Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Season 2022/23 12:32 - May 26 with 19066 viewsburnsieespana

Thought it might be useful to have a thread where we can post bits of random information during the close season.

For starters:

OMB saying Tovide might well be off to Reading and if it happened assume we would be entitled to a fee?
Swindon fans expecting Garner and his coach's to leave for Charlton anytime soon.
Season 2022/23 on 22:48 - Jul 23 with 2667 viewsdurham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 22:08 - Jul 23 by gerry_us

Mmm! Playing against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen may top anything we could offer.
I just hope we got an appropriate fee for him.
Time will tell if he made the right decision but good luck to him "up North"

Whilst wishing him well I stand by my surprise that he has gone north of the border.

Oh well we are looking for another keeper.

And a striker

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 08:35 - Jul 24 with 2600 viewsbwildered

Best wishes to George in his future career, must have a decent agent to have secured a four year contract. Without doubt, pulled off some stunning saves, but also had a basic error within.

First test for Ross Embleton new Head of Recruitment. Must be plenty of keepers around available on a free, but the concern is selling a keeper a week before season start.
Hornby ( sorry, should have signed Turner ) will now start has number one, without any rival, although looks competent, fails to stack up clean sheets. So another experienced man between the sticks required.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Season 2022/23 on 14:32 - Jul 25 with 2462 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm hearing £87K plus add-ons for George. Anyone else heard similar? Doesn't seem like a lot.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Season 2022/23 on 16:17 - Jul 25 with 2449 viewsdurham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 14:32 - Jul 25 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm hearing £87K plus add-ons for George. Anyone else heard similar? Doesn't seem like a lot.

Apparently their first bid was £50k

Shocking and frankly Livingston are a poor team

Still we move on.

Hornby is a decent keeper.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 18:16 - Jul 25 with 2437 viewsdurham_exile

Anyway the super computer has identified Colchester United and predicted that we will finish second in the league.

Can't be bad.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 18:33 - Jul 25 with 2432 viewsgerry_us

Season 2022/23 on 18:16 - Jul 25 by durham_exile

Anyway the super computer has identified Colchester United and predicted that we will finish second in the league.

Can't be bad.

Up the U's

Mmmm!
Suspect software problems.
Season 2022/23 on 20:53 - Jul 25 with 2397 viewsLeadbelly

Season 2022/23 on 18:33 - Jul 25 by gerry_us

Mmmm!
Suspect software problems.

Russian hackers having a laugh perhaps?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Season 2022/23 on 21:09 - Jul 25 with 2392 viewsmfb_cufc

Season 2022/23 on 18:16 - Jul 25 by durham_exile

Can't be bad.

Up the U's

And 3D4Dfootball.com has got us finishing bottom. That is more realistic. I'm always optimistic at the start of every season, but not this one. It was a big mistake giving Brown the job permanently.

mfb

Login to get fewer ads

Season 2022/23 on 21:45 - Jul 25 with 2387 viewsLeadbelly

Season 2022/23 on 21:09 - Jul 25 by mfb_cufc

And 3D4Dfootball.com has got us finishing bottom. That is more realistic. I'm always optimistic at the start of every season, but not this one. It was a big mistake giving Brown the job permanently.

You’re not alone. Assuming we don’t make any more signings before the window closes we are woefully short of pace, injuries are already piling up, pre-season suggests our inability to defend hasn’t changed and if Sears is unavailable for any reason I don’t see where the goals will come from.

I really hope WB and JD will be able to squeeze the absolute maximum out of this squad because I fear that’s what required to avoid another season of struggle.

Season 2022/23 on 11:57 - Jul 26 with 2317 viewsthrillseeker

Season 2022/23 on 21:45 - Jul 25 by Leadbelly

You’re not alone. Assuming we don’t make any more signings before the window closes we are woefully short of pace, injuries are already piling up, pre-season suggests our inability to defend hasn’t changed and if Sears is unavailable for any reason I don’t see where the goals will come from.

I really hope WB and JD will be able to squeeze the absolute maximum out of this squad because I fear that’s what required to avoid another season of struggle.

Season 43 supporting the U's about to commence

Sadly I now only go out of habit and not enjoyment although I always live in hope good times will return

I expect us to finish somewhere between 18th - 22nd place although I would love to be proved wrong and I don't mean 23rd or 24th
Season 2022/23 on 15:58 - Jul 26 with 2282 viewswessex_exile

Season 2022/23 on 11:57 - Jul 26 by thrillseeker

Season 43 supporting the U's about to commence

Sadly I now only go out of habit and not enjoyment although I always live in hope good times will return

I expect us to finish somewhere between 18th - 22nd place although I would love to be proved wrong and I don't mean 23rd or 24th

Completed my half century of seasons following the U's in April, against Walsall for our last home game of the season. I won't deny the last few seasons have been a barren source of amusement, but it doesn't dim the hope and expectation for me. Annoyed (selfishly, I grant you - workers unite etc.) about the train strike, but I'll still be driving over to Sixfields to see the U's get Season #51 underway - Up the U's!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Season 2022/23 on 11:12 - Jul 27 with 2200 viewswessex_exile

Season 2022/23 on 15:58 - Jul 26 by wessex_exile

Completed my half century of seasons following the U's in April, against Walsall for our last home game of the season. I won't deny the last few seasons have been a barren source of amusement, but it doesn't dim the hope and expectation for me. Annoyed (selfishly, I grant you - workers unite etc.) about the train strike, but I'll still be driving over to Sixfields to see the U's get Season #51 underway - Up the U's!

...or I was planning to at least - now dog-sitting for this one. I would say unfortunately, but dog-sitting Reggie is a joy not a chore - hope he gives me enough peace to listen to I-Follow though.

Up the U's

Season 2022/23 on 07:57 - Jul 29 with 2061 viewsnoah4x4

Still five weeks of cricket commitments for me. July is far too early for football. However, can, at least, now catch up on I-Follow. Means I get modest value for my ST, but it is the only way guarantee my seat for the FA Cup Third Round (ever the optimist!). Having moaned about the lack of this privilege in 2021-22 I feel motivated to make this purchase. Might even buy a new shirt if they get enough 5XLs in for (normally) 3XL people like me. They come up incredibly small, even 'mediums' are having to buy 3XL. Doesn't make any sense, especially if ordering over the Internet adding name/numerals. You need a personal fitting!
Season 2022/23 on 12:47 - Aug 2 with 1912 viewsmfb_cufc

Sammie Szmodics signs for Blackburn.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/august/02/five-things-you-might-not-know-abou

mfb

Season 2022/23 on 15:10 - Aug 2 with 1888 viewsgerry_us

Season 2022/23 on 12:47 - Aug 2 by mfb_cufc

Sammie Szmodics signs for Blackburn.

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2022/august/02/five-things-you-might-not-know-abou

Another player we didn't value enough.
Who goes next of the current players?
Thinking about it, if Sammy had signed a week earlier he could have come up against Macca Bonne on Saturday......but don't get me started on him
[Post edited 2 Aug 2022 15:16]
Season 2022/23 on 20:24 - Aug 3 with 1793 viewsdurham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 15:10 - Aug 2 by gerry_us

Thinking about it, if Sammy had signed a week earlier he could have come up against Macca Bonne on Saturday......but don't get me started on him

Kieran O'Hara a new keeper has signed for the Super U's
He will wear the 13 shirt

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 23:13 - Aug 3 with 1773 viewswessex_exile

Season 2022/23 on 15:10 - Aug 2 by gerry_us

What are you actually talking about Gerry?

He wouldn't sign a new contract, so we managed to sell him in the early close season to Bristol City for a fee, mainly down to Sammie and Bristol City agreeing to it. I understand we had a sell-on fee when he went on Posh, and it's rumoured we might receive a another (albeit smaller) one now he's signed for Blackburn.

What more do you want?

Up the U's

Season 2022/23 on 22:07 - Aug 4 with 1725 viewsdurham_exile

Myles Kenlock has signed for Barrow.

Good signing for Barrow but why?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 22:14 - Aug 4 with 1721 viewsdurham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 22:07 - Aug 4 by durham_exile

Up the U's

Jake Hutchinson has been allowed to go out on loan to Eastbourne

If we can afford to loan a striker does that mean we have a replacement lined up?

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Season 2022/23 on 11:23 - Aug 5 with 1664 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Season 2022/23 on 22:07 - Aug 4 by durham_exile

Up the U's

He's a professional footballer, he's got to play somewhere otherwise he's looking for a new job. I actually rated him and was disappointed we didn't sign him.

Season 2022/23 on 11:29 - Aug 5 with 1663 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Season 2022/23 on 23:13 - Aug 3 by wessex_exile

What are you actually talking about Gerry?

He wouldn't sign a new contract, so we managed to sell him in the early close season to Bristol City for a fee, mainly down to Sammie and Bristol City agreeing to it. I understand we had a sell-on fee when he went on Posh, and it's rumoured we might receive a another (albeit smaller) one now he's signed for Blackburn.

What more do you want?

My thoughts exactly Wessex. What happened with Sammie is pretty much the same as with every player who's left Col U and gone on to better things. We've tried to get them to stay, they've wanted to go and we've tried to get as much as we can for them. It's not often that a club tries to keep a player against their wishes and when they do it generally doesn't go well. Liverpool nearly did the quadruple last season and still couldn't keep Mane. I'd struggle to come up with five players who we HAVEN'T wanted to keep where that decision has been proven wrong.

Season 2022/23 on 16:58 - Aug 5 with 1635 viewsgerry_us

Season 2022/23 on 11:29 - Aug 5 by RSCOSWORTH

My thoughts exactly Wessex. What happened with Sammie is pretty much the same as with every player who's left Col U and gone on to better things. We've tried to get them to stay, they've wanted to go and we've tried to get as much as we can for them. It's not often that a club tries to keep a player against their wishes and when they do it generally doesn't go well. Liverpool nearly did the quadruple last season and still couldn't keep Mane. I'd struggle to come up with five players who we HAVEN'T wanted to keep where that decision has been proven wrong.

All due to the lack of ambition at the club and instilling this within the playing staff. We are destined to remain in the lower eschalons of the EFL until someone thinks it may be nice to be back in the Championship, and heavens above near to the play-off position.
Anyone remember the days and didn't enjoy it?
Season 2022/23 on 17:29 - Aug 5 with 1630 viewswessex_exile

Season 2022/23 on 16:58 - Aug 5 by gerry_us

All due to the lack of ambition at the club and instilling this within the playing staff. We are destined to remain in the lower eschalons of the EFL until someone thinks it may be nice to be back in the Championship, and heavens above near to the play-off position.
Anyone remember the days and didn't enjoy it?

Loved it, but players citing 'lack of ambition' are nothing more than scoundrels and rogues. We had plenty enough ambition when they signed in the first place. What they actually mean is they want to go for their own personal gain, whether that be salaries we couldn't afford, or playing at a higher level they knew that day in day out we'd struggle to achieve because of our own resource limitations.

Cureton was the perfect example - citing lack of ambition after the club had just finished in their highest position ever, and only just missed out on the play-offs to the Premier League - how much more ambition did he actually want to see? The reality, he wanted his big payday at Norwich, so decided to try and make it the fault of the club that rescued a fading career on the bench at Swindon, nurtured and supported him, and helped elevate him to that level in the first place. Big Chris was the same, though I recall he did eventually recant his 'lack of ambition' claim.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2022 17:31]

Up the U's

Season 2022/23 on 17:10 - Aug 24 with 1261 viewsmfb_cufc

Still waiting for those quality players to sign for the U's, but Harry Pell has signed for Wimbledon.

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2022/august/harry-vows-to-stamp-his-authorit

mfb

Season 2022/23 on 17:30 - Aug 24 with 1249 viewsLeadbelly

Season 2022/23 on 17:10 - Aug 24 by mfb_cufc

Still waiting for those quality players to sign for the U's, but Harry Pell has signed for Wimbledon.

https://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/2022/august/harry-vows-to-stamp-his-authorit

Don't hold your breath

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024