Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Streaming . 13:05 - Oct 5 with 901 viewsbwildered

Streaming . A new experience, how was it for you ?

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Streaming . on 13:40 - Oct 5 with 894 viewsMoor_Pinot

It's OK BW.
Not like being at a game but that's to be churlish. In these hideous times how lucky we are that we live in an age where the technology can bring us U's games live. I for one am grateful irrespective of my need to live in France.
Stick with it and the quid raised all helps Robbie keep us afloat - for me that's paramount.

Moor Pinot

Streaming . on 16:56 - Oct 5 with 871 viewsthrillseeker

I used ifollow for the first time Saturday and was impressed with the quality.

I will use it again
Streaming . on 17:18 - Oct 5 with 861 viewswessex_exile

I've been using iFollow streaming whenever the rules have allowed since it became a thing, and I think others (Pinault?) would agree the service now is so much better than the early flakey days without even replays of key moments. Obviously Saturday streaming will have to end eventually, once we come out of the crisis, but for now I'm loving it - particularly as I know I'm financially supporting the club in the process.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Streaming . on 21:11 - Oct 5 with 829 viewsghughes11

Gone are the days of no commentary and blurry pictures! Long may that continue!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Streaming . on 07:38 - Oct 6 with 810 viewsnoah4x4

I have been live streaming Colchester & East Essex CC cricket matches for two seasons for both coaching and spectators, so I know a bit more than most about how this technology is employed. See http://colchesteree.play-cricket.com/website/results/4450084 for an example.

At Castle Park, I have to use a fixed camera embracing just the "square" because I can't both score the match and manage camera pan, tilt & zoom to follow the ball beyond the immediate wicket area. If anybody fancies becoming a volunteer camera operator you would be very welcome. Multi-camera broadcasting inevitably requires multiple such operatives plus a media manager to 'mix' the content. Essex Radio then provides the U's and Essex CCC commentary. I have the audio technology at Castle Park, but not the human resource. Again, if somebody wants to have a go at this, please let me know. A Sports Media & Marketing student might benefit from having this iive broadcasting experience on his CV.

I am a volunteer (except when working for Essex CCC), but my point is that we should not underestimate the human resource required to support the U's or Essex CCC live streaming services. OK, the technology at the Jobserve Stadium is supported by the EFL I-Follow system and for professional cricket by the NV-Play system (I use similar kit). But whether at the Jobserve Stadium or at the CloudFM cricket ground/Essex, a significant team of operatives must be employed/paid to deliver the quality that you are witnessing, which is much better than the single camcorder views of past years, albeit that level has moved on too.

My opinion is that £10 for the U's stream is fantastic value as with so few pay per view subscribers there isn't the economies of scale of mainstream broadcasting. Everything must be transmitted by Internet which imposes technical restrictions given barriers such as slow and narrow bandwidth. If Sky/BBC are present, they instead will employ huge trucks with massive satellite dishes and multiple technical experts. So spare a thought for the few people that have done such a great job during the covid-19 pandemic. I reckon they are delivering a fantastic service on a shoestring budget and the quality has been pretty awesome if we respect that. As a spectator, it inevitably doesn't beat travelling to Grimsby on a wet Tuesday night, spending £100 on the priveledge, fish & chips in soggy newspaper, getting home at 01:00 and getting up for work at 06;00. But it's perhaps more than we might hope for in the current difficult times.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2020 7:41]
Streaming . on 16:56 - Oct 6 with 779 viewsdurham_exile

I have used iFollow for the four league games so far since the ban on supporters and it is very good.

Picture quality very good. Sound and commentary ok. I dislike BBC Essex favouring Scummend though but that is akin to The EADT and The Poorman Road outfit.

Unless the supporter ban is lifted I will end up spending £460 plus programmes but I probably spend more than that watching about 18 lives games every season when travelling costs ticket prices and programmes plus diesel fuel costs and food is taken into account.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Streaming . on 17:56 - Oct 6 with 770 viewswessex_exile

Streaming . on 16:56 - Oct 6 by durham_exile

I have used iFollow for the four league games so far since the ban on supporters and it is very good.

Picture quality very good. Sound and commentary ok. I dislike BBC Essex favouring Scummend though but that is akin to The EADT and The Poorman Road outfit.

Unless the supporter ban is lifted I will end up spending £460 plus programmes but I probably spend more than that watching about 18 lives games every season when travelling costs ticket prices and programmes plus diesel fuel costs and food is taken into account.

Up the U's

Likewise - I'd reckon on at least £200+ per month following the U's (trains, beer, tickets, programmes, beer, taxis, beer, kebab etc.), whereas it'll be less than half that on iFollow streaming. I've bought the opening day programme for the Bradford game, but will probably pick and choose if I get any more.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Streaming . on 17:58 - Oct 6 with 770 viewsbwildered

It was my first occasion to use my acquired season past. Logging in seemed more complicated than it should be give that a promo code had to be included and also card details although not charged.
However miss the kick off due to being on a screen with the clubs partners / sponsors continuously being present on view. Not knowing when the streaming actually started , had to change screens to find the watch button, hence missed the kick off. Well hopefully you live and learn for the next time.
Once the live stream was present thereafter, presently surprised by the coverage, apart from the result ! Seemed strange watching from another angle made a different perspective to the game.and players performances.
Attending football is a habit, but streaming will make people lazy in going especially during the winter months so the authorities better be carful thinking this is the future .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Login to get fewer ads

Streaming . on 23:26 - Oct 7 with 723 viewsdurham_exile

Streaming . on 17:58 - Oct 6 by bwildered

It was my first occasion to use my acquired season past. Logging in seemed more complicated than it should be give that a promo code had to be included and also card details although not charged.
However miss the kick off due to being on a screen with the clubs partners / sponsors continuously being present on view. Not knowing when the streaming actually started , had to change screens to find the watch button, hence missed the kick off. Well hopefully you live and learn for the next time.
Once the live stream was present thereafter, presently surprised by the coverage, apart from the result ! Seemed strange watching from another angle made a different perspective to the game.and players performances.
Attending football is a habit, but streaming will make people lazy in going especially during the winter months so the authorities better be carful thinking this is the future .

I have been dealt the ultimate whammy with the initial fixtures given that the Away fixtures at Bradford, Barrow, Walsall, Scunny, and Mansfield were all on my Away day radar.

Still iFollow and Programmes are keeping me in touch with events.

Let us hope that the pressure is brought to bear on the Politicians to relax the blanket ban on Football supporters and also to allow Away Supporters into stadia.

Otherwise when am I going to be able to wear my new Home and Away shirts plus Snood that has just arrived!!!

The coverage on iFollow is very good. My son can also transfer the picture to a SMART TV for me, otherwise I make do with my laptop.

My car has never covered so few miles this yearas a result of the lockdown and ongoing local lockdowns.

I do miss the live games but iFollow is still goo dvalue for money.

Only gripe it is about 2 minutes behind the "live" score update on Sky Sports!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024