Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worrying signs at Roots Hall 10:19 - Nov 21 with 597 viewswessex_exile

Southend have postponed today’s match against Cambridge United, apparently because of a small number of +ve tests, and only having 10 fit players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55025064

Okay, so my best wishes to those who have COVID-19, but what’s the other bit about, how can that be? Our rivalry can be as intense as any in football at times - we absolutely love it when they lose, when they’re relegated, when all manner of football-related misfortune is visited upon them, but to me this announcement is very worrying. It’s starting to sound like someone somewhere is coming to the conclusion that Southend United Football Club is no longer a going concern? Cambridge United have made representations to the EFL, so I guess we might hear more about this in due course.

Rivalry is one thing, but the Football Family is bigger.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 10:49 - Nov 21 with 585 viewsLeadbelly

I think the crucial phrase in the article is “available to play”. Whilst the number of positive tests may be small there could be a more significant number of players now self isolating and, therefore, unable to play.

I don’t disagree, however, that these are worrying times for Southend. They have had financial problems for what seems like forever and this year must have exacerbated those, as will be the case at many other clubs. Ron Martin has an impressive record when it comes to brinkmanship but the COVID crisis may be the straw that breaks the camel’s back...but I do hope not.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 11:18 - Nov 21 with 576 viewsbwildered

What’s that coming over the hill, relegation / resignation - delete where applicable.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 12:19 - Nov 21 with 565 viewspwrightsknees

Wishing those Southend players who have tested positive a speedy and full recovery.

Yes, we are fierce rivals, of course. But there is no point in having local rivals if you can't play against them.

So. Keep going Southend and let's play again and again (U's always winning, of course).

Up the U's
Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 15:34 - Nov 21 with 543 viewsMoor_Pinot

Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 12:19 - Nov 21 by pwrightsknees

Wishing those Southend players who have tested positive a speedy and full recovery.

Yes, we are fierce rivals, of course. But there is no point in having local rivals if you can't play against them.

So. Keep going Southend and let's play again and again (U's always winning, of course).

Up the U's

Hear hear PWK. Always enjoyed my visits there, working there for eight years wasn't so bad either but it isn't as pretty as good ole north Issix!

Moor Pinot

Worrying signs at Roots Hall on 10:24 - Nov 22 with 492 viewsburnsieespana

Wishing all concerned at Southend a speedy recovery.
Last thing we want is Southend to go the way of Bury.
Relagation to the National League is one thing but bankruptcy is another so indeed very worrying signs which frankly have been evident for a few years.
Not sure backing Brown with his high wages for former higher league players in decline was the right way forward but it held out the prospect of promotion to to he Championship.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2020 10:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024