Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs 17:47 - Nov 29 with 2334 viewsMytchettSaint

Last two games with the team on the back foot and looking particularly leggy I’ve thought we needed fresh legs on. I know Nick made a defence of Ralph after wolves in saying we have a lot of youngsters on the bench and sticking them on when we’re holding on might not be for the best - a vaild point I’ll give him - but we really needed some energy out there the last 15-20 minutes. Too many mistakes that could be attributed to fatigue I think. Long came on and did what he usually does, nothing apart from win a free kick in the middle of the pitch. Diallo coming on in the 89th minute just to try and run the clock down (let’s face it, any sub coming on that late is for that reason alone barring an injury to someone) was the sum total of an attempt to see out the game. He really does need to address this. I don’t want him to do what Adkins used to do and bring on 3 in the space of 5 minutes and us suffer that way but he really needs to look at this element of his management.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:50 - Nov 29 with 2323 viewsSadoldgit

Perhaps if we had more quality on the bench he would bring them on earlier?
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:59 - Nov 29 with 2296 viewsSonicBoom

I thought the same. At least Diallo when we were under the cosh in midfield. Ges looked pretty good the times we've seen him. We might as well have at least tried him as every saints fan knew exactly what was going to happen the moment they got their first goal.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:59 - Nov 29 with 2296 viewsI_would

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:50 - Nov 29 by Sadoldgit

Perhaps if we had more quality on the bench he would bring them on earlier?

The whole bench was better quality than Long. Long is actually worse than nothing.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 18:01 - Nov 29 with 2293 viewssaint22

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:59 - Nov 29 by SonicBoom

I thought the same. At least Diallo when we were under the cosh in midfield. Ges looked pretty good the times we've seen him. We might as well have at least tried him as every saints fan knew exactly what was going to happen the moment they got their first goal.

Too late as always
65 minutes was the time for a double sub
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 07:43 - Nov 30 with 2130 viewsdirk_doone

The problem is we always play so much worse when we bring our subs on. Teams like United could bring 5 good subs on whereas we struggle to bring on even one. Even a tired first choice forward is better than Shane Long. He is the perfect sub for the opposition as he poses zero goal threat, stops our attacks and constantly gives possession away. It's almost like playing 10 men against 12. If you want someone to wrap the game up for the opposition, he's your man.

We were winning until Long came on for Djenepo. The same thing happened when he replaced Gabbiadini in the League Cup Final. United must love seeing him replace one of our players.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 10:51]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 13:53 - Nov 30 with 1977 viewsDorsetIan

He's impressed in plenty of other ways, but timing substitutions has never really been Ralph's strong point.

Fundamentally though, our bench is now pretty weak, especially when compared to the first 11.

Can't help but think back to those games shortly before Boufal stubbed his toe when he would come off the bench to really put the fear of God into tired defenders. Exactly a year ago today, he came on in the 57th minute against Watford at home and we turned 0-1 to 2-1.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:18 - Nov 30 with 1965 viewsI_would

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 13:53 - Nov 30 by DorsetIan

He's impressed in plenty of other ways, but timing substitutions has never really been Ralph's strong point.

Fundamentally though, our bench is now pretty weak, especially when compared to the first 11.

Can't help but think back to those games shortly before Boufal stubbed his toe when he would come off the bench to really put the fear of God into tired defenders. Exactly a year ago today, he came on in the 57th minute against Watford at home and we turned 0-1 to 2-1.

The problem is Ralph rated JWP more than Boufal and he thinks putting Long on when you're in front is a better idea than Diallo. He also thought risking Ingsy to injury when we're 4-0 up is good management .

Results bill be high up and low down until Ralph is changed with the new owners. If Ralph persists in bad decisions the takeover will be sooner than we thought. Ralph Hassenaclue.

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:20 - Nov 30 with 1961 viewsPatfromPoole

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:18 - Nov 30 by I_would

The problem is Ralph rated JWP more than Boufal and he thinks putting Long on when you're in front is a better idea than Diallo. He also thought risking Ingsy to injury when we're 4-0 up is good management .

Results bill be high up and low down until Ralph is changed with the new owners. If Ralph persists in bad decisions the takeover will be sooner than we thought. Ralph Hassenaclue.

Are you still slating JWP?

You’ll be denying the invention of the telephone next.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Login to get fewer ads

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:36 - Nov 30 with 1950 viewsSonicBoom

Strange how Ralph is in favour of 5 subs, but never uses the ones he has now.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:41 - Nov 30 with 1951 viewsMRHALL93

We talk about the lack of quality on our bench. However, Ralph constantly talks about playing as a team with his pressing style will win us games, and it does. If his high press system has been ingrained into the players as he suggests then surely he should have no problem bringing on fresh legs as long as they're playing their preferred position as they will slot in. I thought that was why we now have a B team and not under 23's as everyone plays a role in his system so if we do have injuries new young players should be able to seamlessly slot in and we saw that to some extend last season with Smallbone featuring in a couple of games.

My opinion is he sees a player starting to flag, you have the option to replace them with someone in the same position. An example yesterday, we saw Romeu start to flag, we signed Diallo as a cover for our DM's why not bring him on.

Equally, from Ralph's perspective, the risk of using all 3 substitutes too early is then if we suffer an injury than we run the risk of only finishing the game with 10 men.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:42 - Nov 30 with 1948 viewsJaySaint

If Diallo is not good enough to get more than a few mins, why on earth did we buy him?

as for Salisu......

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:54 - Nov 30 with 1943 viewsdirk_doone

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:41 - Nov 30 by MRHALL93

We talk about the lack of quality on our bench. However, Ralph constantly talks about playing as a team with his pressing style will win us games, and it does. If his high press system has been ingrained into the players as he suggests then surely he should have no problem bringing on fresh legs as long as they're playing their preferred position as they will slot in. I thought that was why we now have a B team and not under 23's as everyone plays a role in his system so if we do have injuries new young players should be able to seamlessly slot in and we saw that to some extend last season with Smallbone featuring in a couple of games.

My opinion is he sees a player starting to flag, you have the option to replace them with someone in the same position. An example yesterday, we saw Romeu start to flag, we signed Diallo as a cover for our DM's why not bring him on.

Equally, from Ralph's perspective, the risk of using all 3 substitutes too early is then if we suffer an injury than we run the risk of only finishing the game with 10 men.

We even saw it when Obafemi came on at Old Trafford and scored. I'd love to see N'Lundulu and Tella come on for the final 10 or 15 minutes rather than Long. We were lucky when Long came on at Villa that we had such a big lead.

[Post edited 30 Nov 2020 15:04]

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 15:08 - Nov 30 with 1930 viewsTimSaint

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 13:53 - Nov 30 by DorsetIan

Had Boufal been on our bench yesterday, we would still have had a weak bench !!

It just goes to show that we have a core of about 14 players, a few fringe players and a few youngsters. United probably have 20 or so internationals, such is the gulf between us !!

TimSaint

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 15:42 - Nov 30 with 1907 viewsBerber

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:18 - Nov 30 by I_would

I'm with Ralph on this one. JWP was, is and always will be better than Boufal. Boufal spent years doing next to nothing, and certainly wouldn't rank high in my tactical substitutions list.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 15:54 - Nov 30 with 1897 viewsI_would

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 15:42 - Nov 30 by Berber

I'm with Ralph on this one. JWP was, is and always will be better than Boufal. Boufal spent years doing next to nothing, and certainly wouldn't rank high in my tactical substitutions list.

He spent years doing nothing here because Ralph has his favourites and doesn't understand how to get the best out of these sort of talents as he only interested in players who run run and run. If you don't like watching people who play like Boufal on the ball and you prefer to watch Prowsey then you don't like football. You might as well watch 10,000m races.

Koeman got us into Europe, got us well into the top half, managed Netherlands and now manages Barcelona. He didn't rate Prowsey either.

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 16:09 - Nov 30 with 1887 viewsBerber

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 15:54 - Nov 30 by I_would

He spent years doing nothing here because Ralph has his favourites and doesn't understand how to get the best out of these sort of talents as he only interested in players who run run and run. If you don't like watching people who play like Boufal on the ball and you prefer to watch Prowsey then you don't like football. You might as well watch 10,000m races.

Koeman got us into Europe, got us well into the top half, managed Netherlands and now manages Barcelona. He didn't rate Prowsey either.

Quite simply, I'd rather watch this team with JWP than any with Boufal in. If Boufal is your thing, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But football is a team game, and JWP is a far better team player than Boufal is, or ever will be. Koeman has just ditched one of the hardest working, skilful, team conscious, prolific goalscorers and provider of assists in the world (even if he can act like a tw*t). Not sure how that version of Koeman fits with your definition of good football.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 16:37 - Nov 30 with 1876 viewsI_would

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 16:09 - Nov 30 by Berber

Quite simply, I'd rather watch this team with JWP than any with Boufal in. If Boufal is your thing, fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But football is a team game, and JWP is a far better team player than Boufal is, or ever will be. Koeman has just ditched one of the hardest working, skilful, team conscious, prolific goalscorers and provider of assists in the world (even if he can act like a tw*t). Not sure how that version of Koeman fits with your definition of good football.

I'm just working on the presumption that scoring 239 goals as a defender, managing Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Saints, Everton, Netherlands and Barcelona might mean he knows about little about football and player abilities.

Prowsey started out as a poor bore, progressed to sometimes useful bore and now he's having one of his purple bore patches which will no doubt dry up soon for a year or so as usual. Don't expect a "Prowsey Scores Yet Again Best of" Xmas cd anytime soon. If you could stand it and it would be cruel, to watch Prowsey the entire time you would understand. But nobody deserves that.

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 17:36 - Nov 30 with 1844 viewsMessysaints

He didnt rate JWP yet played him 25 times in the epl in his first season, as a 19 year old player whos compitition for a place included Morgan, Lallana, Mane, Steven Davis, Wanyama. Tadic, and Jay Rodriguez, i would say that is pretty impressive considering the team RK had during that season, the following season he played 33 epl games, and upon signing a new deal and being asked what RK thought of JWP, Ronald said the following "He's one of the young players who is developing himself in a very good way. He will be a great player," seems like RK did rate him...

If you want to say some one didnt rate him at least use Hughes as an example, he played just 7 times under hughes during his year at Saints, all apps as a sub in argueably our worst period since being back in the EPL, This in turn got him excluded from the England team as he was not playing enough, strange thing is, he has been first name on the team sheet since Ralph took over... has missed only 1 game under Ralph, in that time, and JWP has become one of the best DM's in the EPL and is the best free kick taker in europe. Yep he is rubbish after all. your right I_would .... LOL
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 18:28 - Nov 30 with 1809 viewsBicester_North

More bollocks from you, where do you get the drivel that Koeman didn’t rate Ward-Prowse? Was it when he spoke of his delight of JWP signing a new contract while he was here?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 19:03 - Nov 30 with 1790 viewsJaySaint

No Salisu in the B team game..

Strange

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 08:24 - Dec 1 with 1690 viewsdirk_doone

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 19:03 - Nov 30 by JaySaint

No Salisu in the B team game..

Strange

I thought he had issues that can't be discussed.

According to his Wiki: "Born in Accra, Salisu spent a year with his local youth club Kumasi Barcelona Babies before joining West African Football Academy in 2013. He left the latter for personal reasons in 2015, and then remained over a year without a club ."

So, perhaps these issues have arisen before.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 8:39]

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 11:16 - Dec 1 with 1634 viewsSadoldgit

Look where Barcelona are at the moment. JWP is a quality player. Ralph is a decent manager but has a squad low on quality. I doubt if Koeman would have got this bunch to the top of the league.
Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 14:55 - Dec 1 with 1596 viewsBerber

Ralph and his reluctance to utilise subs on 16:37 - Nov 30 by I_would

I'm just working on the presumption that scoring 239 goals as a defender, managing Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, Saints, Everton, Netherlands and Barcelona might mean he knows about little about football and player abilities.

Prowsey started out as a poor bore, progressed to sometimes useful bore and now he's having one of his purple bore patches which will no doubt dry up soon for a year or so as usual. Don't expect a "Prowsey Scores Yet Again Best of" Xmas cd anytime soon. If you could stand it and it would be cruel, to watch Prowsey the entire time you would understand. But nobody deserves that.

Made me smile, but wasn't your man sacked by Everton?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024