Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's 21:39 - Aug 16 with 1951 viewsdurham_exile

Tomorrow evening HM and his charges entertain Mansfield Town, another club who have started with two victories and who Nigel Clough says will be coming to go on the front foot.

Now frankly if anyone doubts the level of disappointment of yet another home defeat, just watch the Twitter feed of the Northampton players receiving the adulation from their fans on Saturday. I for one am sick and tired of the same old views of yet another Away side taking all three points from the JSCS.

A decent point at Carlisle, unlucky not to go to penalties at St Andrews and then a pathetic first half showing from the U’s during which the damage was done with a scrappy goal and then despite the lion’s share of the possession and shots in the second half we missed three presentable opportunities. As Geoff Boycott might have said “my old Granny would have scored the Freddie Sears one on one with the keeper”.

And that in a nutshell is our problem. Once again, we do not have a centre forward. This is becoming a perennial problem and until we secure someone who can score the half chances and very presentable chances that are going begging we will struggle.

It's not all doom and gloom but the pre-season positivity and confidence has taken a real battering and with the third league game of the season tomorrow, another defeat could see us 8 points off the top.

I stated before the season started just how much I dislike the 5,3,2 or 3,5,2 however you dress it up. It only leaves us with two defensive midfield players and a surfeit of defenders. The strikers are isolated and reliant on simply feeding on scraps.

When that great manager the late Jock Wallace was at our club, he played 5 at the back. I wrote to him complaining about the policy and he was gracious enough to pen a reply to me. His defence was that he still had 5 players to attack the opposition with even with the 5 defenders. A different era but it proves there is nothing new under the sun.

Look I don’t want to get all melancholy, but I am heartily sick of watching another poor result however good the performance is in parts. This is our sixth season in League Two and we should have the measure by now of what is needed to get out of this basement league. Frankly I don’t care about the quality of the play it is all about getting 75 points however they are obtained to get us into the play offs as a minimum although 80 would be better!

We were unlucky with Michael Folivi’ s injury and hopefully he will be able to sign when his achilles injury is sorted.

I think we have some good defenders and outstanding mid field players, but we need four across the middle of the park to give us some steel and to match the opposition who all look to control the middle of the park.

I am not criticising HM who I think is a good coach (despite what everything EFL League Two says).

But lets try 4,4,2 as follows:

George

Coxe Chambers Smith Clampin

Hannant Wiredu Skuse Judge

Jasper Nouble

Subs:

Turner Welch-Hayes Chilvers Tchamadeu Eastman Tovide Sears

Luke Hannant chose Colchester over Cambridge even though it meant dropping down a league. He will be a star this season. My only concern about Judge and Skuse is their fitness levels to play Saturday, Tuesday, and Saturday without injury.

We know the club is looking to make other signings. We know that we need a striker, but not another 19-year-old U23 Championship player but someone who is a traditional centre forward. A target man and someone who knows where the goal is. Problem is I don’t know at this late stage where such a player is coming from, two of the best went to Wrexham and Stockport. Yes the National League.

Jasper looks lively and I am pleased that HM has shown faith in him because he can be very good. Big Frank seems, all at sea at present. He needs a goal; the team needs a goal.

Richard Kone looks to have gone sadly but where, not Brentford and surely, he would want first team football rather than the U23 league. Have we given up on tempting him I do hope not?

I make no apology for this pre match write up. You cannot win the league in August, but you can definitely get yourself into a position where you are constantly playing catch up and therefore the pressure is on tomorrow.

Weather tomorrow evening a mild 17 degrees Celsius with cloud cover. Little chance of rain.

On the front foot from the start tomorrow evening and take the game to the Stags. We can win the game and I predict 2-0 to the U’s with Jasper scoring his first goal and a cracker from Hannant from 25 yards.

At least we can watch the game if we are exiles or abroad and hopefully the attendance will not be much below 1800.

I do hope that the club reviews its Match Permits policy which is out of step with the majority of clubs and is not helping the attendance.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 06:49 - Aug 17 with 1409 viewsnoah4x4

Super stuff Durham.

The attendance level on Saturday is worrying, but when all you have to do to get a refund of a (season or a block of) match day passes is declare one's self covid unfit (even if not) then was it surprising? How many instead chose to watch the Essex Cricket QF or attend some other competing event/activity (like rare Summer sunshine)?

After 18 months away from the Stadium, many people have inevitably found other things to do. Frankly, I am feeling apathetic and nearly didn't take up the offer of a ticket for tonight as I know I might miss the kick off due to another earlier commitment and fear further disappointment that we appear incapable of scoring a goal. I don't want to feel like I did for much if last season, following a team of losers and stubborn management that doesn't listen to fans.

The inference of continuing restrictions is that Cowling is suggesting the stadium isn't yet safe and that must deter some.. Public transport to the stadium is haphazard too. I know I can watch the whole of the game for free tomorrow on I-Follow. The bubble requirement is killing the atmosphere. Cowling is always playing politics or God. Whilst I respect the financial support he has poured in, I fear he might eventually kill our club as fans are deserting in droves. Not convinced recruiting so many Ipswich discards has helped. The jury is definitely out on Sears. I never rated him when he was here before.

I will be there tonight. but apathy is definitely starting to take root.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 6:54]
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 09:14 - Aug 17 with 1375 viewsAddy

Well said Durham and Noah, I too think Robbie has lost the plot, so many fans of very long standing are walking away and not coming back any time soon. We are heading into a similar situation to the Jonathan Crisp era and we all know what happened then. What a shame that the big return to live football has been ruined by one mans ego, the players must feel deflated walking out to thousands of empty seats and little atmosphere.
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 13:09 - Aug 17 with 1320 viewsbwildered

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the JSCS on Saturday. The minutes clapping before the start of kick off was probably the loudest given the size of the crowd especially has most did not realise that it was about to happen, has the tannoy system in the South Stand was non existent.
There is nothing wrong with the bubble requirement except moving the bubble to different locations within the stand which unnerves potential returnees.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 13:13]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 1304 viewsburnsieespana

I have to say I don't disagree with RC's stance as Covid is still about in a big way (nearly 30,000 new cases in UK yesterday), fully vaccinated people are catching and dieing from it.
I suspect to many are being very relaxed about things now that 60% of the population has been fully vaccinated but as the Government is already talking about a booster jab in the Autumn it shows a considerable risk remains.
We need to continue to take a great deal of care in how we go about our daily business and sporting events along with bars are the places where contagion is most likely to occur.
Having supported Colchester through the Crisp era I don't see any parallels. Crisp had no money, sacked a good Manager, didn't invest in the team......need I go on whereas RC has so far made the right business decisions regarding Covid with the best interests of the club in mind, we as fans might not agree with them all but, as it is his money being spent, why should he be dictated to by people who are not putting everything they have worked for at risk?
Anyway I hope you have a good game tonight and see 3 points gathered.
As always an interesting perspective durham but I feel Chilvers is unfortunate not to be in the team and hope he doesn't end up leaving us because of being an eternal sub!
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 14:02]
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 16:38 - Aug 17 with 1266 viewsAddy

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 13:59 - Aug 17 by burnsieespana

I have to say I don't disagree with RC's stance as Covid is still about in a big way (nearly 30,000 new cases in UK yesterday), fully vaccinated people are catching and dieing from it.
I suspect to many are being very relaxed about things now that 60% of the population has been fully vaccinated but as the Government is already talking about a booster jab in the Autumn it shows a considerable risk remains.
We need to continue to take a great deal of care in how we go about our daily business and sporting events along with bars are the places where contagion is most likely to occur.
Having supported Colchester through the Crisp era I don't see any parallels. Crisp had no money, sacked a good Manager, didn't invest in the team......need I go on whereas RC has so far made the right business decisions regarding Covid with the best interests of the club in mind, we as fans might not agree with them all but, as it is his money being spent, why should he be dictated to by people who are not putting everything they have worked for at risk?
Anyway I hope you have a good game tonight and see 3 points gathered.
As always an interesting perspective durham but I feel Chilvers is unfortunate not to be in the team and hope he doesn't end up leaving us because of being an eternal sub!
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 14:02]

I too supported Colchester during the Crisp era, in fact I still have my membership card!
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:08 - Aug 17 with 1219 viewsgerry_us

What the hell is 5-3-1-2 ?
When can we go back to 2-3-5??
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 19:08]
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:52 - Aug 17 with 1198 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:08 - Aug 17 by gerry_us

What the hell is 5-3-1-2 ?
When can we go back to 2-3-5??
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 19:08]

Are we playing 4,4,2

George
Welch-Hayes Chambers Eastman Clampin
Hannant Skuse Judge Chilvers
Nouble Sears

Subs
Turner Wiredu Jasper Daniels Coxe Tovide
Beadle

Charlie Daniels has signed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:57 - Aug 17 with 1195 viewsgerry_us

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:52 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Are we playing 4,4,2

George
Welch-Hayes Chambers Eastman Clampin
Hannant Skuse Judge Chilvers
Nouble Sears

Subs
Turner Wiredu Jasper Daniels Coxe Tovide
Beadle

Charlie Daniels has signed.

Up the U's

Not if BBC Sport is concerned.
Oh 4-3-1-2. Probably could do with the extra man though.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 20:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:23 - Aug 17 with 1162 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 19:57 - Aug 17 by gerry_us

Not if BBC Sport is concerned.
Oh 4-3-1-2. Probably could do with the extra man though.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 20:00]

Club captain Smith and now Eastman injured.

Mansfield are far superior to Northampton but we are holding them.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:37 - Aug 17 with 1140 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:23 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Club captain Smith and now Eastman injured.

Mansfield are far superior to Northampton but we are holding them.

Up the U's

After a poor 20 minutes we have grown into the game and in fairness playing four at the back is better.

Hannant playing well and unlucky not to score.

I feel optimistic for the second half.

Want to see Jasper for the last 35 minutes and Tovide for a cameo.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:44 - Aug 17 with 1131 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:37 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

After a poor 20 minutes we have grown into the game and in fairness playing four at the back is better.

Hannant playing well and unlucky not to score.

I feel optimistic for the second half.

Want to see Jasper for the last 35 minutes and Tovide for a cameo.

Up the U's

Attendance 2354 which is better than I anticipated

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:07 - Aug 17 with 1111 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 20:44 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Attendance 2354 which is better than I anticipated

Up the U's

We can nick this I feel confident.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:14 - Aug 17 with 1102 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:07 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

We can nick this I feel confident.

Up the U's

Big Frank seems really low on confidence

Perhaps bring Jasper on for Big Frank

20 mins to play come on the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:18 - Aug 17 with 1091 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:14 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Big Frank seems really low on confidence

Perhaps bring Jasper on for Big Frank

20 mins to play come on the U's

Plenty to do again 0-1

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:25 - Aug 17 with 1075 viewsburnsieespana

Don't sadly see us coming back from one down.
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:28 - Aug 17 with 1071 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:18 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

Plenty to do again 0-1

I really don't know what to say.

Notwithstanding the fact that Mansfield have been a well organised team we have done enough to again get something from the match.

But our strikers are playing so far apart and Feeding off scraps.

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:35 - Aug 17 with 1053 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:28 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

I really don't know what to say.

Notwithstanding the fact that Mansfield have been a well organised team we have done enough to again get something from the match.

But our strikers are playing so far apart and Feeding off scraps.

5 mins come on

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:39 - Aug 17 with 1048 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:35 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

5 mins come on

1-1

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:41 - Aug 17 with 1043 viewsgerry_us

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:39 - Aug 17 by durham_exile

1-1

Better late than never!
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:43 - Aug 17 with 1033 viewsdurham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:41 - Aug 17 by gerry_us

Better late than never!

Our season has just started

Delighted with the point.

Bring on Oldham

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:43 - Aug 17 with 1033 viewsburnsieespana

Sears up and running now just need to hold on
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:45 - Aug 17 with 1025 viewsburnsieespana

And we have.
Good point which hopefully will kick-start our season!
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 22:00 - Aug 17 with 1001 viewswessex_exile

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 21:43 - Aug 17 by burnsieespana

Sears up and running now just need to hold on

For the doubters, Freddie is now our leading goalscorer

Tough game, against good opposition, but on balance we deserved the point.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 22:47 - Aug 17 with 958 viewsnoah4x4

Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 22:00 - Aug 17 by wessex_exile

For the doubters, Freddie is now our leading goalscorer

Tough game, against good opposition, but on balance we deserved the point.

The combination of Sears and Nouble was ineffective and the Sears penalty was almost saved. It was never a penalty, but grateful!

We looked a different side when Jasper came on. Why didn’t he start? Utterly toothless until then. Mansfield deserved to win. We were lucky.
Stags in a rut against resurgent, "reformed," reinvigorated Super U's on 23:02 - Aug 17 with 947 viewsbwildered

Given the run around, far more intelligent with the use of the ball . No cutting edge, same traits has last Saturday in getting into the game. Very fortunate to get a awarded penalty .
Need to sharpen up in all departments, to make any progress from last season.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024