Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester United v Derby County revisited 21:43 - Nov 19 with 808 viewsTheHappyGooner

Only played each other 5 time’s

Both won 2 games so deadlocked

I went to both games in 2006 at Layer Road

3-1 and 4-3 respectively and I stormed the Derby Coach after the FA cup game to berate the players

What great atmospheres especially the first game.

14 years ago - blimey

The clock is ticking

All I know is people will never ever again experience the great football atmospheres

That’s the way it goes

Nothing lasts forever. 🙌
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 4:40]

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 22:35 - Nov 19 with 791 viewsdurham_exile

Mr Happy
The match in 1977 at Layer Road which finished 1-1 was a dramatic affair (note one for Wessex in future recollections).

14,030 packed into Layer Road including me. Derby managed by the Doc and containing McFarland Todd Gemmill Hayles Hector and James led for what seemed like an age and after 99 minutes Colin Garwood scored a superb equaliser.

Cue emotional scenes. Bobby Roberts and his charges deserved the replay. Superb stuff and a great game which was on Match of the Day.

Reports are that supporters could be allowed back by Christmas. Roots Hall on Boxing Day will be a feisty affair especially if the faithful can attend!

Up the U's
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 22:37]

Durham_exile

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 23:34 - Nov 19 with 777 viewswessex_exile

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 22:35 - Nov 19 by durham_exile

Mr Happy
The match in 1977 at Layer Road which finished 1-1 was a dramatic affair (note one for Wessex in future recollections).

14,030 packed into Layer Road including me. Derby managed by the Doc and containing McFarland Todd Gemmill Hayles Hector and James led for what seemed like an age and after 99 minutes Colin Garwood scored a superb equaliser.

Cue emotional scenes. Bobby Roberts and his charges deserved the replay. Superb stuff and a great game which was on Match of the Day.

Reports are that supporters could be allowed back by Christmas. Roots Hall on Boxing Day will be a feisty affair especially if the faithful can attend!

Up the U's

I too was at the 1-1, jammed into the Layer Rd end for the second half to witness Garwood's oh so late drilled and well-deserved equaliser. With apologies to Mr Happy's sensitivities, we had that much extra-time because Derby were terrified, and spent most of the second half shamelessly time-wasting and booting the ball out of the ground at every opportunity. I didn't travel for the replay, but watched it on the TV, and again we had them running scared, desperate to hold on to their slender 1-0 lead. In 'happier' times, I also had the pleasure of meeting Haps before the 3-1 match at Layer Rd, where he presented me with my Happy League winner trophy - a U's mug which I still have to this day. I found out after that he'd stormed the team coach to berate the players, and I wasn't surprised - proper fan, proper passion, and they needed telling.

edit: I remember reading at the time that the roar for Garwood's equaliser was heard on the High Street - I can believe it too.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 23:45]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 04:46 - Nov 20 with 755 viewsTheHappyGooner

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 22:35 - Nov 19 by durham_exile

Mr Happy

Up the U's

Brilliant ! We were already in decline only two years after winning the league and a year after we signed Charlie George in 1976 when they say not for injuries we would have won the double ..things happen so quick - Derek Hayles was a dud for us.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 4:47]

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 04:49 - Nov 20 with 750 viewsTheHappyGooner

Colchester United v Derby County revisited on 23:34 - Nov 19 by wessex_exile

I too was at the 1-1, jammed into the Layer Rd end for the second half to witness Garwood's oh so late drilled and well-deserved equaliser. With apologies to Mr Happy's sensitivities, we had that much extra-time because Derby were terrified, and spent most of the second half shamelessly time-wasting and booting the ball out of the ground at every opportunity. I didn't travel for the replay, but watched it on the TV, and again we had them running scared, desperate to hold on to their slender 1-0 lead. In 'happier' times, I also had the pleasure of meeting Haps before the 3-1 match at Layer Rd, where he presented me with my Happy League winner trophy - a U's mug which I still have to this day. I found out after that he'd stormed the team coach to berate the players, and I wasn't surprised - proper fan, proper passion, and they needed telling.

edit: I remember reading at the time that the roar for Garwood's equaliser was heard on the High Street - I can believe it too.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 23:45]

Haha - excellent - seems like yesterday !!👍😄

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024