Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! 10:16 - Mar 6 with 824 viewsdurham_exile

Well Tuesday night was not only a shot in the arm, but also it showed us a few things and taught us some valuable lessons plus there are some other issues to address.

WB was the ideal short-term appointment.

RC was right to dispense with SB’s services, although HM has been retained as the number two again.

The worth to the team of Big Frank is incalculable, even though I felt he was disappointing in the first half on Tuesday!

WB has made an inspired selection in Junior Tchamadeu, even though the youngster has already occupied three different positions in the team. He should play right side, possibly as a wing back.

Shamal George made one of the most outstanding saves you could ever wish to see the other evening and performed superbly well.

Two strikers is a must and the way forward.

Despite what some might think Callum “Ainsley” Harriott is still our most potent attacker prepared to shoot from distance and with the ability to change game. He possesses all the ingredients to cook up the perfect Michelin starred creation.

WB must decide whether the strike pairing is Oteh and Nouble or Brown and Folivi or a combination of any two of them.

Courtney Senior must continue to ponder his future in the team from the sidelines. He has been woefully ineffective this season.

WB must decide whether 3,4,1,2 or 3,4,3 or 4,3,3 or 4,4,2 or 4,3,1,2 is his preferred formation.

Does Paris Cowan-Hall have a future at the club, I think he should be allowed some game time, but his injury record is poor.

When Ryan Clampin is fit then Josh Doherty should be returned to Crawley.
Sarpong-Wiredu is growing in influence each game.

It is good to se the youngsters like Sayer and Cracknell given their opportunities.
I would like to see Samson Tovide make an appearance soon.

WB will also have the same midfield issues when Stevenson and Pell are fit. A pairing from Chilvers, Sarpong-Wiredu, Stevenson, Lapslie or Pell.

Will Josh Bohui ever feature again.

With the U’s staring down the barrel after 14 games without a victory, WB finally instilled some confidence and ironically it was probably Trevor Kettle who was restored to the Christmas Card list of many U’s faithful for his courage in reversing a decision to award a penalty with the U’s already 1-0 down after an insipid first half. Omar Sowunmi made a great challenge, but Kettle signalled a penalty only to reverse his decision after speaking with his Assistant. It was the right call.

Admittedly at times the game was played in pure farcical conditions as the fog swirled around the pitch, but it was significant that the fog lifted after our reprieve and Kettle then gave a genuine penalty for a foul on Big Frank before Harriott’s double (his penalty going in off both posts) before Kettle once again awarded a penalty after Jevani Brown went to ground only to again reverse his decision after consulting his other assistant.

But take nothing away from the team who played with great fortitude and WB should be applauded for his inspired substitutions.

WB started with:

George
Eastman Sowunmi Smith
Welch-Hayes Chilvers Wiredu Tchamadeu
Harriott
Nouble Oteh

Subs: Folivi and Brown for Welch-Hayes and Oteh on 68 minutes and then Cracknell for Nouble on 90 minutes.
Unused Doherty, Senior, Poku, Coulter

Table:

COL U 31 36 -10
PV 32 34 -5
Southend 32 28 -26
Barrow 30 26 -8
Grimsby 30 24 -27

Now here is the thing. We have 15 games to play and 45 points to strive for.

Realistically we need 17 more points to achieve 53 points, which will absolutely guarantee survival, but with rose tinted specs on if we achieved 35 points from the 45 on offer then we would have 71 points, which could see us sneak into seventh place.

Is it beyond us, perhaps, but in this season of such incredible shocks and unusual results who knows:

Just look at the remaining fixtures:
Harrogate A
Grimsby A
Salford A
PV H
Tranmere H
Bradford H
Bolton A
Barrow H
Oldham A
Walsall H
Southend H
Cheltenham A
Salford H
Tranmere A

We are capable of winning 10 of those games and picking up the occasional draw. If we can go 14 games without a win then we can go 14 without defeat. Wishful thinking perhaps but looking at those fixtures nothing is impossible.

Anyway, unless we win today against the Exiles it simply is not possible. Now we owe Newport big time. We lost 2-1 earlier in the season at Rodney Parade conceding a last-minute winner.

I think our new found confidence will result in a 2-0 U’s victory.

But what team does WB play. Given that the injury list is still unchanged.
Well let us not tinker too much with a winning formula:

George

Eastman Sowunmi Smith

Welch-Hayes Chilvers Wiredu Tchamadeu

Harriott

Nouble Brown

Subs:
Coulter Poku Folivi Cracknell Oteh Doherty Marshall-Miranda

Weather continuing dry, 5 degrees c and cloudy at kick off.
The pitch is being given time to recover which is all good.

Let us maintain the confidence and improved form and go for back-to-back victories.

2-0 to the Super U’s

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 12:40 - Mar 6 with 787 viewsnoah4x4

We probably won't need 53 points to stay up Durham. To stay up in League Two over the last decade one has needed...(points)...

2019-20 (n/a as season was curtailed and points averaged).
2018-19 44
2017-18 46
2016-17 48
2015-16 43
2014-15 45
2013-14 50
2012-13 51
2011-12 46
2010-11 48

Where 53 points might be relevant is in League One where four teams are relegated. I reckon merely 14 more points might be enough based on the last ten years in League Two.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 12:41]
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 12:52 - Mar 6 with 778 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 12:40 - Mar 6 by noah4x4

We probably won't need 53 points to stay up Durham. To stay up in League Two over the last decade one has needed...(points)...

2019-20 (n/a as season was curtailed and points averaged).
2018-19 44
2017-18 46
2016-17 48
2015-16 43
2014-15 45
2013-14 50
2012-13 51
2011-12 46
2010-11 48

Where 53 points might be relevant is in League One where four teams are relegated. I reckon merely 14 more points might be enough based on the last ten years in League Two.
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 12:41]

Noah I don't disagree I'm just building in a degree of insurance.

Essentially it's all about garnering enough points to initially survive and then see what is realistic.

The remaining fixtures are interesting because I'm confident that we can survive but what could we achieve once a few wins are on the board.

A 15 game season. It's going to be fun!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 13:02 - Mar 6 with 777 viewswessex_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 12:52 - Mar 6 by durham_exile

Essentially it's all about garnering enough points to initially survive and then see what is realistic.

The remaining fixtures are interesting because I'm confident that we can survive but what could we achieve once a few wins are on the board.

Up the U's

Indeed, I'd rather not find ourselves counting fingers and toes too late in the season, let's get safe pdq and go from there...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 13:29 - Mar 6 with 764 viewsgerry_us

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 12:52 - Mar 6 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Fun Durham? That's not a word I have seen on this board for several months and particularly not from you! Let's hope the "fun" returns on a weekly basis as we all need it.
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 13:44 - Mar 6 with 757 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 13:29 - Mar 6 by gerry_us

Fun Durham? That's not a word I have seen on this board for several months and particularly not from you! Let's hope the "fun" returns on a weekly basis as we all need it.

Absolutely right Gerry. The relief and delight that I felt after Tuesdays win should be bottled and marketed.

The grim 14 games and performances had affected me more than I can say.

Yes I know that it's only football and there are many more important subjects and issues but after the last 3 years I take any crumb of comfort however small.

Now one Swallow doesn't make a summer but Tuesday night has kick-started our season and should we win today well it's a question of just what we can achieve by May.

So an unqualified fun rating is what I'm hoping for between now and then.

Stay safe.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 14:29 - Mar 6 with 742 viewsmfb_cufc

Team: George, Tchamadeu, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Wiredu, Chilvers, Folivi, Oteh, Harriott, Nouble

Subs: Welch-Hayes, Sayer, Sowunmi, Cowan-Hall, Senior, Brown, Coulter

mfb

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 14:33 - Mar 6 with 739 viewsnoah4x4

Brown is clearly out to attack with this line up. Has Humes left?

I fancy we might score three. But will we let in four????
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:02 - Mar 6 with 720 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 14:29 - Mar 6 by mfb_cufc

Team: George, Tchamadeu, Eastman, Smith, Clampin, Wiredu, Chilvers, Folivi, Oteh, Harriott, Nouble

Subs: Welch-Hayes, Sayer, Sowunmi, Cowan-Hall, Senior, Brown, Coulter

Is it just possible that someone is reading my musings?

Paris Cowan-Hall on the bench brilliant.

Clampin fit too.

Two strikers

Dreamland

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:24 - Mar 6 with 706 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:02 - Mar 6 by durham_exile

Is it just possible that someone is reading my musings?

Paris Cowan-Hall on the bench brilliant.

Clampin fit too.

Two strikers

Dreamland

Up the U's

Very encouraging play so far

Both full backs getting forward at every opportunity.

Plenty of attacking intent

Just need their shooting boots on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:32 - Mar 6 with 701 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:24 - Mar 6 by durham_exile

Very encouraging play so far

Both full backs getting forward at every opportunity.

Plenty of attacking intent

Just need their shooting boots on

Up the U's

Newport take the lead but undeserved.

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:50 - Mar 6 with 683 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:32 - Mar 6 by durham_exile

Newport take the lead but undeserved.

Come on

Up the U's

HT 0-1

But we can do this.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 15:51 - Mar 6 with 682 viewsgerry_us

First half; three shots, none on target? Is this our new attacking style. I sincerely hope not.
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:38 - Mar 6 with 639 viewsgerry_us

Come on the 10 men. Four shots on goal, none on target.
Come on U's, throw everything forward, nothing to lose.
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:40 - Mar 6 with 632 viewsgerry_us

Ahhhhhhhhh!
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:40 - Mar 6 with 632 viewsdurham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:38 - Mar 6 by gerry_us

Come on the 10 men. Four shots on goal, none on target.
Come on U's, throw everything forward, nothing to lose.

Newport is another team that I dislike intensely

Durham_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:41 - Mar 6 with 632 viewsnoah4x4

Nouble utterly stupid. Gets yellow carded then deliberately steps on players ankle. Discipline breaking down. Now 0-2. Bollox.

I forecast 0-2 in the Happy League then changed it.

Rubbish!
U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 17:05 - Mar 6 with 600 viewswessex_exile

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 16:41 - Mar 6 by noah4x4

Nouble utterly stupid. Gets yellow carded then deliberately steps on players ankle. Discipline breaking down. Now 0-2. Bollox.

I forecast 0-2 in the Happy League then changed it.

Rubbish!

Yep, deliberately stood on the foot/ ankle - clear as day - stupid!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 17:06 - Mar 6 with 598 viewsbwildered

Like the start of the previous home game, U’s back to pub side status . If most of these players think they have careers in football, they better think again . Inexperience players showed today . Not enough goals in side to get comfortable games. Going to be a hard slog to the end of the season, Still much in the bottom mix . Lack any intelligence in game today .
[Post edited 6 Mar 2021 17:12]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 18:33 - Mar 6 with 536 viewsmfb_cufc

Oxo are bringing out a new cube, they are going to put the Colchester United badge on the packaging, and call it a laughing stock.

mfb

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 18:44 - Mar 6 with 531 viewsMoor_Pinot

U's Exiles to enjoy U's victory over the Exiles today! on 18:33 - Mar 6 by mfb_cufc

Oxo are bringing out a new cube, they are going to put the Colchester United badge on the packaging, and call it a laughing stock.

Way second best again.
Fair play to Wayne for trying a different formation and for including overlooked people like Cowan-Hall. He may as well because by trying a few things he may find some sort of recipe to keep us off the bottom. He certainly has a tough task.
We have some good players but we're a poor side. Seven years of limp, languid, one dimensional management has caused this and Brown's head must be spinning. I hope he finds some answers and wish him well.
But we're not very good........ at all.

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024