Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's 00:10 - Dec 5 with 999 viewsdurham_exile

Sunday afternoon at 1230pm will give the biggest indication yet as to whether Colchester’s season has been transformed when Wigan Athletic come to Town for their FA Cup Second Round match.

After a deserved victory at the County Ground (can we play you every week) and progression in the PJT to the Quarter Final South where the U’s will travel to Gander Green Lane to play Sutton United, the U’s are enjoying a potential Cup Run on two fronts.

Make no mistake Wigan, led by Leam Richardson, will provide a stiff challenge, but they are not unbeatable and I believe that we can defeat them at Sunday lunchtime.

Wigan are definitely aiming for League One promotion and whatever they say to the contrary that is their principal concern. Now they were dealt a blow when Charlie Wyke suffered a cardiac arrest in training and Richardson and the Club doctor saved his life. We wish Charlie a speedy return to football however that is unlikely before the new Year. Then Scott Smith suffered a broken leg at the penalty shoot out win at Accrington on Tuesday evening.

They will also have Gavin Massey in the matchday squad, but I think he will warm the bench and be brought on with 20 minutes or so to play. More importantly they have Will Keane and Callum Lang who are both in sparkling form up front and must be well marshalled.

Still the winners tomorrow will be through to Round Three and a potential televised money spinner against one of the elite.

Now HM is looking forward to the game and arguably it is his biggest game since taking over at the helm for the U’s. Setting up is going to be crucial.

Now I have little word on our injury situation and so do not know whether Brendan Wiredu is fit or not.

HM will be mindful of the power that the Latics possess and I’m not talking about Max their influential midfield player and another ex-Sunderland player. They have classy players all over the pitch, but they struggled at Solihull and needed penalties at Accrington. The U’s must show them some respect but certainly no fear and we must be on our mettle from the start.

The team selection is crucial, HM needs the balance of experience and youth to gel from the outset.

I reckon that he wants to plump for the following:

Turner

MWH Chambers Smith Daniels

Skuse Chilvers Hannant

Judge

Jasper Sears

Subs:

Gerken Tchamadeu Cooper McCoulsky Tovide Dobra Nouble

I think that Luke Hannant is at last showing the ability that we were promised when he signed from Cambridge and that he is now well and truly over his COVID infection.

Dobra struck me as too lightweight the other evening and I would prefer to deploy him from the bench preferring Syl Jasper and Freddie Sears up front.

Whilst Wigan must be watched carefully HM must avoid setting up too defensively because that is not the way to defeat them. Be bold, take the game to Wigan and be prepared for plenty of duals all over the pitch.

Obviously if Brendan Wiredu is fit then he would come in instead of Hannant but otherwise I am happy with the selection as shown above.

The weather is scheduled to be mostly cloudy and some sunny spells with 6 degrees Celsius and very little precipitation. Ideal for football.

I am relieved to be back in the land of electricity power after suffering 93 hours without energy, broadband, land line and mobile telephone from Friday until Tuesday evening last week. Sadly, some people in the dales only had power restored at the weekend and it was grim for them all. Northern Power grid had 219,000 customers without power following Storm Arwen across Northumberland, Co Durham whilst Cumbria was also badly affected and of course much North of the Border too.

Indeed, I was fortunate to be able to watch the Swindon game at my son’s on Tuesday evening before returning home to a warm house after four days (although I slept in my house each night to ensure that it was ok in the conditions).

Good to hear that Wessex is attending the JSCS for the match and I hope that he enjoys the game. I am predicting a keenly fought close game with the U’s prevailing 3-2 in a classic. Charlie Daniels at long last scoring a 30 yarder to support Sears and Jasper.

Let us hope for a decent crowd and enjoy the game and extended highlights on BBC. Round Three here we come.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 08:42 - Dec 5 with 955 viewsnoah4x4

Sunday morning, mild hangover (no Saturday football meant drinking from 1400 to 2330) but am ready for the biggest day of the season at the Jobswerve Stadium. It's new name reflects the apparent recruitment crisis, resulting in few facilities being open and excessive queues, but no access to a half time pie will benefit my diet. Wonder if the Dophin chippy will be open, else a North Station Road kebab must do.

Never felt so optimistic about a second round FA Cup tie. Indeed, it is rare to even be in the second round. The Magnet is opening early. So shall I have a pre-match pint or start later? Music down the Victoria Inn at 17:30. Could be a record breaking weekend binge. Win or lose, so much to look forward to. Long lie in to recover tomorrow, exciting or what? Come on you U's!
Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 09:10 - Dec 5 with 952 viewsbwildered

Remember Wigan’s first visit to Layer Rd when first becoming a league club, beating us with the then player manager Larry Lloyd playing a blinder at the back marshalling the defence, turning to the Spion Kop at the final whistle, with some signs which would showed anyone first steps of learning any sign language, after he had been constantly barracked throughout.
Solihull have showed us that they can be matched, with two decent performances in the previous round. A Exeter performance required by all, ball retention will be paramount. Sadly the bench will not be strong enough with striking power so those selected will need to take our chances .
Is there a unlikely hero out there ?
Can we hold on to ball 51 ?
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 9:30]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 11:44 - Dec 5 with 914 viewsdurham_exile

Team

Turner

Tchamadeu Chambers Smith Coxe

Skuse Chilvers

Judge

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs
Gerken Wiredu McClousky Daniels Hutchinson, Marshall Miranda, Tovide Cooper
Beadle

Great to see Brendan back albeit on the bench.

Come on the U's we can win this today.#

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:11 - Dec 5 with 908 viewsMoor_Pinot

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 11:44 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Team

Turner

Tchamadeu Chambers Smith Coxe

Skuse Chilvers

Judge

Jasper Sears Dobra

Subs
Gerken Wiredu McClousky Daniels Hutchinson, Marshall Miranda, Tovide Cooper
Beadle

Great to see Brendan back albeit on the bench.

Come on the U's we can win this today.#

Up the U's

We've been a bit better lately Durham, still unconvincing, but better. The return of Wiredu is a good thing and I hope he'll play at Bradford which will be the best test of whether Mullins is beginning to create a team that will get us up the league a few places. These two away league games are as crucial as the surprise four points last week from the two home ones.

Moor Pinot

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:28 - Dec 5 with 897 viewsmfb_cufc

Teams:-

Colchester: Turner, Chambers, Smith, Skuse, Judge, Sears, Chilvers, Jasper, Dobra, Tchamadey, Coxe
Subs: Gerken, Wiredy, Hutchinson, McCoulsky, Daniels, Miranda, Tovide, Cooper, Beadle

Latics: Jones; Kerr, Whatmough, Watts; Massey, Power (Capt), Cousins, Pearce; Lang, Keane; Humphrys
Subs: Amos, Naylor, Edwards, Jones, Tilt, Bayliss, McClean, Darikwa, Aasgaard

mfb

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:37 - Dec 5 with 895 viewsdurham_exile

Plymouth have just taken the lead at Rochdale.

The cross was no better than we deliver but the header was sublime.
If and when we sign a centre forward then we can enjoy similar moments.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:59 - Dec 5 with 885 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:37 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Plymouth have just taken the lead at Rochdale.

The cross was no better than we deliver but the header was sublime.
If and when we sign a centre forward then we can enjoy similar moments.

Up the U's

Lang scores after 24 minutes.

Come on the U's

Get into them

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:09 - Dec 5 with 881 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 12:59 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Lang scores after 24 minutes.

Come on the U's

Get into them

Next goal vital

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:26 - Dec 5 with 873 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:09 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Next goal vital

Come on the U's

He's here he's there he's every f88king where Freddie Sears

Get in
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:55 - Dec 5 with 855 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:26 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

He's here he's there he's every f88king where Freddie Sears

Get in
Come on the U's

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 14:09 - Dec 5 with 845 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 13:55 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Come on the U's

11 mins plus stoppage time.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 14:26 - Dec 5 with 828 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 14:09 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

11 mins plus stoppage time.

Come on the U's

Well played the U's

Unlucky not to force a replay.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 15:14 - Dec 5 with 808 viewsMoor_Pinot

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 14:26 - Dec 5 by durham_exile

Well played the U's

Unlucky not to force a replay.

Up the U's

Yes, not much in it was there.
Shouldn't have an adverse impact on the Bradford game!?

Moor Pinot

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:21 - Dec 5 with 776 viewsbwildered

Despite the score, a really good display by the U’s today. The experience ex Tractors showed their worth. The inexperience on the bench for alternatives came to haunt us for plan B at the end after Skuse and Judge had been replaced. The visitors having a touch more quality, especially in the 18 yard box.
A special mention for both sides and spectators who stopped playing for the six minute.

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:25 - Dec 5 with 772 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:21 - Dec 5 by bwildered

Despite the score, a really good display by the U’s today. The experience ex Tractors showed their worth. The inexperience on the bench for alternatives came to haunt us for plan B at the end after Skuse and Judge had been replaced. The visitors having a touch more quality, especially in the 18 yard box.
A special mention for both sides and spectators who stopped playing for the six minute.

Yes the the tragic needless death of a little boy rightly puts everything into perspective.

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:50 - Dec 5 with 762 viewsnoah4x4

Gate 2086

Non-league Kidderminster versus non league Halifax 4000+

Where is the romance of the FA Cup in North Essex?

Cowling needs to listen to the fans……
Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 18:34 - Dec 5 with 746 viewsgerry_us

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:50 - Dec 5 by noah4x4

Gate 2086

Non-league Kidderminster versus non league Halifax 4000+

Where is the romance of the FA Cup in North Essex?

Cowling needs to listen to the fans……

Maybe most of our supporters were still in church this morning?
Now my "second team" Chessie through to round 3. Well done guys.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 19:13]
Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 19:17 - Dec 5 with 722 viewswessex_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 17:21 - Dec 5 by bwildered

Just got back via a stopover in Watford to see my brother-in-law before he heads back to Ireland. Echo that bwildered, thought the U's played very well, much better than our 'illustrious' opponents for much of the game. Lack of sharpness in the box compared to Wigan was the real difference, that and a thoroughly shocking referee - no shame in that defeat though.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 20:00 - Dec 6 with 588 viewsdurham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 19:17 - Dec 5 by wessex_exile

Just got back via a stopover in Watford to see my brother-in-law before he heads back to Ireland. Echo that bwildered, thought the U's played very well, much better than our 'illustrious' opponents for much of the game. Lack of sharpness in the box compared to Wigan was the real difference, that and a thoroughly shocking referee - no shame in that defeat though.

A local derby Wigan v Blackburn in Round Three

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Latics to fall off the Pier against the rejuvenated Super U's on 08:40 - Dec 7 with 542 viewsbwildered

Vote for the best goal of the FA Cup second round on BBC Sport website .
Freddie Sears goal against Wigan is on the list.
Also on list is ex U’s Tom Lapsie ‘s brother George goal for Mansfield .

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024