Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium 17:54 - Mar 16 with 1356 viewsdurham_exile

A third successive Away game tonight at 1900hrs for the Super U’s, this time against a Salford City team fresh from their EFL Trophy win against Pompey which cost Kenny Jackett his job. They won 4-2 on penalties and held the trophy for 24 hours. Sunderland ended 48 years of hurt with a 1-0 win against Tranmere Rovers.

Salford under Richie Wellens are handily placed in league two and amazingly are unbeaten at Moor Lane (The Peninsula Stadium) since a certain Colchester United won there with Ainsley Harriott and Kwame Poku on the scoresheet. Poku had his best game in a U’s shirt that day in the most horrendous of weather conditions. This game will be for the third time of asking tonight after two earlier postponements owing to the weather.

There is the possibility that Ian Henderson at 36 could be in the starting line up for the Ammies tonight after missing Wembley through illness. The man that John Ward called a wasp and who was productive for the U’s but really found his mettle at Rochdale now plays for Salford City.

Table:
Walsall 33 38 -6
COL U 34 37 -15
PV 35 35 -7
Barrow 32 32 -5
Southend 35 30 -28
Grimsby 33 26 -28

For all their success Salford are not prolific scorers (ok neither are we) so tonight must offer the U’s the chance to secure a second Away win this season. That would give us 40 points and real confidence with the final 12 games to come. The famous 53 points would then be very much in sight.

Our fate is still very much in our own hands and the players must strive for that elusive Away win.

I would not change the team this evening:

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Wiredu Pell Cowan-Hall

Brown

Harriott Nouble

Subs
Coulter Stevenson Chilvers Folivi Cracknell Tchamadeu Poku

The weather in Salford will be 7 degrees Celsius at kick off, dry and cloudy. The pitch should be ok.

Ben Stevenson should get some minutes today, Dean Gerken is nearing a comeback but Shamal George has acquitted himself well. Paris Cowan-Hall played well at Grimsby. Harry Pell will be stronger but must curb his temper at key times. Jevani Brown needs a goal and very soon. Tonight, would be nice. I would also like to see Michael Folivi back in the matchday 18.

If WB holds his nerve, then we can definitely see the wood from the trees and the U’s will be confident going back to the JSCS at the weekend for another relegation six pointer against Port Vale. Then Tranmere and Bradford. Put simply another two or three wins from those games and we will be almost home and dry.

Can we keep a clean sheet tonight it will be difficult but a handy 2-0 Colchester victory against a team distracted after the weekend would be brilliant? Harriott and Brown to see off the Ammies.

“Dirty Old Town” you better believe it!

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 21:59 - Mar 16 with 511 viewsgerry_us

Credit where it is due. Barrow winning at Cheltenham show they have the ba**s to get out of troubles.

Conversely we have now gone NINE away games without a goal...something of a record we could seriously do without. Can't even think what the answer is?
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 22:05]
Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 23:35 - Mar 16 with 477 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 21:59 - Mar 16 by gerry_us

Credit where it is due. Barrow winning at Cheltenham show they have the ba**s to get out of troubles.

Conversely we have now gone NINE away games without a goal...something of a record we could seriously do without. Can't even think what the answer is?
[Post edited 16 Mar 2021 22:05]

Gerry I don't know what the answer is.

We dont create many opportunities and when we do as with tonight we fail to convert them.

I thought as a team we played well. Salford didn't hurt us at all. George made some very fine interventions rather than saves.

The front three of Big Frank, Jevani Brown and Ainsley Harriott failed to create enough chances.

Michael Folivi seesm to be frozen out at the moment. Josh Bohui is never played and Oteh is too lightweight.

The Port Vale game must produce that elusive victory. It really is a six pointer.

I think that WB has got the team moving in the right direction, but we have to find the net.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 00:00 - Mar 17 with 468 viewsmfb_cufc

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 21:45 - Mar 16 by RSCOSWORTH

Anyone know the record for the most 0-0's in a single season? We are killing football right now, and not in a good way, bet the fans are glad they can't go at the moment.

I have no idea what the record for the number of 0-0's in a season is, but no goals in nine away games must definitely be a record for us, and probably any other EFL team as well. What is so surprising about this run is that we scored for 18 league games running earlier in the season.

mfb

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 06:51 - Mar 17 with 452 viewsnoah4x4

My impression is that Brown and Harriott have become lazy. No longer are they chasing down defenders, and far too often they don't chase speculative balls. Energy conservation is fine, but we never seem to gamble on getting on the end of a cross. Our attacking build ups are long and ponderous, and allow the opposition to pack defences. In Welch-Hayes and Clampin we have wide men that can attack fast and put in a dangerous ball, but Harriott, Poku and Senior would sooner demonstrate flicks and tricks and lose the ball. We need to play Nouble wide, but having let Robinson and Norris depart, we have nobody then to lead the line.

But last night was encouraging given Salford's home record. We have such a high percentage of home games remaining, we ought to be safe.
Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 08:36 - Mar 17 with 432 viewsburnsieespana

In all honesty if we have eleven more 0-0 draws and stay out of trouble I will be happy.
Not be pretty stuff but seems to me WB is setting us up to ge hard to beat okwhich was where Parky started from.
Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 20:53 - Mar 17 with 352 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 08:36 - Mar 17 by burnsieespana

In all honesty if we have eleven more 0-0 draws and stay out of trouble I will be happy.
Not be pretty stuff but seems to me WB is setting us up to ge hard to beat okwhich was where Parky started from.

Grimsby 0 Tranmere 0

So far so good

Durham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 20:57 - Mar 17 with 350 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 20:53 - Mar 17 by durham_exile

Grimsby 0 Tranmere 0

So far so good

0-0, a popular score no less!
Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 21:45 - Mar 17 with 343 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to prevail against the Ammies at the Peninsula Stadium on 20:57 - Mar 17 by gerry_us

0-0, a popular score no less!

Absolutely right.
Let's hope we can buck the trend on Saturday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024