Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? 15:59 - Apr 23 with 1316 viewsTheHappyGooner

Since the heady days of 2005 and just after - Col U have had loads of managers since.

Was Phil Parkinson the best ever ?

How is he genuinely regarded ?

What say ye ?

WE ARE THE HAPPY GOONERS ! LONDONS FINEST !
Poll: The Big one v Southend - huge game - what say ye?

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 18:54 - Apr 23 with 1276 viewswessex_exile

When we look at Phil Parkinson's legacy, I don't think there's much doubt that he must be considered the best manager we've had. There have been others who are definitely worthy of consideration, including back in the day the likes of Ted Davis, Jimmy Allen, Benny Fenton and of course Dick Graham. Roy McDonough and Geraint Williams are also worthy contenders for differing reasons, but it was the seismic shift that Parky brought about during his time here, shaking us up from our provincial lower league perspective and showing us what could be achieved, that to me stands him apart.

The manner of his departure still rankles with some (including me), which does slightly tarnish that legacy, and he would have been better-advised on his return not to have run up and down the Layer Rd touchline celebrating Hull City's opening goal with such glee - but in the context of where he was at right then, staring down the barrel of imminent redundancy from the job he had only recently walked out on us for, I can get that. I'm certainly not going to go all 'Tango Man' bottom-lippy because of it.

Yep, Phil Parkinson the best U's manager.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 22:17 - Apr 23 with 1257 viewsburnsieespana

Wessex a good summing up.
Has to be Parky if for no other reason he got us where we had never been before.
To my mind the sad thing was he left without managing us in the Championship
Personally I would throw Mike Walker and Benjy Fenton into the mix as certainly either must be one of our top five Manager's.
Staggering to think we have had 15 since 2005!
15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 00:01 - Apr 24 with 1244 viewsdurham_exile

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 22:17 - Apr 23 by burnsieespana

Wessex a good summing up.
Has to be Parky if for no other reason he got us where we had never been before.
To my mind the sad thing was he left without managing us in the Championship
Personally I would throw Mike Walker and Benjy Fenton into the mix as certainly either must be one of our top five Manager's.
Staggering to think we have had 15 since 2005!

Totally agree about Parky and he could definitely do a job for us next season.
Best Manager for Colchester United in the past 50 years.

Since I have supported the U's I have good memories of Jim Smith, Bobby Roberts, Allan Hunter, Cyril Lea, Mike Walker, and Steve Wignall. Big Roy was a legend of course.

Sadly many of the most recent will not live long in the memory.

Hayden Mullins and Paul Tisdale have come in and are doing a great job.

Will they get the nod next season. Perhaps so.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 07:52 - Apr 24 with 1231 viewswessex_exile

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 00:01 - Apr 24 by durham_exile

Totally agree about Parky and he could definitely do a job for us next season.
Best Manager for Colchester United in the past 50 years.

Since I have supported the U's I have good memories of Jim Smith, Bobby Roberts, Allan Hunter, Cyril Lea, Mike Walker, and Steve Wignall. Big Roy was a legend of course.

Sadly many of the most recent will not live long in the memory.

Hayden Mullins and Paul Tisdale have come in and are doing a great job.

Will they get the nod next season. Perhaps so.

Up the U's

Good call on Mike Walker. Of those with us for a decent amount of time, his win rate was exceptional, better than Parky’s. Incidentally, of those 15, we went through 7 between November 2015 and May 2016!

Up the U's

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 09:39 - Apr 24 with 1207 viewsTheOldOakTree

There must be something wrong with my records, I only make it 8 managers since Parky?

I appreciate the one that's been in power since 2014 has had numerous lackeys.

Parky has to be top of the list, but the Geraint/Mick Harford combo brought some memorable times in the championship.
15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 10:14 - Apr 24 with 1203 viewsMoor_Pinot

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 07:52 - Apr 24 by wessex_exile

Good call on Mike Walker. Of those with us for a decent amount of time, his win rate was exceptional, better than Parky’s. Incidentally, of those 15, we went through 7 between November 2015 and May 2016!

Yep!
1.Parky
2.Jim Smith
3.Mike Walker
4.Geraint.

Moor Pinot

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 10:29 - Apr 24 with 1197 viewswessex_exile

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 09:39 - Apr 24 by TheOldOakTree

There must be something wrong with my records, I only make it 8 managers since Parky?

I appreciate the one that's been in power since 2014 has had numerous lackeys.

Parky has to be top of the list, but the Geraint/Mick Harford combo brought some memorable times in the championship.

Hayden Mullins is actually our 17th manager since Parky, but only if you count all the various caretakers between permanent appointments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Colchester_United_F.C._managers

Otherwise, it’s George, Lamberk, Betty, Ward, Joe, Humes, Keen, McGreal and Steve Ball (and not counting Wayne’s curtailed probationary period). Jury’s out on whether you’d even include Keen and Ball, as neither completed a full season.

Up the U's

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 11:12 - Apr 24 with 1184 viewsRSCOSWORTH

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 10:29 - Apr 24 by wessex_exile

Hayden Mullins is actually our 17th manager since Parky, but only if you count all the various caretakers between permanent appointments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Colchester_United_F.C._managers

Otherwise, it’s George, Lamberk, Betty, Ward, Joe, Humes, Keen, McGreal and Steve Ball (and not counting Wayne’s curtailed probationary period). Jury’s out on whether you’d even include Keen and Ball, as neither completed a full season.

Did Lambert and Boothroyd complete a full season? Maybe across different seasons they both did. I'm not sure either of them managed a full August to May of the same season though.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 11:49 - Apr 24 with 1175 viewsburnsieespana

I think for historical accuracy we have to include everybody however short a period they are in the chair.
It is becoming almost the norm for clubs to have at least two Managers in a season and when you think about it, apart from the JMcG years we have gone through a lot. Even more staggering when JMcG was sacked he was one of the longest serving in the football league.
15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 13:05 - Apr 24 with 1166 viewsFruitbat

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 11:12 - Apr 24 by RSCOSWORTH

Did Lambert and Boothroyd complete a full season? Maybe across different seasons they both did. I'm not sure either of them managed a full August to May of the same season though.

You're correct. Lambert came in part way into season #1 and went immediately after the start of season #2. Boothroyd completed that season but left for Coventry a couple of weeks after it ended. Neither managed 46 league games in charge.
15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 13:34 - Apr 24 with 1159 viewswessex_exile

15 or so managers since Phil Parkinson ....how is he regarded ? on 13:05 - Apr 24 by Fruitbat

You're correct. Lambert came in part way into season #1 and went immediately after the start of season #2. Boothroyd completed that season but left for Coventry a couple of weeks after it ended. Neither managed 46 league games in charge.

This is true.

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024