Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS 22:49 - Aug 5 with 2089 viewsdurham_exile

Following last week’s narrow defeat at Sixfields, Brown, Dunne and Huzzey (that famous sporting trio) bring their charges back to the JSCS for a home match against the Cumbrians led by Paul Simpson.

Without dwelling too long on last week’s game, we were unfortunate to lose in what was a keenly contested game.

Now in the week when we celebrated 14 years at the JSCS (forget about the Athletic Bilbao game on August 4th 2008, I was present for the Huddersfield Town game, an eminently forgettable bore draw). That in a nutshell sums up our tenure at the new stadium. Yes there have been some memorable games (mainly frantic last home games to avoid relegation) and the Spurs League Cup game was probably one of the best. But it is time that we started to make the JSCS a home fortress and that must start tomorrow.

Naming stands is all the vogue at present, our near neighbours embarrassed themselves this week, we did not. Our North Stand will, for the next two years, be the Bank of Telecom Stand. Sound solid investment, Southend take careful note.

Eddie the Eagle would say “For Feathers Sake” we must get stuck into the opposition and record some home victories if we are serious about promotion.

You don’t win the league in August, but a slow start does nothing to keep pace with the top clubs.

I don’t think that the squad is bad. We have two decent keepers in Hornby and new boy Kieran O’Hara, the defence looks sound enough and we have an embarrassment of midfield talent. Once again it is the forward line that looks weak.

If we achieve nothing else before the transfer window slams shut let us secure another striker. We owe Michael Folivi a contract and I think that he would offer something new up front with Freddie Sears. Ross Embleton please note. Make it happen.

Now WB has hinted at changes before the Carlisle game.

I would try the following in a 4,4,2 formation

Hornby

Coxe Chambers Eastman Clampin

Hannant Skuse Chilvers Ashley

Sears Akinde

Subs
O’Hara, Dallison, Newby, Judge, Cooper, Tovide, Tchamadeu

Paul Simpson has already chalked up a victory over Crawley and despite what he says on the iFollow site will fancy his chances at Colchester tomorrow.

The final few games last season were really enjoyable. We played some exciting football with two strikers and a good passing game. I really want to see the team achieve promotion this season and our squad with that gentle tweaking looks good enough to finish in the top seven.

It is about time that we banished any thought about relegation and instead set out to secure those 73 points to extend our season. The doom and gloom must end and we must be more attack minded and this mindset starts at home where improved results will see increased crowds. 2,813 home average attendance was simply awful. Yes of course, poor results will not endear a fickle population to venture out on a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening. But take a leaf from Stockport County. I downloaded my tickets today for next weekend. We can expect a 10,000 crowd at Edgeley Park and it is interesting to note that it is 12 years since we last played Stockport County. They have secured league status again and are many people’s favourites for back-to-back promotions. Yes they have bought wisely and generously, but we have quality players too and they must start to secure results quickly.

WB wants to play his keepers on an almost rotational basis (that is a mistake in my view) the best keeper plays and is number one. Sam Hornby didn’t let us down in the games that he played last season. I haven’t seen Kieran O’Hara play but he seems solid from reports, however rotating them for league games is not the way forward. By all means change it up for the cups but number one on merit must be the battle cry for the 46 games.

The back four of Coxe, Chambers, Eastman and Clampin until Tom Dallison is fit must be the way forward. Junior Tchamadeu is an able deputy at right back but I sometimes wonder whether he is better as a wing back.

Midfield allows us to play two wingers in Hannant and Ashley. Huws was unlucky to be injured in such a cynical way and will play alongside Chilvers or Skuse. Cooper and Newby also offer options. So, there are plenty of opportunities.

Young Hutchinson has been loaned out so Samson Tovide must be offered minutes this season. But what about the pairing up front. Sears is number one on the striking chart with anyone from Akinde, Nouble or Tovide. The team is crying out for Folivi, get it done.

Tomorrow I expect to see a home win, perhaps 2-0 with Sears and Chilvers with the goals.

Weather will be 23 degrees Celsius and sunny. Ideal football conditions.

First home match of the season let’s hope for a decent crowd (3,500+) and smiling Colchester faces at 4:50pm.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 23:17 - Aug 6 with 617 viewsdurham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 21:11 - Aug 6 by wessex_exile

Not good, one hopes the club does a lessons learned exercise to make sure this doesn't happen again. I assume they can't be blamed for the IT fubar, but they can be blamed for not allowing their stewards to exercise some commonsense - I mean, how many people are actually going to turn up without a ticket on the off-chance they could sneak in without paying?

On the subject of Northampton btw, I remember many years ago at Sixfields remonstrating with a home steward, who insisted a granny (my brother-in-law's Mum) empty her water bottle out because she couldn't drink it there and then, and 'bottles with caps' were not allowed. Seems like lack of subjective objectivity is still with us in the stewarding fraternity.

Disappointing to hear this. With only just over 3,000 that is simply not good enough.

There will be 10,000 at Edgeley Park next week, I will let you know what the stewarding arrangements are like and the IT.

I downloaded my tickets yesterday from the Stockport website without incident.

Have watched the highlights tonight and I would reckon a draw today was a fair result.

Incidentally I now book most away tickets from the respective web site. It ensures that you have an account with the opposition team. I keep getting details of Tranmere Rovers special offers, clothing etc.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 08:25 - Aug 8 with 489 viewsWitham

Booking on the away site let's you use a password such as xxxareshite ! Childish I know but somehow satisfying
Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 11:00 - Aug 8 with 469 viewsdurham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 08:25 - Aug 8 by Witham

Booking on the away site let's you use a password such as xxxareshite ! Childish I know but somehow satisfying

Witham I didn't realise that sounds good!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 12:59 - Aug 8 with 455 viewsLeadbelly

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 11:00 - Aug 8 by durham_exile

Witham I didn't realise that sounds good!

Up the U's

Not childish at all, more like compulsory.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 19:40 - Aug 8 with 412 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic control from the ballboy on Saturday!

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 19:42 - Aug 8 with 411 viewsLeadbelly

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 19:40 - Aug 8 by wessex_exile

Fantastic control from the ballboy on Saturday!

Sign him up!

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 21:27 - Aug 8 with 394 viewsdurham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 19:42 - Aug 8 by Leadbelly

Sign him up!

It was actually Michael Folivi in disguise.

Sign him up

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 23:44 - Aug 8 with 377 viewsmfb_cufc

Cumbrians to be outfoxed by the Super U's at JSCS on 21:27 - Aug 8 by durham_exile

It was actually Michael Folivi in disguise.

Sign him up

Up the U's

It was definitely a Colchester striker, as there wasn't a teammate within 40 yards of him.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024