Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields 10:06 - Jul 29 with 1913 viewsdurham_exile

Time for the talking to stop, the wild computer predictions (either top two or bottom) and the doom and gloom merchants.

Right let’s start as we mean to go on this season. The Super U’s will finish in the top seven.

Also, we don’t talk about Relegation this season. But ........ we have still not replaced the excellent Brendan Wiredu or Shamal George and the perennial problem is we still need another striker.
Do we not owe Michael Folivi the chance of a contract.

However, Alex Newby from Rochdale, Sam Hornby from Bradford, Emyr Huws from Ipswich and Ossama Ashley from West Ham have all signed on.

Well frankly I didn’t want last season to end. 10 points from the last 12 and some impressive victories amongst those games. A 15th place finish after a seemingly disastrous campaign.

But this 2022/23 season has got to see the U’s challenging for the top seven rather than avoiding the bottom two.

Just remember the team who won handsomely at Hartlepool on the last day of the season lined up as follows:

Hornby
Coxe Chambers Smith Tchamadeu
Judge
Wiredu Chilvers Hannant
Akinde Sears

Wayne Brown, Joe Dunne and Dave Huzzey have been appointed as the management team.

Jon Brady and his Northampton charges await tomorrow. We owe the Cobblers for some poor results against them and so a strong start is long overdue.

Sadly Emyr Huws is already out, crocked against the lions of Millwall whilst Tommy Smith is also injured.

Last season the average home attendance at the JSCS was 2,813 we must be looking to improve upon that this time out.

We are also going to have to play with a mix of youth and experience although we do have some talented youngsters amongst our matchday squad.

It has been pleasing to see that two strikers have been deployed in the pre season friendlies. Long may this continue.

Team tomorrow at Sixfields 4,4,2:

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Clampin

Hannant Chilvers Skuse Ashley

Sears Akinde

Subs
Collins, Dallison, Coxe, Marshall Miranda, Nouble, Cooper, Judge

As things stand we have the following squad members:

1 Sam Hornby
44 Ted Collins

3 Ryan Clampin
27 Cameron Coxe
4 Luke Chambers
6 Tom Dallison
18 Tom Eastman
5 Tommy Smith
22 Junior Tchamadeu
35 Billy Cracknell
30 Al-Amin Kazeem

49 Kaan Bennet
48 Bradley Ihionvien
37 Chay Cooper
39 Ryan Lowe
7 Luke Hannant
14 Noah Chilvers
21 Gene Kennedy
10 Alan Judge
8 Cole Skuse
19 Alex Newby
28 Emyr Huws
31 Donell Thomas
Benny Bioletti
17 Ossama Ashley
26 Lordon Akolbire
28 Emyr Huws
33 Marley Marshal Miranda
36 Harvey Sayer
40 Frankie Terry
43 Harry Beadle

34 Samson Tovide
24 John Akinde
45 Frank Nouble
11 Freddie Sears
32 Jake Hutchinson
9 ??????

Wayne Brown is looking for more signings with that responsibility falling to Head of Recruitment Ross Embleton.

The League Two teams this season are:

AFC Wimbledon
Barrow
Bradford
Carlisle
Crawley
Crewe
Doncaster
Gillingham
Grimsby
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Orient
Mansfield
Newport
Northampton
Rochdale
Salford
Stevenage
Stockport
Sutton
Swindon
Tranmere
Walsall

Next games; Carlisle at Home, Ipswich Away in the Carabao Cup and then newly promoted Stockport Away which will be my first game of the season.

Northampton weather will be 23 degrees Celsius, mostly cloudy but warm and a light breeze.

Not much more to say other than a 2-1 win at Sixfields is on the cards.

Safe journey to the travelling U’s faithful.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 08:13 - Jul 30 with 1420 viewsghughes11

Loving the optimism Durham! Not many of us have predicted a Col U away win this weekend!

For comparison here is our starting XI for the first game of last season away at Carlisle (0-0):

Line-up
29. Shamal George
18. Tom Eastman
4. Luke Chambers
5. Tommy Smith
27. Cameron Coxe
3. Ryan Clampin
6. Brendan Wiredu
8. Cole Skuse
10. Alan Judge
9. Frank Nouble
11. Freddie Sears

Sub(s):
17. Sylvester Jasper - replaced Freddie Sears 82 mins
24. Jake Turner - unused
2. Miles Welch-Hayes - unused
14. Noah Chilvers - unused
16. Gene Kennedy - unused
22. Junior Tchamadeu - unused
34. Samson Tovide - unused

I don't think it took us long last year to abandon the 5-3-2 which on paper looks like the best way to get the most from this squad.

Clampin's injury status and Coxe's poor form at the beginning of last season put paid to that! Oh and of course the fact that Nouble couldn't score for toffee or anything for that matter didn't help the cause for 5-3-2!

Hornby for George seems like a downgrade when looking at this season’s preseason games. Although Hornby saved us in enough matches last season (Hartlepool away, Leyton O away to name two off the top of my head), to be given time to prove himself as a sound choice to be Col U's number 1! And that's not even mentioning Shamal George's unforgiveable sending off at home versus Swindon, that we luckily escaped from with a point thanks to a last-minute equaliser!

Wiredu will be a big loss as a box-to-box all round full hearted solid midfielder. However, we won't miss his million and one yellow cards that he seems to pick up during the course of a season and of course his misses from 2,3, 6 yards out! I'm hoping that newbie, Alex Newby will be the one to put those chances away! 6 goals and 3 assists (from Newby) last season doesn't sound the greatest, but compare that to Wiredu (1g/5a) - surely that's a upgrade?!?

Sylvester Jasper, I liked, as well as his replacement Owura Edwards. Getting in a likeminded attacking, creative player like these two would be my priority before transfer window deadline day (unless Newby is that man? I haven't seen enough of him to comment) either on loan or permanent!

Jake Turner was solid enough when he got his chance and I thought he would be the GK we got through the door after his release from Newcastle, as he would have been a free transfer, rather than the undisclosed fee we ended up paying for Hornby. Wayne brown has said that a replacement is needed, but maybe not a huge rush as understudy Ted Collins did himself proud in his debut versus Swindon at home.

Miles Welch-Hayes a solid pro who always gave his all. However, the writing was on the wall that his contract would not be renewed when the permanent signing of Coxe was announced and the emerging talent of Junior Tchamadeu continued to shine!

I think that we have a solid squad of 18 players. However, last season we relied too heavily on goals from Sears. If midfield (Chilvers, Hannant, Judge and Newby) can chip in with at least a few more than they got last season (not hard surely for Hannant), then we could be on to a good thing! And that's not even mentioning goals from Akinde and Nouble!

It's Saturday evening here so maybe I have had one to many already!

However, it is the 1st game of the season! If we can't get excited now, when can we!

Up the U's! C'mon the boys!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 09:37 - Jul 30 with 1402 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 08:13 - Jul 30 by ghughes11

Loving the optimism Durham! Not many of us have predicted a Col U away win this weekend!

For comparison here is our starting XI for the first game of last season away at Carlisle (0-0):

Line-up
29. Shamal George
18. Tom Eastman
4. Luke Chambers
5. Tommy Smith
27. Cameron Coxe
3. Ryan Clampin
6. Brendan Wiredu
8. Cole Skuse
10. Alan Judge
9. Frank Nouble
11. Freddie Sears

Sub(s):
24. Jake Turner - unused

I don't think it took us long last year to abandon the 5-3-2 which on paper looks like the best way to get the most from this squad.

Clampin's injury status and Coxe's poor form at the beginning of last season put paid to that! Oh and of course the fact that Nouble couldn't score for toffee or anything for that matter didn't help the cause for 5-3-2!

Hornby for George seems like a downgrade when looking at this season’s preseason games. Although Hornby saved us in enough matches last season (Hartlepool away, Leyton O away to name two off the top of my head), to be given time to prove himself as a sound choice to be Col U's number 1! And that's not even mentioning Shamal George's unforgiveable sending off at home versus Swindon, that we luckily escaped from with a point thanks to a last-minute equaliser!

Wiredu will be a big loss as a box-to-box all round full hearted solid midfielder. However, we won't miss his million and one yellow cards that he seems to pick up during the course of a season and of course his misses from 2,3, 6 yards out! I'm hoping that newbie, Alex Newby will be the one to put those chances away! 6 goals and 3 assists (from Newby) last season doesn't sound the greatest, but compare that to Wiredu (1g/5a) - surely that's a upgrade?!?

Sylvester Jasper, I liked, as well as his replacement Owura Edwards. Getting in a likeminded attacking, creative player like these two would be my priority before transfer window deadline day (unless Newby is that man? I haven't seen enough of him to comment) either on loan or permanent!

Jake Turner was solid enough when he got his chance and I thought he would be the GK we got through the door after his release from Newcastle, as he would have been a free transfer, rather than the undisclosed fee we ended up paying for Hornby. Wayne brown has said that a replacement is needed, but maybe not a huge rush as understudy Ted Collins did himself proud in his debut versus Swindon at home.

Miles Welch-Hayes a solid pro who always gave his all. However, the writing was on the wall that his contract would not be renewed when the permanent signing of Coxe was announced and the emerging talent of Junior Tchamadeu continued to shine!

I think that we have a solid squad of 18 players. However, last season we relied too heavily on goals from Sears. If midfield (Chilvers, Hannant, Judge and Newby) can chip in with at least a few more than they got last season (not hard surely for Hannant), then we could be on to a good thing! And that's not even mentioning goals from Akinde and Nouble!

However, it is the 1st game of the season! If we can't get excited now, when can we!

Moot point Sir.. "and that's not even mentioning goals from Akinde and Nouble!"
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 10:45 - Jul 30 with 1391 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 08:13 - Jul 30 by ghughes11

Line-up
29. Shamal George
18. Tom Eastman
4. Luke Chambers
5. Tommy Smith
27. Cameron Coxe
3. Ryan Clampin
6. Brendan Wiredu
8. Cole Skuse
10. Alan Judge
9. Frank Nouble
11. Freddie Sears

Sub(s):
24. Jake Turner - unused

ghughes11 - thank you for your interesting post.

At least in New Zealand you can watch today's game, while I have to put up with sound only!

I went to the Carlisle game last season and we struggled to obtain a 0-0 draw and I came away thinking that Carlisle might be a top seven side. How wrong I was, both teams struggled.

I totally agree that 5,3,2 didn't work. In truth it was 5,4,1,

When the great manager Jock Wallace was in charge he played 5,3,2 and I wrote to him complaining. He graciously sent a reply stating that whilst we had 5 at the back he ensured that when attacking we had 5 going forward. That may have been the case then but last season it was not.

I think that Hornby is a good keeper (the howler against Seaweed notwithstanding).

But we do need another striker (which I have been writing for the past 6 years).

I remain optimistic though and I would love it if we beat them (as someone famously once said).

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 10:48 - Jul 30 with 1389 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 09:37 - Jul 30 by gerry_us

Moot point Sir.. "and that's not even mentioning goals from Akinde and Nouble!"

Gerry - Sears will once again have to be the talisman whilst I do like Big John (he missed a sitter against Seaweed and then scored that injury time equaliser).

Perhaps Big Frank might have new shooting boots this season, I do hope so.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 14:30 - Jul 30 with 1347 viewsdurham_exile

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Clampin

Skuse

Judge Chilvers Hannant

Akinde Sears

Sub

Dallison Newby Coxe Marshall Miranda Cooper Collins Nouble

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:31 - Jul 30 with 1333 viewsthrillseeker

Oh dear 1-0
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:39 - Jul 30 with 1320 viewsdurham_exile

And plenty to do now
Hylton ex Luton has scored.

Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:44 - Jul 30 with 1308 viewsthrillseeker

Sears 1-1
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:45 - Jul 30 with 1308 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:31 - Jul 30 by thrillseeker

Oh dear 1-0

Sears equalises from the penalty spot - well won by Noah too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:47 - Jul 30 with 1305 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 15:45 - Jul 30 by wessex_exile

Sears equalises from the penalty spot - well won by Noah too.

Come on we can win this.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:03 - Jul 30 with 1292 viewsgerry_us

I see from BBC Sport team sheet we are playing 4-1-2-1-2.
How the hell does that work
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:09 - Jul 30 with 1286 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:03 - Jul 30 by gerry_us

I see from BBC Sport team sheet we are playing 4-1-2-1-2.
How the hell does that work

LOL - I believe it's called the midfield diamond, but commentary team reckon it's much more of a 4-4-2. Still, Freddie on target to get 46 this season

Up the U's

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:15 - Jul 30 with 1277 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:09 - Jul 30 by wessex_exile

LOL - I believe it's called the midfield diamond, but commentary team reckon it's much more of a 4-4-2. Still, Freddie on target to get 46 this season

I reckon it's 4,1,3,2

but Wessex you are right the classic midfield diamond shape according to the BBC

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:29 - Jul 30 with 1270 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:15 - Jul 30 by durham_exile

I reckon it's 4,1,3,2

but Wessex you are right the classic midfield diamond shape according to the BBC

Up the U's

Attendance 5,463

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:31 - Jul 30 with 1269 viewswessex_exile

I tell you what, even just listening to the commentary, Northampton may be a contender this season, but they sound like an ugly cynical side.

Up the U's

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:31 - Jul 30 with 1269 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:29 - Jul 30 by durham_exile

Attendance 5,463

Up the U's

494 CUFC fans
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:44 - Jul 30 with 1264 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:31 - Jul 30 by thrillseeker

494 CUFC fans

Desmond

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:53 - Jul 30 with 1260 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:44 - Jul 30 by durham_exile

Desmond

Up the U's

Sadly no longer :-(

Up the U's

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:57 - Jul 30 with 1254 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:53 - Jul 30 by wessex_exile

Sadly no longer :-(

Ah, now I know what Desmond meant..Tu Tu. Dah!!!
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 17:05 - Jul 30 with 1246 viewswessex_exile

Disappointing, because I thought we'd done enough for a point, and if Chilvers had taken his last second injury time chance, it would have been. Still, if Northampton are the measure of promotion contenders, definitely some positives to take from that game.

Next stop, Carlisle at home next Saturday - bring it on!

Up the U's

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 17:14 - Jul 30 with 1236 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 17:05 - Jul 30 by wessex_exile

Disappointing, because I thought we'd done enough for a point, and if Chilvers had taken his last second injury time chance, it would have been. Still, if Northampton are the measure of promotion contenders, definitely some positives to take from that game.

Next stop, Carlisle at home next Saturday - bring it on!

I agree, not too downhearted and with a little more good fortune could have secured a point.

Plenty of fighting spirit from the U's

Now what about that extra striker!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:17 - Jul 31 with 1002 viewsgerry_us

We are top of the teams with "Null points"
Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 19:08 - Jul 31 with 963 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 16:17 - Jul 31 by gerry_us

We are top of the teams with "Null points"

Gerry we are still 15th in the table.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 01:27 - Aug 1 with 916 viewsghughes11

Ok, so not the start we wanted, but a brave, battling performance!

From my view on iFollow the formation was a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 (Sears and Akinde seemed to switch to play off the other).

Chilvers started on the right and Hannant on the left. Both trying to work hard to support their defensive partners. The problem with this is that Chilvers was wasted on the right. He does his best work in the centre, behind the striker. Although saying that it was his great work that started from the left that won us the penalty!

Their first goal was a great pass from Hylton into the space between Chambers and Eastman. Tchamadeu is tracking the run from Hoskins but then passes him onto a backtracking Chambers who cannot keep up with the run, which leaves Hoskins able to slam the ball home past Hornby who has no chance!

Their 2nd goal was never a penalty! The ball is slammed against Tchamadeu's arm that is beside his body!

I thought that that would be that, however, Nouble had other ideas! The "Beast from the East" (or South East London to be precise) was back to his best, beating his man three times to get a cross to Noah to accurately slot in off the post to level the scores!

Their 3rd was a swift counter down the left. The impressive Hoskins turned provider when he was given time to cross the ball. Hylton caused a nuisance of himself at the near post where he and Coxe both seemed to miss the ball, leaving Haynes to tap in unmarked at the far post!

This time, I was all ready to shut down the laptop when Chilvers picked up the ball on the edge of the area. A sweet one-two with Freddie saw Chilvers bare down on goal. Eight yards out but slightly off balance he hits the ball straight at the home 'keeper and the ball is cleared! Either side of the goalie and we would have seen a well-deserved equaliser.

Did we do enough to win? Probably not. Did we deserve to lose? Nope!

A very entertaining match, that shows that we can compete against one the favourites for the league away at their place. Last season our away form improved massively from the hopeless can't win North of the Watford Gap Col U teams of yesteryear. However, our Home form was where we left ourselves down.

Carlisle at home next week then to see if we can turn our home form on its head! An 86th minute equaliser by Carlisle saw them come away from the JSCS with a point. Smith and Wright had turned the match around to see Col U lead 2-1 after Omari Patrick put the Cumbrians 1-0 ahead just after half time!

Solid 7/10 from me, which is not bad after a defeat!

Onwards, and upwards! The last time we were defeated in the first game of the season was back in the 2017/18 season (lost 3-1 away at Accrington) and that season ended with us in 13th with no danger of relegation, which I am sure we would all agree would be progress!

Up the U's!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Super U's to start with leathering of the Cobblers at Sixfields on 19:09 - Aug 1 with 826 viewsbwildered

Let’s not look, has we need to go on. The winner, three times we fail to get foot on the ball to stop ball going across the area. It’s sloppy standard stuff, forget who we played or where they might finish, against any team at this level, these are mistakes made by experience guys, just like previous seasons, but now behind a keeper who clean sheets are rare.
Do we need more signings in the squad, no, because it is strong enough, just need more competence.
If we do not improve the home form from the start, we all know where we end up.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024