Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's my club not your club 20:46 - Jan 15 with 1338 viewsDaniel

I recall some time ago that I said I had once heard Robbie Cowling say this to supporters and people found it unbelievable, well there's now a video going round on twitter and he's used those exact words again 🤬

https://mobile.twitter.com/elliot_1937/status/1482432702955626498
It's my club not your club on 21:01 - Jan 15 with 1328 viewsgerry_us

It's difficult to argue the case when you try to estimate how much he has put in to the club since he became the Chairman. Any ideas Daniel?
The only difficulty is imagining where we would be if he had not invested much of his companies operating profits and probably much of his own money.
I certainly would not take issue with anyone making that statement having kept us afloat over many years.
Personally I feel somewhat indebted to the Chairman that "my" football club still exists. All we need now is results.
It's my club not your club on 21:26 - Jan 15 with 1308 viewswessex_exile

It's my club not your club on 21:01 - Jan 15 by gerry_us

It's difficult to argue the case when you try to estimate how much he has put in to the club since he became the Chairman. Any ideas Daniel?
The only difficulty is imagining where we would be if he had not invested much of his companies operating profits and probably much of his own money.
I certainly would not take issue with anyone making that statement having kept us afloat over many years.
Personally I feel somewhat indebted to the Chairman that "my" football club still exists. All we need now is results.

Exactly that Gerry. Whilst no doubt inflammatory to those who are already against Robbie Cowling, I shudder to think were we might be without the investment from his businesses and indeed his own pocket. But, if the hate campaign keeps going, we may well find out soon enough.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

It's my club not your club on 21:46 - Jan 15 with 1289 viewsDaniel

My feelings have always been the same. I don't want Cowling out of my club, I just want him to respect its supporters.

A club is nothing without its supporters, but we have a chairman who thinks otherwise.He's just a custodian.

To use a heritage analogy, a multimillionaire can own a grand listed building, but it's never theirs, it's an asset of the people.
It's my club not your club on 21:56 - Jan 15 with 1275 viewsGOSBTS

It’s a tough one. I genuinely believe Robbie cares deeply about the club. Given the context of the video, I don’t think he was wrong in what he said per se. However, I’m not sure he always realises how he comes across in comments like this and his numerous club statements. It’s very “I, I, I”, rather than “we”. I get the impression that the structure of the club leaves him to make the vast majority of decisions and come up with the ideas, from football to matchday. He’s almost too involved in the club and takes sole responsibility for the big and small decisions, which leads to events such as today and the backlash about the seating policy.

I wonder if he’d benefit from having a Chief Executive who is the day to day frontman of the club. We have this at Brighton in Paul Barber. Our chairman is lifetime fan Tony Bloom and he has all the money. Paul is in charge of the way the club runs day to day. Over the years, this has led to a very slick model but also has led to Paul, not Tony, copping the flack for unpopular non-football related decisions, which is probably a lot healthier.

The Col U model reminds me of Bloom’s predecessor, Dick Knight. He was both the man with the money and the man making all the decisions. He undoubtedly saved us as a club, but was similar to Robbie in trying to be in control of too much.

I’m sure there’s other clubs similar to us where the model works fine. However, for Robbie’s sake, being a slightly less hands on chairman (but still financially backing the club) may help his reputation and allow a CEO who can manage PR take a prominent role.
[Post edited 15 Jan 2022 21:59]
It's my club not your club on 22:04 - Jan 15 with 1261 viewswessex_exile

It's my club not your club on 21:46 - Jan 15 by Daniel

My feelings have always been the same. I don't want Cowling out of my club, I just want him to respect its supporters.

A club is nothing without its supporters, but we have a chairman who thinks otherwise.He's just a custodian.

To use a heritage analogy, a multimillionaire can own a grand listed building, but it's never theirs, it's an asset of the people.

Actually you’re wrong. Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and the like are all owned by individuals and/or organisations. The heritage assets are all to one degree or another protected by legislation, and for the most part nurtured by their owners, but they are still the owners, even if acting as custodians. The emotional aspect for football clubs is of course they are actively ‘supported’ by members of the local community, but without the (financial) custodianship of the owner, where are we?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

It's my club not your club on 07:51 - Jan 17 with 1046 viewsthrillseeker

BBC Essex just had an interview with the fan who was in video speaking to RC.

Although not a big fan of RC I have to say the interview was a car crash - a waste of 15 minutes of my life
It's my club not your club on 08:44 - Jan 17 with 1024 viewsWitham

We are all disappointed with our current position, and it is disappointing to hear Mullins refer to us needing to avoid relegation with still so many games to go - we wouldn't have been the only team to stage a late run and get into the playoffs but not with this mentality.
Robbie isn't the problem - who are we to criticise when between us we can't raise money for the projects we've put on the dashboard !
Get real guys.
At the beginning of the season our away form, although not winning, was terrific - bodies on the line, blocks, and a desire to keep a clean sheet. That's gone, and I don't know why. What I do know is that sometimes you have to match words with deeds - we were told, and are still being told, we're going to get a goal-scorer but it's yet to happen.

We need positivity and a bit of drive being shown by the management team - it was the Barrow Manager booked on Saturday for "having a go at the ref" but no sign of Mullins expressing the same anger - or entering the pitch afterwards to thank us all for attending.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024