Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parental advice 18:34 - Sep 2 with 831 viewssevebalo

This is a common thing I suspect but thought it might be interesting to get a range of opinions. Sorry if this is more netmum territory :-)

I have a six year old son who is fairly indifferent about football, although he does play at school and separately once a week. He watched the England games over the summer but has a short attention span (30 mins) like most of his age.

He has a Col U shirt and has been nudged in the ways of Col U gently thus far.

I thought I would finally break his Col U duck and take him to the Sutton game on Saturday.

Having broached the subject - initial enthusiasm, then changed his mind, then incentivised with the promise of sweets, burger, fizzy pop etc. I feel like the fact he gets in free minimises my potential losses on the day, and we can bluff our way through this one game.

This raises a few questions though:

1 - Is it bad form for them to use a tablet/phone whilst the game is going on
2 - How to make him feel a bit more invested in Col U so they become "his" Team
3 - If the game is terrible/we lose/cold weather i.e. a fairly depressing experience, have I then broken him and missed the chance of any future repeats

Thoughts welcome!
Parental advice on 19:02 - Sep 2 with 811 viewsdurham_exile

sevebalo - I was 6 in 1962 when my Father took me to my first Football game. At Southbury Road Enfield to watch Enfield play in the Isthmian League. Obviously no tablets, phones or anything remotely like in those days. But we stood behind the goal and could walk around to the other end for the second half.

I took my eldest son to watch his first game when he was 2 at Kidderminster to watch Colchester and it finished 2-2 so that dates the game and my son who is now 33. I took a blanket for him and my late father accompanied us. I think both fell asleep at various times during the game!. Incidentally he supports Man Utd and my younger son supports Liverpool but they both occasionally join me at Colchester Away games.

Returning to your question though. I think 6 is the ideal age to start watching football or most sport for that matter. He will certainly follow the game and will enjoy the sights and sounds and the atmosphere.

I'm not going to criticise the idea of fizzy pop but favourite foods or snacks wouldn't go amiss!

Adults use tablets and phones at football so no problem but I would keep them in reserve and not bring them out at the beginning.

Regarding investing in the club. You could check to see the youngest age that your son could play at the stadium, I have seen youngsters playing on the five a side pitch at the far side of the car park.

You might also consider applying for him to be a mascot at the ground for a Colchester game. The experience is something that I am planning for my Granddaughter who is 5 (probably next year or the year after).

Also taking him in early September is good from a weather perspective. A cold November day for the first game is not advisable.

I would recommend the Sutton game. There will be goals Colchester will win and he might support a favourite player.

If the worst happended (but it will not) then one game will not put him off and so go for it and take him and enjoy the match.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Parental advice on 19:02 - Sep 2 with 810 viewsthrillseeker

Daughters first match was when she was 6 months old at Layer Road.

I took my daughter more regular when 6 or 7

In the younger years just let them do what they want - she was fascinated for first 10 -15 minutes but then became bored so she played on an electronic device and/ or colouring book.

I would nudge her now and again like free kicks or corners - goal scoring opportunities

Half time - refreshments

Second half - repeat of first half

She loved it and is now a ST holder

When cold I made decision not to take her but now she determines weather effect

ONE RULE - no toilet breaks during match - only before, HT and/ or full time Well that is the plan

TIP - get a programme

TIP - at HT some players come over to Family Enclosure. Make the effort to get a picture or programme signed so take a pen

TIP - let him wear his shirt

TIP - remember they are there

TIP - remind him he hates Ipswich. My daughter was taught this at 6 months and 13 years later still follows her dad on this one
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 19:03]
Parental advice on 09:10 - Sep 3 with 743 viewssevebalo

Thanks Durham and thrillseeker - some good tips there.

TIP - remember they are there

A few goals in the right end will make all the difference, and I think there is something special about a football stadium, especially to a youngster.
Parental advice on 18:30 - Sep 3 with 703 viewssevebalo

Well that hasn’t worked out too well. I’m guessing it will now be a cold Tuesday night in November.

I note that it’s the first round of the FA Cup qualifiers. Felixstowe perhaps…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024