Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! 13:58 - Jan 18 with 1726 viewsdurham_exile

I was privileged to attend the FA Youth Cup 4th Round Match at St James’s Park Newcastle last evening. Privileged because I watched a young team who matched their more illustrious counterparts all the way and but for some unfortunate missed opportunities would have forced extra time.

Originally the match was to be played at Newcastle’s training ground, but the switch was an inspired idea and both teams produced a spectacle worthy of the 55,000-seater stadium.

This was my first match at St James’ Park since 1970 when I watched an FA Amateur Cup Semi Final between Enfield and Blyth Spartans (which Enfield won 2-0 in front of 18,000). Last night there were only 1,279 and a handful of the faithful, but we were all treated to great entertainment.

It was a dry cold night, ideal for football.

Parking was a cinch. I parked at the Stadium Car park about 50 yards from the ground. I paid £2.40 but I reckon that payment was probably unnecessary after 6pm but admission to the stadium was only £1. This was all overshadowed by an £8.50 Cheeseburger and Coffee. In fairness the burger was quite good and the coffee decent.

I went to the Platinum Entrance to enquire about which part of the ground was open and was told that the East Stand was open and that there was no segregation. I picked up a Team Sheet though. In fairness the Toon were fairly accommodating and the Chief Steward assured me that they would intervene if I suffered any abuse. I was of course wearing my Blue and White stripes as were the players!

I was also able to move from one end of the ground to the other to ensure I saw all the U’s attacking intent in both halves. The floodlights must be some of the brightest at any stadium and it was like daylight as the players walked out onto the immaculate playing surface. I must say that I do sympathise with Away fans for league games because they are forced to sit in the Gods and I was pleased that I didn’t have to don my crampons and instead enjoyed the view from base camp.

Colchester are managed by Liam Bailey and they lined up with only one familiar face to me.

Endurance Johnson

Ellis Sullivan, Bradley Chakawa, Frankie Terry, Freddie Price

Jaden Drakes-Thomas, Ryan Lowe, Kacy Parish

Kai Redgrave, Kaan Bennett

Samson Tovide

Subs:
Namory Kane, Bayan Aman, Bradley Ihionvien, Matt Yates, Darnell Asare-Williams, T’aizo Marcel-Delaver, Jaime Tedaldi

Samson Tovide may only have a handful of minutes and games under his belt for the first team, but he was assured and positive last night and should have scored a hattrick.

Newcastle led by Pater Ramage sported their talisman Jay Turner-Cooke who was formerly a Sunderland hero but when they sacked his father both father and son made the move to the Toon from the Mackems.

As you would imagine Newcastle settled quickly and took the game to Colchester. The pace was unrelenting early on and both sides looked to stamp their authority on the game.

Newcastle took the lead on 12 minutes after a bit of pinball in the Colchester box led to the ball going in unluckily off Chakawa. However, we were not dismayed and played some very good fast open flowing football. Captain Ryan Lowe is set to be a star of the future. Tall and confident on the ball he often broke up attacks and created space for our forward-looking players.

Freddie Price left back is rapid and looks like Jack Grealish in that he wears his socks around his ankles and has mini shin pads. He was keen to get forward and delivered some decent crosses.

Chakawa at Centre back was uncertain early on and was booked after a robust challenge but soon settled down to the match. Samson Tovide had a great header well saved by Max Thompson in the Newcastle goal. Samson then scored with a sublime header only to have it chalked off for offside.

A pattern of the game were the number of injuries to Newcastle players. The trainer was employed 8 times during the game and they had to make three substitutes for injuries including one player stretchered off.

The referee Mr Westgate handled things with aplomb and kept the game flowing where he could. Regrading stoppages there was 4 minutes added on at half time and 13 minutes at the end of the game but more of that to come.

Right-on half-time Frankie Terry should have equalised when played through and on his favoured left foot, but he put the ball wide of the right-hand post.

I moved to the Gallowgate end of the ground for the second half where Colchester were attacking.

The first few minutes were like the last of the first half Colchester pressing for that elusive equaliser but then Newcastle secured a second goal and shortly afterwards when attempting to play out from the back we gave the ball away and it was suddenly three NIL.

Cue a Colchester come back. Bradley Ihionvien and T’aizo Marcel-Delaver entered the fray and we looked sharper and more fluid. The Newcastle trainer was still making regular forays onto the pitch to attend to stricken players but from a sweeping move the ball was crossed from the left and Tovide struck to give us some hope on 75 minutes. Newcastle started to retreat and there were plenty of hoofed clearances which came back with interest from the U’s.

As the clock wound down it was obvious that there would be a generous amount of time mainly for Newcastle injuries a stretchered off player and some time wasting from Thompson in goal.

Incidentally the Colchester physio was only need once and that for cramp to Price.

The board indicated 11 minutes, but another injury meant that we played 13 minutes. When Marcel-Delaver bundled the ball into the net on 92 minutes confidence coursed through the players veins and Newcastle grew more desperate. Clearances were hurried there were two or three instances of hand bags and the crowd grew restless.
In truth we should have equalised, but it wasn’t to be.

So, 3-2 and the players were not disgraced. They are the future of the club and the following should all get their opportunity in the first team when the time arises; Freddie Price, Ryan Lowe, Frankie Terry, Bradley Ihionvien, T’aizo Marcel-Delaver plus of course Samson Tovide who will only get stronger.

So much for the young heroes, what are we going to do with the first team?

Frankly the Barrow game must be rock bottom as far as performances are concerned. Surely!!!

Tonight, we travel once again to Gander Green Lane to do battle with this season’s surprise package Sutton United.

Now HM must be drinking at the last chance saloon. Additional players have been brought in, but performances and results are not improving. RC’s statements are becoming more and more desperate and the faithful are restless. Only Scunny and Oldham are worse than Colchester and the league table doesn’t lie.

We simply have to start getting points and scoring goals.

Table:
Stevenage 25 -18 24
COL U 23 -15 22
Scunny 25 -25 19
Oldham 24 -17 18

After Saturday I have officially given up on the madness to believe that we could make the top seven. That has now gone and instead it is all about finishing in the top half of the table. Fact.

Half way through the season and we are struggling with an incompetent manager, clueless Directors and an ailing Chairman. Things are grim indeed. In fact, it makes it all the more galling when I see the future in those Academy players and wonder if they will ply their trade in the league or non-league. We have a decent stadium, training facilities, but are becoming a laughing stock.

On Saturday I am heading to Salford for a vital match but in truth they are all vital now. 23 games to save the club (again).

Does HM know his strongest team notwithstanding the fact that the additional players are still finding their feet. We are struggling again with another manager who has added nothing to the team, performances, or results.

Do we play three or five at the back, do we play only two holding midfielders, do we play two up front and do we play with width and a winger or two. Can we get the best out of the players?

I don’t think the five at the back works, let’s try 4,3,3 and see whether we can inspire a victory against Sutton United.

Turner

Tchamadeu Eastman Chambers Dallison

Skuse Chilvers Wiredu

Sears Andrews Edwards

Subs
Gerken Huws Daniels Coxe Hannant Eastman Judge

I’m not saying it is the answer, but we’ve brought in players so let’s play them and see what happens. Clearly defensive formations are not stopping the rot so take the game to the opposition. The youngsters played without fear, perhaps we can instil the first team to do the same.

A cold night at Sutton 3 degrees Celsius and cloudy but no rain.

The faithful will be there, perhaps not in force, but the diehards will turn out.

I think that we will prevail 2-1 in a close game, but the confidence that will come from such a win will stand us in good stead for the journey to Salford on Saturday.

Oh and I can’t even watch the game on iFollow because Sutton have decide not to screen the game. Still that might be a blessing in disguise!

Safe journey.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 5 Feb 2022 10:33]

Durham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:44 - Jan 18 with 735 viewsdurham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:42 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

Thank goodness we don't have to play them anymore this season

I don't believe it

Absolutely loathe Sutton.

We go again at Salford

This is shocking

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:45 - Jan 18 with 729 viewsBFG

Sleepwalking into relegation still. Mullins is hopeless
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:47 - Jan 18 with 713 viewsdurham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:45 - Jan 18 by BFG

Sleepwalking into relegation still. Mullins is hopeless

HM must be sacked otherwise we are doomed.

But who will come to the club?

Very disappointing to say the least.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:51 - Jan 18 with 703 viewsdurham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:47 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

HM must be sacked otherwise we are doomed.

But who will come to the club?

Very disappointing to say the least.

Up the U's

I am devastated

Things can only get better.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:55 - Jan 18 with 689 viewsburnsieespana

Will Mullins and Dyer have the courage to resign or has RC the courage to sack them and quickly bring somebody else in?
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:56 - Jan 18 with 684 viewswessex_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:51 - Jan 18 by durham_exile

I am devastated

Things can only get better.

Up the U's

Gutted - things have to get better, because they can't get any worse. We've reached the point (again) that we have to rely on Scunnie and Oldham being worse than us. Fortunately, they still are, but how long might that last - hopefully until early May.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:05 - Jan 18 with 666 viewsnoah4x4

Smith simply awful. Eastman got on the pitch 90 minutes too late.

Mullins tactically inept. Sat back at 2-1, then dug in even deeper at 2-2. Sutton simply lobbed hand grenades towards our goal. We cannot defend aerial balls and the final outcome was predictable.

Edwards and Huws did offer a little encouragement compared to Coxe and Hannant, but until we can hold the ball up in the opposition half or at least get two attackers together into threatening positions we will continue to struggle. Bringing on Nouble to play centre forward was just crazy desperation. He looked clueless except when wide.

Sombre mood on the bus; consensus is Mullins and Humes must go. Need Eastman and Dalliston in central defence and the Ipswich Dads Army of Smith & Chambers should retire to Suffolk.
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:06 - Jan 18 with 664 viewsburnsieespana

Wessex it is not the way forward as we are seemingly incapable of making the right decisions in front of goal at either end.
We must get a point at least from Salford.
Login to get fewer ads

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:09 - Jan 18 with 660 viewsthrillseeker

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 21:55 - Jan 18 by burnsieespana

Will Mullins and Dyer have the courage to resign or has RC the courage to sack them and quickly bring somebody else in?

I suspect HM has been told his job is safe until the end of season at least.

I only say this as if his position was under threat why would RC allow signings to be made now.

If HM is to resign or be sacked I fear another internal appointment or worse we appoint someone externally but after transfer deadline has ended thus meaning any new manager would have the same players and cannot bring anyone in
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:30 - Jan 18 with 626 viewswessex_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:09 - Jan 18 by thrillseeker

I suspect HM has been told his job is safe until the end of season at least.

I only say this as if his position was under threat why would RC allow signings to be made now.

If HM is to resign or be sacked I fear another internal appointment or worse we appoint someone externally but after transfer deadline has ended thus meaning any new manager would have the same players and cannot bring anyone in

You have to ask yourself though, why would Hayden willingly sleepwalk into relegation, it's not like it's going to be a good addition to his CV regardless of what the conspiracy theory thinks he's promised? Maybe, just maybe, he's just not good enough despite what he's trying?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:31 - Jan 18 with 625 viewsburnsieespana

How much influence does Mullins have over signings is my question otherwise why have the set up we do?
On a minor scale it reminds of the top Spanish clubs who have a similar set up with players being signed who are then not played or played out of position because the Head Coach had little or no say.
At the moment Mullins is playing a different defence almost every game. Last game against Sutton a five man defence, then changed for last Saturday and changed again tonight. Desperately casting around in the dark and now think it is 6 games in all competitions lost on the bounce.
I expect we will get the usual drivel about how they are hurting, etc, etc. They aren't hurting as much as we are!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 22:33]
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:53 - Jan 18 with 589 viewsdurham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 22:31 - Jan 18 by burnsieespana

How much influence does Mullins have over signings is my question otherwise why have the set up we do?
On a minor scale it reminds of the top Spanish clubs who have a similar set up with players being signed who are then not played or played out of position because the Head Coach had little or no say.
At the moment Mullins is playing a different defence almost every game. Last game against Sutton a five man defence, then changed for last Saturday and changed again tonight. Desperately casting around in the dark and now think it is 6 games in all competitions lost on the bounce.
I expect we will get the usual drivel about how they are hurting, etc, etc. They aren't hurting as much as we are!
[Post edited 18 Jan 2022 22:33]

Someone once wrote we have nothing to fear except fear itself.

Noah relayed the usual story of HM tonight. Even at 2-1 up we go defensive then at 2-2 we sit even deeper. Result the pressure tells on a fragile defence and we concede a late goal again.

We cannot see games out with this mentality.

Take the game to the opposition and attack.
Salford City won against the odds tonight.

Five successive league defeats tells its own story. It really gets you down.

Unless action is taken now then we will be relegated.
What a terrible state of affairs.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 09:39 - Jan 19 with 476 viewsRSCOSWORTH

If you want to see a bit of fight and passion from the team in blue and also some pretty decent football please click here:

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 10:40 - Jan 19 with 437 viewsnoah4x4

Let's salute the three Colchester based fans that drove up and joined Durham at St James Park. Two got home at 0300am having shared the driving, and were then up early enough to trek to Sutton with me.

The third "sensibly" stayed in Toontown over night, but apparently didn't find his hotel bed until 0300. Morning train to Kings Cross, arriving in the fans bar at Sutton for 1700, not so sensibly worse for wear by kick off.

Cowling and Players should note that is what is meant by having pride in wearing the shirt and "our club". It is about a family, a tribe, one nation, the people's republic of Cuckoo Farm. Cowling is only a leaseholder. It will be forever ours.
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 11:51 - Jan 19 with 416 viewsMoor_Pinot

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 10:40 - Jan 19 by noah4x4

Let's salute the three Colchester based fans that drove up and joined Durham at St James Park. Two got home at 0300am having shared the driving, and were then up early enough to trek to Sutton with me.

The third "sensibly" stayed in Toontown over night, but apparently didn't find his hotel bed until 0300. Morning train to Kings Cross, arriving in the fans bar at Sutton for 1700, not so sensibly worse for wear by kick off.

Cowling and Players should note that is what is meant by having pride in wearing the shirt and "our club". It is about a family, a tribe, one nation, the people's republic of Cuckoo Farm. Cowling is only a leaseholder. It will be forever ours.

I salute them too and I accept that all clubs like ours have such loyalty but at the moment at the very least I feel that such heartfelt support for our club is not being recognised.
I appreciate that a supporter is not due repayment for her/his support in the form of results being favourable but the long decline is beginning to feel disrespectful. I'm sure Mr Mullins is doing his best but like his predecessors (who also had better resources and wasted them) he is not cut out for the job in hand hence the continuing decline. The recruitment was not widely considered as wise on this board or wider (though I will accept I was wrong about Sears who has done OK). The consequences of the last round of recruitment is there for all of us to see. End of career players for whom it matters less, added to a small group of our own promising ones - Tchamadeau, Chilvers, Tovide and a few loanees who must be wondering why they're here. Eastman sits on the bench with his head in his hands. The holistic outcome is that we have a disjointed group with no agreed starting line up nor onfield methodology and so those wonderfully loyal supporters at Newcastle, Sutton and wherever really are facing the National league.

And this time we won't be coming back.

Wake up the U's, and I don't mean the supporters.

Moor Pinot

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 13:12 - Jan 19 with 391 viewsburnsieespana

Pinault well said
The prospect of the National League frankly terrified me as I believe it to be the toughest league to get out of.
Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 16:52 - Jan 19 with 338 viewsdurham_exile

Pity the U's youngsters can't play at Gander Green Lane tonight! on 10:40 - Jan 19 by noah4x4

Noah that is dedication from the three members of the faithful travelling up and back to Colchester and then to Sutton. Respect.

I mentioned that I also met another Colchester based supporter currently working for three weeks in Newcastle. He had also been to the Watford and Cambridge games at St James' Park. Had also been enjoying evening meals in Chinatown, which is only a stones throw from the stadium.

I have to say that we must get something from the Salford game on Saturday because things are getting grim and two more of our games in hand have gone for a burton. Thank goodness we don't have to play Sutton anymore this season, I cant believe their results against us.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024