Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Call a halt ? 16:15 - Jan 2 with 1317 viewsbwildered

More and more games getting pulled because of the virus, is it time to call a halt ? Players are not in club bubbles so always likely to be vulnerable even with being vigilant.
No extra cash for clubs for tests, so making the whole scenario becoming a farce, so where is the difference in not meeting in numbers outside , but 22 players plus can and also travel the width and breath of the country to do so .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Call a halt ? on 16:49 - Jan 2 with 1303 viewsLeadbelly

Positive test numbers have gone through the roof in the past week or so and they don’t yet reflect the likely spike due to Christmas Day mixing (and the general behaviour of all the selfish tw@ts who carry on as if there’s nothing wrong). Whilst the government will resist another national lockdown for as long as possible (too long?) it seems inevitable that it will happen soon. If it does, to allow “elite” sport to continue when so many games are already being postponed seems perverse.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Call a halt ? on 16:57 - Jan 2 with 1302 viewsDaniel

I saw a comment elsewhere (I think it was Gary Neville on Twitter) pointing out how ineffective a halt to football would be. His reasoning was that players would still have to train to maintain fitness and in reality they wouldn't end up isolating. I think it's a valid point.

What I have noticed in football is the complacency of players at all levels. When football started up again, there were no handshakes, celebrations were minimal, and the normal changing rooms were out of use. All of that has stopped and it's no wonder that the virus is spreading throughout the game.

The players and clubs need to take take responsibility if they don't want an impact to the game.
Call a halt ? on 17:09 - Jan 2 with 1292 viewsLeadbelly

Call a halt ? on 16:57 - Jan 2 by Daniel

I saw a comment elsewhere (I think it was Gary Neville on Twitter) pointing out how ineffective a halt to football would be. His reasoning was that players would still have to train to maintain fitness and in reality they wouldn't end up isolating. I think it's a valid point.

What I have noticed in football is the complacency of players at all levels. When football started up again, there were no handshakes, celebrations were minimal, and the normal changing rooms were out of use. All of that has stopped and it's no wonder that the virus is spreading throughout the game.

The players and clubs need to take take responsibility if they don't want an impact to the game.

In other words Gary Neville doesn’t believe professional footballers are capable of training alone to maintain fitness or isolate where necessary, unlike the vast majority of the rest of the population seem to manage.

I agree with you that complacency has set in and that cannot help. If they want to continue playing they need to observe the rules and probably follow the example set by the ECB over the summer.

Call a halt ? on 17:41 - Jan 2 with 1282 viewsbwildered

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
Well it seems Bill has got it right ! Winning teams still want to play, while the rest do not .

Imagine Wembley three quarters full of COVID deaths, well we are there and still counting !!

Reading the Chairman’s statement, the correct decision was made in the postponement and whoever has a positive test recovers quickly with no ill adverse complications, and a common sense result was acquired from both clubs .
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 18:06]

Call a halt ? on 22:45 - Jan 2 with 1227 viewsburnsieespana

Don't see the point of calling a halt.
Yes be lots of games to catch up but for a huge number of people football is the only part of normality remaining.
Call a halt ? on 23:06 - Jan 2 with 1222 viewsnoah4x4

I am surprised to hear footballers are not in bubbles?

Credit should therefore go to English professional cricket that managed to avoid any issues causing match cancellations. As a match official, I was always in a distinct 'bubble' kept seperate from players who had to maintain strict disciplines, including not straying out of their designated squad and household bubbles. The regime was VERY strict. No handshakes, only foot bumps. Jofra Archer paid an early penalty for a lack of discipline and that was probably sufficient deterrent for others to behave. Frankly, most county cricketers can't afford to be suspended on their modest wages.

Rugby League concluded its season and professional Rugby Union is not suffering postponements. Is this because of similar bubble discipline? So why is Covid in soccer becoming so problematic? Yes, we face a more contagious mutation of the virus, but surely this matter is largely about player discipline? The break down in discipline is shocking, but not untypical of the wider under 30 population.

For example, it is a disgrace that three Tottenham players attended a party over Christmas along with a West Ham player. What don't footballers understand about no household mixing indoors in Tier Four? As an elderly vulnerable person it is my life they are risking not their own. It is why I have chosen to stay away from the Jobserve Stadium and watch on I-Follow. My wife's mother dying of Covid-19 has vindicated that decision. I would ban them for three months without pay for this lawlessness.

Soccer players are back to celebrating goals, hugging, kissing and all the past nonsense. No wonder we are seeing issues. In cricket, we had hand and ball sanitisation every six overs, and we had similar disciplines in score box!
[Post edited 2 Jan 2021 23:13]
Call a halt ? on 01:20 - Jan 3 with 1197 viewsdurham_exile

West Ham are definitely in bubbles.

And Col U are unbeaten in 2021.

I reckon that there will be a COVID break for elite sport.
Frankly with our form at present I would welcome it.
Callum Harriott tested positive.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Call a halt ? on 11:37 - Jan 3 with 1162 viewsnoah4x4

Now there are reports of Serbian players from Fulham and Crystal Palace attending a New Year party. I haven’t seen my kids for six months due to covid restrictions and yet these clowns are putting the very existence of lower league football at risk when the increasingly inevitable full lockdown occurs.

The potential manslaughter that could arise from this lack of discipline deserves three month bans....unpaid!
Login to get fewer ads

Call a halt ? on 13:27 - Jan 3 with 1133 viewspwrightsknees

Call a halt ? on 11:37 - Jan 3 by noah4x4

Now there are reports of Serbian players from Fulham and Crystal Palace attending a New Year party. I haven’t seen my kids for six months due to covid restrictions and yet these clowns are putting the very existence of lower league football at risk when the increasingly inevitable full lockdown occurs.

The potential manslaughter that could arise from this lack of discipline deserves three month bans....unpaid!

With you, all the way on this, Noah, and so is Mrs. PWK, and re your previous post, too.

Apart from putting their own lives at risk, these people will probably have passed the virus on to others, even before they had been diagnosed themselves.

Just just selfish, is the fact that when they fall ill, a team of health care workers will be needed to look after them.
Call a halt ? on 16:16 - Jan 3 with 1101 viewsnoah4x4

Now Manchester City is investigating its players that broke covid rules by attending a New Year party. How many more clubs are going to admit breaches?

Frankly, I would jail these poor role models for 14 days under house arrest. At least we could then be sure of quarantine and a conviction at no expense to the taxpayer.
Call a halt ? on 21:59 - Jan 3 with 1067 viewsburnsieespana

Footballers always have thought they can do what they want in society but these overpaid individuals are this time playing with death.
Just as Cummings should have been sacked and charged in May these by players should be red carded and given bans of at least 14 days without pay once there isolation period ends.
Examples need to be made.
Call a halt ? on 07:53 - Jan 4 with 1049 viewsMoor_Pinot

Call a halt ? on 21:59 - Jan 3 by burnsieespana

Footballers always have thought they can do what they want in society but these overpaid individuals are this time playing with death.
Just as Cummings should have been sacked and charged in May these by players should be red carded and given bans of at least 14 days without pay once there isolation period ends.
Examples need to be made.

Spot on Burnsie - completely right. One rule for the priveleged....

Moor Pinot

Call a halt ? on 21:05 - Jan 4 with 993 viewswessex_exile

Well I think this evening's announcement puts paid to any more football for the next month or two at least. I guess we wait and see what that means for the remainder of the season? Surely not enough matches have taken place to try and rule on PPG if the season doesn't recommence?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Call a halt ? on 21:16 - Jan 4 with 991 viewsdurham_exile

Call a halt ? on 21:05 - Jan 4 by wessex_exile

Well I think this evening's announcement puts paid to any more football for the next month or two at least. I guess we wait and see what that means for the remainder of the season? Surely not enough matches have taken place to try and rule on PPG if the season doesn't recommence?

Elite sport will go ahead.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Call a halt ? on 21:28 - Jan 4 with 988 viewsLeadbelly

Call a halt ? on 21:16 - Jan 4 by durham_exile

Elite sport will go ahead.

Up the U's

But should it? It seems bizarre to me that elite sport continues when everything else deemed non-essential has to stop, even more so when some clubs in League One have been calling for a halt to games because of the problems they’re facing.

If nothing else, I do wonder whether the medical professionals in attendance at every game, in whatever sport, could be better employed elsewhere for the greater good.

Call a halt ? on 21:54 - Jan 4 with 984 viewswessex_exile

Call a halt ? on 21:28 - Jan 4 by Leadbelly

But should it? It seems bizarre to me that elite sport continues when everything else deemed non-essential has to stop, even more so when some clubs in League One have been calling for a halt to games because of the problems they’re facing.

If nothing else, I do wonder whether the medical professionals in attendance at every game, in whatever sport, could be better employed elsewhere for the greater good.

That's the pertinent question - should it?

It would appear I missed the bit about elite sports, but to be fair I'm relying on the BBC news highlights. I totally get that those industries that drive the economy (like construction) ought to try and continue, as we did during the first and second lockdown, but sporting events? Surely all sports have to at least suspend their seasons, isn't that the right thing to do?

Up the U's

Call a halt ? on 22:59 - Jan 4 with 974 viewsnoah4x4

I think elite sport must continue...

I have no family within 200 miles. My wife similar. We are both retired. If it wasn't for televised football, and televised Bake Off (and similar) we would be detached from the world whilst in tier four/five.

During the Summer, I officiated as a first class cricket scorer behind closed doors and the appreciation shown by elderly, retired and possibly lonely fans watching the Live Stream, many of whom have only cricket (and the pub) as a social outlet, was obvious. I know a number of the same people through Colchester United. This is an important matter of mental health and welfare.

My wife and I are fortunately sufficiently robust to survive this. But can you imagine how Bingo (Paul Wright) might have got through these last nine months? Sadly, Paul died in March from cancer. Without the U's and his few largely match day only pals he led a pretty miserable existence. Football and cricket is far more than about promotion and relegation.....

That's why I am angry that so many players are failing to respect their role in the covid ravaged community. They are not front-line like medical staff or even critical workers in an economic sense. But have an important role in community mental health and as a stimulus to community spirit. Breaking covid rules is utterly irresponsible as it potentially damages both club and community, as well as risking lives.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2021 23:37]
Call a halt ? on 00:01 - Jan 5 with 956 viewsdurham_exile

I say keep the aspidistra flying.

We need elite sport more than ever in these grim times.

If you read the COVID instructions on the GOV.UK there are many exceptions which can be legally carried out during this lockdown.

I am disappointed about the school closures especially when vulnerable and key worker children will still be going to school. Are we really saying that they are immune to the virus.

Our small part of CO Durham has been tier 3 and 4 despite the fact that our stats are well down the so called league table.

The priority must be to get the vaccine to those in the first four critical groups ASAP.

In the meantime Up the U's

Durham_exile

Call a halt ? on 07:50 - Jan 5 with 942 viewsDaniel

Classing League 2 football as 'elite' is pushing it a bit. Colchester United haven't been anywhere near elite since 2006/7!
Call a halt ? on 12:04 - Jan 5 with 925 viewswessex_exile

Whether or not football should/ will survive Lockdown #3, great news that they entire squad received the all-clear after the mass testing yesterday - presumably apart from Callum (get well soon chap).

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/january/covid-19-tests-all-clear/

Up the U's

Call a halt ? on 05:50 - Jan 6 with 888 viewsnoah4x4

Call a halt ? on 12:04 - Jan 5 by wessex_exile

Whether or not football should/ will survive Lockdown #3, great news that they entire squad received the all-clear after the mass testing yesterday - presumably apart from Callum (get well soon chap).

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/january/covid-19-tests-all-clear/

Good news, but it seems miraculous to me given the reported R rate of the new variant and reports that 1 in 50 of the population currently have the virus that a match is postponed on a Saturday due to "covid in BOTH camps" then merely three days later the entire U's squad all test negative.

Maybe Humes has healing hands? Hallelujah, something he is good at. With all our strikers injured or absent or stricken by Covid is 4 - 6 - 0 now justified?
Call a halt ? on 15:39 - Jan 8 with 842 viewsmfb_cufc

Over 100 positive cases in the latest round of testing. How bad has it got to be before football is called to a halt?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55591017

mfb

Call a halt ? on 16:42 - Jan 8 with 826 viewsbwildered

The scenario now is even more critical than previously, even now with a welcome two tests a week for players at clubs. One wonders if some clubs took advantage to play with availability and form also taken into account. If some clubs fulfil more fixtures while accruing maximum points, they must have a advantage over those how cannot , and would be required in fulfilling fixtures with a possible three games on season end due date with a disproportionate number of games in hand.
The FA cup fixtures already have become a farce with availability of senior players .
Football will continue has long has the government will to allow it, has the authorities running the game had not taken the situation seriously judging by ad hoc test arrangements and are even now financed by PFA.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 16:45]

Call a halt ? on 21:25 - Jan 8 with 809 viewsnoah4x4

The FA Cup has become a farce tonight. Villa are having to play seven under 23s and four under 18s. If BT Sport wasn't there, might it have been postponed like other covid affected fixtures?

Given BT is televising the Wolves game and Sky a League One match, there is sufficient football on TV tonight. Villa fans must despair at the unfairness.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024