Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys 14:50 - Sep 29 with 1347 viewsMrHappy2

Colchester United and their greatest moment ..

Promoted to the championship

I had just arrived in Colchester

What perfect timing !

Poll: In its 20th season how has the Happy League affected your life ?

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 09:03 - Sep 30 with 1285 viewsDaniel

Has your moving away from Colchester coincided with our demise?

Every time I move house the U's tend to change league - it seems the closer I am to the ground the better.
2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 10:41 - Sep 30 with 1274 viewsMrHappy2

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 09:03 - Sep 30 by Daniel

Every time I move house the U's tend to change league - it seems the closer I am to the ground the better.

Good point sir

😇

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 20:19 - Sep 30 with 1236 viewsghughes11

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 09:03 - Sep 30 by Daniel

Think we should all chip in to move Daniel next door then!

Or even better can you take over the chairman's office!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 22:24 - Sep 30 with 1220 viewsgerry_us

2005, great timing, we moved to the USA, hence gerry_us and only returned late 2009 when the fun was all over. During that four years managed to see just one U's game v Hull in 2006 when we won 5-1, Iwelemo with 4 and Cureton with 1. Well worth the trip over. Pity Hull had pinched Parky but he got his come-uppance that day.
Those were the days when we had strikers.
2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 23:25 - Sep 30 with 1214 viewsMrHappy2

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 22:24 - Sep 30 by gerry_us

2005, great timing, we moved to the USA, hence gerry_us and only returned late 2009 when the fun was all over. During that four years managed to see just one U's game v Hull in 2006 when we won 5-1, Iwelemo with 4 and Cureton with 1. Well worth the trip over. Pity Hull had pinched Parky but he got his come-uppance that day.

At least you saw a goal fest 😇

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 10:03 - Oct 1 with 1194 viewsburnsieespana

What a wonderful season that first one in the Championship was.
It was incredible how after loosing to he first few games comprehensively we went on to do so well and even had a possibility of of promotion.
2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 14:25 - Oct 1 with 1167 viewsRSCOSWORTH

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 22:24 - Sep 30 by gerry_us

What a game/night that was!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 14:29 - Oct 1 with 1166 viewsRSCOSWORTH

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 10:03 - Oct 1 by burnsieespana

What a wonderful season that first one in the Championship was.
It was incredible how after loosing to he first few games comprehensively we went on to do so well and even had a possibility of of promotion.

We did lose our first four games but each one was only by a single goal. Little did we know how the season would go after those first four games. Seems like a long, long time ago now.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Login to get fewer ads

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 21:53 - Oct 1 with 1134 viewsMrHappy2

Glory years at Layer Road

Better stadium

Better memories

Better atmosphere

Great team and manager

At least you experienced it

It probably won’t happen again

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 08:31 - Oct 5 with 1053 viewsnoah4x4

I moved to Colchester in 2003 and started, initially irregularly following the U's in 2004 (I also went to Ipswich!), so apart from the first year in the Championship (my first full season) , I have seen nothing but decline. Mr Happy moving away or me moving into the borough is coincidental. But Cowling, Humes, Ball, De Souza and their stubborn refusal to change from broken philosophies over the same timescales isn't.

Having moved about the country with work, I have always followed my "local team", including Kidderminster Harriers, Villa, Bristol City and Millwall. Colchester is now my longest stay of residence, helped by (early) retirement in 2012.

I used to make a justified comparitive observation that U's fans moan and complain more than fans of any other club that I have been associated with. Sadly, I have now joined them after years of misplaced enthusiasm . I fell in love with Layer Road and the U's as it was much like the Aggborough (Kidderminster) of my youth. The Lambert and Boothroyd seasons at Cuckoo Farm still looked promising. Indeed, their (U's) career win percentages match any of the best historic U's managers . But since then it has been a progressively more punishing path into depression under the management of Cowling's inexperienced pals. Nobody will convince me that Mullins has complete control as Humes and De Souza claimed credit for recruiting the Ipswich rejects and there is continuation of Humes failed tactics and formations.

I will trek to Tranmere on Friday as that is what I currently do to fulfill my football fix. But I am sorely tempted to throw in the towel and go to the cinema or some alternative, less frustrating entertainment. The Stadium is now utterly soul-less concrete with no satisfying match day experience and the football club seems destined to eventually slide into non-league oblivion.
2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 11:36 - Oct 5 with 1033 viewsMrHappy2

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 08:31 - Oct 5 by noah4x4

I moved to Colchester in 2003 and started, initially irregularly following the U's in 2004 (I also went to Ipswich!), so apart from the first year in the Championship (my first full season) , I have seen nothing but decline. Mr Happy moving away or me moving into the borough is coincidental. But Cowling, Humes, Ball, De Souza and their stubborn refusal to change from broken philosophies over the same timescales isn't.

Having moved about the country with work, I have always followed my "local team", including Kidderminster Harriers, Villa, Bristol City and Millwall. Colchester is now my longest stay of residence, helped by (early) retirement in 2012.

I used to make a justified comparitive observation that U's fans moan and complain more than fans of any other club that I have been associated with. Sadly, I have now joined them after years of misplaced enthusiasm . I fell in love with Layer Road and the U's as it was much like the Aggborough (Kidderminster) of my youth. The Lambert and Boothroyd seasons at Cuckoo Farm still looked promising. Indeed, their (U's) career win percentages match any of the best historic U's managers . But since then it has been a progressively more punishing path into depression under the management of Cowling's inexperienced pals. Nobody will convince me that Mullins has complete control as Humes and De Souza claimed credit for recruiting the Ipswich rejects and there is continuation of Humes failed tactics and formations.

I will trek to Tranmere on Friday as that is what I currently do to fulfill my football fix. But I am sorely tempted to throw in the towel and go to the cinema or some alternative, less frustrating entertainment. The Stadium is now utterly soul-less concrete with no satisfying match day experience and the football club seems destined to eventually slide into non-league oblivion.

Wow that is some statement

I bought a Millwall season ticket this year as it is a bus ride away from my house and would fill up my Saturdays - but after two games I lost the buzz and gave it away to a lady Millwall fan who lives in Colchester.

I’d sooner watch non league I reckon.

Maybe I’ll make a return next year with Derby in the old div 3 who knows.

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 17:10 - Oct 5 with 1001 viewswessex_exile

My time following the U's goes back to 1970, and we're now where we were then, so I guess my ledger is balanced. The earlier years were a bit Tier 3 Tier 4 yo-yoing, eventually leaving Tier 3 in 1981 and not returning until 1998 (17 years, including two in the conference). Stayed there (or higher) until 2016 (18 years, including two in the championship) before returning to Tier 4. This is our sixth year back in Tier 4, so don't want to worry people reaching the end of their tether, but we've a long way to go before we even get close to the last spell in Tier 4.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 19:09 - Oct 5 with 986 viewsdurham_exile

2005 - 16 years ago - wow how time flys on 17:10 - Oct 5 by wessex_exile

My time following the U's goes back to 1970, and we're now where we were then, so I guess my ledger is balanced. The earlier years were a bit Tier 3 Tier 4 yo-yoing, eventually leaving Tier 3 in 1981 and not returning until 1998 (17 years, including two in the conference). Stayed there (or higher) until 2016 (18 years, including two in the championship) before returning to Tier 4. This is our sixth year back in Tier 4, so don't want to worry people reaching the end of their tether, but we've a long way to go before we even get close to the last spell in Tier 4.

My time supporting the U's mirrors Wessex so like him I have experienced every emotion and Championship, League 1, League 2 and Non League.

(Div 3 and Div 4 of course).

I do not believe things are as bleak as last season but we must sign a striker from somewhere and quick.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024