Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racist abuse against Shamal George 18:35 - Oct 14 with 771 viewswessex_exile

Various media outlets (e.g. https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19646755.colchester-united-keeper-shamal-geo ) are reporting today that the matter has been investigated, with one supporter questioned under caution, but no further criminal action can be taken.

Barrow Chief Executive Levi Gill commented "This should not, however, be taken as a sign that the Club condones this kind of behaviour or that we don’t believe that the abuse occurred. There has been debate among the fan base about whether the report was a result of players misunderstanding a fan song.

I can assure everybody that, having heard the complaint and read some of the witness information, this is not what has happened. I’m convinced that the abuse occurred and, with the backing of the Club’s owners, will take the strongest possible action against anybody proven to be responsible either for this incident or any similar future cases.
".

It would appear that multiple witnesses confirmed the abuse occurred, but though CCTV footage could identify a small section of the terrace from which it originated, it wasn't possible to confidently identify the specific culprit.

Very sad for Shamal, who sadly predicted this might be the outcome, but I can't fault Barrow AFC, Cumbrian police and decent Barrow supporters coming forward with evidence for their diligence in trying to identify the scum responsible.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Racist abuse against Shamal George on 11:20 - Oct 15 with 675 viewsTheOldOakTree

Excellent response from the Barrow CEO.

I don’t think Shamal need be too sad. He should be proud that he didn’t just let it go.

From the outcome it is very clear that he stands shoulder to shoulder with decent people who thankfully form the vast majority of the UK and are no longer going to stand back and put up with these criminal offenses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024