Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Game tomorrow 12:29 - Feb 12 with 1787 viewsLeadbelly

Weather forecast for today and tomorrow remains very cold and currently a few flakes of snow in the air in Lawford. The lawn in my back garden is now rock hard. What chance the game at Mansfield will go ahead?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Game tomorrow on 12:50 - Feb 12 with 1774 viewsmfb_cufc

A lot will depend if they have had the covers on the pitch. But even if they have been on, the pitch could still freeze up. No news on the official site regarding any inspection.

I noticed the games at Crewe and Port Vale have already been called off due to frozen pitches. I reckon there will be more to follow, as it doesn't turn milder until Sunday.

mfb

Game tomorrow on 12:51 - Feb 12 with 1774 viewswessex_exile

Quite possibly by the looks of things. In the last few minutes three more games have been called off in League 2, the list now being:

Oldham v Exeter
Port Vale v Newport
FGR v Barrow
Harrogate v Leyton Orient

More ominously, the Beeb is also reporting "inspections are planned at other games".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56038301

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Game tomorrow on 13:26 - Feb 12 with 1755 viewspwrightsknees

News Item:
With temperatures predicted to fall to -11C in some parts of Yorkshire, residents have reluctantly put on their central heating.

Weather Warning:
People in the South are advised not to travel but to stay indoors and not venture out. People in the North are advised to "put their big coat on".
Game tomorrow on 13:32 - Feb 12 with 1751 viewsmfb_cufc

Nine games in total off now. One of those is Sheffield Wednesday. I thought they had undersoil heating. If they have, can they afford to use it. They way things are going we will be lucky if there are any games outside the Premier played tomorrow.

mfb

Game tomorrow on 13:34 - Feb 12 with 1750 viewsLeadbelly

Against Mansfield...obviously

Game tomorrow on 14:24 - Feb 12 with 1741 viewsmfb_cufc

Colchester's game against Mansfield has now been moved to Sunday.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/february/mansfield-game-moved/

mfb

Game tomorrow on 14:50 - Feb 12 with 1726 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Game tomorrow on 14:24 - Feb 12 by mfb_cufc

Colchester's game against Mansfield has now been moved to Sunday.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/february/mansfield-game-moved/

Sensible but optimistic. The high between now and Sunday morning is 0 degrees so I can't see the pitch being thawed out in time.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Game tomorrow on 15:56 - Feb 12 with 1705 viewsnoah4x4

If the pitch has been fully covered, water won't have penetrated and it will respond like straw protection in the old days. Hence, once the snow is hauled away, the surface won't be as bad as a domestic lawn. Might need the rollaway overhead heater lamps in front of South Stand where Saturday Sun doesn't reach, but Sun is forecast all day, albeit cold. The Sunday temperature forecast at 11:00 is 1° given that high pressure is drawing milder weather from the South rising to 4° by 15:00 and progressively higher towards Monday.. I reckon it is a good decision and the match will probably be on, but only with the pitch heater lamps on for 24 hours over shaded areas.
Login to get fewer ads

Game tomorrow on 17:54 - Feb 12 with 1674 viewsbwildered

With game now relocated to Sunday, a Saturday afternoon wander to Layer Rd, 50 years on .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Game tomorrow on 19:14 - Feb 12 with 1656 viewsdurham_exile

Game tomorrow on 13:26 - Feb 12 by pwrightsknees

News Item:
With temperatures predicted to fall to -11C in some parts of Yorkshire, residents have reluctantly put on their central heating.

Weather Warning:
People in the South are advised not to travel but to stay indoors and not venture out. People in the North are advised to "put their big coat on".

PWK as a Londoner who relocated to Durham 28 years ago, when the weather falls to -15c I stop wearing shorts and put my plus fours on and don my flat cap and take the whippets out for a walk. I cannot reveal where I keep my ferrets though.

Weather this week has been bitterly cold, plenty of snow but brilliant sunshine at times during the day.

I saw a photo of the ground midweek and the pitch was covered in snow hopefully covers underneath.

After the Cambridge game however I wouldn't be too disappointed if the game fell victim to the weather. Otherwise we run the risk of real damage to the playing surface.

Our lawn hasn't seen any daylight for several weeks covered in permafrost!

Stay safe and drive carefully in the conditions.

This is our most severe winter since 2010. I trust it heralds a warm summer.

Up the U's
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 19:15]

Durham_exile

Game tomorrow on 22:16 - Feb 12 with 1612 viewspwrightsknees

Game tomorrow on 19:14 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

PWK as a Londoner who relocated to Durham 28 years ago, when the weather falls to -15c I stop wearing shorts and put my plus fours on and don my flat cap and take the whippets out for a walk. I cannot reveal where I keep my ferrets though.

Weather this week has been bitterly cold, plenty of snow but brilliant sunshine at times during the day.

I saw a photo of the ground midweek and the pitch was covered in snow hopefully covers underneath.

After the Cambridge game however I wouldn't be too disappointed if the game fell victim to the weather. Otherwise we run the risk of real damage to the playing surface.

Our lawn hasn't seen any daylight for several weeks covered in permafrost!

Stay safe and drive carefully in the conditions.

This is our most severe winter since 2010. I trust it heralds a warm summer.

Up the U's
[Post edited 12 Feb 2021 19:15]

Nice one Durham.

Mrs PWK and I had a good laugh at your excellent riposte. In fact I had cribbed a text message my wife had received from her friend in Yorkshire earlier this morning.

Take care all and Up the U's.
Game tomorrow on 23:51 - Feb 12 with 1595 viewsdurham_exile

Game tomorrow on 22:16 - Feb 12 by pwrightsknees

Nice one Durham.

Mrs PWK and I had a good laugh at your excellent riposte. In fact I had cribbed a text message my wife had received from her friend in Yorkshire earlier this morning.

Take care all and Up the U's.

PWK - our Postie genuinely wears shorts all year round, including this current extreme cold snap.

The paperboy wears trousers, but only a tee shirt on top! Amazing but true.

North Yorkshire has experienced some of the coldest temperatures of the Winter so far.

Stay safe.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Game tomorrow on 23:57 - Feb 12 with 1592 viewsLeadbelly

Game tomorrow on 23:51 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

PWK - our Postie genuinely wears shorts all year round, including this current extreme cold snap.

North Yorkshire has experienced some of the coldest temperatures of the Winter so far.

Stay safe.

Up the U's

My brother lives in Saskatoon in Canada. According to him the locals only don something more than a T shirt under their fleeces when the temperature drops below -30 degrees. I’ve experienced -16 degrees in the Rockies and that was plenty low enough for me.

Game tomorrow on 00:17 - Feb 13 with 1591 viewswessex_exile

Game tomorrow on 23:51 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

Stay safe.

Up the U's

I can vouch for this. As a southern shandy-drinker spending the best part of ten years in Yorkshire, and in the depth of freezing winters, a disturbing proportion of the nightlife considered slacks, t-shirts, micro-skirts and no tights as appropriate attire. The reservoirs must have antifreeze in them!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Game tomorrow on 07:57 - Feb 13 with 1575 viewsnoah4x4

Game tomorrow on 00:17 - Feb 13 by wessex_exile

I can vouch for this. As a southern shandy-drinker spending the best part of ten years in Yorkshire, and in the depth of freezing winters, a disturbing proportion of the nightlife considered slacks, t-shirts, micro-skirts and no tights as appropriate attire. The reservoirs must have antifreeze in them!

Odd, because when I lived in Cumbria donned out in Wooly Hat, Cagoole and Hiking Boots that's what what I witnessed on London news that BBC via Sky TV then gave us (rather than local). Wearing next to nowt in Winter must be a universal trait South of Ambleside.

P.s, am I the only U'sual border to have gone to Barrow FC? Easy to spot the locals there as if they have swum in the sea they glow in the dark from Windscale radiation and smell of submarine oil. But "As chewitts are more chewy than Barrow in Furness bus station", I am not sure if rebuilding after the advertising monsters rampage is complete.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 8:07]
Game tomorrow on 09:30 - Feb 13 with 1558 viewsbwildered

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&

Keep eating the porridge Noah .
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 9:35]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Game tomorrow on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 1545 viewsMadeira163

For an opposing view inMadeira I’m in shorts and t shirt 365 days but my family start wearing their Helly Hanson jackets in Dec/Jan when it can be a freezing 14/16 degrees!!!!!
Game tomorrow on 10:26 - Feb 13 with 1539 viewsdurham_exile

Game tomorrow on 09:51 - Feb 13 by Madeira163

For an opposing view inMadeira I’m in shorts and t shirt 365 days but my family start wearing their Helly Hanson jackets in Dec/Jan when it can be a freezing 14/16 degrees!!!!!

Sounds idyllic gsy.

Once acclimatised to the frozen North, when I used to travel south I never had a problem with the cold quite the reverse.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Game tomorrow on 10:47 - Feb 13 with 1535 viewspwrightsknees

Game tomorrow on 10:26 - Feb 13 by durham_exile

Sounds idyllic gsy.

Once acclimatised to the frozen North, when I used to travel south I never had a problem with the cold quite the reverse.

Up the U's

I lived in Glasgow for 15 years, and at the turn of the years 1995/6, the temperature fell to -20C for a couple of weeks. I tried hard to avoid letting my Scottish pals notice that this "soft Southerner" was affected, but it did hurt to breathe.
Game tomorrow on 11:28 - Feb 13 with 1528 viewsnoah4x4

I worked in Poland in February and March 1993. That was proper cold for weeks on end. Chicago on the frozen lakeside similar. I have also spent seven days in Northern Finland 80 miles inside Arctic Circle. But nowhere I have experienced is colder than in the Tibetan Himalayas where the howling windchill is the killer. Cross over a quite short distance to Nepal and its tropical at the same altitudes.

By contrast, what we have today in Colchester is trivial. It is cold, but the Sun is blazing hard in Myland. Snow is melting fast in my south facing garden. If the portable heat lamps are over the South Stand penalty area we should have a good surface tomorrow, not withstanding the pitch got cut up during our last two home games.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 11:30]
Game tomorrow on 11:33 - Feb 13 with 1524 viewspwrightsknees

Game tomorrow on 11:28 - Feb 13 by noah4x4

I worked in Poland in February and March 1993. That was proper cold for weeks on end. Chicago on the frozen lakeside similar. I have also spent seven days in Northern Finland 80 miles inside Arctic Circle. But nowhere I have experienced is colder than in the Tibetan Himalayas where the howling windchill is the killer. Cross over a quite short distance to Nepal and its tropical at the same altitudes.

By contrast, what we have today in Colchester is trivial. It is cold, but the Sun is blazing hard in Myland. Snow is melting fast in my south facing garden. If the portable heat lamps are over the South Stand penalty area we should have a good surface tomorrow, not withstanding the pitch got cut up during our last two home games.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 11:30]

OK Noah. I give in. You win by a long way!

Take care all and Up the U's
Game tomorrow on 11:58 - Feb 13 with 1513 viewsgerry_us

Our time living in Minneapolis Minnesota in winter was an experience. Remember driving to work and dashboard display showed -24c. Just assumed it was faulty. Wasn't. My wife's car would actually refuse to start below -20c and display showed "too cold". Wise motor car.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024