Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... 14:10 - Apr 27 with 1558 viewsdurham_exile

It is Now!

Colchester may not be playing this evening, but the Relegation issue could well be done and dusted at 2100hrs.

Fixtures:

Newport v Scunny
Bradford v Salford
Cheltenham v Carlisle
Exeter v Grimsby
FGR v Barrow

Table
Cheltenham 43 78 +20
Cambridge 44 77 +22
Bolton 44 76 +7
Morecambe 44 72 +7
Tranmere 44 72 +6
FGR 43 67 +6
Newport 43 66 +10
Salford 43 65 +17
Exeter 43 63 +19
Carlisle 43 61 +8

Bottom
COL U 44 47 -18
Scunny 43 47 -18
Barrow 43 46 -7
Southend 44 41 -30
Grimsby 43 40 -29

Each of the five games tonight affects both the top and bottom of the table.

If Grimsby lose or draw, they are virtually relegated (41 points means they must win both games and overturn GD of -11)
If Grimsby win, they live to fight another day and can still achieve 49 points

If Barrow win or draw the Southend are virtually relegated — GD will essentially relegate them
If Barrow lose then they have the fallback position of playing Southend at Holker Street on Saturday

Southend need to win both remaining games and make up -12 GD to stay up

Carlisle must win to retain hopes of the play offs
Exeter must win to retain hopes of the play offs

FGR must win to retain hopes of the play offs
Newport must win to retain hopes of the play offs

Scunny still need two points to be certain of avoiding relegation

Still all to play for!

I reckon Barrow will get the point they need, and Grimsby will lose or draw.

Southend and Grimsby thus relegated pending overturning up to -12 GD.

Regardless what happens we need to win on Saturday for pride and to finish the season strongly.

The team will have learned their lesson for an insipid second half against Cheltenham when a point was definitely on the cards.

Up the U’s
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 14:18]

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:43 - Apr 27 with 675 viewsburnsieespana

Let's hope they don't fold now!
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:45 - Apr 27 with 670 viewsdurham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:42 - Apr 27 by wessex_exile

Finally Exeter grow a pair

And they should have gone 3-2 up.

Essentially they will be down with Southend unless Scummy ship more goals.

Exeter now 3-2

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:46 - Apr 27 with 668 viewsnoah4x4

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:42 - Apr 27 by noah4x4

Exeter equalise.
76 mins gone in the Us game and I think we have defended well.

Exeter 3 - 2.
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:46 - Apr 27 with 662 viewswessex_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:46 - Apr 27 by noah4x4

Exeter 3 - 2.

Woohoo!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:47 - Apr 27 with 661 viewsdurham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:45 - Apr 27 by durham_exile

And they should have gone 3-2 up.

Essentially they will be down with Southend unless Scummy ship more goals.

Exeter now 3-2

Southend have to turn over an 8 goal defecit against Scunny

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:52 - Apr 27 with 645 viewsdurham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:47 - Apr 27 by durham_exile

Southend have to turn over an 8 goal defecit against Scunny

Someone called Henderson has just scored for Salford

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:56 - Apr 27 with 642 viewsdurham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:52 - Apr 27 by durham_exile

Someone called Henderson has just scored for Salford

Up the U's

Cheltenham promoted

Salford won at Bradford

Grimsby relegated

Barrow win and are safe

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:56 - Apr 27 with 640 viewsnoah4x4

Cheltenham promoted tonight, so I am encouraged after watching Saturday’s game (tonight). I thought we battled hard and were unfortunate to concede. Didn’t threaten much up front, but on another day might have had a hard won point.

Grimsby down. Scunny now in a worse position than us. Southend 12 goal disadvantage. Think we can finally relax with Grimsby failing.
Login to get fewer ads

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:59 - Apr 27 with 632 viewswessex_exile

..aaaand that's a wrap!

Grimsby relegated, Southend must overturn a -8 goal difference deficit, and that's just to catch Scunthorpe. To catch us, it's a -12 deficit.

Relax chaps, it's all over now!

However unlikely it is, catching Scunthorpe would be interesting, relegating two near rivals and keeping the Essex derby alive?

Who am I kidding, just as much fun to say ta'ra to Southend for a year or two

Up the U's

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:06 - Apr 27 with 616 viewsdurham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 20:59 - Apr 27 by wessex_exile

..aaaand that's a wrap!

Grimsby relegated, Southend must overturn a -8 goal difference deficit, and that's just to catch Scunthorpe. To catch us, it's a -12 deficit.

Relax chaps, it's all over now!

However unlikely it is, catching Scunthorpe would be interesting, relegating two near rivals and keeping the Essex derby alive?

Who am I kidding, just as much fun to say ta'ra to Southend for a year or two

Dirty Old Town bring on Salford - Let's finish at home with a win on Saturday!

Table

COLU 44 -18 47
Scunny 44 -22 47
Southend 44 -30 41 virtually Relegated
Grimsby 44 -30 40 Relegated

Up the U's
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 21:08]

Durham_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:18 - Apr 27 with 591 viewsmfb_cufc

Phew. That was getting to close for comfort. The way Grimsby were going they could have won their last two games as well, and we would have needed at least 2 more points to stay above them. At least we can say that was more fun than mid table mediocrity now.

mfb

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:29 - Apr 27 with 582 viewsgerry_us

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:18 - Apr 27 by mfb_cufc

Phew. That was getting to close for comfort. The way Grimsby were going they could have won their last two games as well, and we would have needed at least 2 more points to stay above them. At least we can say that was more fun than mid table mediocrity now.

Think I prepare boring...
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:32 - Apr 27 with 580 viewswessex_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 21:29 - Apr 27 by gerry_us

Think I prepare boring...

Nah - this is much more fun

Up the U's

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 22:25 - Apr 27 with 552 viewsburnsieespana

What would we have to moan or worry about if it was mid table mediocrity?
[Post edited 27 Apr 2021 22:25]
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 05:18 - Apr 28 with 512 viewsnoah4x4

Does this exciting lucky escape mean a moan free zone, or can we still demand "Humes Out"? Hopefully Cowling is wiser after the positive experience of bringing in management from outside and playing two up front, whilst sidelining the too lazy, Senior, Poku and Brown.
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 09:16 - Apr 28 with 470 viewsburnsieespana

Going to be a massive summer of change with lots of decent players available.
I hope we move quickly to remodel our squad after this crazy season.
Be good if RC does remove people like Humes, etc as although some decent players have been recruited over last few years in many cases have ended up square pegs in round holes.
Hopefully Mullins will stay on and stamp his authority, going forward on the style of play he wants and we sign players to fit that.
Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 09:26 - Apr 28 with 469 viewswessex_exile

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 05:18 - Apr 28 by noah4x4

Does this exciting lucky escape mean a moan free zone, or can we still demand "Humes Out"? Hopefully Cowling is wiser after the positive experience of bringing in management from outside and playing two up front, whilst sidelining the too lazy, Senior, Poku and Brown.

Once the euphoria of escaping relegation has subsided, without doubt there does have to be the inquest into why we ended up in this position in the first place, and how are we going to avoid it happening again.

Humes has no influence over the way we’re set up, formations, tactics etc, so anything on the park isn’t down to him. He does work with the management seeking out the right sort of players for the squad, but in that regard I’d say he’s been quite successful (e.g. Wiredu?). Robbie has already admitted to the greatest impact, letting high earners go to protect the financial security of the club. Certainly banjaxed this season, time will tell what will mean for us (and those who’ve chosen to kick that can down the road) in the not too distant future?

Steve Ball was the committed loyal employee, just not up to the task of managing a league side, but he got something right with Jevani. Wayne was the people’s choice, but couldn’t translate his fire and passion as a player into the squad he managed. Calm considered Hayden, with the experience of Tisdale alongside, seems to be the perfect combination - hope we can keep them together for next season!

Up the U’s!!

Up the U's

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 14:16 - Apr 28 with 418 viewsmfb_cufc

We have to get away from this failed philosophy of 4-5-1 and playing out from the back. We are at a disadvantage before we kick-off, because every club knows exactly how we are going to play. Even tangerine man, who had only been in the job 5 minutes, said "I thought they were going to play out from the back".

Also I think most fans, without being bias, thought we had squad this season that should have been top half. This didn't happen, down to a bad choice of manager, but mainly because we have too many players playing out of position. This ties in with my first point. We have players trying to fit the philosophy, rather than having a system that gets the best out of them. We have a lot of players recently who haved moved up to play in League 1, and I think it will happen with certain members of the current squad who are not offered new contracts.

I would like to see the Mullins and Tisdale partnership given a longer spell in charge. But they must be allowed to continue doing things their way, playing 4-4-2 for example, and not be tied in to a philosophy of playing a certain way, like previous managers have done since the time of John Ward.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2021 23:39]

mfb

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 09:40 - Apr 29 with 345 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The worrying thing for me is that we generally follow a relegation battle with another one the next season. Losing is a hard habit to get out of, we've seen that first hand this season and also teams that get relegated often find it difficult the next season despite being in the division below especially at the start. I'm not sure Mullins is the right person for the job, two wins against two of the worst teams in the division isn't the greatest return and you could argue that Steve Ball did better in the equivalent number of games at the start of the season, different situation though as the players weren't super low on confidence then. Mullins is effectively another internal appointment and again an extremely inexperienced manager but until that's sorted out it's difficult to know what the squad is going to look like as managers will always have different opinions on players.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Some people are on the pitch, they think it's all over....... on 10:08 - Apr 29 with 329 viewsburnsieespana

Guess a lot depends who comes in as his assistant assuming he gets the role. Somehow I can't see Tisdale remaining but would like him to do so.
Should Humes, Dr Sousa, Ball remain as the recruiting team is really the big question in my mind or do we need a root and branch clear out as is happening at Ipswich?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024