Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS 16:33 - Aug 13 with 2077 viewsdurham_exile

Jon Brady and his Cobblers are in Town on Saturday for our first home league game of the season. A creditable draw and an unlucky defeat at Birmingham means that we are looking for our first win tomorrow.

Northampton by contrast started with a maximum against Port Vale (everyone’s whipping boys, who played the second half with only 10 men). However, a win at Coventry in the Carabao Cup was rather more impressive and has earned them a second-round tie at home to Wimbledon.

So, the game will not be a formality. Northampton boast in their ranks Nicke Kabamba (former Col U loanee) but also have the dangerous Benny Ashley-Seal performing well for them!

But I reckon that we can win the game and by a handsome 3-0 margin.

Colchester should be at full strength with Luke Chambers returning after illness from the bench and hopefully Luke Hannant fit after COVID isolation.

Now putting aside the debate about 5,3,2 or 3,5,2 we are at home and so HM could play 4,4,2 to start the game. This would allow the best midfield quartet that we have had in years to play.

George

Coxe Eastman Smith Clampin

Hannant Wiredu Skuse Judge

Jasper Nouble

Subs:

Turner Welch-Hayes Chilvers Tchamadeu Chambers Tovide Sears

One thing is obvious the faithful are crying out for goals. I don’t know what it is about chances not being converted. Yes, it is fine margins, Coxe’s shot against the angle of cross bar and upright late on at St Andrews would have meant penalties and if Big Frank hadn’t missed his kick at Carlisle, we could have been looking at two victories instead of a solitary point and no cans of Carabao to enjoy!

A direct free kick is long overdue to hit the back of the opposition net and Sylvester Jasper deserves to find the net as does Alan Judge. 3-0 it is then.

Weather tomorrow in Colchester will be warm 23 degrees Celsius and partly sunny. The pitch will be immaculate, and a decent crowd is expected with a good number from Northampton. With Mansfield Tuesday night and then Boundary Park the matches are coming thick and fast.

Home advantage must be made to count, and chances translated into goals. HM has confirmed that further signings are on the horizon, but he is not rushing into anything and with the prospect of two more strikers we need to be patient and wait for the announcements.

At 17, young Bryan Ifeanyi is a prospect for the future and will be plying his trade with Wayne Brown at Maldon and Tiptree, but signings are in the offing.

Get behind the team, enjoy the game and cheer the U’s to victory.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 09:50 - Aug 14 with 1342 viewsdurham_exile

Trevor Kettle is the referee today.
The Mike Riley of the lower leagues.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 14:08 - Aug 14 with 1311 viewsdurham_exile

Starting XI

George
Coxe Eastman Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Skuse Judge
Nouble Jasper

Bench
Turner
Welch-Hayes
Hannant
Sears
Chilvers
Tchamadeu
Tovide

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:14 - Aug 14 with 1296 viewsgerry_us

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 14:08 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Starting XI

George
Coxe Eastman Chambers Smith Clampin
Wiredu Skuse Judge
Nouble Jasper

Bench
Turner
Welch-Hayes
Hannant
Sears
Chilvers
Tchamadeu
Tovide

Up the U's

Bet Sears didn't come back to find himself warming the subs bench!
If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:29 - Aug 14 with 1289 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:14 - Aug 14 by gerry_us

Bet Sears didn't come back to find himself warming the subs bench!

Sears is there because the Fulham youngster is a better bet.

Still we have conceded a scrappy goal.

My prediction looks to be off the mark.

Goals are once again our problem or rather lack of them.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:30 - Aug 14 with 1288 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:29 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Sears is there because the Fulham youngster is a better bet.

Still we have conceded a scrappy goal.

My prediction looks to be off the mark.

Goals are once again our problem or rather lack of them.

Up the U's

I want to see Hannant get some minutes today and also Samson Tovide.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:35 - Aug 14 with 1284 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:30 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

I want to see Hannant get some minutes today and also Samson Tovide.

Up the U's

It's been coming Durham. Rather one sided. Opposition much more united.
We have many new players to bed in. Could take time.
Toothless of course so far, pedestrian and very lg 2 but things can change yet. Early days.
Up our U's

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:44 - Aug 14 with 1282 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:35 - Aug 14 by Moor_Pinot

It's been coming Durham. Rather one sided. Opposition much more united.
We have many new players to bed in. Could take time.
Toothless of course so far, pedestrian and very lg 2 but things can change yet. Early days.
Up our U's

My argument about the 5 at the back is one that I will persist with.

We have a wealth of midfield players and better to play four of them in midfield maintain two up front and four at the back.

We not only have five at the back but two defensive midfield players result only three players with attacking intent.

The 5,3,2 is too pedestrian.

Hannant needs to play and give Tovide a run out.

Until we change to something like this it will be another disappointing season.

Up the U's
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 15:45]

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:54 - Aug 14 with 1270 viewsdurham_exile

HT 0-1

Come on the U's

Bring Hannant on go four at the back.

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:57 - Aug 14 with 1266 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:44 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

My argument about the 5 at the back is one that I will persist with.

We have a wealth of midfield players and better to play four of them in midfield maintain two up front and four at the back.

We not only have five at the back but two defensive midfield players result only three players with attacking intent.

The 5,3,2 is too pedestrian.

Hannant needs to play and give Tovide a run out.

Until we change to something like this it will be another disappointing season.

Up the U's
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 15:45]

After that 45mins hard to disagree Durham. Opposition look better prepared (a common U's failing in my opinion) at the moment and we've not really pushed at the door yet. One shot I think.
Tinkering needed and then in time I am sure we'll do a bit better than last year. Not a lot better perhaps, but better!
Good second half now!

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:02 - Aug 14 with 1261 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 15:57 - Aug 14 by Moor_Pinot

After that 45mins hard to disagree Durham. Opposition look better prepared (a common U's failing in my opinion) at the moment and we've not really pushed at the door yet. One shot I think.
Tinkering needed and then in time I am sure we'll do a bit better than last year. Not a lot better perhaps, but better!
Good second half now!

I only have the commentary no pictures.

That is another big moan from me. It is ridiculous to ban screening EFL games at 3pm when they can be broadcast live abroad.

From all accounts we could have been two down on the stroke of half time.

Come on the U's big 45 to come.

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:10 - Aug 14 with 1258 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:02 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

I only have the commentary no pictures.

That is another big moan from me. It is ridiculous to ban screening EFL games at 3pm when they can be broadcast live abroad.

From all accounts we could have been two down on the stroke of half time.

Come on the U's big 45 to come.

I'd much rather be in England and watching the game Durham!

As you say, a big effort needed second half and perhaps we can grab a point!

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:21 - Aug 14 with 1252 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:10 - Aug 14 by Moor_Pinot

I'd much rather be in England and watching the game Durham!

As you say, a big effort needed second half and perhaps we can grab a point!

Brendan Wiredu trying hard to equalise

Attendance 2,772

Disappointing numbers for first home match

Sears and Hannant on for Wiredu and Coxe

Attacking changes by HM
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 16:24]

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:28 - Aug 14 with 1240 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:21 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Attendance 2,772

Attacking changes by HM

Sears but saved

Come on

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:44 - Aug 14 with 1228 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:28 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Sears but saved

Come on

Last throw of the dice Chilvers on for Jasper

Come on

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:47 - Aug 14 with 1227 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:44 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Last throw of the dice Chilvers on for Jasper

Come on

Northampton down to 10 men

Come on

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:51 - Aug 14 with 1223 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:47 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Northampton down to 10 men

Come on

Come on

Extra time 4 mins
Up the U"s
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 16:53]

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 17:03 - Aug 14 with 1200 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:51 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Come on

Extra time 4 mins
Up the U"s
[Post edited 14 Aug 2021 16:53]

Deserved a point

Bad miss from Sears

Still noone to out the ball in the back of the net.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 17:06 - Aug 14 with 1198 viewsburnsieespana

Why oh why have we not signed a goal scorer because at this rate another season of toil ahead.
Three games and no goals speaks for itself.
If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 17:13 - Aug 14 with 1189 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 17:06 - Aug 14 by burnsieespana

Why oh why have we not signed a goal scorer because at this rate another season of toil ahead.
Three games and no goals speaks for itself.

Burnsie
They won't spend any money.
There were proven goal scorers but we will not spend.

We are expecting a 19 year old to do it.

I only heard the commentary but Sears missed a one on one with the keeper.

Big Frank was quiet.

The only way is to spend money but it is probably too late now.

At this level chances must be taken.
Result Northampton pick up three points and we make them look good.

Hannant at least got some minutes and he will get better but I do not like the 5 at the back. It is too defensive.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 17:53 - Aug 14 with 1161 viewsAddy

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 16:21 - Aug 14 by durham_exile

Attendance 2,772

Attacking changes by HM

446 of those 2772 were Northampton fans so our attendance was shocking but I fear much worse is coming unless we improve fast.
If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 18:22 - Aug 14 with 1143 viewsthrillseeker

Durham - you stated we deserved a point. Not sure we did as only came into the game in the final 10-15 minutes.

We looked so disjointed - it was really frustrating especially after our performance Tuesday.

George - 6/10 OK
Coxe - 5/10 people like him because he runs around but to me, he is like a headless chicken, runs and runs with no end product
Eastman - 6/10 dependable as always and knows his limitations
Smith - 5/10 scares me and no where near the performance level of last 10 games last season
Chambers - 5/10 scares me even more than Smith. He was not missed on Tuesday but clearly, Mullins has his favourites.
Clampin - a 6/10 nothing good, nothing bad
Skuse - 6/10 - brilliant Tuesday but I fear he cannot cope with the Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday schedule
Wiredu - 6/10 - very surprised be was taken off
Judge - 6/10 - I was expecting more. After the hype all I saw was someone happy to pump the ball forward.
Jasper - 7/10 not sure he is strong enough yet but I thought he was our MOTM today
Nouble - 5/10 - looks so short of confidence but did improve as game progressed

Sears - 5/10 - how did he miss?
Chilvers - no mark due to lack of time on pitch
Hannant - 6/10 - looked good.

Once again I fear our lack of a 12-18 a season goalscorer is going to be an issue.

On a positive it was good to see Daniel today
If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 18:52 - Aug 14 with 1120 viewsMoor_Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 18:22 - Aug 14 by thrillseeker

Durham - you stated we deserved a point. Not sure we did as only came into the game in the final 10-15 minutes.

We looked so disjointed - it was really frustrating especially after our performance Tuesday.

George - 6/10 OK
Coxe - 5/10 people like him because he runs around but to me, he is like a headless chicken, runs and runs with no end product
Smith - 5/10 scares me and no where near the performance level of last 10 games last season
Chambers - 5/10 scares me even more than Smith. He was not missed on Tuesday but clearly, Mullins has his favourites.
Skuse - 6/10 - brilliant Tuesday but I fear he cannot cope with the Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday schedule
Judge - 6/10 - I was expecting more. After the hype all I saw was someone happy to pump the ball forward.
Jasper - 7/10 not sure he is strong enough yet but I thought he was our MOTM today

Once again I fear our lack of a 12-18 a season goalscorer is going to be an issue.

Yep, disjointed and not by any means 'united' so can't disagree Thrillo, nor with your individual player scoring.
Thought you were kind, we only threatened for about ten minutes. Concerned about Tuesday, Clough will be a managerial mis match for Mullins who still seems to be working out what his team is. He won't be much the wiser after today.
Early days of course but it's hard to be too hopeful just yet. We were actually pretty poor today if I'm brutally honest but I guess there's lots for management to bed in and the time for it still.

Moor Pinot

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 19:12 - Aug 14 with 1111 viewsdurham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 18:22 - Aug 14 by thrillseeker

George - 6/10 OK

TS commentary only is a big hindrance.
But I heard enough second half to suggest a point was deserved

Once again a set play undid us and then Sears fluffed his lines.

I like Jasper but we are expecting a 19 year old to do what experienced players cannot manage.

We are definitely a striker light but I can't see where he is coming from.

Last week at Carlisle I thought Smith and Chambers played very well.

I will wait for the highlights to reserve judgement.

The season has only just started and already it is doom and gloom.

We are better than that. At least Hannant will bring more attacking intent but we need a striker!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 19:34 - Aug 14 with 1100 viewsbwildered

Too off the pace first half, undone by set piece George either come to claim or directly at him. Upped game second, Judge delivery in to vital areas to fast for guys to get end of. Nouble had job holding any possession upfront.
However , Wiredu , Jasper and Sears had good chances to level .
Should have claimed a point against side played a percentage game to good effect .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

If the shoe fits - Super U's to leather the Cobblers at JSCS on 11:12 - Aug 15 with 946 viewsLeadbelly

I was elsewhere yesterday and am just wondering what access to the ground and arrangements were like? Have read elsewhere that there were long queues to get in which seems bizarre with a relatively low attendance.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024