Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell 20:08 - Oct 25 with 1627 viewsGOSBTS

Evening all,

On Wednesday at 2pm Sir Bob Russell is teaming up with History Indoors to talk about the campaign to raise funds for a statue to the Taylor sisters, the authors of one of the world’s best loved nursery rhymes, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.

The talk will be held online on Zoom. Tickets are free and available through Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-taylor-sisters-and-twinkle-twinkle-little-sta

Would be lovely to see as many of you current and exiled Colcestrians there as possible!

Best wishes,
GOSBTS
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 07:27 - Oct 26 with 1555 viewsnoah4x4

Twinkle twinkle little star,
We're disappointed no fans bar,
Middle of nowhere, a walk too far,
To follow the U's you need a car.

Arrive 60 minutes before things start,
No burger van or catering cart.
At least you can get a jab,
But if no car, you need a cab.

Twinkle twinkle little star.
Has Cowling gone ga ga?
Tony Humes and De Souza,
Nothing open, no local boozer,
Still no goals, a team of losers.

Twinkle Twinkle little star,
I'll still turn up, I'll travel far.
In my brain still burning bright,
I dream of promotion, not relegation fight.
But will it be more shite tonight?
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 07:52 - Oct 26 with 1550 viewsthrillseeker

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 07:27 - Oct 26 by noah4x4

Has Cowling gone ga ga?
Tony Humes and De Souza,

Outstanding effort
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 08:30 - Oct 26 with 1540 viewsTheOldOakTree

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 07:27 - Oct 26 by noah4x4

Has Cowling gone ga ga?
Tony Humes and De Souza,

That’s brilliant!

I can see a series of Noah’s alternative childrens nursery rhymes…..

Little Jack Horner sat in the corner, (he wanted to be on the half-way line, but that’s not his bubble)

Star Light, Star Bright, The beer’s shite,

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, or anything else for that matter as there’s no catering vans.

Ba Ba Black lives matter

Robbie, Robbie, Quite Contrary

Little Tommy Tucker, and Humes the useless …..

The list must be endless
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 09:42 - Oct 26 with 1514 viewsbwildered

Our very own Poet Laureate.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 14:54 - Oct 26 with 1457 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 09:42 - Oct 26 by bwildered

Our very own Poet Laureate.

Did you see the bloke on Tipping Point that thought Homer had written epic poetry referencing Doughnuts rather than Nectar and Ambrosia? Doh, the Simpsons have forever changed the face of culture.

But if we do get a statue (or memorial) for the writers of Twinkle Twinkle, what about Humpty Dumpty and Daniel Defoe?
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 15:24 - Oct 26 with 1446 viewsmfb_cufc

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 14:54 - Oct 26 by noah4x4

Did you see the bloke on Tipping Point that thought Homer had written epic poetry referencing Doughnuts rather than Nectar and Ambrosia? Doh, the Simpsons have forever changed the face of culture.

But if we do get a statue (or memorial) for the writers of Twinkle Twinkle, what about Humpty Dumpty and Daniel Defoe?

Surely a statue for Tony Humes comes before them. Sponsored by mywayistherightway.com

mfb

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 16:55 - Oct 26 with 1426 viewsTheOldOakTree

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 15:24 - Oct 26 by mfb_cufc

Surely a statue for Tony Humes comes before them. Sponsored by mywayistherightway.com

At least the pigeons would have somewhere to sit and thereby his time at Colchester wouldn't have been a complete waste of time.
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 09:45 - Oct 27 with 1342 viewsGOSBTS

Morning all,

Noah, what a cracking alternative! Very creative, hats off to you. Will we be able to sneak it into the talk? Who knows!

Just a reminder that the talk is this afternoon at 2pm. It’s free and all are welcome. Here’s the direct link to it: https://essex-university.zoom.us/j/98970404732
Login to get fewer ads

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 08:22 - Oct 29 with 1279 viewsnoah4x4

Fans bar and fan zone to reopen Saturday, whilst Robbie claims to be humming some tunes. Maybe Robbie also has a sense of humour.
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 11:30 - Oct 29 with 1250 viewsGOSBTS

For anyone who missed the talk with Sir Bob and would like to watch back, it is now on YouTube:

He even makes a passing reference (and appreciation) to your very humorous version Noah!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 11:31]
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 13:53 - Oct 29 with 1220 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 11:30 - Oct 29 by GOSBTS

For anyone who missed the talk with Sir Bob and would like to watch back, it is now on YouTube:

He even makes a passing reference (and appreciation) to your very humorous version Noah!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2021 11:31]

The reference (just after 40 minutes) is to the plagarism and the rewriting of Twinkle Twinkle by eminent writers such as Lewis Carroll, whilst Sir Bob observed that my effort humorously made observations upon the ".....appalling record of Colchester United" (his words not mine). If he doesn't raise enough money for the statue, I am happy to donate my cardboard cut-out as a cheaper option.

Whilst I was aware of the town's Daniel Defoe connection and Tubswick, I didn't know that Moll Flanders was a barmaid at the Dog & Pheasant and that Sir Bob wanted to name the Northern Approach Road, Moll Flanders Way. Nor that Colchester has more female statues than any other town. Was a very interesting talk.

We perhaps need to promulgate a myth that rubbing the breasts of the giant woman statue in the High Street brings prosperity and good fortune as I think Sir Bob is onto something that our artistic heritage is a way forward to attract more tourism. After all, Stratford on Avon has only Shakespeare. We have the Taylor Sisters, Twinkle, Twinkle, Humpty Dumpy, Old King Cole, Daniel Defoe, the world's most loathed statue and me. Oh, and First Site.
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 20:06 - Oct 29 with 1179 viewsburnsieespana

Twinkle twinkle ...sung on Coronation Street tonight!
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 20:58 - Oct 29 with 1167 viewsGOSBTS

Many thanks for watching Noah, really appreciate it and am very glad you enjoyed the talk. I agree with your points about Colchester. The town is replete with Roman, Norman and Civil War history. It could market itself even better as Britain’s First City, as well as nursery rhyme and (perhaps) women’s statue capital of the UK. I should add that we haven’t empirical proof that Colchester has more statues of women than any other major town or city - but the density (and ratio of female:male statues) must make it a serious contender. In today’s society Colchester ought to be shouting about this.

In my few years living in this region I’ve always felt that tourism-wise the town is a sleeping giant!
Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 23:50 - Oct 29 with 1156 viewsnoah4x4

Colchester’s Twinkle Little Star statue talk with Sir Bob Russell on 20:06 - Oct 29 by burnsieespana

Twinkle twinkle ...sung on Coronation Street tonight!

......including the Lewis Carroll version, Twinkle Twinkle little bat.

Just a shame Rita Fairclough isn't a U's fan. She might have sung my version.

Fans bar open tomorrow. Just hope they have a decent guest ale and not merely Green King IPA or lager. Suppose cider is an option.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024