Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
F A Cup 18:22 - Oct 15 with 2391 viewsburnsieespana

See we have been allocated ball 12 in Sunday's draw
Chances of us getting Parky's Wrexham?
F A Cup on 19:49 - Oct 15 with 1898 viewsmfb_cufc

Wrexham are away to Marine in the 4th qualifying round first, and we know how good they are.

mfb

F A Cup on 18:45 - Oct 16 with 1823 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup on 19:49 - Oct 15 by mfb_cufc

Wrexham are away to Marine in the 4th qualifying round first, and we know how good they are.

Marine 1 Wrexham 1
Grimsby cruised to another win as did Southend

Sunday at 1pm for the Draw

Up the U's

PS I think we will play Solihull Moors

Durham_exile

F A Cup on 18:53 - Oct 16 with 1824 viewsMoor_Pinot

F A Cup on 18:45 - Oct 16 by durham_exile

Marine 1 Wrexham 1

Up the U's

Sudbury Town!!!!!?

Moor Pinot

F A Cup on 19:49 - Oct 16 with 1813 viewsburnsieespana

Yes pinault saw that result and had same thought myself.
F A Cup on 20:10 - Oct 16 with 1809 viewsGOSBTS

As a Sudbury dweller I am even more excited for tomorrow’s draw, although I am a complete glory hunter as I have never seen them play!
F A Cup on 20:43 - Oct 16 with 1803 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup on 18:45 - Oct 16 by durham_exile

Marine 1 Wrexham 1

Up the U's

Do you think they'll let Coxe play? Hope not

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

F A Cup on 20:50 - Oct 16 with 1800 viewsburnsieespana

Gosbits having lived in Sudbury/Acton I did see them play several times in the late 80's and also went to Wembley when they got to the final of the Vase Cup in 1989 in front of over 26,000!
F A Cup on 21:49 - Oct 16 with 1791 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup on 20:43 - Oct 16 by wessex_exile

Do you think they'll let Coxe play? Hope not

Absolutely right Wessex!

Well we will find out our fate tomorrow!

Up the resurgent youthful U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

F A Cup on 08:23 - Oct 17 with 1754 viewsbwildered

Sudbury Town have in fact played at Layer Rd, when a home was relocated having drawn Brentford in the FA cup, on police / health safety advice. After two Vase finals they merged with Sudbury AFC. This was also repeated with Heybridge Swift’s
With our current home crowd attendance, could see a away draw at AFC Sudbury being no problem gate wise.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

F A Cup on 13:22 - Oct 17 with 1726 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup on 08:23 - Oct 17 by bwildered

Sudbury Town have in fact played at Layer Rd, when a home was relocated having drawn Brentford in the FA cup, on police / health safety advice. After two Vase finals they merged with Sudbury AFC. This was also repeated with Heybridge Swift’s
With our current home crowd attendance, could see a away draw at AFC Sudbury being no problem gate wise.

You got your wish - it's Sudbury chaps, at their place :-)

Up the U's

F A Cup on 13:48 - Oct 17 with 1713 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup on 13:22 - Oct 17 by wessex_exile

You got your wish - it's Sudbury chaps, at their place :-)

I'm already looking forward to the second round draw.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup on 14:26 - Oct 17 with 1703 viewsGOSBTS

F A Cup on 20:50 - Oct 16 by burnsieespana

Gosbits having lived in Sudbury/Acton I did see them play several times in the late 80's and also went to Wembley when they got to the final of the Vase Cup in 1989 in front of over 26,000!

That must have been some sight!! If I remember correctly, did they beat Brighton in an FA Cup round once? Someone in Sainsbury’s was talking to me about it a while ago.

What a cracking tie against the U’s!!
F A Cup on 15:32 - Oct 17 with 1691 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup on 14:26 - Oct 17 by GOSBTS

That must have been some sight!! If I remember correctly, did they beat Brighton in an FA Cup round once? Someone in Sainsbury’s was talking to me about it a while ago.

What a cracking tie against the U’s!!

That would have been Sudbury Town, who merged with Sudbury Wanderers to form AFC Sudbury back in 1999. You're right though, Sudbury Town did beat Brighton in a 1996 FA Cup 1st Round replay (0-0 draw at their place, 1-1 at the Goldstone) - they won 4-3 on penalties.

Up the U's

F A Cup on 17:57 - Oct 17 with 1664 viewsbwildered

Eighth-tier AFC Sudbury, the lowest-ranked side through to the FA Cup first round, have been drawn with Colchester.
Could be a possible live TV encounter .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

F A Cup on 13:57 - Oct 18 with 1573 viewswessex_exile

Reflecting further on the cup draw, I wonder whether Fulham and Ipswich will allow Jasper and Dobra to be available and potentially become cup-tied?

Up the U's

F A Cup on 14:28 - Oct 18 with 1567 viewsthrillseeker

F A Cup on 13:57 - Oct 18 by wessex_exile

Reflecting further on the cup draw, I wonder whether Fulham and Ipswich will allow Jasper and Dobra to be available and potentially become cup-tied?

Dobra should be OK as I believe his loan expires in January 2022 and the farmers will have been knocked by then (well I can hope)
F A Cup on 14:34 - Oct 18 with 1565 viewsmfb_cufc

BBC have been at the AFC Sudbury ground this morning, so there it seems there is every intention of showing the game live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58952162

mfb

F A Cup on 15:41 - Oct 18 with 1561 viewsRSCOSWORTH

F A Cup on 14:34 - Oct 18 by mfb_cufc

BBC have been at the AFC Sudbury ground this morning, so there it seems there is every intention of showing the game live.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58952162

The BBC showed lots of games "live" last season via various methods. Was that a Covid thing does anyone know or something they'll be looking to repeat this season?

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

F A Cup on 19:09 - Oct 18 with 1523 viewsburnsieespana

What a financial opportunity for Sudbury regardless of the result.
Just hope we approach it th.e right way
F A Cup on 22:48 - Oct 18 with 1487 viewsDaniel

Sudbury have a plastic pitch - when was the last time we played on one of those?
F A Cup on 23:28 - Oct 18 with 1475 viewswessex_exile

F A Cup on 22:48 - Oct 18 by Daniel

Sudbury have a plastic pitch - when was the last time we played on one of those?

I'm not certain we ever have played on a synthetic pitch, in anger anyway? Pretty sure the Football League have yet to authorise one, hence Harrogate had to replace theirs on promotion to League 2. Maybe in pre-season friendlies perhaps, but I honestly don't know.

I think I read recently there are some available locally (Shrub End?) if the U's want to train on one, but the modern day hybrid synthetic pitches are a world apart from the truly "plastic" variants of the 80s, and really shouldn't be an excuse for a professional football team. Rather that than a Bedlington Terriers ploughed field.

Up the U's

F A Cup on 08:49 - Oct 19 with 1448 viewsnoah4x4

A few years ago, didn't we play Sutton in the FA Cup on their plastic pitch, now ripped up on their entry to the EFL? I recall going to the game, but can't remember if it was then played on grass.

Edit....on checking....I evidently can't remember much at all!

The records suggest that we have only once played Sutton, then at home, Layer Road, in a 3-4 FA cup defeat, yet I am sure that I once went to Sutton in the FA Cup. My memory is failing and something vague now tells me it was the 2017 Sutton v Arsenal fifth round fixture (0 -2) or another in their run. But who did they play and how did I get tickets? I know who I went with, so I will be making enquiries with my pals en route to Port Vale to eliminate this mystery (I am absent tonight). Or maybe it was a pre-season friendly? Any clues?
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 9:18]
F A Cup on 09:19 - Oct 19 with 1436 viewsRSCOSWORTH

F A Cup on 23:28 - Oct 18 by wessex_exile

I'm not certain we ever have played on a synthetic pitch, in anger anyway? Pretty sure the Football League have yet to authorise one, hence Harrogate had to replace theirs on promotion to League 2. Maybe in pre-season friendlies perhaps, but I honestly don't know.

I think I read recently there are some available locally (Shrub End?) if the U's want to train on one, but the modern day hybrid synthetic pitches are a world apart from the truly "plastic" variants of the 80s, and really shouldn't be an excuse for a professional football team. Rather that than a Bedlington Terriers ploughed field.

Luton, QPR and possibly Preston have all played in the football league with synthetic pitches before the rules changed. And this was back when synthetic pitches were truly terrible. A modern day synthetic surface plays very similar to grass. Most professional teams will probably train on one, especially during the winter months. The new first team rugby pitch at the Northern Gateway is synthetic which shows how far the surface has come over the years. I'm sure the majority of professional footballers would choose that kind of surface over the joke pitch that gets served up by Newport after the rugby team have destroyed it as a playing surface.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

F A Cup on 10:42 - Oct 19 with 1424 viewsdurham_exile

F A Cup on 23:28 - Oct 18 by wessex_exile

I watched us play at Preston and QPR on their plastic pitches way back when.

Up the genuine grass roots U's

Durham_exile

F A Cup on 11:02 - Oct 19 with 1423 viewsnoah4x4

F A Cup on 08:49 - Oct 19 by noah4x4

A few years ago, didn't we play Sutton in the FA Cup on their plastic pitch, now ripped up on their entry to the EFL? I recall going to the game, but can't remember if it was then played on grass.

Edit....on checking....I evidently can't remember much at all!

The records suggest that we have only once played Sutton, then at home, Layer Road, in a 3-4 FA cup defeat, yet I am sure that I once went to Sutton in the FA Cup. My memory is failing and something vague now tells me it was the 2017 Sutton v Arsenal fifth round fixture (0 -2) or another in their run. But who did they play and how did I get tickets? I know who I went with, so I will be making enquiries with my pals en route to Port Vale to eliminate this mystery (I am absent tonight). Or maybe it was a pre-season friendly? Any clues?
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 9:18]

It has all come back to me.....it was FA Cup 2017....but not with the U's.

The U's were dumped 1 - 2 in the first round by Chesterfield. So without a U's fixture in round two, we went to Sutton Utd versus Cheltenham and the underdog home team won 2 - 1, I now remember, them considerably benefitting from their plastic pitch. Cheltenham defenders had real trouble with the extra bounce etc.

Sutton then drew 0-0 and then beat Wimbledon 1 - 3 in the third round replay and then (shock of thr season) dumped Leeds Utd 1-0 once again on their plastic pitch in round four. A full strength Arsenal then struggled to a 0-2 win on their plastic pitch.

I feel that if plastic pitches are not suitable for the EFL, then the same should apply in the FA Cup and National League. We should definitely not be complacent at Sudbury.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024