Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's 11:15 - Sep 24 with 1357 viewsdurham_exile

Had it not been for the latest COVID 19 restrictions, I together with many more of the faithful would have been standing at the Holker Street end of the ground in Barrow watching the Super U’s this Saturday. I have ordered my programme and will sign up for an iFollow match pass, but it just is not the same.

The sadness for me is that it would have been a new ground and a new team. Although we have played the Bluebirds 14 times, I have not seen them once yet! The last time we met Barrow we were both playing in the Vauxhall Conference and it was 2 May 1992 at Layer Road where a Mike Masters hattrick, Nicky Smith goal and player manager Roy McDonough all scored in a 5-0 win in front of 7,193. The other noteworthy fact is that Graham Poll was the referee that day!

Barrow were voted out of the Football League in 1972 the year that Hereford United were elected. After 48 years they are back and still playing at Holker Street. Although Barrow is now in Cumbria, the town was formerly in Lancashire and the red rose badge is sported on their club badge together with a submarine because of the links to shipbuilding. BAE systems currently manage the facility in Barrow, and they are building the latest Vanguard Class Trident submarines for the Royal Navy.

Managed by David Dunn following the previous manager’s exit to Bolton Wanderers, Barrow are looking to consolidate this season in the Basement League. A draw and a defeat so far in the league following two penalty shoot out cup defeats, but they are happy to be back with the league clubs.

Buoyed by a comprehensive victory over Bolton on Saturday, Steve Ball and Hayden Mullins will travel north full of confidence that their charges can secure the three points at Holker Street.

SB has clearly made his mind up that until Martell Taylor-Crossland is considered match fit he will not entertain a place in the team or on the bench. I suspect that he is hoping that Chuck Norris will return to the team soon. Personally, whilst I acknowledge the need for fitness, I would like to see MTC and Jevani Brown strike up a forward partnership on the field. The video that MFB posted on the U’sual suggested that MTC would be a great addition to the team and I do not want to see him languish in the reserves whilst we wait for the more experienced but mercurial striker to return. We would be missing a trick.

SB does seem to have the defence sorted though. The back four of Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith, and Bramall look to have cemented themselves as permanent fixtures. We must retain Bramall’s services; he is a real diamond in the rough with incredible pace and a wicked left foot free kick.

Dean Gerken has also started the season brightly in goal and his double save against Bradford and safe handling last weekend bodes well.

It is the midfield where SB has yet to decide on his best three or four.

I would go for Pell, Stevenson, and Chilvers but there are others like Senior, Gambin, McLeod, Cowan-Hall, Harriott and Poku, who can all operate either in the centre or out wide.

Jevani Brown already is a contender for player of the season. His return to the team has contributed greatly to our decent start to the season. He has pace, trickery on the ball and gets into goalscoring positions.

If only SB can be encouraged to pay MTC with Brown as a front two or with Brown just behind MTC, I think we could see a player score more than 20 goals in a season for the first time for Colchester since Jamie Cureton.

This Saturday if the game position allows it, I would like to see Samson Tovide given 15 minutes at the end to see what he can do for the team.

No one was more disappointed than me to see Colchester lose 6 quality players at the end of the season, but incredibly we do not seem that have missed Jackson, Prosser, Robinson, Nouble, Comley and Ross so far. A testament to shrewd signings or perhaps the youngsters now called into action have the talent and ability to perform in league two.

The winter months with the heavy pitches and inclement weather will ultimately determine things, but when we played at Salford last season, the weather could not have been more challenging that day and it was Kwame Poku who was Man of the Match that day in the worst of conditions.

Now I do not want you to think that I am wearing my rose-tinted specs and they have coloured my judgement, but there does seem to be a willingness to play for the side and much of the approach play is bright, crisp and pacy.

SB is definitely getting the best out of Jevani Brown, but then JM did not give him many opportunities before his wilderness months with Forest Green Rovers.

The last two days have seen almost constant rain in Durham, but the weekend looks more promising in Cumbria. Weather for Barrow suggests 14 degrees Celsius with some sunshine and cloud but no rain. The pitch surface should hold up well and we can play our passing game.

Harry Pell should be fit for Saturday and if so then SB could do worse than line up as follows:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Harriott Brown Poku

Subs:
George Sowunmi Cowan-Hall Scarlett McLeod Norris Senior

An important update Chuck Norris is apparently fit to travel with the squad. I would imagine he will be on the subs bench instead of Tovide and get about 20 minutes in the second half.

The mistake would however be to replace Brown with Norris rather than playing them both for the last 20.

Another shut out at the back and two more goals in another 2-0 win should secure the points for the U’s

Enjoy the game whether watching or listening on iFollow and Up the U’s

[Post edited 24 Sep 2020 22:31]

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 19:48 - Sep 24 with 1145 viewsmedicine_man

2nd May 1992. What a day. And with the Trophy final still to come it was a great time to be a U's fan. This time around 1-0 will do thank you very much.
Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 07:56 - Sep 25 with 1094 viewsFruitbat

Didn't Warren Donald miss a penalty in that game as well? Should have been 6-0.
Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 08:31 - Sep 25 with 1086 viewsmedicine_man

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 07:56 - Sep 25 by Fruitbat

Didn't Warren Donald miss a penalty in that game as well? Should have been 6-0.

Seem to remember that he was the only player in the team that hadn't scored that season so Big Roy gave him his chance and he blew it. Happy days.
Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 08:38 - Sep 25 with 1084 viewsnoah4x4

I briefly lived near Barrow. The U's visiting Barrow is the biggest local event since the Chewitts Monster ate the Bus Station in the advert. I am gutted I can't be there.
Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 10:35 - Sep 25 with 1072 viewsdurham_exile

Wessex the mention of the 5-0 demolition of Barrow by McDonough's boys has stirred an outpouring of fervour.

It must therefore be a future letter from Wessex!

A win on Saturday might also get a mention as well!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 19:34 - Sep 25 with 1030 viewswessex_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 10:35 - Sep 25 by durham_exile

Wessex the mention of the 5-0 demolition of Barrow by McDonough's boys has stirred an outpouring of fervour.

It must therefore be a future letter from Wessex!

A win on Saturday might also get a mention as well!

Up the U's

On it Durham - have plans brewing, will write and post LfW05 tomorrow before the match.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 14:09 - Sep 26 with 968 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Senior Stevenson Chilvers
Poku Brown Harriott

Subs
George Sowunmi Norris Cowan-Hall Scarlett Gambin McLeod

No Pell again.
Up the U's
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 14:56]

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:28 - Sep 26 with 940 viewsDaniel

Poku fouled, free kick to U's, but Poku has to go off with the physio because he received treatment... I thought they got rid of that rule if the player was injured in the foul that led to the free kick?
Login to get fewer ads

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:34 - Sep 26 with 933 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:28 - Sep 26 by Daniel

Poku fouled, free kick to U's, but Poku has to go off with the physio because he received treatment... I thought they got rid of that rule if the player was injured in the foul that led to the free kick?

Great goal from Chilvers

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:47 - Sep 26 with 921 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:34 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Great goal from Chilvers

HT 1-0 Colchester

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:55 - Sep 26 with 910 viewswessex_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:34 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Great goal from Chilvers

Great strike! To be fair, Barrow have had their chances, and missed a sitter virtually on the goal line.

Up the U's

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:57 - Sep 26 with 909 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:47 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

HT 1-0 Colchester

Good value for the lead.

Eastman and Smith imperious.

Stevenson has shown some great distribution.

Harriott spends too much time on the deck, Senior still guilty of giving the ball away when trying to do too much.

Chilvers outstanding.

Brown has had no service whatsoever but his ball through to Harriott was sublime.

I want to see SB give Norris some minutes with Jevani Brown to see whether they can link up.

Also Paris Cowan-Hall deserves some match time.

All in all, a good half. Quigley the danger man for the Bluebirds but he missed from 3 feet out!

Another goal will see this one out.

Could go equal top tonight.

Up the U's
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 15:59]

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:12 - Sep 26 with 894 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:57 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Good value for the lead.

Eastman and Smith imperious.

Stevenson has shown some great distribution.

Harriott spends too much time on the deck, Senior still guilty of giving the ball away when trying to do too much.

Chilvers outstanding.

Brown has had no service whatsoever but his ball through to Harriott was sublime.

I want to see SB give Norris some minutes with Jevani Brown to see whether they can link up.

Also Paris Cowan-Hall deserves some match time.

All in all, a good half. Quigley the danger man for the Bluebirds but he missed from 3 feet out!

Another goal will see this one out.

Could go equal top tonight.

Up the U's
[Post edited 26 Sep 2020 15:59]

1-1

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:15 - Sep 26 with 893 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:12 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

1-1

The iFollow stream is about two minutes behind sky sports news!!!!!

Colchester need to push on for the win.
The shot from Jones was good but speculative.

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:19 - Sep 26 with 886 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:15 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

The iFollow stream is about two minutes behind sky sports news!!!!!

Colchester need to push on for the win.
The shot from Jones was good but speculative.

Get Senior off and Norris on

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:21 - Sep 26 with 884 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:19 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Get Senior off and Norris on

SB has listened to me

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:24 - Sep 26 with 882 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:21 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

SB has listened to me

Come on the U's

Come on we can win this

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:34 - Sep 26 with 876 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:24 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Come on we can win this

Harriott off Cowan-Hall on

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:40 - Sep 26 with 872 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:34 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Harriott off Cowan-Hall on

Poku off Gambin on

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:52 - Sep 26 with 867 viewsdurham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:40 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

Poku off Gambin on

FT 1-1

Durham_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:57 - Sep 26 with 860 viewsMoor_Pinot

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:52 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

FT 1-1

The National lg starts next Saturday can't we swap Senior with someone from a NL South side who a) can pass & b) is aware of his teammates. Travesty that he plays ahead of Gambin and others. What is it with the U's management, he annoys the hell out all the supporters I know!
An away point, don't begrudge it to Barrow but these are games ball should be setting up to dominate. We didn't.

Moor Pinot

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:58 - Sep 26 with 860 viewswessex_exile

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:52 - Sep 26 by durham_exile

FT 1-1

Disappointing, in that the U's never really got their game going consistently enough. However, Barrow are clearly a tidy side, and might be just as disappointed they didn't win - though on balance a draw was probably the right result. Heyho, still unbeaten...

...shame Southend lost again though

Up the U's

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 19:43 - Sep 26 with 785 viewsLeadbelly

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 16:58 - Sep 26 by wessex_exile

Disappointing, in that the U's never really got their game going consistently enough. However, Barrow are clearly a tidy side, and might be just as disappointed they didn't win - though on balance a draw was probably the right result. Heyho, still unbeaten...

...shame Southend lost again though

From the commentary I heard it sounded like both sides did a decent job of stopping the opposition playing as they wanted. Point away from home not to be sniffed at.

Stick a fork in Southend...they’re done!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Bluebirds to be all at sea against the rejuvenated Super U's on 07:15 - Sep 27 with 708 viewsnoah4x4

Echo the frustration about Senior. Loses the ball far too often. Franky, I don't think we should ever play Senior + Poku + Harriott together. Missing Pell, and Gambin might be less creative but is more solid. It was an entertainingly game, but one we could have dominated if Senior, Poku and Harriott had held onto possession a little more instead of running down blind alleys independent off each other and failing to give Brown any service. It allows oppositions to hoof it forward and the said three then don't work hard enough in defence. I thought we were fortunate not to lose.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024