Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup 13:32 - May 13 with 753 viewsMarkB

Does anyone know when Colchester United first took part in the old East Anglian Cup?

Maybe around the late 40's/early 50's ?
Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 15:34 - May 13 with 718 viewsdurham_exile

In my ignorance I had never heard of the East Anglian Cup but wikipedia includes the following. write up:

Colchester Town won the competition but Colchester United didn't.

"The East Anglian Cup was a football competition that embraced East Anglian clubs in Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk, but also included clubs from a much wider geographical area, from Boston and Louth in Lincolnshire down to Oxford City, Chelsea and Gillingham in the South, plus Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire teams as well. Amateur teams and the lower sides of professional clubs competed alongside each other in a long-running competition.

It was originally started as the South East Anglian League in 1903 with three clubs from Colchester, (Town, Crown and Garrison), Ipswich Town and Harwich & Parkeston. The number of teams competing grew gradually and the “South” part of the name was dropped and the competition continued until the First World War. After the War it was competed for as the East Anglian Cup for the first time in 1920/21, whilst the East Anglian League continued until it merged with the Norfolk & Suffolk League in 1964 to form the current Anglian Combination.

From 1921 to 1939 the rules limited membership to 16 clubs and it continued during the Second World War, whilst most football was suspended, providing competition for RAF teams, works sides and top amateur clubs of the time. Post War expansion saw the limit on numbers eventually removed in 1960 and the draw was made on a geographical basis to prevent large distances being travelled. The matches were arranged by mutual agreement between clubs and usually consisted of two rounds, an area semi-final, an area final, with the four winners meeting in the semi-finals and final. The competition lasted over a hundred years but seems to have fallen out of favour with the last final taking place in 2009.

Norwich City were the most successful team in the history of the East Anglian Cup with 12 victories from the early days to the 1920s and a treble in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Cambridge were the next most successful with 6 wins as Cambridge Town plus four more when they had changed their name to Cambridge City. King's Lynn and Romford were next with 5 apiece, although one for Romford includes their modern incarnation."

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 16:16 - May 13 with 710 viewspwrightsknees

A brilliant piece of footballing history, Durham. Many thanks
Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 16:57 - May 13 with 698 viewsgerry_us

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 15:34 - May 13 by durham_exile

In my ignorance I had never heard of the East Anglian Cup but wikipedia includes the following. write up:

Colchester Town won the competition but Colchester United didn't.

"The East Anglian Cup was a football competition that embraced East Anglian clubs in Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk, but also included clubs from a much wider geographical area, from Boston and Louth in Lincolnshire down to Oxford City, Chelsea and Gillingham in the South, plus Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire teams as well. Amateur teams and the lower sides of professional clubs competed alongside each other in a long-running competition.

It was originally started as the South East Anglian League in 1903 with three clubs from Colchester, (Town, Crown and Garrison), Ipswich Town and Harwich & Parkeston. The number of teams competing grew gradually and the “South” part of the name was dropped and the competition continued until the First World War. After the War it was competed for as the East Anglian Cup for the first time in 1920/21, whilst the East Anglian League continued until it merged with the Norfolk & Suffolk League in 1964 to form the current Anglian Combination.

From 1921 to 1939 the rules limited membership to 16 clubs and it continued during the Second World War, whilst most football was suspended, providing competition for RAF teams, works sides and top amateur clubs of the time. Post War expansion saw the limit on numbers eventually removed in 1960 and the draw was made on a geographical basis to prevent large distances being travelled. The matches were arranged by mutual agreement between clubs and usually consisted of two rounds, an area semi-final, an area final, with the four winners meeting in the semi-finals and final. The competition lasted over a hundred years but seems to have fallen out of favour with the last final taking place in 2009.

Norwich City were the most successful team in the history of the East Anglian Cup with 12 victories from the early days to the 1920s and a treble in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Cambridge were the next most successful with 6 wins as Cambridge Town plus four more when they had changed their name to Cambridge City. King's Lynn and Romford were next with 5 apiece, although one for Romford includes their modern incarnation."

Up the U's

Did Wiki include details or photo of the cup?
On closer inspection the cup appears to be awarded for "hare coursing".
Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 18:53 - May 13 with 674 viewsbwildered

The answer must be .. 1937. Colchester teams previously played under other guises.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 18:57 - May 13 with 673 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 16:57 - May 13 by gerry_us

Did Wiki include details or photo of the cup?
On closer inspection the cup appears to be awarded for "hare coursing".

Gerry mea culpa!

When I posted the article, I didn't check which East Anglian Cup it was!

It does look a fine piece of silverware though.

Silver coursing through every sinew!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 11:10 - May 14 with 624 viewsMarkB

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 18:53 - May 13 by bwildered

The answer must be .. 1937. Colchester teams previously played under other guises.

I understand that the first season could be 1937/38, but I don't think that it actually was, unfortunately.
Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 21:16 - May 14 with 589 viewswessex_exile

Colchester United and the East Anglian Cup on 11:10 - May 14 by MarkB

I understand that the first season could be 1937/38, but I don't think that it actually was, unfortunately.

It was an amateur/reserve side competition, so the only way we competed would have been with a reserve side. Graeson's excellent Coludata website doesn't list reserve matches. If we did compete, the logical answer should have been 1937/38 when we were formed?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024