Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park 11:33 - Mar 13 with 1502 viewsdurham_exile

Blundell Park Saturday 13th March 2021 at 1730hrs will not decide our fate this season but it will determine whether we deserve to be in the bottom two. Grimsby are rock bottom and although picking up a point midweek will consider the last-minute Carlisle equaliser as a kick in the teeth at a time when they like the U’s are fighting for every point.

It is a must win for the U’s in order to put some space between us and the bottom two and also to give some much-needed confidence ahead of the difficult game at Salford on Tuesday.

Indeed it is a relegation six pointer just to further ratchet up the pressure.

Table
18 Scunny 32 39 -9
19 Walsall 33 38 -6
20 COL U 33 36 -15
21 PV 34 35 -6
22 Barrow 32 32 -5
23 Southend 34 29 -28
24 Grimsby 32 25 -28

Goal difference is becoming a real issue for the U’s and Walsall’s defeat to Barrow midweek is dragging them into the relegation dogfight.

Remaining Fixtures:
Grimsby A
Salford A
PV H
Tranmere H
Bradford H
Bolton A
Barrow H
Oldham A
Walsall H
Southend H
Cheltenham A
Salford H
Tranmere H

To put things into perspective this will not be an easy game. We last won at Blundell Park in 1979. I have been several times since and we have either drawn or lost. I normally meet up with Gerry, we enjoy Papas’ Fish n Chips on Cleethorpes Pier and then walk it off enroute to the ground.

The irony this season is we have actually been selected by the computer to play Grimsby on a Saturday afternoon. Shock horror, the famous Tuesday night condemned to the annals of history. Of course, we hope that a victory today will finally give us the confidence to think about securing 53 points and safety. Yes, I know that fewer points will probably suffice but we must secure safety as soon as possible. There can be no messing about when we are struggling for points with the last three games all potentially difficult.

So, three points today is not only crucial but also will send out the message to our relegation bedfellows that we are fighting to avoid the drop.

Do we really want to visit Sutton, Hartlepool, Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham, Notts Co, Chesterfield, Yeovil, Dagenham, and Barnet next season (two of which will replace the relegated teams)?

Paul Hurst took over the Mariners after Ian Holloway was sacked, and he has found things difficult but as with all teams until it is mathematically impossible, they will feel that they are in with a shout of avoiding the drop.

This is not the time for recriminations, that will come later, the simple truth is that we have been advancing backwards for the past 5 years. WB has been brave enough to take over after we were left adrift by the previous administration. WB has been returning players to the fold who had been frozen out by SB and the one that I have banged on about for weeks is Paris Cowan-Hall. A player capable of playing in Defence, Midfield, or Up front and he gives great flexibility.

WB blooded some of the youngsters and perhaps they were not quite ready, but they have potential for the future as does Samson Tovide who must surely be in contention for a start towards the end of the season.

The three at the back with wing backs did not work the other evening. A flat back four seems favourite. We have missed Prosser this season but as with the other players who were allowed to leave, we must move on.

Team:

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Sarpong-Wiredu Pell Cowan-Hall

Brown

Harriott Nouble

Subs:

Coulter Stevenson Sowunmi Chilvers Folivi Poku Sayer

Ben Stevenson is back but only trained on Thursday therefore expect no more than 20 minutes today. I recommended leaving Chilvers out a few games ago for the simple reason that he looks burned out having been expected to play virtually every minute of every game. He has talent and potential and should be used as an impact player at the moment. Tom Lapslie similarly has had a frustrating season with injuries and false starts.

Big Frank was sorely missed and although stupid to be sent off (frustration being the main reason for his two offences) he will be needed at Blundell Park tonight.

Kwame Poku has not made the transition that he threatened to make last season and needs more time. Courtney Senior has been weak and ineffectual this season end of story.

Regardless of what people think about Jevani Brown, he is our best striker when he receives the service and up until mid-November was on fire. He needs to start, and the goals will come again.

The weather at Blundell Park will be 6 degrees Celsius at kick off, only a 5% risk of precipitation and a light breeze.

Colchester to prevail 3-1 for a much-needed victory and three vital points.

Enjoy the game (if you can).

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:11 - Mar 13 with 531 viewsgerry_us

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 18:54 - Mar 13 by thrillseeker

Looking a lot better this half

What? One extra shot but still none on target; that's better?
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:21 - Mar 13 with 505 viewsthrillseeker

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:11 - Mar 13 by gerry_us

What? One extra shot but still none on target; that's better?

I thought overall performance 2nd half was so much better than the 1st half.

Gerry - like you I am frustrated with our lack of shots on target
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:22 - Mar 13 with 502 viewsgerry_us

Stunning result. All we need to do now is practice "shots on target". NONE today; unacceptable.

Wow. BBC says one shot on target, presumably the one saved.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 19:33]
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:24 - Mar 13 with 493 viewswessex_exile

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:22 - Mar 13 by gerry_us

Stunning result. All we need to do now is practice "shots on target". NONE today; unacceptable.

Wow. BBC says one shot on target, presumably the one saved.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 19:33]

Errm, apart from the five we did have Gerry, including their 'keeper's stunning save to deny our 'Arry. Still, first priority was don't lose, which ticks off another game and we haven't lost any ground on the bottom two.

* shots I meant
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 19:25]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 19:58 - Mar 13 with 457 viewsburnsieespana

Will take that result as defeat be would have been a disaster.
Be happy if we draw 0-0 every remaing game!
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 20:43]
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 20:09 - Mar 13 with 455 viewsbwildered

Something nagging that Arry was one booking away from suspension ?
Still in our own hands and crucial we pick up home points until end of season .

Salford Tuesday night, hope they celebrated hard with Papa’s Trophy. PS leave it there has this seasons final on Sunday .
Pause for thought, last Tuesday, Crewe fielding seven academy players plus ex U’s forward who scored the winner, just goes to show something wrong in the decision making within the club.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 22:05 - Mar 13 with 417 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 16:43 - Mar 13 by durham_exile

Starting XI

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Wiredu Pell Cowan-Hall

Brown

Harriott Nouble

Coulter Senior Oteh Chilvers Stevenson Cracknell Tchamadeu

Well I can't complain he's picked my team!

But where is Folivi?

Come on the U's we can do this!

Feels like it’s been quite some time since you and the manager picked the same starting XI. Brown certainly isn’t afraid to change the team around.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 22:37 - Mar 13 with 407 viewsdurham_exile

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 22:05 - Mar 13 by RSCOSWORTH

Feels like it’s been quite some time since you and the manager picked the same starting XI. Brown certainly isn’t afraid to change the team around.

Very true RS
The thing that surprised me was where Folivi was and why WB didn't make changes earlier to freshen it up second half.

Big effort now required Tuesday night.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 10:57 - Mar 14 with 344 viewsgerry_us

Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 22:37 - Mar 13 by durham_exile

Very true RS
The thing that surprised me was where Folivi was and why WB didn't make changes earlier to freshen it up second half.

Big effort now required Tuesday night.

Maybe the philosophy is that 0-0 draws will see us safe. We certainly have the attacking force to do it!
Mariners to be all at sea against Super U's at Blundell Park on 12:50 - Mar 14 with 330 viewsburnsieespana

Whilst a point on Tuesday against Salford would be a bonus another vital game on Saturday against Port Vale where we need three points.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024