Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight 14:49 - Mar 2 with 2216 viewsdurham_exile

Tonight, we start the first of a home double header against Carlisle and Newport. The situation is we have 16 games to play and 20 more points to gain before we can be considered safe.

After 8 defeats and 6 draws in the last 14 games we have sunk to 21st place in the table.

COLU 30 33 -11
Southend 31 28 -25
Barrow 29 26 -7
Grimsby 29 24 -26

We still have all three teams beneath us to play but before that the old maxim one game at a time starting with promotion chasing Carlisle themselves without a win in 6 games.

It seems that Dean Gerken and Ben Stevenson are now looking at long term absentees together with Harry Pell which is regrettable. Shamal George and Brendan Wiredu will be included again.

Now in fairness to Wayne Brown, he was thrust into the melting pot with only a few days to prepare the team and so he can be forgiven for the game against FGR. Except that we once again played 4,2,3,1 (which in reality is 4,5,1) and we failed to register a shot on target despite playing for 45 minutes against ten men.

Brown played:

Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Doherty
Chilvers Wiredu
Tchamadeu Poku Harriott
Nouble

Subs:
George Senior Sayer Oteh Brown Sowunmi Marshall-Miranda

George replaced Gerken at half time, Senior replaced Tchamadeu on 59 mins, Oteh and Brown replaced Nouble and Poku on 75 and Sayer replaced Doherty on 82 mins.

Why did Brown start with one striker, why did he wait until the 75th minute before changing the forward players, why did he continue to play defensively when we were already 2-0 down and why did he not promote a more positive approach in that second half.

We were too pedestrian and too insecure when we had the ball. Now much of that comes after 14 games without a win but the players do not seem to be able to match their opponents for commitment, effort, and forward play.

Frankly, we are so poor at the moment and WB has been given a poisoned chalice, but he knows the club and he has enough experience of the players to be able to offer far more than they are currently showing.

Let us try tonight:

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Doherty

Chilvers Lapslie Wiredu

Poku Brown Nouble

Subs:

Coulter Sowunmi Tchamadeu Cowan-Hall Harriott Oteh Folivi

It is about time that we took the game to the opposition and that means getting in amongst them, playing the game in their half. Playing two up front and not being afraid to shoot from outside the area.

Weather tonight 4 degrees c partly cloudy and dry, let is hope that the pitch is looking better because it has not helped our style of play recently. Yes, I know it is the same for both teams, but the pitch has been poor, heavy going and bare in places.

15th time lucky tonight, I do hope so, perhaps a 1-0 home victory to give some confidence for Newport on Saturday.

Try and enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 21:12 - Mar 2 with 761 viewswessex_exile

Grit, determination, never say die attitude - this is exactly what the U's and we all needed. Special mention for George, excellent catch from Brennan's thunderbolt to keep us in it.

Wayne Brown's blue'n'white army!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 21:16 - Mar 2 with 752 viewsBFG

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 21:08 - Mar 2 by burnsieespana

Huge three points.
Well done to Wayne Brown and the players for coming back from behind.
5 wins on the trot and who knows😃

Great win, I echo Burnsie. How many points to stay up? No where near the normal 51 points required I reckon.
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 21:44 - Mar 2 with 720 viewsburnsieespana

If Brown motivates the squad like he did at Maldon a real miracle could happen!
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 09:43 - Mar 3 with 657 viewsbwildered

Long way to go, but a small step in the right direction . Let’s carry on and start by winning the remaining home fixtures.
Nothing much changed in the first half, but the turnaround started with the overrule of the given penalty, which if had not happened, would have left the U’s a mammoth task to get anything out of the game from a two nil deficit.
This could be the turning point of the season, got the U’s a reprieve, and after getting level, then a lead, saw the team comeback from a losing situation to gain three points, for the first time this season.
Two things money cannot by at any club , luck and confidence. Hopefully gained both last night.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 10:19]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 10:03 - Mar 3 with 652 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 20:19 - Mar 2 by durham_exile

15 games winless worst since 72/73

Plenty of games to exceed 20 winless yet!

I'm afraid that Big Frank must go off no effort from him tonight

Bring Brown on

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=612&teamTabs=results

If you look at the 2015/16 season we went 19 league matches without a win, we did win three cup matches during this period though so maybe your 1972/73 stat refers to all matches played and not just league games.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 11:45 - Mar 3 with 622 viewswessex_exile

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 09:43 - Mar 3 by bwildered

Long way to go, but a small step in the right direction . Let’s carry on and start by winning the remaining home fixtures.
Nothing much changed in the first half, but the turnaround started with the overrule of the given penalty, which if had not happened, would have left the U’s a mammoth task to get anything out of the game from a two nil deficit.
This could be the turning point of the season, got the U’s a reprieve, and after getting level, then a lead, saw the team comeback from a losing situation to gain three points, for the first time this season.
Two things money cannot by at any club , luck and confidence. Hopefully gained both last night.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 10:19]

The last 20-25 minutes after the penalty were remarkable. You could actually see the confidence returning, and Carlisle could see it too. If we carry that belief forward, we'll be absolutely fine.

Up the U's

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 12:47 - Mar 3 with 604 viewspwrightsknees

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 11:45 - Mar 3 by wessex_exile

The last 20-25 minutes after the penalty were remarkable. You could actually see the confidence returning, and Carlisle could see it too. If we carry that belief forward, we'll be absolutely fine.

Is it possible that Wayne's half-time talk instilled some pride and enthusiasm into the team.

O.K., it took the penalty incident for it to take off. But is it possible we now have a manager who can lift the team? Or am I just clutching at straws?

Up the U's.
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 13:02 - Mar 3 with 597 viewsnoah4x4

Humes and his 4-2-3-1 must go.

Senior and Poku need to fight for their shirt. We don’t need Mavericks, we need grafters.

Brown in a natural number 10 role with Folivi/Nouble or Oteh/Nouble ahead shows promise.

I don’t like seeing a centre back at full back, but Smith is clearly a better option than Docherty.

Playing Junior out of his normal position was bold. He reminds me a little of Michael Antonio when here on loan, big strong, fearless. With more confidence he will make a nuisance of himself amongst opposition defences.

Overall,encouraging.
Login to get fewer ads

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 13:47 - Mar 3 with 591 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 13:02 - Mar 3 by noah4x4

Senior and Poku need to fight for their shirt. We don’t need Mavericks, we need grafters.

Brown in a natural number 10 role with Folivi/Nouble or Oteh/Nouble ahead shows promise.

I don’t like seeing a centre back at full back, but Smith is clearly a better option than Docherty.

Playing Junior out of his normal position was bold. He reminds me a little of Michael Antonio when here on loan, big strong, fearless. With more confidence he will make a nuisance of himself amongst opposition defences.

Overall,encouraging.

Sounds promising. Nice to see a bit of optimism coming back to the board. The chances of us beating Newport have increased greatly on the back of last night's result.

For someone who didn't watch the game what happened with the penalty decisions Noah?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 14:39 - Mar 3 with 581 viewsburnsieespana

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 13:02 - Mar 3 by noah4x4

Overall,encouraging.

Did we not play 3-4-1-2 which seems are far more sensible formation for the players available at this time?
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 15:23 - Mar 3 with 575 viewswessex_exile

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 13:47 - Mar 3 by RSCOSWORTH

Sounds promising. Nice to see a bit of optimism coming back to the board. The chances of us beating Newport have increased greatly on the back of last night's result.

For someone who didn't watch the game what happened with the penalty decisions Noah?

There were actually three penalty decisions. Initially, Sowunmi pulled of a blinding sliding tackle in the box, which Kettle in the misty gloom called as a penalty for the Cumbrians, but after protests from the U's he consulted with his linesman and eventually agreed no penalty.

Then we had the definite penalty, with big Frank holding up well and inviting the foul - cast-iron guaranteed penalty, no real dispute from Carlisle at all.

Finally, with five minutes to go, Jevani pushed a ball wide to go around the 'keeper, who dived and palmed the ball out for corner at the same time as bringing Jevani down. Again, Kettle immediately pointed to the spot, and this time the Carlisle players had to remonstrate with him before he would consult with his (other) linesman and agree it was actually only a corner to the U's.

The point has been made elsewhere that the Kettle of earlier years might have been more reluctant to admit such mistakes, so maybe to his credit he is improving?

Up the U's

Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 18:36 - Mar 3 with 539 viewsnoah4x4

We did indeed play with two up front after Saturday's debacle. Hopefully this is a sign that WB has decided to make decisions that don't adher to the failed Tony Humes 4-2-3-1 philosophy.

The outcome of the penalty decisions was remarkable. Kettle of old would have never reversed a decision. Ignoring VAR, the last time I saw a reversal of this crucial magnitude was the Russian Linesman (actually Azerbaijani) in 1966.

They think it's all over? Sadly no. We need another 14 points from 15 games. However, I think Mr Kettle has offered us a season changing moment. The increase in confidence after our equaliser was remarkable. Had we gone 2-0 down, I think it might have been game and season over.
Carlisle to be outfoxed by Super U's tonight on 23:17 - Mar 3 with 479 viewsDaniel

A rare missed game foe me, perhaps I need to avoid the Newport game too...

Great to read that the formation and tactics changed and proved pivotal in the result. Roll on more games without one up front and hopefully more points in the bag.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024