Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Wirrall" Rubbish - Super U's to prevail at Prenton Park 10:48 - Oct 6 with 2210 viewsdurham_exile

Crisis, what crisis! HM on the back of another shocking Home performance takes his much-maligned team to Prenton Park this Friday evening.

Tranmere sit in 9th position with 15 points from 10 games. The U’s are 18th with 10 points from 9 matches. Now so far, our Away record has given us the majority of our points and we are unbeaten Away from the JSCS, but what would happen if we were to lose on Friday. The clamour for more people to go perhaps and more moaning and groaning about team selection, Ipswich signings etc.

For at least the last 5 seasons I have been arguing for a striker (Centre Forward), but even that is not the fix all solution. We are simply not scoring enough goals from elsewhere on the pitch.

Our midfield players are not weighing in with goals and neither are the wingers. Tom Eastman’s majestic header at Barrow showed us what we are missing from Corners.

But why has our Home form suddenly dipped so badly. Opposition teams come with a game plan. They sit in and invite us to take the game to them, but we are not doing this. We do not start smart and go at the opposition, result they gain in confidence and result another damaging defeat. We are too one dimensional at home, tactics are too easily identifiable, we are too laboured in the approach play. Too many senior players are out of form.

But we do not have a target man. Big Frank is suffering, played out of position, he is unable to hold the ball up and he has not formed a partnership with Freddie Sears. We still have not moved away from a single striker and the threat is too easily snuffed out by League Two defences who are not put under enough pressure.

We are happy to counter attack Away from home and against Barrow Sears played his best game for the U’s without doubt. He attacked down both flanks and made one and scored one. The most frustrating point about Colchester this season is that when we are on top, we fail to go for the jugular and having done the hard work at Oldham we almost let them back into the game. Rochdale was a tough second half because we failed to push home our advantage after being gifted the lead.

The Barrow game was like Fleetwood Away some years ago when we won late on.

Tranmere have been very good at home this season and will present problems for us. I have been to Prenton Park on several occasions but none more remarkable than Friday 26 September 2008. My son was at UCLan in Preston, and I picked him up enroute. Colchester had Kit Symons in temporary charge. Two early goals (Perkins) one from each side made it an evenly matched game but two further Colchester goals from Yeates and Platt made it 3-1 which Jackson made 4-1 with an early second half goal. So, game over, not a bit of it, a calamitous mistake from Gerken made it 4-2 and Tranmere scored again to make it 4-3 and the U’s managed to see out the rest of the game. Not good for the heart rate, but a superb and exciting game.

Friday night and the U’s need to bring some form into the game. It is a time to stand up and be counted and to ensure the best counter attacking game that we can bring in order to regain some pride and silence some of the doubters.

Micky Mellon’s (me old fruit) side won 2-0 against Salford in the Papa John’s trophy but don’t read too much into that as both teams made changes. It does mean however that we will be up against it on Friday.

So, who does HM play? International call ups mean that Smith and Dobra are away with New Zealand and Albania respectively but no postponement for the U’s we soldier on.

If Miles Welch-Hayes is still unfit, the defence will largely pick itself. Junior Tchamadeu should be brought in for Coxe and Daniels will keep Clampin out.

Midfield must see Wiredu Skuse and Chilvers and then Tovide Big Frank and Jasper up front.

So be brave and play 4,3,3

George

Tchamadeu Eastman Chambers Daniels

Wiredu Skuse Chilvers

Jasper Tovide Nouble

Subs:

Turner Clampin Hannant Judge Sears Coxe Cooper

HM knows that he cannot continue to stick with the same old formation or squad members. Junior Tchamadeu proved at Barrow that he is ready for first team football as full back. Brendan Wiredu should not be dropped; he is our best midfielder. Cole Skuse in the games that I have been too has been a consistent performer, Noah Chilvers needs to be given free rein. Sylvester Jasper was almost unplayable in those early games when he replaced Sears and he should start on Friday. Big Frank has been criticised by many, but he is being asked to play centrally when his best position is left sided up front.

Samson Tovide should be asked to lead the line; he is ready, and his pace will upset defences.

Regarding substitutes, I would expect to see Luke Hannant, Alan Judge and Chay Cooper at some stage in the second half at Prenton Park.

Weather will be a mild 18 degrees Celsius on Friday, cloudy with only 10 % chance of precipitation.

Expect a large, partisan crowd including Mike Dean. The Super U’s will be in the Cow Shed at Prenton Park. Make sure you buy a Fanzine even if you don’t get a programme, The Fanzine is always a cracking read at Tranmere.

It is up to the players to bring their A game and to be resolute in their approach to his game. Reputations are on the line and there can be no excuse for a limp and lack lustre performance. I reckon that we can win at Prenton Park and burst the Tranmere bubble. A 3-2 scoreline with Big Frank, Samson Tovide and Charlie Daniels on the scoresheet.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Enjoy the game

Up the U's

Durham_exile

"Wirrall" Rubbish - Super U's to prevail at Prenton Park on 10:02 - Oct 9 with 577 viewsbwildered

Starting to feel like the 88-89 / 89-90 scenario. Thought we dodged a bullet in safely avoiding relegation first season, only to get dumped out the league the second time around due to incompetent signings.
What is the worry this time around is that the recruited are experienced players who should know better.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024