Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
6 Year Old Football Advice 16:58 - Aug 21 with 7168 viewsQPR1506

Hi, my 6 year old who is not a bad little footballer has been asked to go for a trial at Millwall. I live in Kent and if anything would prefer for him to trial at QPR but because of the travelling this is not possible. Palace and Charlton would be more preferable as I cannot stand Millwall. Was just wondering if anyone on here has been in a smiliar situtaion and can offer some advice. Thanks

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:08 - Aug 21 with 5947 viewskingsburyR

I'd leave him play football with his mates for another 3 or 4 years.

Clubs are like long line trawlers. The scoop up everything with some talent then systematically fire them back over the side.

Yes he'll get some coaching but he will fall out of love with footie by the age of 14 if he gets that far.

It's a shitty business, my brother was a school boy at QPR (same team as Gallen and Dichio) and signed with Brighton. Fell out of love with football and never played again after 23!!! - And he was very good!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:19 - Aug 21 with 5911 viewsQPR1506

Kingsbury I was thinking that, think it's too early to throw him in. Thanks for the advice mate.

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:28 - Aug 21 with 5895 viewsBazWoT

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:19 - Aug 21 by QPR1506

Kingsbury I was thinking that, think it's too early to throw him in. Thanks for the advice mate.

Ineed it is, far too early, however, it is obviously worth discussing what it is they can actually offer to a six year old. I doubt it's worth the trouble of taking him.

As an aside, the bloke who discovered Sheringham, as it were, was convicted as a pierre dephile about three years ago, don't let that put you off though.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:39 - Aug 21 with 5876 viewstonyQPR

my son had trials for arsenal when he was 6 he has since had the fun of football coached out of him to the point that he can take or leave the actual playing of the game . loves qpr and everything around that but the actual playing became a chore.. if your son is good enough as mine was/is his chance will come again more than once but if he loses the love of just being able to enjoy playing then that chance is lost,,,,, i really wish i had this advice 8 years ago
6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:42 - Aug 21 with 5862 viewsQPR1506

Tony thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:45 - Aug 21 with 5840 viewsBrazilNutR

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:39 - Aug 21 by tonyQPR

my son had trials for arsenal when he was 6 he has since had the fun of football coached out of him to the point that he can take or leave the actual playing of the game . loves qpr and everything around that but the actual playing became a chore.. if your son is good enough as mine was/is his chance will come again more than once but if he loses the love of just being able to enjoy playing then that chance is lost,,,,, i really wish i had this advice 8 years ago

Agree its young but if left uncoached, they also risk missing out on whats known as the Golden age of learning...if left uncoached etc..he may never reach is full potential. These days players are discarded at earlier and earlier ages... of course there are always the exceptions..the latecomers..those plucked from non league footy in there 20's..but its not the norm. Football involves a lot of luck at the end of the day...not always the best players make it..injuries curtail careers, as happened to a friend of mine...you need to be seen/in the window right time/right person etc..
Its a big decision I guess...kind of why I'm semi glad I had a girl...so i didn't end up forcing a son to live out my unfulfilled dreams..
Good luck either way... and if he really is extremely talented..then wait and send him down the rangers!!..
6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:56 - Aug 21 with 5813 viewsBazWoT

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:45 - Aug 21 by BrazilNutR

Agree its young but if left uncoached, they also risk missing out on whats known as the Golden age of learning...if left uncoached etc..he may never reach is full potential. These days players are discarded at earlier and earlier ages... of course there are always the exceptions..the latecomers..those plucked from non league footy in there 20's..but its not the norm. Football involves a lot of luck at the end of the day...not always the best players make it..injuries curtail careers, as happened to a friend of mine...you need to be seen/in the window right time/right person etc..
Its a big decision I guess...kind of why I'm semi glad I had a girl...so i didn't end up forcing a son to live out my unfulfilled dreams..
Good luck either way... and if he really is extremely talented..then wait and send him down the rangers!!..

There are plenty of qualified coaches at local clubs who don't take it far too seriously.

Don't believe the press bollox about six year olds playing on wembley size pitches for example.

Can't really speak for Kent with the exception of Tonbridge Angels though.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:59 - Aug 21 with 5807 viewstonyQPR

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:42 - Aug 21 by QPR1506

Tony thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

your welcome ...all the very best to you and your son ,,,, keep us informed on how things go
Login to get fewer ads

6 Year Old Football Advice on 19:26 - Aug 21 with 5737 viewskingo

6 Year Old Football Advice on 17:19 - Aug 21 by QPR1506

My son was asked to train with Wycombe when he was 6 and I must admit that the training has really benefitted him. He is just about to start his U9 season and has really enjoyed the matches, his highlight was a 5-0 win against Arsenal. But there is the always the dark cloud of how the boys will react if they get dropped. But if you go in to it with the view that the training will just make him a better footballer and not that he is going to be the next Messi, then I would say take Millwall up and give it a go. He will probably be on a 6 week trial and some boys just don't like it and other love it.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

6 Year Old Football Advice on 19:42 - Aug 21 with 5697 viewsMedwayR

If you would prefer him to play for Charlton get in touch with them, I believe there even a link on their website to arrange a trial.

I think two things are important in this situation; 1) that the child is happy in their environment and 2) strong parenting. The two are very much linked in my opinion.

Obviously your lad will develop more with good coaching, but he'll develop even more if he's happy playing and looks forward to training/playing. He shouldn't feel pressurised into training or playing if he doesn't want to. This is where strong parenting is important, far too many coaches put pressure on kids (and parents) which takes the enjoyment out of it. At the end of the day the coaches are only responsible for the childs welfare when they are coaching them, they won't have to console your lad if he comes home crying because he's not enjoying it, so don't be afraid to take a strong stance towards clubs/coaches, he's your child not theirs, and if he doesn't enjoy it don't feel that you should both just get on with it for fear of missing an opportunity, more opportunities will no doubt come along.

But you should see what Millwall or any other clubs have to say, their approach over the long term not just now, and whether you can see your lad & your family fitting in with the other lads, families and the club.

Good luck!!

Poll: Who’s better?

6 Year Old Football Advice on 19:45 - Aug 21 with 5689 viewsbosh67

Could he hold the ball up for Cisse?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

6 Year Old Football Advice on 09:57 - Aug 22 with 5581 viewsQPR1506

Bosh judging by Saturday then I would say yes!!

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 11:13 - Aug 22 with 5521 viewsCanadaRanger

Can you get any local coaching, say 1-2 hours per week?
6 Year Old Football Advice on 11:41 - Aug 22 with 5483 viewsQPR1506

Yes he does 1.5 hours on a Saturday morning and 1 hour on a Thursday night.

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 12:18 - Aug 22 with 5469 viewsTacticalR

Are there any places near you that play Futsal? It seems a lot more suited to young players:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/jul/05/futsal-england-next-generati

The comments are worth reading through too, including this word of warning from sangels:
"However, I would also say that just teaching kids the rules and getting them to play isn't going to create a generation of Iniestas. This year, I've seen that the futsal club as a whole is run on the whole participation, let's have fun thing. And that's great, there's like 500 people playing it at Plymouth. That's where you see a lot of the Nike advert/FIFA Street play, which is not real futsal. But that wasn't enough to create enough good players for high-level futsal, which is where the really refined skills like decision-making ability, calmness in possession, pressing as a team, sprinting back to get into position, etc is all learnt. You get that through training, and it's at that standard where it creates the kind of player people want it to. However, there is still a complete dearth of decent futsal coaches in this country."
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Air hostess clique

6 Year Old Football Advice on 13:33 - Aug 22 with 5432 viewsheadhoops

Im a qualified FA coach and have run a kids team from under 7's to under 16's - best advice when they are young is let them play with their friends and where they are happy.

Most clubs will have qualified coaches all should help your boy develop. Look out for those who want to win at all costs. They will play their strongest kids (even when ill or injured) and should they find a better option your lad will be dumped.

Work on his technical ability, kick with both feet etc, - above all put your prejudices aside - if Millwall offers him the best of the above, support him he can move to Rangers when he's older.

Most kids give up playing because they stop enjoying it. Have a look at taking the FA course yourself perhaps.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

6 Year Old Football Advice on 13:49 - Aug 22 with 5424 viewsQPR1506

Cheers Headhoops, some sound advice. Much appreciated.

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 14:23 - Aug 22 with 5407 viewsA40Bosh

Although I have no sons of my own only daughters who have never kicked a ball in anger in their entire lives, I have seen a lot of what goes on amongst close friends and family to lead me to believe that no child of 6 should be connected with a professional club until they are well in to double figures age wise.

I have seen families stop talking to each other and transferring their children out of one primary school to another because of perceived bullying and time and again it is all down to the jealousy stoked up by one kid being signed by QPR, whilst the others have only been signed by Brentford and others being let go.

Dad's who are knackered from rushing home from work to take their "special" boy training twice a week and then to a match on the south coast at the weekend - no wonder his Mrs was complaining that she and their daughter felt neglected - and for what, for the club to sling him out when he was 10 as he did not make the grade. Dad then has to find a new local league team for his failed son as he is too proud to take him back to the club he had to leave when the league club dictated that their 8 year old could no longer play for his school or local club.

A dad who was being treated like absolute shi ite by his employers but did not want to leave for another job because at least his current job hours gave him the flexibility to get home on time to take his son training. Then it transpires that the starlet starts having headaches and stomach aches and does not want to go to training - because he is fed up of the pressure of being at a club and only wants to play football.

From what I can see, if a kid is really that good that he is going to make it then let the clubs sign them when they are 11+ and are still interested in the "game".

I haven seen too many failed wannabe footballers now living the dream through their sons and pushing them into clubs at a one age so they get a badge of honour in the school play ground.

God I am glad my girls prefer Glee and baking!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

6 Year Old Football Advice on 15:15 - Aug 22 with 5367 viewsQPR1506

Bosh (and everyone) thanks for all your responses. No matter what the question I can guarantee this site will give me some balanced and well informed responses. Thanks again.

In Redknapp We Trust !

6 Year Old Football Advice on 15:27 - Aug 22 with 5356 viewswood_hoop

I coached school teams aged from 7-11, both boys & girls, can understand your dilema, had a few taken off my hands by pro clubs, unfortunatly some can suck the fun right out of the game for many of the kids and those that are kept after the 'trial' period are very few .

You know your boy best, at such a young age bones, muscles and common sense are still very much in the devolpment stage and you have to act as his guide and mentor, that means you have to keep your feet well and truly on the ground.

My advice would be to try your hardest to let him develop at his speed, encourage him to practise his skills much more than play just to win games, try to keep the 'fun' element about his training, never ever give him a hard time because he has days where he has no heart to do the things you think he should be doing.

Its a wonderful thing when such a young boy shows a natural talent for the game and its not wrong to dream of him going onto bigger & better things, but I am sure that given the right guidance there is no reason if it is what he wants he cannot reach some of the goals, I hope you can find a club where he is happy at and maybe one day he may just wear the hoops.
6 Year Old Football Advice on 16:01 - Aug 22 with 5332 viewswombat

6 Year Old Football Advice on 15:27 - Aug 22 by wood_hoop

I coached school teams aged from 7-11, both boys & girls, can understand your dilema, had a few taken off my hands by pro clubs, unfortunatly some can suck the fun right out of the game for many of the kids and those that are kept after the 'trial' period are very few .

You know your boy best, at such a young age bones, muscles and common sense are still very much in the devolpment stage and you have to act as his guide and mentor, that means you have to keep your feet well and truly on the ground.

My advice would be to try your hardest to let him develop at his speed, encourage him to practise his skills much more than play just to win games, try to keep the 'fun' element about his training, never ever give him a hard time because he has days where he has no heart to do the things you think he should be doing.

Its a wonderful thing when such a young boy shows a natural talent for the game and its not wrong to dream of him going onto bigger & better things, but I am sure that given the right guidance there is no reason if it is what he wants he cannot reach some of the goals, I hope you can find a club where he is happy at and maybe one day he may just wear the hoops.

Friend of mines son has been taken into lutons academy hes now in his second year. they actually treat him well he enjoys going to training and to play matches
he also manages to somehow play tennis to a high level and is on the LTA list of gifted player sin the uk hes been out to spain to training camps and is coached in the uk by some top top coaches they reckon he could go very far in the tennis world , trouble is hes gonna have to make a descision soon tennis or football

dont envy being his dad when that day comes

Poll: which is your favouite foot

6 Year Old Football Advice on 16:47 - Aug 22 with 5295 viewswood_hoop

6 Year Old Football Advice on 16:01 - Aug 22 by wombat

Friend of mines son has been taken into lutons academy hes now in his second year. they actually treat him well he enjoys going to training and to play matches
he also manages to somehow play tennis to a high level and is on the LTA list of gifted player sin the uk hes been out to spain to training camps and is coached in the uk by some top top coaches they reckon he could go very far in the tennis world , trouble is hes gonna have to make a descision soon tennis or football

dont envy being his dad when that day comes

That's one tough call, my boy also showed a talent for tennis, used to miss a couple days of school to attend a 'performance centre' as well as training at his club, had the choice of going full time training or trying to get decent A levels to get a Uni place, he decided to go to Uni and has now completed his second year, in reality probably a wise choice, entirely his and after a two year gap has picked up his raquet again

Still managing to play to a decent standard but reckons it such a tough route to be at the top in tennis and he didn't want to be just one of the also rans that gets knocked out at Wimbledon in the first round.

Hope your friend's son does well in what ever route he chooses.
6 Year Old Football Advice on 18:11 - Aug 22 with 5263 viewsCanadaRanger

6 Year Old Football Advice on 11:41 - Aug 22 by QPR1506

Yes he does 1.5 hours on a Saturday morning and 1 hour on a Thursday night.

Sounds about right for a six year old!

Good parenting!
6 Year Old Football Advice on 18:34 - Aug 22 with 5230 viewsQPRJennyxxx

6 Year Old Football Advice on 13:33 - Aug 22 by headhoops

Im a qualified FA coach and have run a kids team from under 7's to under 16's - best advice when they are young is let them play with their friends and where they are happy.

Most clubs will have qualified coaches all should help your boy develop. Look out for those who want to win at all costs. They will play their strongest kids (even when ill or injured) and should they find a better option your lad will be dumped.

Work on his technical ability, kick with both feet etc, - above all put your prejudices aside - if Millwall offers him the best of the above, support him he can move to Rangers when he's older.

Most kids give up playing because they stop enjoying it. Have a look at taking the FA course yourself perhaps.

good advice, but any old clown can become a coach now, got mates who've done theie badges who couldn't trap a wet bag of cement. get him to a club run by someone who's played a bit. 6 is too young for pro clubs, let him enjoy it till he's a teenager, then all the rubbish six year olds they took will have been offloaded, you'll have a better idea if he really is any good by then. good luck.

mmmmmm Lee Cook xxxxxxxxx

6 Year Old Football Advice on 18:50 - Aug 22 with 5220 viewsCheshireR

My 8 year old son had trials at Bolton last season. He was delighted to have been "spotted" and we had no hesitation in taking him along.
I was concerned that he may be upset if he was rejected at such a young age and consequently tried to manage his expectations.
All in all he enjoyed the experience, but after a few weeks, was not asked to continue.
I must admit that his disappointment was tempered somewhat by the fact that the 50 mile round trip two evenings a week was quite a logistical challenge for me.

As other posters have said - the key to this is making sure that your son enjoys his football. Some of the academies are like football factories and the kids are on a football treadmill. Easy to see how the enjoyment can quickly subside in such conditions. Good luck with your decision.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024