Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow 20:16 - Jan 21 with 1750 viewsdurham_exile

If a week is a long time in politics, then 24hours is a lifetime in football. Only 24 hrs after the U’s youngsters put on a spirited performance to run their premier league opponents mighty close at St James’s Park in a 5-goal thriller, the U’s first team surrendered a 2-1 half time lead to lose their fifth successive league game 3-2 to Sutton United. Thankfully we don’t have to play them any more this season.

But if we thought that the journey back for the faithful to Colchester was a sombre affair RC was determining the fate of Hayden Mullins and Alex Dyer, who were summarily sacked the next day.

Immediately Wayne Brown was offered the opportunity to return as interim Head Coach to be supported by Assistant Coach Joe Dunne and Assistant Coach Dave Huzzey. All three jumped at the chance and we go into Saturday’s game with a new manager bounce as opposed to the dead cat bounce that we have sadly witnessed for weeks now!

Whilst it is all about getting behind the triumvirate in the coming weeks, we must also think about the longer-term future of the club. We have 22 games to save the club simple as. Relegation is unthinkable. We must survive and then it is about next season.

Can Neil Harris be persuaded to join as Head Coach/Manager. Let us park that for the moment.

The arrival of yet another ex-Ipswich player in the form of Myles Kenlock almost went under the radar, as has the interest that we are apparently showing in Maxime Biamou French striker 31 years of age and 6ft 1ins tall who previously played for Coventry before going north to play for Dundee United but having found appearances to be slim is keen to return to the south of England. He has three suitors Cambridge, COL U and Wrexham. Regardless of league positions we have the best facilities, stadium and training facilities and should really try hard to bring him to the club.

After all the comings and goings, the player list (27) looks something like this now:

Shamal George
Dean Gerken
Ted Collins

MWH
Luke Chambers
Tommy Smith
Tom Dallison
Tom Eastman
Junior Tchamadeu
Cameron Coxe
Frankie Terry
Myles Kenlock
Ryan Clampin

Brendan Wiredu
Luke Hannant
Cole Skuse
Gene Kennedy
Noah Chilvers
Alan Judge
Emyr Huws
Chay Cooper

Owura Edwards
Frank Nouble
Freddie Sears
Corie Andrews
Armando Dobra
Samson Tovide

WB, JD and DH have had three days to work with the team. WB knows the vast majority of the players well but even he might be unsighted as to the ability of Kenlock, Andrews and Huws.

A word about Charlie Daniels, he was overlooked again and let down by management. I liked him and it was a shame that we didn’t get the best out of him. Wish him well for the future.

In the expectation that all bar Clampin are fit, I would suggest the following XI to start at Moor Lane on Saturday in a 4,2,2,2 formation.

George

MWH Eastman Dallison Kenlock

Wiredu Skuse

Chilvers Judge

Edwards Sears

Subs:

Gerken Tchamadeu Chambers Coxe Hannant Andrews Tovide

I have yet to see Dallison and Kenlock play, but the word is that both are worthy of a place.

I am sure that with 27 players to choose from the three amigos will have other options.
Junior Tchamadeu has not let the team down, Cameron Coxe has not always been as bad as some have suggested but by contrast club captain Tommy Smith has been woeful of late and Luke Chambers has been outpaced.

In midfield, Kennedy and Cooper are very much for the future whilst up front we have been foolishly playing Sears as a lone striker. Andrews played well on debut and then was anonymous, can he be encouraged to form a strike partnership with Sears. Of course, if we can sign Biamou then he will score goals, but Cambridge must be in the box seat simply based on league position.

We have 22 games to play 12 home and 10 away to garner another 28 points (50 will see us safe).

9 wins and a couple of draws will do it. However, we only have 5 league wins to date.

Salford C Away*
Swindon Home
Rochdale H
Orient A
Mansfield A*
Carlisle H
Northampton A
Hartlepool H
Oldham H
Orient H
PV H
Scunny A*
Bristol Rovers A
FGR H
Tranmere H
Harrogate A*
Stevenage H
Exeter A
Bradford H
Newport A
Walsall H
Hartlepool A*

*Denotes games that I am planning to attend plus at least three home games TBC.

Table:
Colchester 24 22
Scunny 25 19
Oldham, 24 18

Now of course what does interim mean, will a potential permanent manager be sounded out but will the transfer window closing (with just loans available) swing it for someone new. Will just 8 games be offered to the three or will they get all 22 games if results pick up. Frankly they can’t get any worse (can they).

One thing is certain this crazy ultra-defensive approach is no good. Taking the lead (a rarity in itself) and then sitting so deep and dropping deeper just encourages the opposition on and just as at Sutton, we threw away three points when we could have won the game and definitely should have picked up one point.

I am still of the opinion that we can survive this season, but this must be the last season where we struggle. Not only is it not good for my health but also, we seem to be a club in terminal decline and this has been happening for the last ten years. Sad but true.

Tomorrow then we travel to the Ammies of Salford City manged by Gary Bowyer and with Ian Henderson in their ranks. Brandon Thomas-Asante should still be suspended after his straight red card last weekend. But they have just picked up Matt Smith from Millwall on a free transfer. Smith (not Dr Who) has always scored goals and should be straight into their team tomorrow. They are also sitting just four points off the play offs after their victory against Port Vale mid-week. So not an easy game and they will be buzzing after their trip to Burslem.

But here’s the thing after five successive league defeats, we are due some good fortune and I reckon we can secure a 3-1 victory (Sears, Eastman and Edwards) at Moor Lane in the balmy 8 degrees Celsius and cloudy with occasional sunshine tomorrow. The weather will certainly be better than the last time I went, when, although we won 2-1, the cold and incessant rain made it a shocking game. Dirty old Town indeed.

The faithful will be there and hopefully in force. Let us get right behind the team and new management and cheer them to victory.

Welcome back Shamal we’ve missed you.

Safe journey

Enjoy the game

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow on 15:03 - Jan 24 with 489 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow on 12:06 - Jan 24 by gerry_us

Was it a Cosworth?

Here's hoping! I went to Darlington to get mine, didn't get to see Col U win away in the process though, and then when I sold it the guy flew over from Ireland and drove it home!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow on 22:10 - Jan 25 with 376 viewsburnsieespana

Two results in our favour tonight so a win on Saturday would work wonders as the man from Double Diamond used to say!
Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow on 00:07 - Jan 26 with 358 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to get New Manager bounce at Moor Lane tomorrow on 22:10 - Jan 25 by burnsieespana

Two results in our favour tonight so a win on Saturday would work wonders as the man from Double Diamond used to say!

Burnsie

Absolutely agree:

Carlisle 26 27
Barrow 26 26
COL U 25 25
Scunny 27 19
Oldham 25 18

Any more results like that and we can break out the Party Seven!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024