Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. 23:51 - Jun 23 with 1679 viewsjonestones

Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories...

good ones obviously.
Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 23:53 - Jun 23 with 1674 viewsjonestones

What do you miss most about our old ground? Mine would be the rust that used to fall off the beams and into your hair or worse your eyes, when the ball hit the roof of the stand.
Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 09:27 - Jun 24 with 1657 viewscarruthers

Me too with the barside roof, seeing the ball go skywards and everybody hunching their shoulders waiting for the rust, dust and cobwebs to drop on them.
On the other side of the ground, before the game the smell of linament behind the main stand, and afterwards steam from the baths/showers combined with the pong from the nearby gents.
Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 21:12 - Jun 24 with 1630 viewswessex_exile

Cripes - probably quicker to list what I didn't like about the old girl - which was...errr...not much. The barside loos could be a challenging experience at the best of times, obviously there wasn't actually a bar barside in the later years, and I was never a big fan of the Clock End seats when they were installed, but that's about it.

On the flipside - the atmosphere, the terrace humour, the camaraderie, the noise (on a good night), the quality pitch, Friday nights, the miserable old scrotes, the hardcore barsider mob, yes the smell of liniment, bouncing around on the Layer Rd end bleachers, Knee's up Mother Brown, changing ends, the fact visiting fans hated it...there must be more?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 21:52 - Jun 24 with 1625 viewsBarsidepete

Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 21:12 - Jun 24 by wessex_exile

Cripes - probably quicker to list what I didn't like about the old girl - which was...errr...not much. The barside loos could be a challenging experience at the best of times, obviously there wasn't actually a bar barside in the later years, and I was never a big fan of the Clock End seats when they were installed, but that's about it.

On the flipside - the atmosphere, the terrace humour, the camaraderie, the noise (on a good night), the quality pitch, Friday nights, the miserable old scrotes, the hardcore barsider mob, yes the smell of liniment, bouncing around on the Layer Rd end bleachers, Knee's up Mother Brown, changing ends, the fact visiting fans hated it...there must be more?

Curo... goals goals and more goals

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 22:03 - Jun 24 with 1619 viewsjonestones

Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 21:12 - Jun 24 by wessex_exile

Do you remember the phase they went through at collecting money at half time by ask spotty teenagers to carry a blanket round the ground? If I remember rightly a few, well a lot of people took the opportunity to throw coins at the people carrying the blanket!

I also really miss just standing up at a game. The bloody cold feet. The fact you had to barge your way in to your normal spot and the fact you couldn't see half the game because of the posts and the crowd. It was bloody brilliant wasn't it?!!!

So many memories...
Wessex your avatar pic is great, it brings back soo many memories. on 23:29 - Jun 25 with 1594 viewsdurham_exile

Remember all these and others - standing by the Aaron Skelton memorial netting while Col U and Southend fans slogged it out.

Colin Garwood, Trevor Lee, Bobby Gough (a Beckham from the half way line).

The rust on the bar side roof was legendary, were they asbestos sheets I wonder!!!

Atmosphere, classic games Man Utd in the Cup, Soton, Derby in the Cup, Aston Villa league cup, Fumaca for about 25 mins against City! promotions, relegations.

Parking on the military square, soldiers providing the stewarding for big games.

Great times, but we have moved on and the WHCS is now home.
Still have the memories though and the pitch was superb!!!!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024