Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS 19:24 - Sep 17 with 1207 viewsdurham_exile

Four league games unbeaten for the Super U’s after a dramatic and thrilling game at Holker Street last Friday. Saturdays sees the Red Devils of Crawley led by John Yems come to Town.

Now if we are serious about promotion then we need to drastically improve our home form and the Crawley games offers that chance. It is about time that we put a team to the sword, and I reckon a 3-0 home win tomorrow will set us up nicely for the tougher games to come.

Now no disrespect to the Red Devils but they must be defeated to get that home monkey off our backs.

After his 20 minutes of madness last week Luke Chambers misses the game tomorrow but that is perhaps not a bad thing. Tom Eastman was imperious when he came on last week and his goal was Maguire-esque in its power and simplicity.

Now for the first time this season I can show the table or part of it anyway:
The top ten are shown in full and then Crawley in 20th place. But this only goes to show just how tight the early season league positions are. But now is the time to maintain our good form and secure three valuable home points.

FGR 7 16
Harrogate 6 14
Northampton 7 13
Orient 7 12
Hartlepool 7 12
Rochdale 7 11
Bradford 7 11
Swindon 7 11
Exeter 7 10
COL U 6 9

Crawley 6 7

The dust has not yet settled on the vile abuse meted out to Shamal George but the player himself proved by his actions that he could rise above such racist chanting.

Indeed, George is fast becoming one of the faithful’s favourites and could become one of the Colchester great keepers. Too early for such plaudits perhaps, but George is confident, much understated and his handling, kicking and shot stopping are all excellent. He is a great personality too.

Now injuries are again thankfully limited. Miles Welch-Hayes might have to sit this week out, but we have a strong squad and plenty of decent players on the bench.

HM has a decision to make about the youngsters. Does he play both Jasper and Dobra with Sears and Nouble, that would be a bold side? Or does he play only one youngster or does he go with the experienced midfielders. And what about Junior Tchamadeu who was outstanding after coming on in the 87th minute. Yes, I know only a cameo, but we did play almost 8 minutes of additional time. And is Clampin fit to return, possibly but Daniels is playing out of his skin and that corner last week was sublime. Luke Hannant blotted his copy book with a stupid and unnecessary challenge to concede the penalty and must return to the bench.

So, I would go for the following side in a 4,2,4 formation. Plenty of pace and experience in equal measure.

George
Coxe Eastman Smith Daniels
Wiredu Chilvers
Dobra Sears Nouble Jasper

Sadly, I fear that not even Klopp or Guardiola would play that adventurous team.

So, what about a half-way house XI in a 4,3,3 formation:

George
Wiredu Judge Chilvers
Jasper Nouble Sears

Or 4,3,1,2

George
Wiredu Skuse Chilvers
Judge
Nouble Sears

Or 4,3,3

George
Wiredu Skuse Judge
Dobra Nouble Jasper

However, this is what I believe HM will go with tomorrow in a 4,2,3,1 formation:

George

Skuse Wiredu

Sears Judge Jasper

Nouble

Subs:

Turner Chilvers Kennedy Tchamadeu Dobra Hannant Welch-Hayes or Clampin

Weather in Colchester will be 20 degrees Celsius, sunny, and dry. Pitch will be top notch and hopefully a decent crowd buoyed by recent good performances.

3-0 Colchester with Big Frank scoring to improve his confidence plus Jasper and Sears.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:57 - Sep 17 with 1189 viewswessex_exile

Nice one Durham - I like the look of your line-up, but wouldn't mind betting it'll be Dobra to start and Jasper ready to come off the bench. I'm fine with either to be honest.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 20:57 - Sep 17 with 1173 viewsMoor_Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 19:57 - Sep 17 by wessex_exile

Nice one Durham - I like the look of your line-up, but wouldn't mind betting it'll be Dobra to start and Jasper ready to come off the bench. I'm fine with either to be honest.

There are good options and choices.
I just have one question - why Nouble?

He added nothing for us on his return in January and hasn't improved since. Plymouth swiftly found out that he is not lg 1 level and I really like him but do not see him as an automatic lg 2 player either.

But as long as we win and can steer clear of the bottom half I won't mind.
Won't miss Chambers & nor would I Smith, neither is as good as Tom!!

Up the U's

Moor Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 22:39 - Sep 17 with 1133 viewsmfb_cufc

Good preview as always, durham.

I agree with wessex, I think Dobra will play ahead of Jasper. Either must start instead of Hannant. Both durham and wessex alluded to the fact Hannant didn't have a good game against Barrow. I will go a step further to say it was one the worst performances I had ever seen from a Colchester player. He single handily did his best to lose that game for the team, after that had shown such guts to get themselves in front. It was his poor pass that lead to Chambers getting sent off, and his poor clearance that the Barrow player picked up and took it into the penalty area, where Hannant's pathetic challenge gave away the penalty. Previous to all that he tried to get a Barrow player booked by falling to the ground, and got booked himself for protesting. From what I read he looked good in pre-season friendlies, and then got a bad attack of Covid. I don't know if has rushed back too soon, or just trying to impress. Either way he needs to sort himself out.

I can see where you are coming from Pinault, but Nouble gives us that the physical presence up front, that no other player can. Thiough I still feel his best position is on the left, rather than centre, where he his playing at the moment.

mfb

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 23:02 - Sep 17 with 1124 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 20:57 - Sep 17 by Moor_Pinot

There are good options and choices.
I just have one question - why Nouble?

He added nothing for us on his return in January and hasn't improved since. Plymouth swiftly found out that he is not lg 1 level and I really like him but do not see him as an automatic lg 2 player either.

But as long as we win and can steer clear of the bottom half I won't mind.
Won't miss Chambers & nor would I Smith, neither is as good as Tom!!

Up the U's

pinault - I thought that I would do a bit of research on Big Frank before responding.

At 29 years of age (hes is 30 next week) he has had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus and in 398 apperances has scored 63 goals. He is 6ft 3ins tall and has the build of a classic centre forward, but sadly he is not.

I agree with Mick he plays best on the left hand side. What he does well is to win the ball and hold it up and he works incredibly hard for the team but he doesn't score enough goals.

But he does win important balls and wins free kicks in key areas. Towards the end of the game at Barrow he won a critical free kick which resulted in Jones receiving his second yellow and therefore a red card.

He always gives his all for the team and he was leading the celebrations at Holker Street at the end of the game.

If we had been able to secure the services of a CF then it is Big Frank that would have given way.

However if we were to play the youngsters (Jasper and Dobra) together Big Frank would be the perfect foil and would provide the muscle.

I can only hope that HM is strong enough to play both Jasper and Dobra, they can operate on the wings and both offer pace and skill.

Michael Folivi is not a COL U player but when he recovers I hope that the club give him a contract. Towards the end of last season he was just starting to show what he is capable of doing.

I have given up on Richard Kone. That ship appears to have sailed or more properly sunk without trace. I blame the Agent for filling his head with nonsense of Premier League football when we could have offered him the contract that he was looking for, albeit at league two level.

Anyway back to tomorrow. We need to see Crawley off and pick up three valuable points.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 23:15 - Sep 17 with 1122 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 22:39 - Sep 17 by mfb_cufc

Good preview as always, durham.

I agree with wessex, I think Dobra will play ahead of Jasper. Either must start instead of Hannant. Both durham and wessex alluded to the fact Hannant didn't have a good game against Barrow. I will go a step further to say it was one the worst performances I had ever seen from a Colchester player. He single handily did his best to lose that game for the team, after that had shown such guts to get themselves in front. It was his poor pass that lead to Chambers getting sent off, and his poor clearance that the Barrow player picked up and took it into the penalty area, where Hannant's pathetic challenge gave away the penalty. Previous to all that he tried to get a Barrow player booked by falling to the ground, and got booked himself for protesting. From what I read he looked good in pre-season friendlies, and then got a bad attack of Covid. I don't know if has rushed back too soon, or just trying to impress. Either way he needs to sort himself out.

I can see where you are coming from Pinault, but Nouble gives us that the physical presence up front, that no other player can. Thiough I still feel his best position is on the left, rather than centre, where he his playing at the moment.

Mick - I thought that Cambridge had made a mistake in allowing Hannant to leave the club and come to Colchester especially after they had secured promotion.

He made the initial mistake of doing a Ben Foden (Gazza hairstyle and colour) and then through no fault of his own he developed COVID.

I don't think he is match fit and he was off the pace last week. The penalty he conceded was unnecessary (we had several covering players) and he had lost all pace. COVID does seem to affect people differently and the long variant seems to be debilitating for weeks if not months.

He will be an asset but at present he is struggling. An impact player for the last 20 mins rather than seeing out the full 90 appears to be his best chance at the moment.

I would play Dobra and Jasper together up front but I am not the manager and it would take a brave man to do so. The problem has always been with loanees that we question their loyalty.

In the games that I have seen Sylvester Jasper play he is the real deal but he must be played up front and should not be asked to track back to the left back position. His pace scares defenders and some of the touches against Oldham and Rochdale were sublime.

I haven't seen Dobra play yet and had it not been for Chambers madness at Barrow either one or perhaps both would have played some part last week.

Crawley must be put to the sword and it will be the pace of both that can unlock defences and they should be employed as such.

Anyway up the U's and three points tomorrow.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 23:16]

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 06:38 - Sep 18 with 1098 viewsnoah4x4

Great write up Durham, but saying "........now if we are serious about promotion then we need to drastically improve our home form...." is (IMHO) a tad harsh on Mullins and the team.

If we ignore League One Gillingham in the meaningless cup, we have only played League Two pace-setters Northampton at home and suffered a narrow loss, given Sutton United was postponed.

Half the teams we have played away are right up there in the promotion mix, as will we be if we win our game in hand. I expect us to win comfortably today and if we don't, it could indicate our destiny. We have to beat sides like Crawley that are struggling with low gates, no sugar daddy and on low playing budgets.
Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 09:24 - Sep 18 with 1087 viewsburnsieespana

Thank you for that Durham.
Looking forward to this afternoon as will be at the game!

Up the U's
Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 11:20 - Sep 18 with 1072 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 06:38 - Sep 18 by noah4x4

Great write up Durham, but saying "........now if we are serious about promotion then we need to drastically improve our home form...." is (IMHO) a tad harsh on Mullins and the team.

If we ignore League One Gillingham in the meaningless cup, we have only played League Two pace-setters Northampton at home and suffered a narrow loss, given Sutton United was postponed.

Half the teams we have played away are right up there in the promotion mix, as will we be if we win our game in hand. I expect us to win comfortably today and if we don't, it could indicate our destiny. We have to beat sides like Crawley that are struggling with low gates, no sugar daddy and on low playing budgets.

Noah - I don't consider the Papa Johns as a justifiable competition. My comments on Home form were based solely on the league. The Northampton game was a bad defeat. They were poor and apart from the scrappy goal they barely had an effort on goal.

It is all about results. Mansfield looked a very good team but look at them now.

Three points toady is what it is all about.

A turn around in form between Home and Away results is bizarre but welcome from an Away perspective.

At Carlisle we dug deep and deserved a point. We have a good record at Oldham and deserved to have won more convincingly. Rochdale was another hard fought point but deserved and Barrow we showed great resolve especially after going a man down with 22 to play.

Transfer that to the Home games and we are definitely going up this year. The commitment last weekend was simply brilliant and the team demonstrated how to win against the odds.

At home we have a decent stadium, a good pitch and poor attendances but we kick start our home form today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 11:20 - Sep 18 with 1071 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 09:24 - Sep 18 by burnsieespana

Thank you for that Durham.
Looking forward to this afternoon as will be at the game!

Up the U's

Burnsie - enjoy the game. I reckon a good home win is on the cards.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:26 - Sep 18 with 1046 viewsdurham_exile

HM has gone with my predicted starting XI.

I am beginning to believe that someone is reading this stuff!!!!!!!!

George

Wiredu Skuse

Sears Judge Jasper

Nouble

I stand by 3-0 prediction too

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:39 - Sep 18 with 1043 viewswessex_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:26 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

HM has gone with my predicted starting XI.

I am beginning to believe that someone is reading this stuff!!!!!!!!

George

Wiredu Skuse

Sears Judge Jasper

Nouble

I stand by 3-0 prediction too

Up the U's

Good call Durham!

Up the U's

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:24 - Sep 18 with 1034 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 14:39 - Sep 18 by wessex_exile

Good call Durham!

Here we go again.

Just what is wrong with our home form?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:47 - Sep 18 with 1016 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:24 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

Here we go again.

Just what is wrong with our home form?

Up the U's

Big second half needed.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:02 - Sep 18 with 1003 viewsMoor_Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 15:47 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

Big second half needed.

Up the U's

Yes and it's not looking particularly likely at the moment.
We have not won at Cuckoo Farm for a long time, not even a pre season friendly so it's time to turn things round, something which Mullins will need to shape today from the bench. Crawley not really under much pressure yet.
Here's hoping.

Moor Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:30 - Sep 18 with 985 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:02 - Sep 18 by Moor_Pinot

Yes and it's not looking particularly likely at the moment.
We have not won at Cuckoo Farm for a long time, not even a pre season friendly so it's time to turn things round, something which Mullins will need to shape today from the bench. Crawley not really under much pressure yet.
Here's hoping.

I am so angry.
What is the point of winning Away to then throw things away at home.

Come on we must get something from this game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:32 - Sep 18 with 982 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:30 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

I am so angry.
What is the point of winning Away to then throw things away at home.

Come on we must get something from this game.

Up the U's

Dobra on for Wiredu

Why not give Tovide a run out

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:43 - Sep 18 with 977 viewsMoor_Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:32 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

Dobra on for Wiredu

Why not give Tovide a run out

Up the U's

Yes, why not.
Well worth trying these lads, we've nothing to lose but it's something Colchester just don't do.
No idea why.

Moor Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Sep 18 with 974 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:43 - Sep 18 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, why not.
Well worth trying these lads, we've nothing to lose but it's something Colchester just don't do.
No idea why.

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:59 - Sep 18 with 967 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

Come on

Up the U's

I just don't believe it.

So disappointing

Just like the Northampton game.

Perhaps we must approach Kone again?

And how is Michael Folivi

As sick as a parrot!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:02 - Sep 18 with 965 viewswessex_exile

Exceptionally disappointing - it'll be a long season if we have to rely on our away form, and away at Swindon will severely test that form. It's scant consolation that Southend lost again, and Norwich suffer their 15th consecutive Premier League defeat, but who gets the winner for Ipswich, none other than Macauley Bonne.

Up the U's

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:09 - Sep 18 with 960 viewsMoor_Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 16:51 - Sep 18 by durham_exile

Come on

Up the U's

Strange and unimaginative performance.
Little direction or drive.
Needed excitement and do or die passion from substitutes but got defenders really.
Odd.
Nothing suggests a title tilt yet watching that, simply not enough quality and of course, we have nobody to have a crack at goal given even half a chance. Nobody.

Disappointed after a reasonable input at Barrow but realistically we've lots of Ipswich retirees which has worried me since the start - are they hungry to drive the U's on or happy to settle for our nice facilities and avoid the need to move house? Don't want to be sceptical but it has bothered me.
Chilvers, Tchamadeau, Tovide etc need to play, younger already experienced with us to some degree, mix them in with Daniels and Judge it may shake down well.
Still, tis early days I guess and management's probably still trying things. We score so few goals and hardly any at home, haven't done for a long time now.

Anyway, not autumn yet so here's hoping.....

Moor Pinot

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 17:28 - Sep 18 with 943 viewsnoah4x4

Crawley came with a game plan when we didn't. Their confidence soared when they scored and the U's looked shambolic from that point forward.

Nouble, Sears and Jasper were awful. Jasper should have been subbed much earlier, having run out of steam and fight after a mere 30 minutes. What is the point of playing a back three when Coxe won't cross the halfway line?

This looked like a Humes plan.......Humes Out!
Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 12:49 - Sep 19 with 796 viewsbwildered

All too slow …..and ……….methodical.
Unable to up the game in second half , subs had little impact .
Consistency is the key, and we still have not got it.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 21:49 - Sep 19 with 734 viewsburnsieespana

So very disappointed by this performance
Daniels looked absolutely knackered.
We need to play Chilvers and Clampin as think yesterday we had 7 over 30 which is the opposite to last year.
Dobra looked to me a decent prospect as prepared to run with the ball but oh where are the goals coming from as we had a couple of good chances which should in all honesty have been out away.
Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 22:27 - Sep 19 with 725 viewsdurham_exile

Red Devils to be roasted by the Super U's at the JSCS on 21:49 - Sep 19 by burnsieespana

So very disappointed by this performance
Daniels looked absolutely knackered.
We need to play Chilvers and Clampin as think yesterday we had 7 over 30 which is the opposite to last year.
Dobra looked to me a decent prospect as prepared to run with the ball but oh where are the goals coming from as we had a couple of good chances which should in all honesty have been out away.

So sorry Burnsie that you witnessed such a disappointing game.

We really are Jekyll and Hyde again this season. Brilliant last week and poor this.

The Home form is poor and we must sort it out and quick.

As for a striker. Folivi when fit and the enigma that is Kone offers the best hope but when and in the meantime we must solve the problem.

Safe journey home.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024