Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels 14:35 - Oct 7 with 762 viewsmfb_cufc

Here is a petition to get fans back into stadiums. The morons running the country will probably ignore it, but we have got to try.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

mfb

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 15:18 - Oct 7 with 759 viewsburnsieespana

Signed
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 16:23 - Oct 7 with 750 viewswessex_exile

Saw the link on the OMB and signed also.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 16:34 - Oct 7 with 749 viewsMoor_Pinot

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 16:23 - Oct 7 by wessex_exile

Saw the link on the OMB and signed also.

Signed

Moor Pinot

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 23:13 - Oct 7 with 711 viewsdurham_exile

I have also signed.

Numbers to date on petition 179,398
as at 2310hrs 7 October

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 00:31 - Oct 8 with 704 viewsmfb_cufc

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 23:13 - Oct 7 by durham_exile

I have also signed.

Numbers to date on petition 179,398
as at 2310hrs 7 October

Up the U's

When a petition reaches 100,000 it has to be considered for debate in Parliament.

mfb

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 07:57 - Oct 8 with 691 viewsnoah4x4

I predict within a week there will be further restrictions on bars and hospitality in England because the spread of the virus has rocketed since the hospitality economy reopened, not helped by the 22:00 closures and people then disregarding common sense and continuing drinking elsewhere in less safe environments, ignoring the sensible social distancing established in pubs.

Like the pubs, Football stadiums might potentially be Covid-safe, but people, particularly the young, won’t behave either before or after a match. It is vital we stop large groups congregating together, witness how the disease is now ripping through universities. Brussels and Paris now have almost a total hospitality and entertainment lockdown. I don’t see how the petition to open football grounds can succeed against this dire background until the disease is under control.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 09:13 - Oct 8 with 678 viewsthrillseeker

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 07:57 - Oct 8 by noah4x4

I predict within a week there will be further restrictions on bars and hospitality in England because the spread of the virus has rocketed since the hospitality economy reopened, not helped by the 22:00 closures and people then disregarding common sense and continuing drinking elsewhere in less safe environments, ignoring the sensible social distancing established in pubs.

Like the pubs, Football stadiums might potentially be Covid-safe, but people, particularly the young, won’t behave either before or after a match. It is vital we stop large groups congregating together, witness how the disease is now ripping through universities. Brussels and Paris now have almost a total hospitality and entertainment lockdown. I don’t see how the petition to open football grounds can succeed against this dire background until the disease is under control.

Noah - you state 'I don’t see how the petition to open football grounds can succeed against this dire background until the disease is under control.'

I understand that quote but it is the inconsistency that angers/ annoys people. How is the Royal Albert Hall, an indoor venue being allowed to open and have a 30% capacity whilst an outside arena cannot open at 25% capacity?

The entry system and travel to RAH is also more high risk than entering and travelling to the Community Stadium.

I would prefer restrictions to be 100% or zero not a mish-mash like the present moment
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 10:36]
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 14:16 - Oct 8 with 657 viewsburnsieespana

Lockdowns of any description are only intended to ease the pressure on health services.
The disease will only come under control once a combination of enough people have had exposure to it and the arrival of a vaccine.
The Premiership has no cares about the EFL otherwise they would not have rubbed the noses of the clubs in the mud by the huge expenditure on transfers during the now closed window.
Login to get fewer ads

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 15:47 - Oct 8 with 648 viewsnoah4x4

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 09:13 - Oct 8 by thrillseeker

Noah - you state 'I don’t see how the petition to open football grounds can succeed against this dire background until the disease is under control.'

I understand that quote but it is the inconsistency that angers/ annoys people. How is the Royal Albert Hall, an indoor venue being allowed to open and have a 30% capacity whilst an outside arena cannot open at 25% capacity?

The entry system and travel to RAH is also more high risk than entering and travelling to the Community Stadium.

I would prefer restrictions to be 100% or zero not a mish-mash like the present moment
[Post edited 8 Oct 2020 10:36]

The venues quoted are incomparable as regards the risks. Similarly one can't compare 300 on an aircraft with 30,000 at Old Trafford.

Firstly, the current maximum capacity of the Royal Albert Hall is merely 5,700 including standing (which is not being permitted). If you limit that to the self contained loggia boxes (e.g. naturally isolating groups into seperate 'bubbles' each behind a closed door) and similar segregated seating it is nearer 2,000. 30% of that is merely 600. It's volume of air-space is arguably the largest of any indoor entertainment/hospitality venue per capita in the UK. Social distancing is comfortably possible, whereas it is less possible in (say) a small theatre.

By contrast, 25% of the Jobserve Stadium capacity is 2,500. But 25% of many other EFL stadiums is nearer 6,000, hence TEN times as many persons as are being permitted in the Royal Albert Hall. If public venues are to open (including pubs), there has to be some capacity/volume limit. The Royal Albert Hall is simply at the upper end of that limit.

Secondly, the Royal Albert Hall is in an area where currently fewer than 35 per 100,000 have the disease. To open up football stadiums across the whole of England (as might be necessary else those excluded would cry foul) it would require the inclusion of stadiums in areas where the rate of infection exceeds 100 per 100,000. This is why the Manchester Arena is closed and the Royal Albert Hall remains open, but likely to suffer imminent closure if infection rates rise further in London.

The choice is simple. We either go back into national lockdown and totally cripple the economy and suffer three million plus job losses or we employ selective local lockdown. Thats why the North is under some lockdown and the South not yet. Nationally, the largest venues simply can't open. The Government did attempt to reopen sports stadiums, but that had to cease because of the failure of the third option where everybody was expected to comply with the previous guidance, which persons under 35 now seem intent on ignoring. When people can behave and we stamp down on the virus, then stadiums will reopen and life as we knew it can restart.

I am currently "shielding" for four weeks, not because I am ill, not because I have been in contact with a coronavirus carrier, not even because I am in a vulnerable category.. It is upon medical advice to protect my wife who is about to have surgery and must not be exposed to the virus as the post operative risk of coronovirus and death is extreme. The impact of coronavirus on the NHS extends far beyond the obvious. If we get back to a situation where ITU beds are being blocked by covid victims, deaths from cancer and other health problems will rocket. But the message that you might kill your granny seems to be falling on young deaf ears. The incidence of the virus in universities is shocking.

I spent all summer in a 'bubble' honouring my responsibilities to permit the restarting of professional cricket albeit behind closed doors. Cricket survived, albeit limited to broadcast/streaming, but only because everybody complied with that discipline. By contrast, football and rugby is already steadily deteriorating into chaos (matches cancelled etc) as ever more players test positive because they are not following the required self-isolation disciplines. If clubs can't manage professional players to follow covid-19 disciplines to avoid outbreaks, what hope do we have of them managing fans?

Nobody more than me wants to get back into the Jobseve Stadium, but the petition must fail until we have got to grips with this deadly virus. If somebody could wave a magic wand and end this misery, I am sure they they would. But 43,000 have already died, I fear it could be 250,000 if we don't act as one nation and respect its threat.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 17:33 - Oct 8 with 636 viewsGOSBTS

I echo Noah's sentiments. On top of his arguments:

1) Groups of people go to the football - that's what it's all about. Even if the Community Stadium opened for 2000 individuals in a socially distanced manner for the 90 minutes of the game for groups of 6 or less, groups from different households would inevitably mix outside the stadium (if not in the concourses), in violation of the law.

2) Irrespective of the logic or safety of football stadiums, it would have been complete political suicide for the government to allow the partial reopening of football stadiums at the same time as restricting the opening hours of bars and restaurants and limiting gatherings to 6. How on earth would they have sold restricting the nation's freedoms further, except for football fans who get allowances?

I also feel uneasy about the PL being expected to bail out the EFL. This isn't only because I'm a fan of a PL club that is very well run, but moreso because of having listened to the Price of Football podcast for the past 6 months, the EFL has serious structural problems. Why should the PL bail out the Championship, where the majority of clubs are not financially viable and that money could easily help them mount a promotion run which displaces a PL club which funded them? League One is complicated as you have clubs like Sunderland which are just as bad.

Then we get to League Two, who I feel would be more deserving of any money. Not only would the money come with strings attached, but I personally feel uneasy about the PL or government being made to bail out a club like ours. Is it not my responsibility as a fan to put my hand in my pocket to help the U's? So far I haven't bought a single match pass (but I would have attended games in person if not for Covid), so I feel like it's my responsibility first rather than anybody else's.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 18:50 - Oct 8 with 628 viewsnoah4x4

I would add that in March, the foresighted ECB unveiled a £61M support package for professional and recreational cricket. Clubs then furloughed staff hence enjoying direct Government support. Cricket, not the richest of sports, has survived 2020 despite having zero spectator income.

By contrast, Premier League Football splashed out an incredible £1.24 BILLION on 107 permanent signings during this Transfer Window. Allowing for the money recovered on player sales, that was a net £880M on new players. If just 10% had been redirected to the EFL, it would wipe out most concerns. Frankly, I am fed up with football hanging out the begging bowl and blaming Government. Premier Division clubs don't need spectators, but they do need the EFL. One weeks wage from Gareth Bale would support Colchester United until Christmas. It's time Marcus Rashford started a new campaign....
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 21:11 - Oct 8 with 613 viewsGOSBTS

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 18:50 - Oct 8 by noah4x4

I would add that in March, the foresighted ECB unveiled a £61M support package for professional and recreational cricket. Clubs then furloughed staff hence enjoying direct Government support. Cricket, not the richest of sports, has survived 2020 despite having zero spectator income.

By contrast, Premier League Football splashed out an incredible £1.24 BILLION on 107 permanent signings during this Transfer Window. Allowing for the money recovered on player sales, that was a net £880M on new players. If just 10% had been redirected to the EFL, it would wipe out most concerns. Frankly, I am fed up with football hanging out the begging bowl and blaming Government. Premier Division clubs don't need spectators, but they do need the EFL. One weeks wage from Gareth Bale would support Colchester United until Christmas. It's time Marcus Rashford started a new campaign....

Only problem with that Noah is who would the PL be giving money to - the whole EFL or just those in Leagues 1 and 2? As a fan of a well-run, lower end PL team, I'd be extremely uncomfortable with Brighton diverting money to teams in the Championship like Derby, Reading etc who are not only financially haemorrhaging money, but could very well end up using that money to replace us in the Prem in a year or two. And if the money only went to League Two, what stipulations would the Prem put on that money? As bwildered posted in another thread, Man City have apparently been talking about a caveat to any money given being that they'd be allowed a B team in the EFL. That, in my opinion, would severely damage the integrity of the league and the future of clubs like the U's.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 23:04 - Oct 8 with 605 viewsnoah4x4

Exactly. Nothing is easy, every potential solution has a price. But Manchester City Women would probably beat Southend, whilst their B team would annihilate most of Division Two. We can’t beat U21 sides. What is needed is a proper reserve competition like in the old days. But quite clearly, support has to go to Divisions One and Two. Championship clubs already enjoy parachute payments and sufficient TV revenue.

Another thought. With 1 in 142 persons in Nottingham testing positive that means within a limited 5000 crowd at Forest that might potentially include 35 carriers. If the R rate is 3 (as it was in April), the entire crowd might be infected inside 30 days.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 09:13 - Oct 9 with 582 viewsDaniel

Petition is up to 190k. Considering the number of supporters that would normally attend a football match over a weekend, that to me doesn't seem that big a number.
Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 11:02 - Oct 9 with 576 viewsnoah4x4

Petition - Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels on 09:13 - Oct 9 by Daniel

Petition is up to 190k. Considering the number of supporters that would normally attend a football match over a weekend, that to me doesn't seem that big a number.

I think the vast majority of people realise reopening football stadiums simply isn’t viable.

If the Times newspaper and BBC is to be believed, the North of England is imminently facing a total shut down of pubs and hospitality from Monday, supported by a more targeted revised furlough scheme to assist that sector. I am sure that any such lockdown decision was made promptly based on the scientific evidence. But given the extent of existing furlough and grant fraud it has taken longer to devise the supporting financial package. Formally announcing the further lockdown before the cash support announcement was ready would be political suicide, hence why the former has been leaked to the media for it to speculate yet highlight the gravity of the situation. Around one in 120 persons now have the virus in Nottingham. Football fans in stadiums has to take a back seat. Let’s be thankful the Victoria Inn and Bricklayers remain open.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024