Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight 10:33 - Nov 20 with 1226 viewsdurham_exile

The promotion chasing U’s, under the guidance of SB head to Field Mill this evening (7pm kick off) for an intriguing game against rejuvenated Mansfield Town, who are now managed by Nigel Clough.

The first of an away double header that sees us travel to St James’ Park next Tuesday. But first having risen to seventh in the table, we have the chance to keep our league winning sequence this time against the Stags. Now Field Mill is one of those grounds where I normally watch the U’s draw but last season, we managed a 3-2 victory and a similar scoreline tonight would be most satisfying, but it will be difficult simply because Mansfield are in a false league position languishing in 21st. Mansfield must be respected because they have recently triumphed at the Stadium of Light in a FA Cup match.

But this is a strange season not only because of the COVID restrictions but also because we have unearthed a striker who could eclipse 20 goals in a single season for the U’s for the first time since JC and RM.

What Jevani Brown has added to the team is a confidence in front of goal, the ability to score from acute angles and to demonstrate an assuredness that he will create and convert chances either ones that he has made himself or that have been provided to him. It is well documented that we failed to get anything from him last season, but SB should be applauded for giving JB the opportunity and it has worked spectacularly. His pace is frightening, probably only Cohen Bramall in the team is faster over 30 metres.
But he does need support and it seems that Michael Folivi is the player to supply that. SB relented and played the two from the start against Orient (even if there was confusion in the COLU Twitter feed that Josh Bohui was both starting and occupying the bench). They combined effectively and that is what always works well.

I have never been a fan of a single striker, especially away from home where the feeling of isolation is akin to self-isolating at home during lockdown. I know because I have been there!

SB has stated that he is not afraid to tinker with a winning team. I hope the only tinkering that he is considering is the welcome return of Ben Stevenson. Chuck has been a good servant but I see him as a sub to be given 20 minutes or so in the second half unless SB can see an opportunity for him to play as the Number 9 with JB as the number 10 but would SB countenance Folivi as well in the same team. I suspect not.

Perhaps Smith was preoccupied about playing for New Zealand against England at Wembley but once that was squashed because of you know what, he does seem to have played some solid games after some woeful ones. Welch-Hayes and Bramall could become two of the best full backs that we have ever had. Have we truly forgotten about Ryan Jackson already? Also, when we played Stevenage Luke Prosser was anonymous during the match and Brandon Comley was quiet when we played Bolton Wanderers. Only Big Frank seems to still be creating headlines with his shot which was turned into the net by a luckless defender for Plymouth against Pompey in the recently televised Dockyard Derby.

What I am saying is that many of us, myself included, were disappointed when the Colchester four were summarily dismissed at the end of last season. Ethan Ross also left for Lincoln but has only managed only two appearances for the Sincil Bank outfit. The side has been resilient since then and replacements have at least been equal to or more properly greater than their predecessors.

Tom Eastman remains a colossus at the back for Colchester and despite his inconsistency Tommy Smith shows promise. Omar Sowunmi has proved a confident deputy when the opportunity is given to him and perhaps was unlucky not to start against Orient.

In midfield the main difficulty is that SB will not drop his favourite wide midfield players like Senior when the dream team is Stevenson, Pell and Chilvers who has been a revelation this season.

Up front I would like to see Brown, Folivi and Poku or Bohui. Harriott and Gambin are both good players but both drift in and out of games.

Substitutes become even more important this evening with up to five allowed in a league game.

So, starting XI tonight:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Poku Folivi

Brown

Subs:

George Sowunmi Cowan-Hall Clampin Norris Bohui Senior

Tom Lapslie is close to returning and we also have Miquel Scarlett and Ryan Clampin waiting in the wings. Similarly, Marley Marshall and Samson Tovide.

Greg Halford should not trouble the judges in the Luxembourg Jury, he is yesterday’s player, and we could not justify dispensing with seasoned pros simply to bring someone in who has not played for months.

The weather this evening in Mansfield will be 10 degrees Celsius and sadly more light rain. The pitch will be greasy and possibly heavy but at this time of the year we can expect such surfaces.

The league table looks more promising:

Newport 11 25
Cambridge 12 24
Cheltenham 12 22
Exeter 12 21
FGR 12 21
Carlisle 12 20
COLU 11 19
Port Vale 12 19

Our game in hand is the Scunny match rescheduled for Tuesday 8 December.

And the encouraging news does not just stop with up to 5 subs allowed in a game, there are official noises that supporters could be allowed back into stadia before Christmas. The Morecambe Home game could be a starter for ten, but the prospect of a feisty Boxing Day clash against Southend at Roots Hall with many of the faithful present would be the ultimate Christmas present.

Do not forget the action tonight starts at 1900hrs at Field Mill and Colchester to win a close affair 2-1 to maintain the promotion challenge. Enjoy.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 16:50 - Nov 20 with 697 viewsnoah4x4

Getting into a routine now. Set up the computer, plug HDMI cable into TV; read Durham's excellent preview. Watch match.

I do miss the journey up the A1, the pub (or the half-decent clubhouse at Field Mill) and pre and post match live banter. Lockdown, sadly, doesn't seem to be helping my waistline. But I suspect tonight could be season defining for both clubs. Mansfield have aggressively recruited and spent big bucks over a few seasons. Under the new management of Nigel Clough, I think they remain promotion prospects. A win tonight would also fill the U's with greater confidence having dispensed with weaklings like Stevenage and Orient.

Can't wait for kick off.
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 18:47 - Nov 20 with 666 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 16:50 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

Getting into a routine now. Set up the computer, plug HDMI cable into TV; read Durham's excellent preview. Watch match.

I do miss the journey up the A1, the pub (or the half-decent clubhouse at Field Mill) and pre and post match live banter. Lockdown, sadly, doesn't seem to be helping my waistline. But I suspect tonight could be season defining for both clubs. Mansfield have aggressively recruited and spent big bucks over a few seasons. Under the new management of Nigel Clough, I think they remain promotion prospects. A win tonight would also fill the U's with greater confidence having dispensed with weaklings like Stevenage and Orient.

Can't wait for kick off.

Noah enjoy the game

Team

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall
Stevenson Chilvers Pell
Poku Senior
Brown

Subs
George Sowunmi Norris Harriott Scarlett Bohui Folivi

If only he'd started Folivi instead of Senior still we can't have everything

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 18:58 - Nov 20 with 657 viewsnoah4x4

Two tough distant away trips in five days. I can understand why he might want to limit/share stamina sapping playing time between Senior, Folivi, Bohui, Harriott and Poku.
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:20 - Nov 20 with 645 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 18:58 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

Two tough distant away trips in five days. I can understand why he might want to limit/share stamina sapping playing time between Senior, Folivi, Bohui, Harriott and Poku.

Too many balls are being sent high. Play on the deck.
Wet and windy at Field Mill

Not too much attacking intent yet one pass which was overhit for JB

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:30 - Nov 20 with 641 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:20 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Too many balls are being sent high. Play on the deck.
Wet and windy at Field Mill

Not too much attacking intent yet one pass which was overhit for JB

I simply don't know why we sit back so much.
Away games are not intimidating there are no supporters

Let's get the ball forward quicker and gain the initiative.

Senior shouldn't be on the pitch Folivi much better option

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:36 - Nov 20 with 636 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:30 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

I simply don't know why we sit back so much.
Away games are not intimidating there are no supporters

Let's get the ball forward quicker and gain the initiative.

Senior shouldn't be on the pitch Folivi much better option

Up the U's

JB much too isolated and having to do everything himself.

SB must realise that two strikers are essential

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:48 - Nov 20 with 625 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:36 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

JB much too isolated and having to do everything himself.

SB must realise that two strikers are essential

HT
iFollow is over 2 mins behind

Good save from Gerken

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:50 - Nov 20 with 618 viewsnoah4x4

First goal will decide. Both teams resolute in defence. No service to Brown. I would swap Folivi for Senior given we can use five subs.
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:11 - Nov 20 with 597 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 19:50 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

First goal will decide. Both teams resolute in defence. No service to Brown. I would swap Folivi for Senior given we can use five subs.

It is wet the pitch is greasy and sapping.
Get Senior off and Folivi on fresh legs are needed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:14 - Nov 20 with 592 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:11 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

It is wet the pitch is greasy and sapping.
Get Senior off and Folivi on fresh legs are needed.

Up the U's

Also 0-0 at St Andrews

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:19 - Nov 20 with 588 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:14 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Also 0-0 at St Andrews

Come on the U's

SB subs needed now
Get Senior off now

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:21 - Nov 20 with 585 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:19 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

SB subs needed now
Get Senior off now

Harriott on for Poku

Get Senior off too

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:23 - Nov 20 with 584 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:21 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Harriott on for Poku

Get Senior off too

Disgraceful challenge on Stevenson

Why can't SB see that Brown needs support up front if we are to win this game az

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:28 - Nov 20 with 575 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:23 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Disgraceful challenge on Stevenson

Why can't SB see that Brown needs support up front if we are to win this game az

Shocking from Gerken

Now SB a second striker

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:28 - Nov 20 with 571 viewsnoah4x4

Gerken blunder. 1 0.

Hooray, Folivi and Bohui on. Senior off.
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:29 - Nov 20 with 568 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:28 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Shocking from Gerken

Now SB a second striker

This is why our away record is so poor

We sit back
Only one striker
No attacking intent
Failure to bring attacking players on
Senior poor

I am seething

Come on

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:31 - Nov 20 with 562 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:29 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

This is why our away record is so poor

We sit back
Only one striker
No attacking intent
Failure to bring attacking players on
Senior poor

I am seething

Come on

Stevenson and Senior off
Folivi and Bohui on

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:31 - Nov 20 with 562 viewsnoah4x4

Only seething? Incandescent with rage!
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:33 - Nov 20 with 559 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:31 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

Only seething? Incandescent with rage!

Noah all of the above

Harriott has done nothing since coming on

Give Chuck some red meat and get him on

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:39 - Nov 20 with 551 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:33 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Noah all of the above

Are we still playing six at the back?
Just look at our away record to understand the philosophy.
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:41 - Nov 20 with 549 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:33 - Nov 20 by durham_exile

Noah all of the above

Once again we are chasing the game and only now are showing any urgency.

We cannot play poorly for 67 mins and then concede a poor goal and only then make attacking subs and expect them to turn things around.

Come on we are now struggling to secure a point in what is turning into another poor game.

Welch Hayes off and Chuck on

Now come on

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:43 - Nov 20 with 542 viewsnoah4x4

Chuck 1-1
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:45 - Nov 20 with 534 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:43 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

Chuck 1-1

Get in

Now no repeat of Newport

Durham_exile

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:45 - Nov 20 with 534 viewsthrillseeker

Just realised it was Tom Lapslie's brother who had the assist for the Mansfield goal
Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:45 - Nov 20 with 532 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to ensure Stags remain in a rut tonight on 20:43 - Nov 20 by noah4x4

Chuck 1-1

Good call Peter
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024