Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park 12:38 - Oct 23 with 1337 viewsdurham_exile

After taking four points from the last two games HM takes his charges to Burslem to do battle against the Valiants of Port Vale, led by Darrell Clarke.

Table Top 4 and 19th placed teams.

FGR 13 27
Harrogate 13 23
Swindon 13 23
PV 13 22

COL U 12 14

Clearly a difficult game on paper but we don’t have a bad record at Vale Park. I have been many times, though sadly not today, and I have seen a few Colchester victories, normally 2-1.

Port Vale has a big pitch 114 x 77 yards compared to 101 x 64 at the JSCS. The Port Vale pitch also drains well given that it has plenty of old crocks under to aid the drainage.

The injuries are starting to mount up for HM. Alan Judge and Ryan Clampin are out and Cole Skuse has a fitness test prior to the game to ensure his playability.

Junior Tchamadeu is out for three games after his red card was upheld (absolute nonsense) in midweek.

Miles Welch-Hayes is also training again but I don’t think he will start.
Club Captain Tommy Smith has been kept out of the team after his Middle Eastern jaunt but will return today.

Indeed, HM must be bold and brave with his selection,

I would like to see in a 4,3,3:

George

Eastman Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Jasper Tovide Dobra

However, HM will go with:

George

Skuse Wiredu Chilvers

Jasper Sears Nouble

Subs

Turner Coxe Dobra Tovide Kennedy Hannant Cooper

The major difference in the two teams is the front positions. HM has his favourites, but Big Frank is not firing on any cylinders and Freddie Sears has no pace where it matters. I would leave them both on the bench.

Skuse, Wiredu and Chilvers are our best midfield players.

How else is Samson Tovide to gain experience if he is confined to 8-minute cameos (Bonne etc etc)?

Give Tovide 90 minutes and let him scare the PV defenders. On a big pitch both Jasper and Dobra can use their pace on the wings and get the ball into the box for a natural striker like Tovide to benefit.

Weather will be 12 degrees Celsius, cloudy but dry and windy.

No repeat of the Tranmere debacle, take the game to Port Vale, use the width of the pitch and get those crosses into the box.

Safe journey to Wessex, Noah, Mr and Mrs Witham and the rest of the faithful.

Enjoy the game. 2-1 to the Super U’s (Jasper and Tovide)

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 14:04 - Oct 23 with 1309 viewsdurham_exile

Team

George

Wiredu Skuse Chilvers

Hannant Sears Nouble

Subs

Turner Welch-Hayes Jasper Dobra Kennedy
Coxe Tovide

Totally agree with defence and midfield

Forward line total crap

No bravery - failing to play the three youngsters is unforgiveable.

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 14:04]

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:11 - Oct 23 with 1282 viewsdurham_exile

A lot to do now

1-0 down after 6 minutes.

At least we have plenty of time to get the youngsters on

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:21 - Oct 23 with 1265 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:11 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

A lot to do now

1-0 down after 6 minutes.

At least we have plenty of time to get the youngsters on

Now 2-0

Long afternoon ahead.

Shocking

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:24 - Oct 23 with 1258 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 14:04 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Team

George

Wiredu Skuse Chilvers

Hannant Sears Nouble

Subs

Turner Welch-Hayes Jasper Dobra Kennedy
Coxe Tovide

Totally agree with defence and midfield

Forward line total crap

No bravery - failing to play the three youngsters is unforgiveable.

Up the U's
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 14:04]

I've been fearing that we're due a hammering Durham. We change nothing so oppositions will be quick to suss our intentions. Again, no attempt to play our options, just the oap Ipswich grantees. Now we're already one down I fear today's that day. Hope I am wrong.
Up the hopelessly predictable continually declining mismanaged U's!

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:33 - Oct 23 with 1244 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:24 - Oct 23 by Moor_Pinot

I've been fearing that we're due a hammering Durham. We change nothing so oppositions will be quick to suss our intentions. Again, no attempt to play our options, just the oap Ipswich grantees. Now we're already one down I fear today's that day. Hope I am wrong.
Up the hopelessly predictable continually declining mismanaged U's!

I decided against going today.

Very disappointed to see no bravery shown in the line up.

The forward line is and continues to be our downfall.

Now at 2-0 any changes are unlikely to have much impact and in truth we are expecting the youngsters to come on and in 20 mins or less do what the senior pros cannot.

This is neither good enough nor going to bring the home crowds back.

We are becoming the easiest team to select and therefore the opposition must be licking their lips.

Come on try and give the faithful something to cheer.

I have two say that RC's latest statement does nothing for morale.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:37 - Oct 23 with 1238 viewsdurham_exile

I take no pleasure either Pinault in saying that there are two teams worse than us in the league.

We are stagnating, no progress is being made at all. Quite the reverse.

It is agonising.

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:52 - Oct 23 with 1218 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:37 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

I take no pleasure either Pinault in saying that there are two teams worse than us in the league.

It is agonising.

Will HM have the courage to bring on Jasper and Tovide at HT

They can do no worse than Sears and Big Frank

We have it all to do second half

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:54 - Oct 23 with 1217 viewsgerry_us

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:52 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Will HM have the courage to bring on Jasper and Tovide at HT

They can do no worse than Sears and Big Frank

We have it all to do second half

Up the U's

Coffee break and now back to the gardening I think!
Login to get fewer ads

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:06 - Oct 23 with 1201 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:54 - Oct 23 by gerry_us

Coffee break and now back to the gardening I think!

Eastman off Welch-Hayes on

But where are the young strikers please bring Tovide and Jasper on

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:11 - Oct 23 with 1198 viewsgerry_us

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:06 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Eastman off Welch-Hayes on

But where are the young strikers please bring Tovide and Jasper on

Major change of tactics then..take off Mr Reliable.
He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:17 - Oct 23 with 1194 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:37 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

It is agonising.

There are 2 teams worse - at the moment Durham. At the moment!

The game home to Scunthorpe will be illustrative but at the moment I stand by my probably wrong observations which centre on recruiting potential complacents, playing them above the likes of Eastman, Wiredu and Chilvers and not fully enabling Jasper, Dobra, Tovide etc about whom we still know too little. I am afraid that it is more of the Bonne syndrome whatever supporters or the club thought of that player. Consequently we do not adapt nor do we seem prepared. We are simply predictable.

Ultimately what I am witnessing is not as good as last season or at least no better and as such it's damned hard to remain a positive supporter and to keep believing that we could get a run going and aim to finish mid table because frankly we display no current evidence that we can do this...... Or know how.

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:22 - Oct 23 with 1187 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:17 - Oct 23 by Moor_Pinot

There are 2 teams worse - at the moment Durham. At the moment!

The game home to Scunthorpe will be illustrative but at the moment I stand by my probably wrong observations which centre on recruiting potential complacents, playing them above the likes of Eastman, Wiredu and Chilvers and not fully enabling Jasper, Dobra, Tovide etc about whom we still know too little. I am afraid that it is more of the Bonne syndrome whatever supporters or the club thought of that player. Consequently we do not adapt nor do we seem prepared. We are simply predictable.

Ultimately what I am witnessing is not as good as last season or at least no better and as such it's damned hard to remain a positive supporter and to keep believing that we could get a run going and aim to finish mid table because frankly we display no current evidence that we can do this...... Or know how.

Now 3-0

A shambles.

Absolutely shocking.

No change of tactics no bravery no idea
Management abysmal.

Disgraceful

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:24 - Oct 23 with 1181 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:22 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Now 3-0

A shambles.

Absolutely shocking.

Management abysmal.

Disgraceful

Up the U's

Still no changes up front.

Just playing for pride.

A disgrace

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:24 - Oct 23 with 1181 viewsMoor_Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:22 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Now 3-0

A shambles.

Absolutely shocking.

Management abysmal.

Disgraceful

Up the U's

Yes, I'm afraid today is that hammering I feared.
We do not look league standard Durham. You wisely stayed home.

Moor Pinot

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:36 - Oct 23 with 1161 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:24 - Oct 23 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, I'm afraid today is that hammering I feared.
We do not look league standard Durham. You wisely stayed home.

Only now does he bring Tovide on for Sears.

It is so unfair on the youngster who should have started the game

At 3-0 down it will do nothing for his development or confidence.

We are making these teams look better than they are.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:41 - Oct 23 with 1155 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 16:36 - Oct 23 by durham_exile

Only now does he bring Tovide on for Sears.

It is so unfair on the youngster who should have started the game

At 3-0 down it will do nothing for his development or confidence.

We are making these teams look better than they are.

Up the U's

Kennedy on for Skuse

I'm signing off today. Too disappointed to post anything further.

Very sad indeed. We are becoming a laughing stock.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 19:02 - Oct 23 with 1032 viewsnoah4x4

Was good to catch up with Wessex, but that was the only positive during a dismal afternoon. We missed multiple chances and gifted them three goals.

One goal during open play in four months from Sears and Nouble perhaps says everything. Chambers was awful, so why take off Eastman?. George kept the score down to prevent total embarrassment.

I don't think there are two worse sides, but pray that is true.
He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 20:24 - Oct 23 with 944 viewswessex_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 19:02 - Oct 23 by noah4x4

Was good to catch up with Wessex, but that was the only positive during a dismal afternoon. We missed multiple chances and gifted them three goals.

One goal during open play in four months from Sears and Nouble perhaps says everything. Chambers was awful, so why take off Eastman?. George kept the score down to prevent total embarrassment.

I don't think there are two worse sides, but pray that is true.

Likewise Noah, a silver lining on a very dark cloud.

However...

When you get caught dithering about on the edge of your own penalty area not once, but twice (hang your head in shame Chambers) and hand the opposition a two-goal lead inside the first 15 minutes, it's always going to be an uphill struggle. Noah is right, we created at least four clear-cut chances, Hannant's missed header, when there was three of them at the back post, and I reckon he even had time to chest it down for one of the three blast home. Wiredu's near post header was basically an open goal, and he nudged it inches past the post. From our viewpoint at the wrong end of the ground, I counted probably three very good chances to score, not least Frank's tap-in chance - which looked to me like it caught the heel of his marker and just bobbled through to the 'keeper. Others may disagree, but I thought Frank actually had one of his better games today, particularly when he was cutting in from the left during the first half. Nothing much Shamal could do about all three goals, but otherwise he had a good game too - I actually thought in real-time their third (straight from a corner) was an own goal off the back of a U's player's head?

As for Eastman's substitution, he hadn't done much wrong first half, certainly not compared to Chambers, but I got the impression it was a tactical substitution to put MWH into the right back slot, and give us more threat down that flank - and it kind of worked too, just no one in the box to finish things off.

As for Port Vale, they weren't all that if I'm honest. With a generous slice of whatifery, including not dicking about with the ball on the edge of our own penalty area, and players spending time on the training ground actually finishing chances, we could have won that one 3-1 easy.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 22:25 - Oct 23 with 842 viewsnoah4x4

All the three centre halves were guilty of "dicking about" (Wessex language) on the edge of the area, even Eastman, who once passed straight to their centre forward but recovered. We are just not good enough for that and it results in such a slow build up that we get to the half way line, find no outlet and the ball gets returned to George. We need a midfield playmaker like a Kevin Watson to offer a quicker attacking outlet, but Skuse, Chilvers and Hannant are too defensive, yet Hannant left Chambers repeatedly exposed on our right flank. Mullins was correct to bring on Welch Hayes, but should have subbed Chambers rather than Eastman.

It seems to me as if Sears, Nouble, Hannant and Judge have been forced upon Mullins by Humes and De Souza, and there is little cohesion between them. They look like square pegs in round holes. That is a tough assignment for our inexperienced manager. Not bringing on Jasper was inexplicable, unless he had decided that the game was long lost and he is being saved for Tuesday.

Agree with Wessex, Nouble was far more effective wide, but Sears isn't a number 9 so one resolution creates another dilemma. Sears looked pretty outraged when subbed, but it is self evident this combination of forwards simply doesn't work (one goal in four months). Encouraged to see Kennedy and Tovide involved, but I reserve judgment. They had little time to prove themselves and Tovide seemed to be out of position with Nouble back at #9. I think better managers than Mullins might struggle to overcome these basic personnel issues. But I feel Nouble and Sears should not play together. Either should be wide, and neither at #9. Where is Michael Folivi?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 22:28]
He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 23:42 - Oct 23 with 804 viewsdurham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 22:25 - Oct 23 by noah4x4

All the three centre halves were guilty of "dicking about" (Wessex language) on the edge of the area, even Eastman, who once passed straight to their centre forward but recovered. We are just not good enough for that and it results in such a slow build up that we get to the half way line, find no outlet and the ball gets returned to George. We need a midfield playmaker like a Kevin Watson to offer a quicker attacking outlet, but Skuse, Chilvers and Hannant are too defensive, yet Hannant left Chambers repeatedly exposed on our right flank. Mullins was correct to bring on Welch Hayes, but should have subbed Chambers rather than Eastman.

It seems to me as if Sears, Nouble, Hannant and Judge have been forced upon Mullins by Humes and De Souza, and there is little cohesion between them. They look like square pegs in round holes. That is a tough assignment for our inexperienced manager. Not bringing on Jasper was inexplicable, unless he had decided that the game was long lost and he is being saved for Tuesday.

Agree with Wessex, Nouble was far more effective wide, but Sears isn't a number 9 so one resolution creates another dilemma. Sears looked pretty outraged when subbed, but it is self evident this combination of forwards simply doesn't work (one goal in four months). Encouraged to see Kennedy and Tovide involved, but I reserve judgment. They had little time to prove themselves and Tovide seemed to be out of position with Nouble back at #9. I think better managers than Mullins might struggle to overcome these basic personnel issues. But I feel Nouble and Sears should not play together. Either should be wide, and neither at #9. Where is Michael Folivi?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2021 22:28]

A tale of woe.

I have long argued for Tovide Jasper and Dobra to play up front.

Folivi isn't even a U's player and an Achilles injury can be long term.

I was hoping that we would in time re-sign Folivi but that may not be until January.

If HM will not drop Sears and Big Frank and won't play the youngsters then it will be a long hard season.

I am heartily sick of these poor results. We are making these teams look better than they are and frankly we are becoming an easy touch for teams to suss out.

My next game that I can get to is Walsall. That is a long way off and if we continue to carry on in this vein then we will be bottom two.

RC is presiding over a team that is only going one way.
It is simply not good enough.

The supporters deserve much better.

HM has plenty of experience but seems clueless when selecting the side and failing to play our pacy youngsters.

I am incandescent with rage.

This is appalling.

Up the U's

Sack the board.

Durham_exile

He who would Valiant be - Super U's to prevail at Vale Park on 15:53 - Oct 25 with 507 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The same fans who have spent the last few seasons moaning about our youth policy on Facebook are now moaning about the experienced players and calling for the younger and more inexperienced players to be given a go! For me it's about getting the balance right, there was a time when the squad was far too young and inexperienced and now it's probably a bit too old and struggling with the rigours of playing Saturday, Tuesday in League Two. I was one of those who was pretty pleased with our transfer business pre-season. Chambers, Sears, Skuse, Nouble, Judge and Hannant are all experienced players who have done well at League Two, League One and above in some cases but for some reason something hasn't clicked and so far not one of them is proving to be a good signing. When you sign half a starting XI and they're all struggling for form results are only going to go one way sadly. We need to turn it around and sooner rather than later.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024