Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's 00:25 - Aug 29 with 687 viewsdurham_exile

Another useful point for the U’s on Friday night at Rochdale, but it could have been all three. Well, the night ended on a happy note with the faithful returning content with the result, but this fails to tell the real story that of the transport difficulties getting to the Stadium.

My son and I set off at 3.30pm (much earlier than necessary) but the intention was to have a meal in Rochdale ahead of the game. However, the traffic bulletin and overhead gantry signs on the A1(M) were warning that there was a 90-minute delay on the M62 between J27 and J24 heading West following a fire on the carriageway and that the tail back was 14 miles.

We turned off at J47 on the A1(M) and went via the A658 and A61 and around the Leeds Ring Road the only problem was there was the Cricket at Headingley and the Leeds Festival starting which all contributed to the traffic disruption.

Once on the M62 we managed to get onto the hard shoulder a fourth and in places fifth lane but still the traffic was snail like. Eventually it thinned sufficiently to get onto the outside lane, and we made better progress to the Huddersfield Junctions and onwards to the J20 turn off for Rochdale (a journey normally 1hr 45 mins had taken more than 3hrs 40 mins) and we arrived outside the ground at about 7.10pm. Parking is horrendous with side streets offering the only spaces and we managed to park about 1/4mile from the ground. We passed the Roman Coach Supporters Bus and I spoke to the driver who had managed a detour over the moors to avoid the worst of the disruption.

Arriving inside the stadium the Away supporters sit in the Reside Stand slightly to the right of the half way line and towards the Zen Sandy Lane Stand. The view was good and the faithful were in good voice.

I managed to get one of the special programmes to commemorate the 100th year of Rochdale’s membership of the Football League. In 1921 Rochdale played Accrington and won 6-3. Other teams in the Division Three North were Ashington, Grimsby Town, Barrow, Stockport County, Darlington, Halifax Town, Lincoln, Walsall, Nelson, Wigan, Southport, Durham, Stalybridge, Chesterfield Tranmere, Crewe, Wrexham, and Hartlepool.

In other news I watched Stockport defeat Southend on TV this evening 1-0 and thoroughly enjoyable it was too!

Another warm and bright day meant that the pitch was receiving copious amounts of water from the sprinklers before kick-off. Now it was a bizarre start to the game with Colchester appearing on the pitch a full five minutes before Rochdale and this meant we had to leave the field to return with the home side.

This time Referee Rebecca Welch led the teams out.

HM had made only one change Cole Skuse replaced Alan Judge who didn’t even make the subs bench. It was good to see Tom Eastman back in the matchday squad though.

So, the team was:

George

Welch-Hayes Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Wiredu

Sears Chilvers Jasper

Nouble

Subs

Turner Eastman Tovide Thomas Kennedy Coxe Hannant

The attendance was 3,054 including 182 of the faithful. I saw Noah from a distance but did not see Mr and Mrs Witham but hope they enjoyed the match.

Just before kick off the Rochdale keeper Lynch was injured, and Coleman replaced him. More of him later. Now it was an entertaining game and Rochdale did at least want to get the ball down and play. They had an early foray into U’s territory, but George dealt with the effort. Colchester grew into the game and much of the inspiration came from Sylvester Jasper. Noah suggests playing him further forward and I entirely agree. He is a brilliant footballer and frankly is wasted in midfield and playing left back which, he often has to fill in when tracking back. Play him as an out and out left winger and let his creative ability come to the fore.

Twice in the first half he was unlucky with shots just wide of the upright, the second a delightful curling effort just wide. Daniels tried his luck with a screamer which was too high.

The real fun started on 40 minutes when Rochdale had a throw in about 35 yards from their own goal. The ball was thrown to Max Taylor who tried a back pass which saw the hapless Coleman stranded at the near post while the ball was expertly delivered to the far post and in for a spectacular own goal. It was reminiscent of a former Northampton Town player Stuart Robertson who I saw score two own goals in successive matches many years ago.

The faithful were ecstatic and sang all the louder. Rochdale were on the rack and a second goal then would have killed the game. Still 1-0 at half time and we were fourth in the table at this point.

Now I have been extolling the virtues of the Rochdale pies based on my last visit in 2010. However, I was embarrassed by the fare this time. My son and I both had a pie (one steak and one meat and potato) plus a tea and a coke. Frankly the pies were shocking. Tough pastry, a dry filling and totally underwhelming. The clubs partnership with the Lancashire Hospitality Cooperation is a disaster. They were almost as bad as the Fleetwood offering which was truly awful.

So, second half, no subs and we all hoped for more of the same. Now I have to say that the singing, chanting and general humour from the faithful was infectious and we had about a 20-minute rendition of blue and white army which was brilliant.

Big Frank fired into the side netting when he should have scored but that is his problem at present. Low on confidence and simply can’t buy a goal.

George saved well from O’Keefe and then on 60 minutes from a Newby cross Keohane equalised from close range. HM made the first change on 68 minutes with the outstanding Jasper replaced by Hannant.

Shortly afterwards a controversial moment. O’Keefe was challenged by Hannant and went down in the box. It was a definite dive from the Rochdale player and quite rightly the referee did nothing, but he should have been booked for a dive. The faithful were incandescent with rage. He looked sheepish and tried to hide with the sounds of cheat ringing in his ears.

With time running out HM made two more changes. Kennedy came on for Skuse on 89 minutes and Coxe replaced Chilvers on 90 minutes.

With time added on being played we should have won the game. The ball fell to Kennedy inside the penalty area and his shot was blocked by Coleman who atoned for his earlier howler.

And that was it. 1-1 and another valuable point. A brief word about Ms Welch. She was very much a homer though. Three Colchester bookings to nil for Rochdale. But she did get the “penalty” appeal right.

So, who did well? Shamal George who is the faithful’s favourite was assured and Miles Welch-Hayes played well. Chambers and Smith had no real scares and Charlie Daniels had a decent game. He must get his shooting boots on though.

Cole Skuse belies his age racing around like a gazelle. I especially like his calm assuredness on the ball. Brendan Wiredu is the enforcer simple as and Noah Chilvers looked good again.

Sylvester Jasper is brilliant a real live wire and a tricky pacy footballer. He is wasted in midfield and should not be asked to track back to the lefty back position he must play more advanced.

Now the problems, Sears, and Big Frank. Freddie Sears is a favourite of the faithful but when is he going to score from open play. Big Frank despite his hustle and bustle doesn’t look like scoring and he should have converted the near post effort which ended in the side netting.

Samson Tovide is on the bench why not let him loose. When Michael Folivi is fit, he should be offered a contract (if that is possible) but, in the meantime, we are creating chances but not converting them.

Richard Kone has been poorly advised by his agent simple as.

A striker is needed and quickly.

The journey home was uneventful and the M62 was clear so happy days!

Sutton United are up next and then Barrow. Six points surely to keep the run going.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 09:45 - Aug 29 with 653 viewsburnsieespana

Thank you for that Durham and sounds like you must have been hungry when you got home!
I had not realised Stalybridge, Nelson, Ashington and Durham had once lined up in Div 3 North!
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 14:24]
Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 10:36 - Aug 29 with 639 viewsdurham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 09:45 - Aug 29 by burnsieespana

Thank you for that Durham and sounds like you must have been hungry when you got home!
I had not realised Stalybridge, Nelson, Ashington and Durham had once lined up in Div 3 North!
[Post edited 30 Aug 2021 14:24]

Burnsie - I must say that i was ravenous!

Some of the teams suprised me from 1921. Stockport County won the league that year too.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 19:05 - Aug 29 with 606 viewsWitham

We were there Durham. Thought the start of the second half was great but we needed left back support after 15 minutes.
Was that you wearing the Dylan cap ?
Matt told us the Rochdale stewards couldn't do enough for him so I will be writing to praise them.
Rochdale Town centre has been well refurbished. Had a good walk at Uppermills on Saturday followed by a stiff climb to the Pots and Pans memorial.
Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 23:10 - Aug 29 with 574 viewsdurham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 19:05 - Aug 29 by Witham

We were there Durham. Thought the start of the second half was great but we needed left back support after 15 minutes.
Was that you wearing the Dylan cap ?
Matt told us the Rochdale stewards couldn't do enough for him so I will be writing to praise them.
Rochdale Town centre has been well refurbished. Had a good walk at Uppermills on Saturday followed by a stiff climb to the Pots and Pans memorial.

Witham pleased you enjoyed Rochdale and enjoyed the game.

No I didn't wear a hat. I wore my Colchester United Loyal Supporter Blue and White striped shirt and a Colchester United jacket.

Hope to see you at Barrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 23:38 - Aug 29 with 573 viewsgerry_us

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 23:10 - Aug 29 by durham_exile

Witham pleased you enjoyed Rochdale and enjoyed the game.

No I didn't wear a hat. I wore my Colchester United Loyal Supporter Blue and White striped shirt and a Colchester United jacket.

Hope to see you at Barrow.

Up the U's

.....and U's socks, and underpants.
Sartorial elegance is Durham.
Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 00:50 - Aug 30 with 564 viewsdurham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 23:38 - Aug 29 by gerry_us

.....and U's socks, and underpants.
Sartorial elegance is Durham.

Gerry, I only change the U's underpants once a month whether I need to or not!

Up the sartorially elegant U's

Durham_exile

Another point on the road at Spotland for the Super U's on 17:21 - Aug 30 with 499 viewsWitham

Hotel is booked for Barrow
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024