Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies 23:36 - Oct 1 with 814 viewsdurham_exile

After another precious point on the road at Swindon, HM returned to the Coaching position as the Super U’s deservedly defeated a youthful West Ham side on Tuesday night.

Saturday sees the Ammies in Town led by Gary Bowyer and with plenty of financial backing. They have not started the season as they would have wanted however but recently defeated Bradford City and will have to be taken seriously at the JSCS. They have just signed Aramide Oteh on loan from QPR. He played 13 times for the U’s (4 starts) and scored one goal. Enough said.

Now next week at Tranmere we will be without Armando Dobra who has been called up to the Albanian International squad whilst Captain Tommy Smith will be with New Zealand. No chance of postponing games though (unlike Sutton United!).

Instead, HM has injury concerns with Miles Welch-Hayes still unavailable.

A very youthful team lined up against the Hammers, but I do not think HM will play youngsters like Tchamadeu, Dobra, Tovide and Cooper from the start against the Ammies. Instead, we will see the return of some of the more experienced players.

Shamal George will be back between the posts on Saturday. Dean Gerken did nothing wrong, but George is number one for my money.

The back four is likely to be Coxe, Eastman, Chambers and Daniels with Cole Skuse returning in midfield with Brendan Wiredu and Noah Chilvers. Up front expect Freddie Sears, Big Frank Nouble and Alan Judge sitting in behind.

So, 4,3,1,2, and the following personnel:

George

Coxe Eastman Chambers Daniels

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Judge

Sears Nouble

Subs:

Turner Tchamadeu Clampin Jasper Dobra Tovide Cooper

Now one player that I have been disappointed with is Luke Hannant. He arrived from Cambridge United amid a good deal of publicity. He contracted COVID almost immediately and I think that perhaps he is suffering from Long COVID. His performances have been lack lustre at best. The performance at Barrow was simply shocking. He doesn’t seem to have the pace to skip by players and his challenges are cumbersome and awkward (the penalty give away at Holker Street a case in point). I hope that he returns to the form that he showed for Cambridge last season and soon.

Success stories on Tuesday were Chay Cooper who for 40 minutes looked head and shoulders above many of his more experienced colleagues. Samson Tovide was big and strong and in the absence of another Centre Forward must surely soon begin to start instead of Big Frank. Junior Tchamadeu was also impressive (again).

Sylvester Jasper seems to have also lost some of his early season sparkling form, but it will return. Big Frank must be on the final warning. He needs a goal tomorrow without doubt.

Ryan Clampin still looked short of match fitness and so I expect Charlie Daniels to return at left back. Tom Eastman was less comfortable on the left-hand side at the back but still offers a classy range of skills in the back four.

Cole Skuse is so experienced, and Brenda Wiredu is my player of the year so far. Alan Judge will also return as the Number 10.

Freddie Sears, after a couple of inspired games, drifted in and out on Tuesday night, he needs another goal to get his hunger back.

I am not concerned about our league position; it is false anyway because we would have won the Sutton game, but we do need to get that league monkey off our back (it’s more like a Silverback Gorilla than a Chimp at present). However, I reckon 2-0 against Salford will do nicely. Big Frank and substitute Jasper with the goals.

Now the constant cry is when are we going to get another Centre Forward. Now I have been scanning the records this week and since 2002/03 season the only player to score more than 20 goals in a single season was Jamie Cureton with 24 in 2006/07.

Chris Iwelumo scored 19 in 2005/06 and Chris Porter 16 in 2016/17. Freddie Sears top scored in 13/14 and 14/15 with 12 and 14 respectively whilst Sammie Szmodics scored 13 in 17/18 and 15 in 18/19 but apart from that it has been Slim Pickings (whoever he is!).

The legend that was Big Roy also weighed in but that is before many of the younger faithful were even born.

I’ve given up on Richard Kone and can only hope that Michael Folivi is fit soon to be offered a contract.

Colchester weather looks wet tomorrow with showers and 16 degrees Celsius.

Let us hope that the faithful come out in force. That first home league win beckons.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 11:54 - Oct 2 with 739 viewsmfb_cufc

Good preview as always Durham. You have left Smith out of the squad, and as he is captain I am sure he will be starting, with Eastman on the bench. I agree with everything you say about Hannant, but I reckon he will also be in the squad, probably on the bench. I think most fans can see why we are not scoring goals, especially at home, and that is playing Frank as a central striker. It is just not a natural position for him. There has been many times this season where he hasn't had that anticipation and instinct of a natural striker to get in front of the defender on crosses. As we know, his best position is on the left. The dilemma though is who plays as central striker instead of Frank. As I said at the time he joined us, I would like to see Dobra given a chance there. We just have to try something different.

mfb

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 12:32 - Oct 2 with 733 viewsburnsieespana

As usual an excellent summary of the situation.
Suspect Hannant still suffering the after effects of Covid and will come good very soon
Thought Dobra looked lively when he came on as a sub against Crawley and would like to see him start instead of Sears
To my mind we do need some of the young guns such as Chilvers starting to give energy.
Unless Smith is injured suspect he will come in instead of Eastman.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 13:59 - Oct 2 with 723 viewswessex_exile

Great write-up as ever Durham. With five of our seven matches in October at home, this month will be crucial to our promotion challenge if we can just start replicating the performance against West Ham last Tuesday.

Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 14:09 - Oct 2 with 719 viewsdurham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 13:59 - Oct 2 by wessex_exile

Great write-up as ever Durham. With five of our seven matches in October at home, this month will be crucial to our promotion challenge if we can just start replicating the performance against West Ham last Tuesday.

Up the U's!

Wessex hopefully starting today with 3 points

Mick called it with Smith returning.
I thought with International duty coming up Tom Eastman would remain.
Still not a bad replacement.

Team

George

Coxe Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Dobra Chilvers

Judge

Sears Nouble

Subs
Turner Clampin Wiredu Hannant Jasper Eastman Tovide

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:00 - Oct 2 with 709 viewsgerry_us

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 14:09 - Oct 2 by durham_exile

Wessex hopefully starting today with 3 points

Mick called it with Smith returning.
I thought with International duty coming up Tom Eastman would remain.
Still not a bad replacement.

Team

George

Coxe Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Dobra Chilvers

Judge

Sears Nouble

Subs
Turner Clampin Wiredu Hannant Jasper Eastman Tovide

Up the U's

Nouble and Sears are NOT the answer to our goal drought. Put on the youngsters; that can only be better.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:12 - Oct 2 with 707 viewsgerry_us

Well that's it. Salford out of sight.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:14 - Oct 2 with 704 viewswessex_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:12 - Oct 2 by gerry_us

Well that's it. Salford out of sight.

Hasn't started well at all, has it.

Up the U's

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:20 - Oct 2 with 702 viewsMoor_Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:14 - Oct 2 by wessex_exile

Hasn't started well at all, has it.

And I don't know what you thought Wesser but I found Mullins' pre match comments about it not being important to make instant impact starts to games somewhat underwhelming. What's that all about. Salford seem to disagree.
His comments regarding use of youngsters also bothered me. It's as though we're saddled with the ipstink retirees and they have to come first. That's OK if they're convincing and one or two have made promising starts for the U's but by no means all of them and we're still in a shakedown period.
Early days I spose but a fifth of the season is over and we look lousy again so far today. There's nothing promotional about this.

Moor Pinot

Login to get fewer ads

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:30 - Oct 2 with 690 viewsMoor_Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:20 - Oct 2 by Moor_Pinot

And I don't know what you thought Wesser but I found Mullins' pre match comments about it not being important to make instant impact starts to games somewhat underwhelming. What's that all about. Salford seem to disagree.
His comments regarding use of youngsters also bothered me. It's as though we're saddled with the ipstink retirees and they have to come first. That's OK if they're convincing and one or two have made promising starts for the U's but by no means all of them and we're still in a shakedown period.
Early days I spose but a fifth of the season is over and we look lousy again so far today. There's nothing promotional about this.

This is awful.

But Sammie has scored for posh and two of 'ours' have scored for Torquay.
Trying to look at things positively but it's been damned difficult for the last few seasons.

Moor Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:33 - Oct 2 with 689 viewsgerry_us

Mmm!
Sammy Smods scores...and again!
Dan Holman scores
Tom Lapslie scores
Macca Bonne probably will....and has now.
Who will ever score for U's
[Post edited 2 Oct 2021 15:44]
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:57 - Oct 2 with 665 viewsthrillseeker

Truly awful performance.

Wet, miserable and stadium roof has a hole in it
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:59 - Oct 2 with 663 viewsgerry_us

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:57 - Oct 2 by thrillseeker

Truly awful performance.

So has our defence!
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:10 - Oct 2 with 655 viewsdurham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:59 - Oct 2 by gerry_us

So has our defence!

Grim times indeed

Can we retrieve the situation.
A huge second half

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:14 - Oct 2 with 650 viewsburnsieespana

Mullins, Dyer, Humes, Ball out.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:17 - Oct 2 with 644 viewsdurham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:14 - Oct 2 by burnsieespana

Mullins, Dyer, Humes, Ball out.

Bring on Samson Tovide
Now!

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:28 - Oct 2 with 631 viewsburnsieespana

Dobra off replaced by Eastman. Mullins and Dyer have lost the plot.
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:32 - Oct 2 with 629 viewsMoor_Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:28 - Oct 2 by burnsieespana

Dobra off replaced by Eastman. Mullins and Dyer have lost the plot.

I'm not convinced that they ever had it Burnsie.
All those Ipswich bods to bed in, always looked like a tricky call and a long shot (that was cheap?). Not sure tis a recipe for a happy dressing room when the management is new to it all.
Another long miserable season I fear, though I keep my fingers crossed....

Moor Pinot

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:38 - Oct 2 with 627 viewsgerry_us

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 15:33 - Oct 2 by gerry_us

Mmm!
Sammy Smods scores...and again!
Dan Holman scores
Tom Lapslie scores
Macca Bonne probably will....and has now.
Who will ever score for U's
[Post edited 2 Oct 2021 15:44]

and now Harry Pell scores....
Oh for a goal, by anybody
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:47 - Oct 2 with 620 viewsgerry_us

Come on the eleven men...
Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:57 - Oct 2 with 608 viewswessex_exile

Just dreadful - something needs fixing, and fast.

Up the U's

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 17:01 - Oct 2 with 600 viewsdurham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 16:57 - Oct 2 by wessex_exile

Just dreadful - something needs fixing, and fast.

Must get a striker.
It is not difficult to fix.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 17:09 - Oct 2 with 592 viewsLeadbelly

Beginning to look like McGreal was right and Tisdale is the only reason we survived last year.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Dirty Old Town - Super U's to prevail against the Ammies on 17:11 - Oct 2 with 590 viewsthrillseeker

Truly awful performance.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024