Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies 10:32 - May 1 with 2077 viewsdurham_exile

After an incredible game last night which saw Cambridge lose 5-4 at Harrogate, it shows that league Two this season has been the most unpredictable league. After all who would have thought that on Matchday 45 we were still strictly speaking not mathematically safe from the dreaded Relegation.

Yes, our Essex fiends must win both their games and somehow overcome a 12-goal difference and we have to lose both of ours. Unlikely of course but we still need one point to be absolutely certain of survival. Scunny are also in the frame and Southend only have to overcome an 8-goal difference in their case. Also, unlikely.

COLU 44 47 -18
Scunny 44 47 -22
Southend 44 41 -30 Virtually Relegated
Grimsby 44 40 -30 Relegated

So, Relegation is done and dusted. But what about Promotion?

Cheltenham 44 79
Cambridge 45 77
Bolton 44 76
Morecambe 44 72
Tranmere 44 72
Newport 44 69
Salford 44 68
FGR 44 67
Exeter 44 66

Our opponents today and next week are both in the top seven mix.

Fixtures today:

Barrow v Southend
Bradford v Scunny
Bolton v Exeter
FGR v Tranmere
Newport v Cheltenham
Walsall v Morecambe

Exciting stuff!

As far as we are concerned, I want to see Colchester finish the season strongly. Yes, we have had a lousy season, unprecedented after missing out in the Play Offs last year but today is not the time for recriminations, they will come during the summer when we have to persuade many of our better players to stay and to consider better times next year. Build back better as someone once said.

Incredibly in today’s programme I note that nowhere is Paul Tisdale mentioned in the personalities and positions list. His experience has been instrumental in securing the points to avoid the drop and his pairing with Hayden Mullins has been crucial. Why no mention. If HM stays on next season, it is unlikely that the influential PT will be there to support him.

Harry Pell tells it the way it is in his column. Pulling no punches and I hope that HP leads the team next season.

RC plans a full statement once we know the outcome of the season. He writes in today’s programme “With hindsight I could have done things better but as long as we start next season in the EFL on the same zero points as everyone else in our division and we haven’t deferred any payments to anyone then I will regard this season as mission accomplished. Next season could be another uphill battle against COVID-19 restrictions but at least we wont be climbing it with a proverbial piano on our back.”

Quite so!

The programme shows 31 players within the First team bubble. Some will leave but we must be looking to strengthen during the summer. More of this later after the Tranmere game.

So, who do HM and PT line up with today? Hopefully, the fewer changes the better. Brendan Wiredu may miss out through injury. He must be number one or two on the starting XI list next season.

So, what about in a 4,4,2:

George

Welch-Hayes Eastman Smith Clampin

Chilvers Pell Stevenson Harriott

Folivi Nouble

Subs:

Gerken Sowunmi Lapslie Tchamadeu Bohui Brown Cowan-Hall

Forget about relatively safe. We must be looking to finish strongly. After all, at one stage this season we looked to be competing for a top seven finish ourselves. I predict 3-1 to the Super U’s.

Weather in Colchester today is 12 degrees Celsius and sunny but some rain to come later perhaps as the game is finishing.

Salford are no mugs, however. Under Richie Wellens they won the Papa John’s Trophy and held the trophy for 24 hours! Quickly though Gary Bowyer took over and has guided them to seventh spot at present. Ian Henderson the 36-year-old former doyen of Colchester has scored some vital goals for the Ammies. John Ward described him as a wasp. In a week when Wasps have been given a lot of positive press versus Bees. Why?

So, plenty to look forward to and we should be able to play with an element of freedom today.

One thing is certain at least we know who H is.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 1 May 2021 11:09]

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 13:35 - May 7 with 365 viewsgerry_us

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 12:51 - May 7 by RSCOSWORTH

Not been offered new contracts or not happy with the contracts they've been offered perhaps?

If that is the case they should be dismissed immediately.
If they have a contract for this season they should be professionally enough to play to their best ability to the end of that contract...obviously not.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:38 - May 7 with 352 viewsMoor_Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 12:51 - May 7 by RSCOSWORTH

Not been offered new contracts or not happy with the contracts they've been offered perhaps?

Hmmm.

Harriott's agent has probably got a LG 1 side for him, Pell will be back to Whaddon Rd like a shot now they're in lg 1. He has as good as said as much previously. If I'm right and I'm usually not, the club will know and select accordingly.

Moor Pinot

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:43 - May 7 with 351 viewsgerry_us

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies (n/t) on 18:20 - May 7 with 319 viewsbwildered

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:38 - May 7 by Moor_Pinot

Hmmm.

Harriott's agent has probably got a LG 1 side for him, Pell will be back to Whaddon Rd like a shot now they're in lg 1. He has as good as said as much previously. If I'm right and I'm usually not, the club will know and select accordingly.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024