Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight 14:24 - Dec 1 with 1207 viewsdurham_exile

The shellshocked U’s entertain the reds of Crawley at the JSCS this evening but before we focus on this must win game a consideration of the dreadful events at St James’ Park last Tuesday evening.

Now try as I can I am unable to banish the truly horrendous images from my mind. But then I thought am I overthinking this. Is it really as simple as Exeter City are simply our bogey team? After all every side has another team that has the Indian sign over them. But no however easy that is to consider, it was the manner of the defeat that knocked the stuffing out of Colchester. So, what is the real reason, is SB simply tactically inept. I reckon that he is and what proves it for me was the manner of our capitulation.

Now at Half Time however little of the game that we had enjoyed for the first half it was only 1-0 but then SB made three substitutions. The team then became so disjointed and ill at ease that it became a turkey shoot.

SB got his starting line-up wrong, simple as and no excuses because we have been crying out for weeks for a second striker. Jevani Brown is isolated and alone like someone in Tier 3.

SB plays 5 at the back with Pell just above or alongside the back four.

Stevenson and Chilvers are then holding midfield players with his favoured two wingers who are bizarrely “inverted” wingers leaving Jevani Brown all on his own.

Result we are too defensive minded and Exeter (even though I do not like them) had done their homework. We were pressed back from the outset and forced to play mainly in our own half. Jevani Brown managed one shot on goal which might have gone in but for a decent save.

Jay for Exeter played superbly well and scored on 20 minutes and that is how it stayed until the end of the first half.

This is when SB panicked. He disrupted the defence by taking off the excellent Welch-Hayes and replaced him with Harriott (who is still not fully fit). Poku was replaced by Chuck and the industrious Chilvers was replaced by Folivi. So, in one move SB weakened the defence and the midfield and played three at the back but still kept Pell in defence and then expected Ben Stevenson to singlehandedly take on the four Exeter midfield players who could not believe their luck.

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell

Stevenson Chilvers

Senior Poku

Brown

Then on 45 minutes we moved to:

Gerken

Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell

Stevenson

Senior Bohui Harriott

Brown Norris

Senior was weak and ineffectual, Harriott was unfit, the formation was clearly one that none of the players had contemplated let alone play on the training ground.

Randall then scored on 53 minutes and at 2-0 the game was up.

SB then did his Alec Guinness impersonation at the Bridge over the River Kwai — “What have I done?” And exacerbated the problem by thinking why did I take off my Right Back at half time and brought on an out of form and inexperienced Scarlett on 56 minutes for the disappointing Senior.

Result Bowman (who will never score an easier hattrick) scored on 57 minutes after Scarlett had been dispossessed on the right. At 3-0 the team were shell shocked and looked leggy. No one was receiving any service up front at all. Bowman scored another tap in to make it 4-0 on 71 minutes.

Only then did we see some interplay between Brown and Folivi who scored with a sharp shot on 73 minutes and it was 4-1. I thought at this stage that we had another goal in us and perhaps could have made it even 4-3.

However, SB brought his talisman Brown off on 74 minutes and replaced him with Josh Bohui. The team continued to labour and without Brown there was even less attacking threat. Poor Ben Stevenson was injured and eventually had to go off. Leaving Exeter to score twice more on 90+3 (Bowman) and Jay (90+5) to leave the scoreline 6-1. Frankly, it could have been 10.

In truth the game was over at 2-0.

So, we finished with:

Gerken

Scarlett Eastman Smith Bramall

Pell

Bohui Harriott

Folivi Norris

(Stevenson injured)

A weakened defence, no midfield and forwards who had never played in this formation ever before.

I felt sorry for Bramall who did not deserve to play in such a pathetic team and for Brown who surely cannot be sending SB a Christmas Card this year for the way that he has been treated and played out of position and without cover or support.

To make things even worse Marine eked out a 1-0 win at the weekend and have drawn Spurs in the third round. We have as a club have lost £250K this season because of our inability to beat the part timers from Crosby.

Phil Parkinson should be welcomed back with open arms.

Not only was the defeat so damaging to our confidence, but also it has destroyed our positive goal difference and forced us down to mid-table again. Once you quickly get off the pace in this league you are always playing catch up and this is the situation that we now find ourselves in.

I make no apology for the damning indictment we were abysmal, and SB must accept the blame for the tactical mistakes and disgraceful performance. Much has been made about Klopp’s annoyance at the lack of 5 subs in the premier league. Maybe SB needs to telephone the German and ask him about deploying 5 substitutes tactically and with nouse.

So, this evening we play Crawley at the JSCS. Led by John Yems they have just secured a lucrative third round cup tie against Leeds United after defeating Wimbledon at the weekend. They will not be short on confidence and could leapfrog the U’s if they win tonight. This is a must not lose and definitely a must win game now for Colchester.

SB must play the following starting XI:

The one doubt is Ben Stevenson who was injured but hopefully he will be fit. If not, then Paris Cowan-Hall or fit again Tom Lapslie could play midfield.

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Sowunmi Bramall

Pell Stevenson Chilvers

Bohui Brown Folivi

No messing about, a genuine 4,3,3 with Bohui on the flank and Folivi and Brown, who have a good understanding on the pitch, to play as two strikers.

Subs:
George Cowan-Hall Smith Lapslie Poku Senior Norris

This season we have played poorly at times but won. Dreadful against Marine we were woeful against Exeter. SB must be on borrowed time.

Stop the lone striker, take the game to the opposition. Stop the five at the back. Play Pell in a more advanced role and give Brown the safety blanket of Michael Folivi. Jevani Brown will only get back to scoring ways if he has service and support. I do hope that SB has learned something from the mauling against the Grecians.

Weather tonight will be dry, 4 degrees and partly cloudy. The pitch will be good, and we need to get the ball down and play. SB has had one week to address his deficiencies.

I am not showing a league table we dropped to 11th and that is embarrassing enough to know.

Enjoy the game if you can — prediction 2-0 to Colchester but only if SB is brave and tactically savvy.

Up the U’s

Rumour is Parky is attending the match tonight.

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 15:46 - Dec 1 with 777 viewsgerry_us

Genuinely hope that rumour is true Peter. Parky could be a revelation. Realistically though, anyone would be better than what's happening to the team at present.
Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 16:03 - Dec 1 with 773 viewsMoor_Pinot

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 15:46 - Dec 1 by gerry_us

Genuinely hope that rumour is true Peter. Parky could be a revelation. Realistically though, anyone would be better than what's happening to the team at present.

Passionate stuff Durham, beautifully crafted and your seething rage is still strong. I can relate and don't disagree with Gerry's wishes. As leadbelly says though, it won't happen.
I find it hard to conceive a starting XI because playing only one and sometimes fewer forwards the management does not know what other options are available or might work.
Consequently, I had been expecting a thrashing as I said on here, given some low performances (even though two of them produced six ill-deserved points) & in particular the way Carlisle should have had six as well. Thus, with little seemingly learned I am not afraid to say that two home defeats this week would not surprise me one bit. However if whoever is picked play properly, which only a couple of them bothered to do last week, we have some decent players who could keep us top half of the league.
They need to play with the passion your preview demonstrates Durham.... And be motivated as Parky used to be able to do pretty often.
Hoping your prediction outweighs my concerns.

Very much agree with dropping Smith, Senior and Poku. Harriott doesn't look fit and Pell is becoming just a moaner. Changes are needed but the formation must be more attacking and I do not know if the personnel can adapt from the 4-5-1 & 4-6-0 we have utilised.

Moor Pinot

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 17:05 - Dec 1 with 759 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 16:03 - Dec 1 by Moor_Pinot

Passionate stuff Durham, beautifully crafted and your seething rage is still strong. I can relate and don't disagree with Gerry's wishes. As leadbelly says though, it won't happen.
I find it hard to conceive a starting XI because playing only one and sometimes fewer forwards the management does not know what other options are available or might work.
Consequently, I had been expecting a thrashing as I said on here, given some low performances (even though two of them produced six ill-deserved points) & in particular the way Carlisle should have had six as well. Thus, with little seemingly learned I am not afraid to say that two home defeats this week would not surprise me one bit. However if whoever is picked play properly, which only a couple of them bothered to do last week, we have some decent players who could keep us top half of the league.
They need to play with the passion your preview demonstrates Durham.... And be motivated as Parky used to be able to do pretty often.
Hoping your prediction outweighs my concerns.

Very much agree with dropping Smith, Senior and Poku. Harriott doesn't look fit and Pell is becoming just a moaner. Changes are needed but the formation must be more attacking and I do not know if the personnel can adapt from the 4-5-1 & 4-6-0 we have utilised.

Pinault like many on this board I love the club and it pains me to witness events like last Tuesday.

I would rather be writing about a handsome victory but that is football. The fear this season is that we continue to go backwards as a club and that is not in the best interests of anyone.

Some years ago at Preston I was accused by a Lillywhite supporter of having rose tinted spectacles. The sheer cheek of it!

The problem is now that even the most hardened supporter will be hurting after last week and the Marine game. Yes over the years I've withessed 7 successive defeats and humiliations in the Cup and dreadful performances but the team were clueless against Exeter. We need a response like Southampton gave after Leicester put 9 past them. Time for the players to respond and for SB to be brave and decisive.

Two hours to kick off and I'm dreading another 4,5,1 or 4,6,0 line up. Hope I'm wrong because that ain't going to cut the mustard.

4,3,3 and take the game to Crawley.

Give Brown some support and a strike partner from the get go.

Unleash the dogs of war.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:07 - Dec 1 with 738 viewsmfb_cufc

Magnificent write-up durham. I agree with everything you say. Exeter would would have it harder to score goals on the training ground with nobody defending. I don't think Exeter being a bogey team made a difference, as we had put up a good fight against them recently in the play-off games.

Talking of bogey teams, we don't have a very good record against Crawley in the league. We have played them 14 times overall, and have only beat them 3 times. The home games against them always have goals. In fact both teams have scored in all 7 games, with the U's claiming two 3-1 wins, Crawley having two 3-2 wins, and the other three games ending 1-1. Then there was another inept performance away to them on New Years Day 2019 when we lost 2-0 playing against 10 men for more than half the game, when a certain Luke Gambin got both their goals. It must have been that performance from Gambin that made us want to sign him, but he has never produced anything like that for us yet.

mfb

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:08 - Dec 1 with 736 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 17:05 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Pinault like many on this board I love the club and it pains me to witness events like last Tuesday.

I would rather be writing about a handsome victory but that is football. The fear this season is that we continue to go backwards as a club and that is not in the best interests of anyone.

Some years ago at Preston I was accused by a Lillywhite supporter of having rose tinted spectacles. The sheer cheek of it!

The problem is now that even the most hardened supporter will be hurting after last week and the Marine game. Yes over the years I've withessed 7 successive defeats and humiliations in the Cup and dreadful performances but the team were clueless against Exeter. We need a response like Southampton gave after Leicester put 9 past them. Time for the players to respond and for SB to be brave and decisive.

Two hours to kick off and I'm dreading another 4,5,1 or 4,6,0 line up. Hope I'm wrong because that ain't going to cut the mustard.

4,3,3 and take the game to Crawley.

Give Brown some support and a strike partner from the get go.

Unleash the dogs of war.

Up the U's

Starting XI

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Sowunmi Bramall

Stevenson Chilvers

Harriott Poku Senior

Brown

Subs

George Lapslie Norris Gambin Marshall Miranda Cracknell Folivi

Words fail me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I havent wasted £10

Looked at defence ok looked at midfield ok

Then the inverted wingers - unbelievable then isolated Jevani Brown even more unbelievable.

Does SB actually want to win any games or are we going to persist with more 4,5,1 dross at home as well!!!!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:11 - Dec 1 with 735 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:07 - Dec 1 by mfb_cufc

Magnificent write-up durham. I agree with everything you say. Exeter would would have it harder to score goals on the training ground with nobody defending. I don't think Exeter being a bogey team made a difference, as we had put up a good fight against them recently in the play-off games.

Talking of bogey teams, we don't have a very good record against Crawley in the league. We have played them 14 times overall, and have only beat them 3 times. The home games against them always have goals. In fact both teams have scored in all 7 games, with the U's claiming two 3-1 wins, Crawley having two 3-2 wins, and the other three games ending 1-1. Then there was another inept performance away to them on New Years Day 2019 when we lost 2-0 playing against 10 men for more than half the game, when a certain Luke Gambin got both their goals. It must have been that performance from Gambin that made us want to sign him, but he has never produced anything like that for us yet.

Mick have just seen the starting XI - enough said.

Very interesting stats against the Reds.

We either go down fighting or capitulate, I am concerned.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:18 - Dec 1 with 728 viewsmfb_cufc

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:11 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Mick have just seen the starting XI - enough said.

Very interesting stats against the Reds.

We either go down fighting or capitulate, I am concerned.

Up the U's

No Pell or Smith though. Probably injured, rather than being dropped, like they should have been.

mfb

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 18:20 - Dec 1 with 728 viewsRSCOSWORTH

11 goals before December in a a season that started late seems pretty good for an isolated striker to me...Playing two strikers is just not the done thing any more and I can't see us doing it regularly anytime soon. Apart from the disappointing performance against Marine and the Exeter capitulation I'm not sure you can expect much more from this squad than what's been delivered to date. In fact, for me, they're actually surpassing expectations.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:16 - Dec 1 with 705 viewsdurham_exile

Harriott a special goal

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:22 - Dec 1 with 698 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:16 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Harriott a special goal

An incredibly soft equaliser

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:28 - Dec 1 with 688 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:22 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

An incredibly soft equaliser

Defence were badly at fault for the equaliser.

Too fragile at present.

Look how isolated Brown is when the ball is played forward.

It's basic stuff.

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:45 - Dec 1 with 673 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:28 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Defence were badly at fault for the equaliser.

Too fragile at present.

Look how isolated Brown is when the ball is played forward.

It's basic stuff.

The ref is abysmal
Stevenson should never have been booked

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:56 - Dec 1 with 663 viewsnoah4x4

These tactics are shocking. Let's get in a management team that has a clue. We need to play a midfield/forward line that can hang onto the ball. Poku, Senior and Harriott evidently can't. Brown is isolated amid three centre backs. Bramall is having a mare. Yet another poor punch by Gerken led to a soft goal.

We won't ever see an external appointment while Humes is DOF.

Humes out!
Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:15 - Dec 1 with 646 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 19:56 - Dec 1 by noah4x4

These tactics are shocking. Let's get in a management team that has a clue. We need to play a midfield/forward line that can hang onto the ball. Poku, Senior and Harriott evidently can't. Brown is isolated amid three centre backs. Bramall is having a mare. Yet another poor punch by Gerken led to a soft goal.

We won't ever see an external appointment while Humes is DOF.

Humes out!

Humes is as secure as Senior.

BBC Essex say Smith self isolating after coming into contact with someone with COVID Pell has a knee injury

Jevani Brown is also self isolating courtesy of SB appalling tactics.

Please can Folivi or Chuck come on.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:26 - Dec 1 with 636 viewsMoor_Pinot

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:15 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

BBC Essex say Smith self isolating after coming into contact with someone with COVID Pell has a knee injury

Up the U's

How can anyone be satisfied with these tactics?
We're the home side.

Moor Pinot

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:26 - Dec 1 with 636 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:15 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Good save from Gerken

Are you watching SB time to give Brown some company

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:28 - Dec 1 with 634 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:26 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Good save from Gerken

Are you watching SB time to give Brown some company

Folivi on for Poku on 68 mins

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:34 - Dec 1 with 629 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:28 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Folivi on for Poku on 68 mins

73 mins Chuck on Brown off

I am sorry but Brown is being wasted by SB at present. He was on fire but now every time he gets the ball crowded out by three defenders.

So Chuck up front with Folivi

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:40 - Dec 1 with 623 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:34 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

I am sorry but Brown is being wasted by SB at present. He was on fire but now every time he gets the ball crowded out by three defenders.

Lapslie on for Ben Stevenson who didn't look fit.

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:41 - Dec 1 with 623 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:34 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

The same SB that turned a player that had never scored for Col U and hadn't scored for anyone in 18 months into a player that's scored 11 goals in three months? Yeah Brown must be livid at how Steve Ball has treated him...

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:48 - Dec 1 with 615 viewsdurham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:41 - Dec 1 by RSCOSWORTH

The same SB that turned a player that had never scored for Col U and hadn't scored for anyone in 18 months into a player that's scored 11 goals in three months? Yeah Brown must be livid at how Steve Ball has treated him...

Just imagine what he could have achieved with genuine support.

At present he is surrounded by defenders doesn't receive the correct service and has no attacking partner. Having run down blind alleys he is then taken off and cuts a disappointed figure when he is subbed.

I'm sorry he needs a second striker. That is the reason why his goals have dried up.

How many chances did he have at Exeter just one, how many tonight none.

SB is clueless.

Looks like two more points dropped tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:57 - Dec 1 with 596 viewsthrillseeker

Thank you Dean Gerken - three great saves second half especially the one in final minute

Overall - not the greatest of matches

Not sure what SB's tactics were tonight
[Post edited 1 Dec 2020 20:57]
Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 21:00 - Dec 1 with 589 viewsbwildered

Two average sides that cancelled each other out . Neither looks like play off material .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 21:00 - Dec 1 with 589 viewsnoah4x4

Only Gerken miracle saves prevent defeat.

Notwithstanding Covid, no wonder we struggle to get fans through the gates with this one up front dross that has prevailed ever since Humes was manager.

If the pubs were open maybe it would all feel better.
Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 21:10 - Dec 1 with 573 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Time to stand up and be counted against Crawley tonight on 20:48 - Dec 1 by durham_exile

Just imagine what he could have achieved with genuine support.

At present he is surrounded by defenders doesn't receive the correct service and has no attacking partner. Having run down blind alleys he is then taken off and cuts a disappointed figure when he is subbed.

I'm sorry he needs a second striker. That is the reason why his goals have dried up.

How many chances did he have at Exeter just one, how many tonight none.

SB is clueless.

Looks like two more points dropped tonight.

Up the U's

Hasn't he scored pretty much all of his goals playing as a lone striker?

SB is clueless? Well he's managed to turn a player than I'm pretty sure no one wanted to see play for us again into one of the top scorers in the division.

Whether you like it or loathe it one up front is how the majority of teams play or at least try to play. Obviously it looks a lot better when Liverpool or Manchester City do it but effectively it's the same formation just with much less talented personnel. All of our sides, right down to the very young ones, will be playing in this same formation I should imagine.

I've always loved your passion Durham and I respect your dedication massively but I also think you need to be realistic in your expectations. Steve Ball is in his first job in management, not his fault that Robbie gave him the job, and five of our first team squad including three maybe even four that were starting most games towards the end of last season are no longer here and despite that we're still within touching distance of the play offs and have one of the best home records in the division. If the constant negativity of this board is anything to go by it's not surprising that we're doing better at home with no fans there!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024