Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not a match report! 19:58 - May 8 with 804 viewsgerry_us

I’ll leave the match report to Durham as he is so much better at it than I am; suffice to say that we controlled the match for 70 minutes and were well worth our 2-0 lead, then the wheels fell off and we were only saved from embarrassment by my MOM keeper Hornby.
More of concern to me was the abysmal behaviour of a small band of our younger travelling supporters which left me feeling embarrassed to be a fellow supporter. Now I have been a supporter for 6o years; old fart and all that; but I have never seen U’s supporters behave in that way ever and hope never to see it again. OK, so the Hartlepool stewards were “a bit in yer face” but this does not explain the attitude of a small section of the fans. A blue flare thrown onto the pitch followed by another onto the goal line between the posts was a precursor to some pretty ugly scenes.
As I said earlier, we lost the plot after 70 minutes and so too did the small band of fans who had obviously come to “celebrate” the seasons end. Strangely, in addition to the Hartlepool stewards were present four fully kitted Essex police officers armed with video cameras. Were problems planned or expected? Who paid for four policemen from Essex???
Luckily or not as the case may be, at the time we lost the plot and the vast majority of the football was being played out at the other end of the ground about twenty of our fans decided it would be a good idea to mount the three-foot wall behind the Scunthorpe goal and hang on the goal netting and shake it. As I said, play was fortunately at the other end and this ridiculous and basically unacceptable display was not seen by the referee and even more luckily not until a few minutes before the end of the match. Strangely however, only a couple of minutes were added at the end of the game when it should have probably been longer.
Rant over. Let us hope that next season brings an improvement both for the playing staff and for the travelling supporters. If any of those “supporters” reads this post I would really welcome a response, or maybe even an explanation, and even less likely, an apology.
[Post edited 8 May 2022 20:39]
Not a match report! on 22:03 - May 8 with 758 viewswessex_exile

Evening Gerry

As I wasn't there, I can't comment on specifics, but I will add that these are almost certainly the same lads who follow us week in, week out, home and away, create the atmosphere, and have Col U blue blood flowing in their veins. Yes, they might be a bit rambunctious at times, but they're a big part of the reason why we are rightly famed for the passion of our support in the Football League - what we lack in numbers we more than make up for in volume thanks to them.

Usually when things spill over there's a trigger, and you've hinted at heavy-handed stewarding, which is by no means an excuse, but often a factor. I've seen blue flares on pitches up and down the country following the U's, and usually they are easily dealt with by a ground keeper with a bucket of water. As for Essex police, they are normally in attendance at any away game I go to, usually including Sgt Nicky Smith (who I had the pleasure to chat to most recently at Exeter).

Perhaps it's a generation thing, but these young lads bring a passion that is surely far preferable to the gnarly dark side of the proper old Barside, who were a completely different kettle of fish? I understand your concern, but also be careful what you wish for as a tepid, dour alternative.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Not a match report! on 23:28 - May 8 with 742 viewsgerry_us

As you say, you were not at the match.
You are correct, these young guys are regulars and normally vociferous and often humorous.
Regrettably yesterday was something else; believe me.
Not a match report! on 00:06 - May 9 with 738 viewswessex_exile

Not a match report! on 23:28 - May 8 by gerry_us

As you say, you were not at the match.
You are correct, these young guys are regulars and normally vociferous and often humorous.
Regrettably yesterday was something else; believe me.

Fair enough Gerry - I will reserve further comment until the EFL inquiry into the serious disorder events you've reported. I haven't seen anything yet, but I have seen quite a few excellent fan videos of support and celebrations - if you can point me in the direction I'd appreciate it.

Up the U's

Not a match report! on 11:18 - May 9 with 694 viewsgerry_us

Not a match report! on 00:06 - May 9 by wessex_exile

Fair enough Gerry - I will reserve further comment until the EFL inquiry into the serious disorder events you've reported. I haven't seen anything yet, but I have seen quite a few excellent fan videos of support and celebrations - if you can point me in the direction I'd appreciate it.

Ask your mate Sgt Nicky Smith. He'll have loads
Not a match report! on 13:29 - May 9 with 668 viewsLeadbelly

Not a match report! on 11:18 - May 9 by gerry_us

Ask your mate Sgt Nicky Smith. He'll have loads

"Local" police attending or accompanying "their" fans at away games is quite common. West Yorkshire constabulary are always at away games with Leeds Utd, It makes a lot of sense as they will be aware of those fans likely to pose a risk etc. For high risk games, such as away at Millwall or Chelsea, the police travel down on the trains from Leeds and then accompany the fans from KIngs Cross to whatever the destination. Great shame that such measures are necessary but can't argue with the logic.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Not a match report! on 20:50 - May 9 with 632 viewswessex_exile

Not a match report! on 13:29 - May 9 by Leadbelly

"Local" police attending or accompanying "their" fans at away games is quite common. West Yorkshire constabulary are always at away games with Leeds Utd, It makes a lot of sense as they will be aware of those fans likely to pose a risk etc. For high risk games, such as away at Millwall or Chelsea, the police travel down on the trains from Leeds and then accompany the fans from KIngs Cross to whatever the destination. Great shame that such measures are necessary but can't argue with the logic.

LOL - just realised that noting "they are normally in attendance at any away game I go to" might not be a coincidence?

Up the U's

Not a match report! on 20:55 - May 9 with 629 viewsLeadbelly

Not a match report! on 20:50 - May 9 by wessex_exile

LOL - just realised that noting "they are normally in attendance at any away game I go to" might not be a coincidence?

Never any trouble from me. I did have words with a copper at Goodson Park but that was because he hit he in the back of my head when I stood up. Knob (him, not me!)

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Not a match report! on 12:50 - May 10 with 579 viewsnoah4x4

I attend almost all away games and have never witnessed violence, only high jinks. Frankly, it is the same guy every week that gets ejected, usually for nothing more than gobbing off and pushing a steward when told to calm down. He can’t hold his drink, but is otherwise utterly harmless.

Contrast that with the nasty spitting thugs that we encounter at Mansfield and brick throwing yobs at Tranmere. U’s fans are generally well behaved and it helps that a dedicated U’s Football police team led by Nicky Smith follow us everywhere and know the majority of travelling fans. Our reputation is really good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024