Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Radio 11:12 - Jun 7 with 1694 viewsBluenWightExile

Back in 1971 I won a radio in a draw for selling U's raffle tickets.
Countless moves & 000s of TMS broadcasts in 42 years ended today when it packed up.
I am mortified.
I will retain it!

Pinault-noir

Radio on 12:31 - Jun 7 with 1687 viewsnoah4x4

42 years - world record on one battery perhaps?

Radio on 13:17 - Jun 7 with 1681 viewsBluenWightExile

Radio on 12:31 - Jun 7 by noah4x4

42 years - world record on one battery perhaps?

Very funny Noah!!
It just never restarted as I inserted its latest PP9 !

It was a dear little red square RGD thing - all splattered with gloss paint where I must have been outside painting a window frame or something in Castle Hedingham, Braintree, Benfleet, Somerset, Alderney, Kent or somewhere and was obviously tuned to the Test Match. It's worked fine up to now, albeit a little crackly and in truth....it was probably dying!

It had a feature I have never ever seen before. It was a Medium wave only job but it had a tiny preset pop up pop down button on the top that took you to LW and you had to access LW from a dial the size of a 5p piece on the rear, rotate it with a thumbnail until 1500m came in at which point you left it alone. Over the years it has enabled me to transfer from LW to MW five-live [which I hate for its freneticism...but need for the half times] at literally to press of a single button.

Oh I am sad!

Pinault-noir

Radio on 13:55 - Jun 7 with 1672 viewsLeadbelly

42 years! Is nothing built to last anymore?

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Radio on 22:11 - Jun 7 with 1658 viewscarruthers

What a pity, can it be fixed ?
Radio on 10:39 - Jun 8 with 1645 viewsbwildered

On of the first items of technical equipment which you get to buy and own. Only last week got rid of my hand held Philips LW/MW radio which had owned since the early 70's , also had a leather case which in the past ten years kept falling to pieces. Had repaired several times over the years firstly by my late father (who could repair nearly anything) and then myself, but with much regret now never to hear Radio Caroline , TMS , Essex and U's commentaries on again.
The memories which came out of a radio !!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Radio on 11:36 - Jun 8 with 1643 viewsdurham_exile

BluenWight - do you know the manufacturer and model of the radio.
Sounds like you had a real gem and 42 years of listening pleasure.

I still have a Sony radio which is 33 years old (4 wavebands including Short Wave) which coincidentally I bought in Colchester and it is still in good working order.

But last year I invested in a DAB radio - a Roberts ECO Logic 4 - it really is the bees knees.

TMS in digital sound on 5 Live Sports Extra.

Do you still call radio "wireless" I do occasionally!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Radio on 19:23 - Jun 8 with 1627 viewsBluenWightExile

Thank you for the sympathy and interest Durham!

It's an RGD 'Flirt'! Never flirted with anyone in my life as far as I know. Praps it would have saved 2 failed marriages!?

Yes, I do still refer to it as the wireless and to R4 as the 'Home' service....can't help it really.

Cannot stand R5Live with it's inept announcers, its almost 'orgasmic Premiership lick your bootsness' and its inability ever to give the score of any game not in the Prem when you turn on......but you have to have it at certain times of a Saturday don't you!?

So now.....I need to have another look at my radio situation. What shall I do?!

Pinault-noir

Radio on 20:43 - Jun 8 with 1623 viewsFruitbat

I have a small analogue in my drawer at work, permanently tuned to R4 LW, for checking the cricket score which must be pushing towards 20 years old, its certainly in its late teens!

My last "home" analogue, my garden radio, died a couple of weeks back and was replaced by a rather smart little DAB. My others, one in the kitchen, one upstairs, converted to DAB long ago. Oddly, although i don't miss the intrrruption ofvthe shipping forecast, i do miss the strange music you occasionally got in the background when trying to listen to MW football commentary when it got dark. Very strange phenomenon.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Login to get fewer ads

Radio on 00:11 - Jun 10 with 1597 viewsdurham_exile

Radio on 19:23 - Jun 8 by BluenWightExile

Thank you for the sympathy and interest Durham!

It's an RGD 'Flirt'! Never flirted with anyone in my life as far as I know. Praps it would have saved 2 failed marriages!?

Yes, I do still refer to it as the wireless and to R4 as the 'Home' service....can't help it really.

Cannot stand R5Live with it's inept announcers, its almost 'orgasmic Premiership lick your bootsness' and its inability ever to give the score of any game not in the Prem when you turn on......but you have to have it at certain times of a Saturday don't you!?

So now.....I need to have another look at my radio situation. What shall I do?!

BluenWight - it has to be DAB - better range of stations and clarity of reception, but what make - Roberts, Philips, Sony have all served me well.

Saw a Roberts DAB ECO radio today which has a built in battery charger plus mains.

Happy hunting and happy listening.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Radio on 00:43 - Jun 10 with 1593 viewsBarsidepete

I have sooo resisted posting on this thread. This is one my happy can of worms.

Back in the mid-80s I was a contributing editor to the shortwave magazine FrienDX (that's so long ago I'm not sure about the spelling anymore) .. anyway, that's the current and ever-present North American Shortwave Association *I know I know, I'm a confirmed nerd ..

My first radio of choice was a basic Sony, but then I moved on to a store-brand, but one of the best radios of the time, a Realistic, sold by Radio Shack. It had digital displays. It was such a technological marvel it made my job a lot easier:p

I was in charge of the overnight reports, those roughly framed between midnight to 6 a.m. for US listeners. But I also had my own designated wavelength band I was entrusted with.. In the 14000-15000 kHz spectrum if I recall correctly.

If the Internet had existed back in the day, some of my finds were quite excellent, if I don't say so myself, and it would have been tweeted immediately to alert listeners in the North American hemisphere.

Loved Radio Quito, Equador,.. Radio Deusche Welle,.. BBC World Service,.. Radio RSA-Johannesburg,.. Radio Moscow, Radio Prague,.. I'd have to really think hard for the more obscure ones I discovered for a mag that was published and mailed within a week so all information was about as fresh as you'd get 30 years ago

Anyway,.. I'm ready for the stick so cmon ya!:D .. Radio nutter, so sue me:P

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Radio on 15:58 - Jun 10 with 1576 viewsburnsieespana

What happy memories we all have of radios. Although the new technology, like I can listen to Radio Caroline on my smartphone in Spain, never cease to amaze me but, not the same fun as the little transitor radios we all seem to have had.
BluenWright must say, 42 years for a radio is some record and wonder how many happy days you had listening to Col U!
Wonder what people will be using in 42 years from now?
Radio on 17:09 - Jun 10 with 1573 viewsnoah4x4

Radio on 15:58 - Jun 10 by burnsieespana

What happy memories we all have of radios. Although the new technology, like I can listen to Radio Caroline on my smartphone in Spain, never cease to amaze me but, not the same fun as the little transitor radios we all seem to have had.
BluenWright must say, 42 years for a radio is some record and wonder how many happy days you had listening to Col U!
Wonder what people will be using in 42 years from now?

"What will we be using 42 years from now?"

By then most of us in here will have to communicate with the world via a 'medium' or hope those listening have a Ouija Board.
Radio on 18:37 - Jun 10 with 1568 viewsBarsidepete

In 42 years, I suspect we'll have virtual season tickets available via U's Player or U's Cyborg:D .. Select your seat and with special glasses you'll feel like you're there..

TuneIn radio has made life a bit simpler as well, I suppose, but there really is something about finding a stray signal.

The closest I can compare it to is being a space explorer. Shortwave and radios are still treasures, the way I see it. These days I have a Grundig, a portable one that reminds me of the early Sony I had where you really did have to turn the dial with hands on precision to get your station. The new radio lets me go there directly with frequency inputs, but be that as it may... ∑=)

*edit, TuneIn radio not InTune:D
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Radio on 08:40 - Jun 11 with 1547 viewsBluenWightExile

Yes indeed........in 42 years time I will clearly only be communicating with Noah4x4 somehow!!!

But the pleasure given by my radio is indeed unfathomable. How many times have I heard the U's on it? Many of course and it has given simply 000s of half time scores and full time miseries and a few surprises. I used to be made to cut all the family grass which took ages as the shape was so intricate and the job tedious. But I got a few shillings for it to make up for my brother being paid to sing in Castle Hedingham church choir where I was considered "not up to it and no good" [that hasn't changed!]..........whilst cutting the grass I managed to force the radio into my pocket and attach an earpiece and listen to test match commentary and then half time scores and so forth.

Now it sits forlornly quiet on a shelf even though I am surrounded by packed boxes for a move to a village near Ventnor where I aim to stay put. It's as though the radio thought...........'oh not again!'

I shall never chuck it out and will doubtless try periodic attempts to mend it!

The power of radio is still greater to me than all modern tech because it is less intrusive and is merely faithfull and responsive. Modern tech, while massively valuable [and here I am using it!] can bite back and belittle. A radio just offers positivity and if you don't like what you're hearing, as Pete says you tune somewhere else!

I'd have liked to have used mine to hear we'd signed Watt....

Up the U's

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024