Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS 14:59 - Feb 23 with 2423 viewsdurham_exile

Today is 23rd February 2021 and we find ourselves 20th in League Two.

On Saturday 7 March 2020 we won 3-0 at Carlisle (JM’s 200th game in charge of Colchester) before the shutters came down on the league season and that ensured we qualified for the play offs. On Tuesday 18 June we played Exeter City in the Semi-Final 1st Leg of the League Two play offs and won 1-0. The rest as they say is history or more properly a Stephen King horror story.

We bounced around the top seven for a while this season and last won a game of football on Tuesday 8 December 2020. Since then, we have gone 12 games without a victory. The result is we are now in a relegation battle. Will it be lucky 13 tonight?

Mansfield 28 34 -2
PV 29 33 -3
COL U 28 33 -7
Stevenage 30 33 -7
Southend 29 24 -27
Barrow 27 23 -7
Grimsby 27 21 -26

Along with others I have called for SB to go. He simply is not a manager/ head coach, and he seems clueless about what is his best team, tactics to employ and how to get the best out of his players.

Let us look at our last game at Crawley:

He started:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Sowunmi Eastman Smith
Pell Stevenson
Harriott Poku Nouble
Oteh

Subs:
Chilvers
Wiredu
Folivi
Brown
Senior
George
Tchamadeu

Pell was injured (again) on 32 minutes and Wiredu replaced him.
Chilvers replaced Poku on 67 mins and Brown replaced Oteh on 67 mins
Finally, Folivi replaced Harriott on 89 mins.

And this is SB’s problem, he does not play a settled team, he changes the line up every game, he refuses to play more than one striker and he has ruined our best striker Jevani Brown by leaving him as the lone striker and then dropping him and publicly stating he has to show more application no wonder Brown is pi**ed off.

We have two left backs in Clampin and Doherty; we were told a fully fit squad so why did they not feature on Saturday. Playing three Central Defenders at the back in a four is disjointed, SB has tried three at the back before and it did not work, he has tried 5 at the back and it was disastrous.

Play a flat back four and three in midfield and three up front. Be bold and constructive and take the game to the opposition.

Once again, I suggest tonight and for the foreseeable future 4,3,3:

Gerken

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Lapslie Stevenson Wiredu

Harriott Brown Nouble

Subs:

George Sowunmi Chilvers Oteh Folivi Tovide Poku

Pell is injured, we do not know about Cowan-Hall and Senior must stay on the bench. When Pell is fit he can play alongside Ben Stevenson.

We have 18 games to garner 20 points for survival.

It is all about survival now. Relegation is unthinkable. SB’s job is safer than Klopp’s regrettable but true.

Survival will be good enough after such a shocking year. I would imagine that JM will be smiling. What did he do wrong, perhaps he spoke out about losing five key players? What the Chairman must do is stop internal appointments. Whether people like the situation or not Parky must be invited to return and he might if we survive. He knows about promotion and can get this team back to League One.

I have not even mentioned Exeter City yet. The result at St James’ Park was a disaster and they have the Indian sign over us at present. Matt Taylor plays a simple game always 3,5,2 and it is effective.

But tonight, they have no Ryan Bowman (our nemesis) who was dismissed at Newport together with Alex Hartridge, the nine men managed to grind out a 1-1- draw. It is that type of application and effort that we must start to show before it is too late.

The weather tonight in Colchester will be dry, mostly clear and 11 degrees c. Ideal for the match.

Can we achieve that elusive win? Yes, I believe so. Can we manage a clean sheet, yes, we can but only if we play the game in their half? Sitting back and encouraging the opposition on is not the answer.

Try and enjoy the game.

2-0 Colchester

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 22:48 - Feb 23 with 609 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 22:13 - Feb 23 by noah4x4

Cowling is starting to look stupid backing Humes......

He sacks Humes to bring in Keen.
He soon appoints Humes as Director of Football.
Keen promptly leaves (was he upset by said DOF?)
A few caretaker games under assorted stewardship and along comes McGreal
McGreal 37% win ratio. Got us into play-offs last season.
(Parkinson 43%, Boothroyd 43%, Lambert 45% Williams 40%).
McGreal departs July 2020 as four key players make a surprising exit.
(was there disagreement about policy?).
Cowling appoints the clueless Ball. Win rate 27% and fast declining.
Ashby leaves without explanation.
13 games without a win.
Gates decline (ok, fiction, but would have if we were allowed in)
Common denominator = Humes, 1 up front and an Academy dream that has failed.

All credit to Robbie for his financial support, but the buck stops with him.

Humes Out!

Academy dream that has failed? Gilbey, Wright, Szmodics, Kent, Chilvers...need I go on?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:05 - Feb 23 with 583 viewsnoah4x4

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 22:48 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Academy dream that has failed? Gilbey, Wright, Szmodics, Kent, Chilvers...need I go on?

Over how many years?
What investment put in?
What transfer and compensation fees recouped?
How many academy graduates in today's U's team?

I recall Cowling predicting a majority of the team would be academy graduates. Today, the First XI, under 23s and under 18s all have a culture of defeat.
We have just dumped seven academy prospects.
If relegated, we can forget Academy II status.

I agree with Wessex. I feel really sorry for Ball, and respect his loyal service. But he was patently out of his depth. This mess has to be Humes responsibility as failed team manager and failed Director of Football.

What next?
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:13 - Feb 23 with 575 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:05 - Feb 23 by noah4x4

Over how many years?
What investment put in?
What transfer and compensation fees recouped?
How many academy graduates in today's U's team?

I recall Cowling predicting a majority of the team would be academy graduates. Today, the First XI, under 23s and under 18s all have a culture of defeat.
We have just dumped seven academy prospects.
If relegated, we can forget Academy II status.

I agree with Wessex. I feel really sorry for Ball, and respect his loyal service. But he was patently out of his depth. This mess has to be Humes responsibility as failed team manager and failed Director of Football.

What next?

Depends how far you want to go back. You could argue a case for Lua Lua, Halford, Duguid and even Gerken who is now back at the club. You know you’re never going to know either of those numbers but I’d be very surprised if it’s not made the club money plus we’ve got 100’s of games out of those players along the way. Granted there’s not that many at the moment but it wasn’t long ago that over half the starting XI had been at the club since a young age. There’s also been some other great bits of business along the way like Moncur, Vincent-Young, Bonne and Bramall. Whether you agree with the model or not I’m not sure it can be deemed a failure.

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:31 - Feb 23 with 565 viewsthrillseeker

Never good for someone to lose their job so some sympathy towards SB.

However I can't stop thinking who the replacement will be. Personally, I don't want Humes or Mullins as fed up of internal 'yes men' appointments but I feel more of the same is coming our way
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:33 - Feb 23 with 561 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:31 - Feb 23 by thrillseeker

Never good for someone to lose their job so some sympathy towards SB.

However I can't stop thinking who the replacement will be. Personally, I don't want Humes or Mullins as fed up of internal 'yes men' appointments but I feel more of the same is coming our way

I think Cowling is very concerned about us getting relegated and I have a feeling that we might see an experienced replacement on a short term deal until the end of the season.

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:56 - Feb 23 with 552 viewsmfb_cufc

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:13 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

Depends how far you want to go back. You could argue a case for Lua Lua, Halford, Duguid and even Gerken who is now back at the club. You know you’re never going to know either of those numbers but I’d be very surprised if it’s not made the club money plus we’ve got 100’s of games out of those players along the way. Granted there’s not that many at the moment but it wasn’t long ago that over half the starting XI had been at the club since a young age. There’s also been some other great bits of business along the way like Moncur, Vincent-Young, Bonne and Bramall. Whether you agree with the model or not I’m not sure it can be deemed a failure.

None of the four you mentioned came out of the Cowling style academy that Noah is referring too. They all came through the youth set up before Cowling took over. A youth scheme that we didn't spend millions on like we do now.

mfb

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 00:03 - Feb 24 with 550 viewsmfb_cufc

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:33 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

I think Cowling is very concerned about us getting relegated and I have a feeling that we might see an experienced replacement on a short term deal until the end of the season.

I think everyone would like an experienced external to take over. The problem is what experienced manager will want to do things the Cowling way.

mfb

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 00:12 - Feb 24 with 545 viewsdurham_exile

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 00:03 - Feb 24 by mfb_cufc

I think everyone would like an experienced external to take over. The problem is what experienced manager will want to do things the Cowling way.

There is only one course of action now to finish at least third bottom.

Avoiding relegation is the only game in Town.

Parky is the man, if only he can be persuaded.

Mind you Lambert might be out of a job soon as well!!!!!! Only joking.

The right course of action has been taken tonight.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 07:23 - Feb 24 with 519 viewsthrillseeker

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 23:33 - Feb 23 by RSCOSWORTH

RSC - I do hope you are correct regarding an experienced manager but just a thought `Tony Humes is an experienced manager.

On this occasion I am hoping for an external appointment and I hate to say this but we need a Neil Warnock type until at least the end of the season to ensure our survival in League football.

I am fearing a Tony Humes or Hayden Mullins appointment though
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 07:52 - Feb 24 with 497 viewsnoah4x4

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 07:23 - Feb 24 by thrillseeker

RSC - I do hope you are correct regarding an experienced manager but just a thought `Tony Humes is an experienced manager.

On this occasion I am hoping for an external appointment and I hate to say this but we need a Neil Warnock type until at least the end of the season to ensure our survival in League football.

I am fearing a Tony Humes or Hayden Mullins appointment though

Given current philosophy, if not Mullins or Humes, we are left with Wayne Brown or a car park attendant. Now we have stopped taking the knee I suppose Brown might be the most likely.
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 07:59 - Feb 24 with 495 viewswessex_exile

I would assume Mullins will have to step up as caretaker for now, given we’ve a game on Saturday. Unless Robbie has already been having conversations elsewhere, it will surely take a week or two if it’s to be an external appointment.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 08:16 - Feb 24 with 489 viewsburnsieespana

Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 22:36 - Feb 23 by wessex_exile

Link here, Ball has gone.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2021/february/club-statement/

Edit: and whilst it was probably inevitable, let's all please remember that Steve Ball has been, on and off, associated with the U's since 1989. He was clearly out of his depth as manager, but let's not trash his commitment to Colchester United over five decades.

Best wishes Steve, I hope your next football adventure goes better for you!
[Post edited 23 Feb 2021 22:41]

I have echo all Wessex says
Steve Ball will never be a legend but he has certainly served us well in a number of different capacities and so thank you.
I hope whatever you do next inside or outside of football it goes well.
Like everybody I now hope an experienced Manager comes in but is it time for Wayne Brown to step up to the plate?
Grecians in for hair raising experience at the JSCS on 09:59 - Feb 24 with 458 viewsbwildered

Mullins took the post match interview, if that was a job interview regards energy, luck , changes , togetherness etc , it was unimpressive. He must be the natural appointment until end of season together with Brown.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024