Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics 23:50 - Aug 21 with 1310 viewsdurham_exile

Colchester carried on where they had left off from the 95th minute on Tuesday night with a thoroughly deserved victory at Oldham.

On a pristine surface with periods of sunshine and showers the U’s recorded their first win of the season. The scenes at the end of the match showed the emotion present by all the players and backroom staff.

The day started with sunshine and showers at home. My youngest son had agreed to go with me to the match and is also going next Friday to Rochdale. I decided on the A66, M6, M61 and M60 route. The M6 in Lancashire was slow going in two sections both involving roadworks and a reduction to two lanes. But once past Preston the road and traffic were much better, and we arrived near the ground for about 2:15pm. I say near to the ground because the Oldham site recommends that Away supporters no longer park at Boundary Park instead using the nearby Elk Mill Retail Park which allows free parking and no restrictions on match days.

The walk to the ground is about 10 minutes. Once inside Away fans are now directed to the Chaddy End Upper stand which actually affords a very good view. I incorrectly suggested the faithful numbered about 130 but failed to consider the number still waiting to take their seats and the total was amended to 187 within a crowd of 3,496.

The pitch was in pristine condition and no additional water was required because there had been a shower prior to kick off but the sun was shining, and the temperature was 18 degrees Celsius.

Now at Carlisle I had been mildly critical of an element of the faithful who seemed preoccupied with verbally attacking some of the home support. This week however the support was unstinting and loud and proud throughout. In fact, apart from one element of noisy home support behind the opposite goal (they had a drum) for long periods the home support was “libraryesque” such was the domination of the Super U’s.

Tom Eastman was injured and so was Ryan Clampin. I suspect that Cole Skuse is being rested from the demands of three games per week. I prefer a back four anyway so no complaint from me about the formation.

HM had lined up:

George

Welch-Hayes Chambers Smith Daniels

Wiredu Judge

Sears Chilvers Jasper

Nouble

Subs

Hannant
Kennedy
Tchamadeu
Turner
Coxe
Tovide
Beadle

There is no doubt that my lucky Green Away shirt is working this season. It produced a point at Carlisle and all three today!!!!!

What was particularly good was that the U’s started on the front foot and played attacking football from the outset.

Now I am often critical of referees (no really) but Sam Barratt rightly should be applauded for his handling of the game. He was not overly fussy with the decisions; he played some brilliant advantages and controlled the game calmly and proficiently.

Now whatever your view of the foul on Tuesday on Big Frank, there is no doubt in my mind that there was clumsy contact on Brendan Wiredu today by Keillor-Dunn after 9 minutes. There was no hesitation from the referee and Freddie Sears stepped up and despatched the penalty to the Keeper’s right into the bottom corner . The Oldham protest continued after the penalty had been taken but there was contact and having seen it again this evening, I am convinced it was a penalty.

Oldham were in disarray and when the outstanding Sylvester Jasper was clearly fouled the referee played a great advantage which allowed Noah Chilvers to run on goal before placing a delightful right footed diagonal shot into the bottom corner for a deserved two nil lead on 12 minutes.

Oldham had the stuffing knocked out of them and there seemed to be further goals for the U’s if they wanted them. Shamal George has become a firm favourite with the faithful, he has his own song, and he looks to be well on the way to be Colchester’s Number 1.

He made a smart one handed save on 10 minutes following a weak defensive header by Chambers and his handling and dead ball kicks (save one) were all well placed and positive.

During the first 30 minutes Colchester attacked with pace and accuracy. Both wings were employed, and Charlie Daniels and Miles Welch-Hayes got forward on numerous occasions.

Brendan Wiredu has matured as a defensive midfielder and looks strong and decisive. Alan Judge put in a shift today and there were some lovely triangles between MWH, Wiredu and Sears and on the other wing, Daniels, Jasper and Chilvers.

Now I don’t doubt Big Franks work ethic because he always gives 100% but too often, he was unable to control, the ball having won it or failed to pick out a teammate. I would like to see Sears and Big Frank play closer together up front.

Sylvester Jasper (another with his own song) shows great skill, pace, and trickery. His footwork is magical at times, and he makes lots of diagonal runs across the pitch. Today he operated mainly on the left wing and then cutting in or linking up with Daniels.

The only time I was critical of Daniels was when he took a free kick in a very promising position which was ideal for a left footer only to see his effort go high wide and not very handsome.

Half time was enjoyed comfortably. The tea was quite acceptable, and the meat pie was ok with a decent filling and pastry which was not hard and crunchy like some offerings. Of course, next week we are in for a treat. Rochdale supply the best pies bar none.

No changes for the U’s at half time but Keith Curle made two changes (in truth he could have changed almost anyone except the excellent Dylan Bahamboula) .

The changes made no real impact and Colchester dominated as before. Now last season we would often drop deeper and allow the opposition to come onto us. This was perhaps done in slow motion this week. Colchester seemed to still create chances and because the team were attacking the end where the faithful had gathered, we could see the moves developing. Sears, Nouble and Jasper operating across the width of the pitch and supported by the full backs and Alan Judge, but the creation was reduced.

Result Oldham grew in confidence especially after they lost Ousa Cisse to injury after 54 minutes and had to change their formation again. On 74 minutes and from a position of total control we allowed Oldham back into the game. Their best player Bahamboula received the ball in the penalty area and struck a fierce shot past George and into the net for 2-1 on 74 minutes.

However, the U’s did not wilt, and HM decided on some changes. Luke Hannant replaced Freddie Sears on 76 minutes (he had been trying to get him on for over 5 minutes, but the ball did not go out of play during this time).

Gene Kennedy (who I have not seen play before) came on after 80 minutes for Noah Chilvers and finally Cameron Coxe replaced Sylvester Jasper on 82 minutes.

These substitutions stiffened up the team and it was refreshing not to see the ball lumped into the corner but rather we continued to play and look for a third goal. Coxe was unlucky with a header which was going wide, but their keeper clawed it away.

The referee added on 5 minutes, and this was extended by a further two as a result of an injury, but the U’s saw it out to deservedly take the points back to North Essex.

Immediately after the final whistle there was a bizarre pitch invasion by about 200 Oldham supporters. They seemed to be making a beeline for the home dugout and there were some minor protests, but I was more concerned that a number surrounded Shamal George as he neared the half way line. It took the gloss off the U’s victory somewhat.

The five Police officers who had been watching the Colchester supporters stood stoically in the penalty area and made no attempt to intervene despite the fact that there are signs which state “Going onto the Pitch is a Criminal Offence”. Equally when they decide to go back to their end of the stadium no stewards attempted to stop anyone. I am sure had any of the faithful made it onto the pitch they would have been summarily dealt with.

It was however good to see all the back-room staff on the pitch at the end with HM and the players.

I would suggest that Brendan Wiredu and Sylvester Jasper both deserve POTM awards but the whole team played well, and the three points were deservedly earned.

Gene Kennedy, although only a cameo role today, looked accomplished and he should receive more match minutes.

After the match I went into the Latics Club Shop to buy a programme. There were many items of merchandise reduced including shirts, bags, scarves, rucksacks, and shirt printing. We walked back to the car, stayed for a meal in the Retail Park and then drove home this time via the M60, M62 and A1(M) without incident.

We still need a Centre Forward, but I reckon that will complete the squad and now we have 5 points our season is off and running. Rochdale are next on Friday 27th August.

A successful day out in Oldham and next Friday we will only be five miles apart in Rochdale.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 09:25 - Aug 22 with 1258 viewsburnsieespana

Great report thanks Durham.
As I had no idea who Gene Kennedy was I checked on the U's official page and was a bit shocked to see he was listed as being born in 1901! We really are signing great grandad's now
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 11:48 - Aug 22 with 1231 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 09:25 - Aug 22 by burnsieespana

Great report thanks Durham.
As I had no idea who Gene Kennedy was I checked on the U's official page and was a bit shocked to see he was listed as being born in 1901! We really are signing great grandad's now

Burnsie all I can say is that he is wearing well for somone who is apparently 120........

Plays midfield, managed to get about 9 minutes, and looked very good.

Actually born 18 April 2003. Product of the Academy.

Debut was at Birmingham but first time I saw him play was yesterday.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 16:08 - Aug 22 with 1204 viewswessex_exile

Great write-up as usual Durham, many thanks!

I think I read somewhere (OMB?) that Skuse took a knock in training midweek. Having watched the highlights, the penalty decision was absolutely spot on. I'd have been furious if it had been us conceding it, not because it looked dodgy, but it was such a needless unnecessary foul. I don't doubt Wiredu was looking for the contact, but Keillor-Dunn shouldn't have been so stupid as to provide it.

Still, who's complaining

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 21:28 - Aug 22 with 1167 viewsWitham

Spot on summary Durham. Mrs Witham stayed at the Premier Inn just five minutes walk from the ground. We have now done Carlisle and Oldham and will be at Rochdale on Friday night.
Oldham from previous experience is a real dump but we found their fine victoriana Alendra Park before we took a leisurely drive home today.
Staying two nights in Rochdale - hope to get out on the hills on Saturday.
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 23:43 - Aug 22 with 1147 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 21:28 - Aug 22 by Witham

Spot on summary Durham. Mrs Witham stayed at the Premier Inn just five minutes walk from the ground. We have now done Carlisle and Oldham and will be at Rochdale on Friday night.
Oldham from previous experience is a real dump but we found their fine victoriana Alendra Park before we took a leisurely drive home today.
Staying two nights in Rochdale - hope to get out on the hills on Saturday.

Witham - I will be at Rochdale again with my youngest son.

I am delighted that you have been able to get to the games and also to take in the local sights.

Perhaps we might see you at Spotland on Friday night.

Failing that I will be at Barrow on Friday 10 September (a new ground for me).

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 17:35 - Aug 23 with 1090 viewsnoah4x4

Rochdale (surprisingly) is a new ground for me so I am travelling Friday. Cricket Saturday, so the change of date is a bonus for me. Might fall asleep after tea…….
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 19:16 - Aug 23 with 1072 viewsWitham

We are struggling to find a decent hotel for the Barrow game - the nearest to the ground only offers a breakfast box and the town centre one has a clock opposite which sounds every fifteen minutes. Not helped by the fact we are then off to Darlington on the Monday.
Being at the bottom of the lakes prices are mad or accommodation in Barrow aimed at contractors.
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 19:20 - Aug 23 with 1071 viewswessex_exile

The FA are going to investigate the pitch invasion on Saturday. They might want to investigate the Oldham performance while they're at it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58304178

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 20:22 - Aug 23 with 1061 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 19:16 - Aug 23 by Witham

We are struggling to find a decent hotel for the Barrow game - the nearest to the ground only offers a breakfast box and the town centre one has a clock opposite which sounds every fifteen minutes. Not helped by the fact we are then off to Darlington on the Monday.
Being at the bottom of the lakes prices are mad or accommodation in Barrow aimed at contractors.

My first trip to Barrow as well.

I can only imagine accommodation is expensive because of the contractors working on the new Nuclear submarines.

It may be better to stay at Kendal or Newby Bridge.

Good luck with the hotel search.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 20:53 - Aug 23 with 1054 viewsLeadbelly

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 20:22 - Aug 23 by durham_exile

My first trip to Barrow as well.

I can only imagine accommodation is expensive because of the contractors working on the new Nuclear submarines.

It may be better to stay at Kendal or Newby Bridge.

Good luck with the hotel search.

Up the U's

Never stayed in a quiet hotel in a central location so I always take some ear plugs. Sorted.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 19:32 - Aug 26 with 929 viewsWitham

See you at Rochdale tomorrow night. It's a big night for them with music and entertainment.
I am the old boy wearing number 79 =assuming it's warm enough to take my coat off. Mrs Witham will be joining in the cries of Essex, Essex
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 21:03 - Aug 26 with 905 viewsnoah4x4

I am on the CUSA bus to Rochdale. The change to Friday has done me a favour as I now don’t miss out due to cricket.

It is the last First XI league home game of the season at Castle Park on Saturday if folk want something sporty to watch (especially if the Test Match has concluded). Cheap bar, good cricket (Jamie Porter played for Chingford CC last week), then on Monday Colchester feature in the U19s T20 finals at Billericay CC from 10:00. Both will be live streamed on the Colchester Play Cricket website.
Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 22:25 - Aug 26 with 895 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's prevail at Boundary Park in deserved victory over Latics on 19:32 - Aug 26 by Witham

See you at Rochdale tomorrow night. It's a big night for them with music and entertainment.
I am the old boy wearing number 79 =assuming it's warm enough to take my coat off. Mrs Witham will be joining in the cries of Essex, Essex

Safe journey to you both.

I will look out for you at the stadium.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024