Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointment at Edgeley Park after the optimism that followed the Cup match 11:48 - Aug 15 with 858 viewsdurham_exile

Other commitments have necessarily delayed my thoughts on the game against the Hatters at Edgeley Park on Saturday.

After the hype against the Tractor Boys, I travelled with considerable expectation rather than pure hope.

Considering the doom and gloom surrounding another rail strike (are these working despite making everyone angry) the roads were remarkably clear and despite the fact that City were playing at home at the Emptyad the Manchester bypass behaved itself.

Now this was the first time I had been back to Edgeley Park since the infamous 2-2 draw with Hoofroyd in charge of the U’s in 2010.

We arrived in good time and found the two nearest car parks to already be full. So, the Morrisons about one mile from the ground was the next best option. It was of course very hot about 30 degrees Celsius and the Stockport faithful were out in force. A crowd of 7,826 including 250 of the faithful. An estimate because I have yet to establish exact numbers.

Regarding ground changes, the principal one was the inclusion of seating at the Away end which still remains open and was closed to the Away contingent. Result we were crammed into the Corner flag area in the together Stand. Noticeably some of the more vocal faithful were strangely quiet early doors (a hangover from the shenanigans at Ipswich on the Tuesday night). But there was real expectancy from those who had travelled.

Now I am not going to focus on the negatives but let’s get them out of the way.

Statistics possession: Stockport 73% Colchester 27%
Shots 21 to our 2
On Target 7 to our NIL
Corners 4 to them 1 to us
Fouls 11 by them 13 by us
Yellow Cards 2 to Colchester

Big Frank utterly hopeless

Second half was simply shocking

Now the positives:

Probably the best pie that I have had at a football ground since the Rochdale pies.
It was a meat and potato pie and I had mashed potato, mushy peas and gravy with it and it was superb. The negative I had to queue for 20 minutes because the refreshments stand had only two people serving.

Programme quality - County 68 pages very good articles on the U's, plus a feature on Classic Campaigns. 8 out of 10.

Great performances from Al-Amin Kazeem and Marley Marshall Miranda. I have not seen Kazeem play before (only his second appearance for the U’s) but he was brilliant, energetic, fearless and knowledgeable far beyond his years. He is going to be a star for the club. Marshall Miranda was equally good and had his fearsome shot gone in in the first half then we could have been talking about a different result altogether.

I thought Tchamadeu and Chambers had good games and Hornby was not at fault for the goal. But frankly everyone else was pants.

BDH had set up as follows:

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Eastman Kazeem

Hannant Marshall Miranda Chilvers Clampin

Nouble Sears

Subs
O’Hara Dallison Newby Owens Akinde Coxe Tovide

Now much hype about Stockport in fact each of the teams we have played so far has been spoken of as contenders. Northampton, Carlisle and now Stockport.

The sides changed ends at kick off which meant that the U’s were kicking toward the faithful in the first half and Stockport kicked towards the bulk of their support at the Cheadle end. There was a fresh breeze blowing which meant that much of their passing was overhit.

WB is simply too defensive, we started by isolating Sears up front and the ineffectual Frank simply didn’t win enough possession. He also played on the right which is his worst side.

Colchester were content to allow Stockport to boss possession and I don’t have a problem with that because despite the stats they rarely troubled our goal, but take the game to them on occasions at the very least.

Marley Marshall Miranda operated well in midfield and when he picked up the ball thirty yards out and approached the goal electing to shoot from 25 yards the ball narrowly missed the target to the right and hit the stanchion at the side of net. It deserved better and had we taken the lead then not only would we have had something to defend but also Stockport would have wilted. They were not inspiring.

Drinks breaks were taken at the mid-way point in the half and three minutes was consequently added on. After my eternal queue for the food, my son had a hot dog (all the burgers had been sold) no changes had been made by WB.

General feeling was that we had seen off any threat and that we would step up the effort and take the game to the Hatters. Sadly, that was not the case. Dropping deeper Stockport were let off the hook and we sensed that one goal to either side would win it. Even Scott Quigley was left on the bench fro the Hatters.

Challinor made a vital change first. Kyle Wootton came on after 58 minutes and looked lively. He was also the difference between the two teams. After 67 minutes Crankshaw crossed from the right and Wootton outjumped Tom Eastman to plant a smart header past Sam Hornby. A simple goal.

WB responded by taking Clampin off after 69 minutes and introducing midfielder Charlie Owens (who has been training with the U’s) who looked anything but match fit.
It was in the final third where we needed an injection. Freddie Sears was played but didn’t seem fit, Ossama Ashley was dropped and Samson Tovide was not pressed into action.

The ineffectual and hopeless Frank Nouble was replaced on 80 minutes by Big John Akinde who immediately started to win headers and played Sears in for a rare forward foray.

Luke Hannant was also replaced by Newby on 80 minutes.

We still largely sat back and showed the opposition far too much respect. Yes it was hot but drinks breaks were taken and we are now well into the opening part of the season.
The referee added 6 minutes on at the end of the game from drinks and substitutions. WB introduced Samson Tovide after 93 minutes (chasing the game and in the knowledge that they were nothing special) why only give the striker 3 minutes. Shades of Macca Bonne when he was often allowed 8 minutes.

Now I don’t care what else happens at the club but let’s sign a striker this week.

Everyone can see that we need more firepower let’s make it happen. I also identified someone with pace and commitment who we promised a contract to before his unfortunate injury. Get it done this week.

The result if we don’t is more of the same and frankly the prospect of a seventh season of struggle is not a pleasant thought.

The disappointment and anger from many of the fans was entirely understandable. No one minds (too much) if you play well and lose but to simply give up and allow the opposition to boss the game is intolerable. The defensive mindset is a difficult one to overcome. An example; first half Luke Hannant picked up the ball raced past one defender and then checked, result we lost all momentum, the attack fizzled out and they gained the ball back.

This should have been our first three points. Instead, we once again are looking up instead of looking down.

This will not do.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Disappointment at Edgeley Park after the optimism that followed the Cup match on 13:25 - Aug 15 with 819 viewswessex_exile

Excellent write-up as ever Durham. Now we must dust ourselves down, put it behind us and go again against Bradford City tomorrow night. This will actually be my first time 'watching' the U's this season, which is uncommonly late for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

Incidentally, on the programme front, Forest Green Rovers have already scrapped their matchday programme last season, and Bradford City have announced the same for theirs by the end of 22/23. I expect others will rapidly follow suit, given the time and resources they must require week in week out, not to mention sustainability...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Disappointment at Edgeley Park after the optimism that followed the Cup match on 23:54 - Aug 15 with 707 viewsdurham_exile

Disappointment at Edgeley Park after the optimism that followed the Cup match on 13:25 - Aug 15 by wessex_exile

Excellent write-up as ever Durham. Now we must dust ourselves down, put it behind us and go again against Bradford City tomorrow night. This will actually be my first time 'watching' the U's this season, which is uncommonly late for me, so I'm looking forward to it.

Incidentally, on the programme front, Forest Green Rovers have already scrapped their matchday programme last season, and Bradford City have announced the same for theirs by the end of 22/23. I expect others will rapidly follow suit, given the time and resources they must require week in week out, not to mention sustainability...

Wessex the question of programmes is a vexed one. I personally love to read them and of course to keep them for posterity.

I still read a daily newspaper and buy magazines (mainly for my Granddaughter though).

My youngest son who works in PR, marketing and Social Media tells me that the print media is fast becoming a thing of the past.

I dispute this and I feel that it will be a sad day for football when programmes ae no longer viable. Some clubs have produced online programmes for some years.

However the Tranmere Fanzine was not on sale last year at Prenton Park and I wonder if it has also gone by the wayside.

Perhaps a single sheet for the teams (which clubs already produce) will soon be the only proof to say "I was there". Another grim day I fear.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024