Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL increase available substitutes 13:08 - Nov 18 with 541 viewswessex_exile

The EFL have announced that whilst there will still be seven players on the bench, as of midday on Friday clubs can for the time being use up to five of them if needs be.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/november/efl-statement-five-substitutes/

We kick off 45 minutes earlier than Coventry v Birmingham on Friday night, so could we be the first club in a competitive match to use five substitutes? If we're 3-0 up (or down) with a few minutes to go, I'd do it just for a laugh.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

EFL increase available substitutes on 18:29 - Nov 18 with 513 viewsnoah4x4

Most of our subs are used to only getting five minutes.
EFL increase available substitutes on 19:20 - Nov 18 with 501 viewswessex_exile

EFL increase available substitutes on 18:29 - Nov 18 by noah4x4

Most of our subs are used to only getting five minutes.

It looks like Steve Ball may be starting to buck that particular (unwelcome) trend. Our very own Matt Hudson, formerly of this parish, addressed this particular point on an OMB post earlier today. His analysis concludes "...had a look at this over lunch and Steve's used 47 of the 48 subs available to him in his time in charge so far [and] he does tend to be proactive with his subs - average time of first substitution is the 65th minute". Interesting stats I think.

Up the U's

EFL increase available substitutes on 19:58 - Nov 18 with 497 viewsnoah4x4

Five would make sense if compulsory concussion substitutes are ever required.

On a related subject. Did anybody else smile today when Sir Geoff Hurst on TV when talking about the very serious issue of heading the ball induced dementia repeatedly answered every question by saying “off the top of my head .......”?

I recall those old leather balls when wet. I also remember three sharp nails in each leather stud and crunching slide tackles likely to leave three tetanus infected stud stripes in your calf. But I was sent to a Rugby only school, so could more subtly reek revenge where I felt it desirable.
EFL increase available substitutes on 20:56 - Nov 18 with 489 viewsgerry_us

Oh happy days with the old leather balls with the laces. My goal kicks rarely got further than 10 yards out of the penalty area and when it was really wet....well!
Those were the days when goal kicks went to the nearest fullback and then returned to the keeper to clear with a drop kick, hopefully to half way.
Luckily, being a goalie, I was never called on to head what could be more like a wet leather medicine ball. No surprises then that some damage has occurred to those who headed regularly. Fortunately balls are so much lighter now.
EFL increase available substitutes on 21:56 - Nov 18 with 475 viewswessex_exile

On a related note, I remember when playing hockey down at Sheepen Road, a top tip was to scoop up a lump of the copious dog turd lying around and slap it against the leg of an opposing player

Up the U's

EFL increase available substitutes on 22:33 - Nov 18 with 468 viewspwrightsknees

EFL increase available substitutes on 20:56 - Nov 18 by gerry_us

Oh happy days with the old leather balls with the laces. My goal kicks rarely got further than 10 yards out of the penalty area and when it was really wet....well!
Those were the days when goal kicks went to the nearest fullback and then returned to the keeper to clear with a drop kick, hopefully to half way.
Luckily, being a goalie, I was never called on to head what could be more like a wet leather medicine ball. No surprises then that some damage has occurred to those who headed regularly. Fortunately balls are so much lighter now.

Good post Gerry.

But heading a ball doesn't just cause head and brain injuries. I never played any better than Sunday League in the 60s and 70s. I was never very good with my feet, but I was useful with my head, and, firstly as a centre-forward, I scored a lot of goals that way, and then as a centre back, I could handle most strikers in the air.

The old laced ball was replaced in the late 1960s, thank goodness.

I've never experienced any brain damage (you can't damage what's not there in the first place), but heading the ball in the 60's and 70s, manifested itself in 2005 when I completely lost use of my right arm.

It turned out that heading the ball had damage the three vertebrae in my neck - those which control the nerves and muscles in the arm. I had to undergo an operation to have the vertebrae caged in plastic to protect them.

But there was a problem in that the operation could not be performed from the back of the neck because of the risk of damage to the spinal chord. So, they cut my throat and operated from the front.

After a short while and lots of physiotherapy, I regained use of my right arm. It will only ever recover to no more than 80% strength and manoeuvrability, but I've got by for the last 15 years.

The point I am making is that heading a football can cause more than dementia and alzheimers, which are bad enough, but other injuries can ensue, too.

Having thoroughly enjoyed playing football, and heading the ball, I now believe that restrictions must be imposed.
EFL increase available substitutes on 14:25 - Nov 19 with 432 viewsburnsieespana

How I recall around 1962/3/4/5 playing for my employer on wet days on pitches like the Zambezi!
A trip to the local A & E was a regular by occurrence although I have to say I had far more serious injuries playing cricket to my hands which still bear the scars and give me gyp every winter.
Like Gerry I spent a fair amount of time in goal and handling a soggy lace ball in midwinter rain was not a lot of fun.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024