Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park 15:46 - Aug 5 with 1794 viewsdurham_exile

Saturday sees the start of yet another season in League Two, our sixth since relegation from League One . Since returning to the basement league, we have finished 8th, 13th, 8th, 6th, and 20th respectively.

Last season is done and dusted, and we can only look forward to a more successful 2021/22.

Of course, we have experienced 16 months of unprecedented lockdowns and a shocking death toll from a virus which is likely to be with us for many years like influenza or other viral strains. But the vaccination programme has stemmed the tide and for the first time in some months the country is able to unlock, and a degree of normality has returned.

The prospect of a wholesale return to elite sport in its many guises has lifted spirits and the Colchester faithful will be able to travel to Cumbria this weekend, just as they can return to the JSCS for league games the following weekend.

Last season we were able to watch the games online and this season COLU TV will enable certain games to be streamed. I thoroughly enjoyed the recent pre-season friendly against Ipswich but there is no substitute to actually being at the game. Brunton Park is always a game that I look forward to. The view from the Away end of the Pioneer Stand and Warwick Road end is always good and the Cumbrians have a vocal partisan following. This weekend they are offering tickets at £10 each which should see a healthy opening day attendance.

We parted company with the following players at the end of last season and in the case of Poku very recently to Peterborough United:

Jevani Brown
Josh Bohui
Callum Coulter
Paris Cowan-Hall
Luke Gambin
Callum Harriott
Tom Lapslie
Harry Pell
Kwame Poku
Courtney Senior
Omar Sowunmi
Diaz Wright

Once Hayden Mullins (HM) had been appointed as Manager and had been joined by Alex Dyer (AD), they set out transforming the team with the accent on bringing in experience:

Luke Chambers
Cameron Coxe
Luke Hannant
Sylvester Jasper (on Loan from Fulham until Jan 22)
Alan Judge
Frank Nouble
Freddie Sears
Cole Skuse

I would imagine that HM will still be looking to add to his recruitment. Another striker must be high on the list, but it is arguably too late for this weekend.

These eight additions have transformed the players into a squad numbered as follows:

Dean Gerken 1
Miles Welch-Hayes 2
Ryan Clampin 3
Luke Chambers 4 Captain
Tommy Smith 5
Brendan Wiredu 6
Luke Hannant 7
Cole Skuse 8
Frank Nouble 9
Alan Judge 10
Freddie Sears 11
Noah Chilvers 14
Tom Eastman 18
Gene Kennedy 21
Junior Tchamadeu 22
Sylvester Jasper 17
Andre Hasanally 25
Cameron Coxe 27
Shamal George 29
Al-Amin Kazeem 30
Donell Thomas 31
Jake Hutchinson 32
Marley M Miranda 33
Samson Tovide 34
Billy Cracknell 35
Harvey Sayer 36
Frankie Terry 40
Sam Cornish 41
Tom Stagg 42
Harry Beadle 43

Michael Folivi was desperately unlucky to sustain his achilles injury and it is hoped that the club will be able to offer him a contract in due course.

So much for the preamble, Saturday sees the U’s travelling to Brunton Park Carlisle for the opening game of what should be an encouraging season. The U’s must aim for automatic promotion and on paper they have the defence and midfield to stake a claim. It is once again the striking department which looks a little light.

Richard Kone is plying his trade with Brentford after a trial spell at the JSCS. It is unlikely that we will see him again but not impossible. 19-year-old Sylvester Jasper has signed on loan from Fulham. He scored 8 goals in 16 appearances for their U23s last season then had an unsuccessful trial at Sheffield Wednesday before coming to Colchester.

My favourite all action target man Scott Quigley went to Stockport County and Paul Mullin turned down Cambridge in League One for big spending Hollywood invested Wrexham now managed by Parky. Still never mind plenty more fish in the sea!

HM has ensured that the following players saw many pre-season minutes; Smith, Chambers, Sears, Clampin, Eastman, Nouble, Wiredu, Judge, Skuse, Coxe, Chilvers, Welch-Hayes, Hannant, George and Gerken.

I am unclear as to how many trialists (if any) have been offered contracts and so my team selection is based upon recent pre-season games.

HM has favoured a 5,3,2 formation in pre-season with:

George or Gerken
Welch-Hayes Eastman Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Judge Chilvers
Sears Nouble

Or 3,5,2

George or Gerken
Eastman Chambers Smith
Welch-Hayes Wiredu Judge Chilvers Clampin
Sears Nouble
Or 4,4,2

George or Gerken
Welch-Hayes Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Judge Chilvers Skuse
Sears Nouble

I suspect that he will play 5,3,2 at Carlisle as above but I would like to see the following squad and formation. Luke Hannant had contracted COVID but hopefully will be fit to start on Saturday, in which case I would suggest a bold 4,4,2 as follows:

George

Welch-Hayes Chambers Smith Clampin

Hannant Wiredu Chilvers Judge

Sears Nouble

Subs:

Gerken Eastman Coxe Skuse Jasper Tovide Tchamadeu

The choice seems to be either playing three centre halves in the five of a 5,3,2 or three centre halves with two wing backs, two defensive midfielder and two strikers with Judge just behind the strikers in a 3,5,2.

Now it is the first game of the season and a very good time to travel to Carlisle. The weather will be ok, not too windy with no storm force winds and horizontal rain or snow to contend with as we have seen in previous seasons.

Carlisle themselves under Chris Beech have done some transfer business and I would imagine would be content to finish mid table. We need to set out our stall at the weekend and look to secure the three points on an opening day smash and grab.

2-1 to the Super U’s would do nicely.

The weather currently looks like 17 degrees Celsius at Brunton Park and some sunshine but showery.

A long journey for the faithful and one of my shorter journeys just 55 miles.

Enjoy the trip and enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 6 Aug 2021 0:34]

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:30 - Aug 7 with 478 viewsnoah4x4

Only listened on I-Follow, but disappointed that Jasper and Tovide didn’t get longer. Same old story, and Bonne scores for Ipswich. We never gave him enough minutes.

I have never been impressed with Sears and suspect we will regret his return. When did he win a header? Inadequate attacking threat has been our past downfall. Grateful for a point, indeed a miracle given the opportunities that Carlisle had to take three points.

Is it too soon to demand Humes Out?
Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:31 - Aug 7 with 475 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 17:14 - Aug 7 by Moor_Pinot

Not too bad!
Mandron, Lapado and inevitably Bonne all scored. Glad Jasper had a few minutes, maybe Tuedayu night will be a chance to tinker a wee bit.

Jasper has all the tricks but more importantly pace.

I do not like 5 at the back it invites too much pressure.

Second half we could have won it.

Give Jasper a start against Brum.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's off to a flyer to outfox the Cumbrians at Brunton Park on 08:29 - Aug 8 with 366 viewsnoah4x4

Just watched the full replay on I-Follow (free). U's performance much better than the mere radio commentary. But still pretty toothless up front.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024