Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park 18:29 - May 6 with 924 viewsdurham_exile

This weekend the Super U’s make the long journey to the North East of England to Victoria Park to play the Monkey Hangers, at 45 miles one of my shorter journeys and with both sons in tow and meeting up with Gerry for lunch it should be a good day.

But before any more about Hartlepool, a recap of last weekend.

I travelled down from Durham for the last home match of the season. Journey was excellent A66, A1, A14, M11, A120, A12 all behaved themselves. Purchased some items from the Club Shop before using my Privilege Card for a Steak pie and tea before settling into my seat in the West Stand.

The weather was good, dry some sunshine and not too breezy. The pitch was also fine.

WB had assembled his charges thus:

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Smith Kenlock

Wiredu Huws Chilvers

Hannant Judge

Sears

Subs:
George Edwards Eastman Akinde Coxe Cracknell Wright

Attendance was 3,520 including 328 from Walsall.

I thought that it was an entertaining game. Colchester started brightly and moved the ball well. Freddie Sears has got better as the season has progressed and he looked the most likely to score and so it proved.

Alan Judge took a free kick from the edge of the box which hit the wall but Walsall failed to clear and Sears slashed the ball high into the net on 23 minutes. We deserved a second which I think would have killed Walsall off but they equalised on 38 minutes with a well struck shot from Kiernan. The U’s took their eyes off the ball at this stage and allowed Walsall to finish the half strongly.

Our cause was not helped by an injury to Myles Kenlock (just released by Ipswich Town) and he was replaced by Cameron Coxe on 43 minutes. He swapped sides with Junior Tchamadeu to operate down the right.

At half time Huws was replaced by the big man John Akinde. But still only one up front.

It was a shock start to the second half however with Walsall ahead after only three minutes of the restart. Kiernan crossed for Miller to score from close range in front of the Saddlers faithful (who in truth had been quiet up to that point).

Now Colchester have taken 13 points from the last 21 (including Walsall game) and were in no mood to capitulate and rightly so. The onerous Flynn patrolled the touchline (but in fairness he looked disgusted when the Referee brought a stone to give to the Steward which had been thrown towards Sam Hornby by a Walsall so called supporter).

Fortunately, we didn’t have long to wait for the equaliser. Wiredu was upended in the box and the ref rightly pointed to the spot. Freddie Sears struck the penalty on 56 minutes and although the keeper got hands to it, it found the right-hand corner of the net.

Surely there would be only one winner now. Noah Chilvers contrived to miss two one on one chances with the Walsall keeper when well-placed which was disappointing because we deserved to win the game.

Alan Judge was replaced by Wright on 81 minutes. I would have liked to see Edwards but I fear he will be returning to Bristol City rather than extending his stay at Colchester.

The game finished in a Desmond but we had kept the unbeaten run going.

Immediately after the game the players went into the changing room but re-emerged with their families in readiness for the End of Season Awards.

It was good to see Dean Gerken, the families including the player’s children and some wives for the presentations.

Shamal George was the Official POTY and the CUSA Home POTY
Brendan Wiredu was the CUSA Away POTY
Noah Chilvers was the Young POTY and the Colchester Hospital Radio POTY
Cole Skuse was the U’s Players POTY
Junior Tchamadeu scored the Goal of the Season for his magnificent strike at home to Tranmere Rovers

The players then undertook an impromptu walk around the pitch signing autographs and having photographs with the faithful. Joe Dunne cut a forlorn figure on his own but he too joined the procession.

I didn’t see RC either in the stand or on the pitch.

At about 5.30 I went back into the Club Shop to have another look before heading off to my Hotel for the night.

Today of course marks the 16th Anniversary of our Promotion to the Championship after a 0-0 draw at Huish Park Yeovil. A great day and one to remember.

Now WB with JD and DH have kept us up for another season. Notwithstanding the clamour for JJ to return to the club from Charlton, WB is in the box seat and will be interviewed after the Hartlepool game. Whether he is appointed is up to RC. An early decision must be made because there is much transfer business to be done.

Having achieved our league status, it is interesting to note who else will be with us next season.

Coming down from League One are:
Gillingham
Doncaster
Wimbledon
Crewe

Coming up from the National League are likely to be:
Stockport
Wrexham
But there are Halifax, Solihull, Notts Co, Grimsby and Chesterfield who might have a say in that.

Confirmed from League Two:
COLCHESTER
Stevenage
Barrow
Rochdale
Carlisle
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Walsall
Bradford
Orient
Crawley
Newport
Salford

Then one of Bristol Rovers, Mansfield, PV, Swindon, Sutton and Tranmere will join Exeter FGR and perhaps Northampton in League One.

Our opponents tomorrow have already acted by sacking Graeme Lee 48 before the final home game after some indifferent results. Michael Nelson and Antony Sweeney will take charge at Victoria Park this weekend.

There are a number of would-be suitors:
Nelson and Sweeney plus
Gavin Strachan
Andy Woodman
Tommy Miller
Pete Wild
Peter Beardsley
Ross Turnbull
Keith Miller
Chris Beech
Keith Hill
Kenny Jackett
Simon Grayson
David Unsworth
Michael Appleton
Tony Mowbray (who leaves Blackburn this weekend)

The decision so soon before the final game does seem a strange one but that is football management for you.

Hartlepool have averaged 5,200 at home games this season (not bad for a first season back).

So how will WB set up his Colchester charges for the final match this season.

I still reckon that Bristol City will want Owura Edwards back.

Kenlock and Huws are both out and I wouldn’t risk Cole Skuse therefore:

Hornby

Coxe Chambers Smith Tchamadeu

Wiredu Chilvers

Hannant Judge

Akinde Sears

Subs Cracknell Wright
George Edwards Eastman MWH Tovide

Table:

Bradford 45 55
Walsall 45 54
Hartlepool 45 54
Harrogate 45 54
Carlisle 45 53
COLCHESTER 45 52
Rochdale 45 50
Barrow 45 44
Stevenage 45 44
Oldham 45 37 R
Scunny 45 26 R

Weather tomorrow will be 11 degrees Celsius mostly cloudy but dry.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

Prediction 2-1 to the Super U’s

Enjoy the game

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 18:51 - May 6 with 872 viewswessex_exile

Excellent write-up Durham, finishing with a bang. I now know why I couldn't spot you in the South Stand, you'd defected to the West

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 19:19 - May 6 with 864 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 18:51 - May 6 by wessex_exile

Excellent write-up Durham, finishing with a bang. I now know why I couldn't spot you in the South Stand, you'd defected to the West

Wessex I have sat in the East and West stands but prefer the West Stand (W2).

When the stadium hosted the first League game against Huddersfield I sat in the East stand around the half way line.

The North stand was initially allocated for home supporters but quickly that was transferred to the South.

The atmosphere in the South is obviously the best but I prefer the West Stand and roughly in line with the edge of the penalty area.

Sorry I didn't see you.

I hope that we finish on a high tomorrow.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 14:13 - May 7 with 771 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Hartlepool: Hornby, Coxe, Chambers, Smith, Tchamadeu, Wiredu, Judge, Chilvers, Hannant, Sears, Akinde (two changes)

U's subs: Eastman, Cracknell, Kazeem, Cooper, Bennett, Ihionvien, George

mfb

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:19 - May 7 with 761 viewswessex_exile

Everything going our way so far - opener and another goal from Akinde for the U's, plus Walsall, Harrogate and Carlisle all losing, means the U's are up to 15th.

Come on Col U!

Up the U's

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:53 - May 7 with 747 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:19 - May 7 by wessex_exile

Everything going our way so far - opener and another goal from Akinde for the U's, plus Walsall, Harrogate and Carlisle all losing, means the U's are up to 15th.

Come on Col U!

Wessex we are great value for the lead.

Also WB picked my team!!!!!

Two up front. Big John immense.

Chilvers controlling the midfield

Wiredu superb.

Hornby also on form.

Second goal coming soon for the U's

Enjoying the North East Sunshine.
Met up with Gerry

More flesh on show from the faithful than we would normally like to see.

Super U's to press home advantage second half.

Durham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:53 - May 7 with 747 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:19 - May 7 by wessex_exile

Come on Col U!

Missing you Wessex
Durham is sending a long message I think!
Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 16:15 - May 7 with 734 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 15:53 - May 7 by gerry_us

Missing you Wessex
Durham is sending a long message I think!

He has indeed - wishing I was there too, particularly after Chay has given the U's a 2-0 lead :-)

Up the U's

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 17:21 - May 7 with 705 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic way to finish the season, and with all the other results going our way, it's confirmed the U's finish in 15th place. Turns out we were already safe after the win at Scunthorpe on March 12th, but we weren't to know that at the time. A remarkable 7-0 win (including a massive delay because of a celebratory pitch invasion after their 7th) for Bristol Rovers means they nick the final automatic promotion spot on goals scored, alongside FGR and Exeter, much to the dismay of Northampton Town. If Swindon go on and win the play-offs as well, I will not be a happy bunny - but for tonight who cares!

Up the U's!

Up the U's

Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 18:40 - May 7 with 688 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to finish season strongly against the Monkey Hangers at Victoria Park on 17:21 - May 7 by wessex_exile

Fantastic way to finish the season, and with all the other results going our way, it's confirmed the U's finish in 15th place. Turns out we were already safe after the win at Scunthorpe on March 12th, but we weren't to know that at the time. A remarkable 7-0 win (including a massive delay because of a celebratory pitch invasion after their 7th) for Bristol Rovers means they nick the final automatic promotion spot on goals scored, alongside FGR and Exeter, much to the dismay of Northampton Town. If Swindon go on and win the play-offs as well, I will not be a happy bunny - but for tonight who cares!

Up the U's!

Undoubtedly goal of the season for the young man.

Deserved the win, controlled the game.
Sam Hornby made four excellent saves.

I will take 2-0 but it could have been more.

Good to see the youngsters getting some minutes too.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024