Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 14:35 - Aug 10 with 6342 viewsMadeira163

New thread for this season.
Guernsey FC start new season in the Ryman South with a trip to Herne Bay.
There had been issues regarding entry into FA Vase/Cup due to FA insisting Guernsey share the gate receipts even though they have to pay for away team to travel here and stay the night. Seemed a bit unfair since Gsy will have gates of 800/1000 where as i'm sure if they play away it maybe one man and his dog in the early rounds. But an appeal to local businesses managed to secure funding so entered into both.
Guernsey need to win 6 matches to get to the first round proper and play Col Utd.
This summer having not played for 8 years have been playing 20/20 cricket and several of my team mates are GFC players so are very aware of the importance of getting to the first round to keep my dream of seeing the U's over here.

Fixtures in case any local games to any of you

Season 2013/14

Key: Match Video In Touch Match Report
August 2013 Score Attendance
10 Sat 13:00 League Away Herne Bay
14 Wed 19:45 League Home Horsham
17 Sat 13:00 League Home Ramsgate
20 Tue 19:45 League Away Corinthian Casuals
24 Sat TBC League Away Crawley Down Gatwick
26 Mon 13:00 League Home Redhill
31 Sat 15:00 FA Cup Away Crawley Down Gatwick
September 2013 Score Attendance
07 Sat 13:00 League Home Whitstable Town
11 Wed 19:45 League Away Burgess Hill Town
14 Sat TBC League Away Tooting & Mitcham United
21 Sat TBC League Home Hythe Town
25 Wed 19:45 League Home Chipstead
28 Sat TBC League Away Eastbourne Town
October 2013 Score Attendance
06 Sun 13:00 FA Trophy Away Barkingside
12 Sat TBC League Away Leatherhead
19 Sat TBC League Home Hastings United
26 Sat TBC League Home Worthing
November 2013 Score Attendance
02 Sat TBC League Away Faversham Town
09 Sat TBC League Home Three Bridges
16 Sat TBC League Away Merstham
23 Sat TBC League Home Peacehaven & Telscombe
30 Sat TBC League Away Walton & Hersham
December 2013 Score Attendance
07 Sat TBC League Home Sittingbourne
14 Sat TBC League Away Horsham
21 Sat TBC League Home Herne Bay
26 Thu TBC League Away Redhill
28 Sat TBC League Home Corinthian Casuals
January 2014 Score Attendance
01 Wed 13:00 League Home Crawley Down Gatwick
04 Sat TBC League Away Ramsgate
11 Sat TBC League Home Walton Casuals
18 Sat TBC League Away Folkestone Invicta
21 Tue 19:45 League Away Chipstead
25 Sat TBC League Home Tooting & Mitcham United
February 2014 Score Attendance
01 Sat TBC League Away Whitstable Town
08 Sat TBC League Home Eastbourne Town
12 Wed 19:45 League Home Burgess Hill Town
15 Sat TBC League Away Hythe Town
22 Sat TBC League Away Hastings United
March 2014 Score Attendance
01 Sat TBC League Home Leatherhead
08 Sat 12:45 League Away Three Bridges
15 Sat TBC League Home Merstham
22 Sat TBC League Away Peacehaven & Telscombe
29 Sat TBC League Home Walton & Hersham
April 2014 Score Attendance
05 Sat TBC League Away Sittingbourne
12 Sat TBC League Away Worthing
19 Sat TBC League Home Faversham Town
21 Mon TBC League Away Walton Casuals
26 Sat TBC League Home Folkestone Invicta
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 07:04 - Aug 13 with 5058 viewsthrillseeker

And a good start to the season for Guernsey winning 1-0
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 14:52 - Aug 13 with 5042 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck Guernsey.
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 06:21 - Aug 14 with 5022 viewsdurham_exile

gsy - Good luck for the season.

Looking at the opposition brings back memories - many years ago I supported Enfield in the Isthmian League and three of the teams that they used to play were Corinthian Casuals, Tooting & Micham and Walton & Hersham.

Also who can forget Chris Kelly the "Leatherhead lip" when they defeated Col U in the FA Cup in the mid 70's!

Almost happy days!

Anyway enjoy the season.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 19:26 - Aug 20 with 4993 viewsMadeira163

Is it a step to far
2 Home defeats in a week
0-1 Horsham
0-4 Ramsgate
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 17:37 - Aug 21 with 4971 viewsMadeira163

Back to winning ways away
Corinith casuals 1 gfc 2
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 09:12 - Sep 1 with 4905 viewsMadeira163

The dream still on
Gsy played their first ever FA Cup away at the league leaders didnt hold out much hope but they won. And results went their way in the fact that Hastings beat Ramsgate (who beat Gsy 4-0 here) so next round Gsy v Hastings

Crawley Down Gatwick 1, Guernsey FC 3
Saturday 31st August 2013, 4:45PM BST.

Crawley Down Gatwick 1, Guernsey FC 3

A superb performance saw Guernsey FC bring the FA Cup to the Channel Islands in style with a 3-1 preliminary round win at Crawley Down Gatwick.

On their debut in the famous competition, the Green Lions were 2-0 up within eight minutes, through Matt Loaring’s stunning strike and Marc McGrath’s close range effort.

The hosts halved the deficit from the penalty spot before half-time, but Ross Allen’s goal from his own penalty midway through the second half sealed the win.

Next up for GFC is a first qualifying round trip to Hastings United on 14 September, after they defeated Ramsgate 1-0.
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 09:19 - Sep 1 with 4904 viewsthrillseeker

A good result

It even made the main BBC Football webpage -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23917135
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 17:33 - Sep 1 with 4895 viewsBarsidepete

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 09:19 - Sep 1 by thrillseeker

A good result

It even made the main BBC Football webpage -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23917135

Well done! Must be all that good karma from here

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Login to get fewer ads

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 07:55 - Sep 15 with 4832 viewsthrillseeker

Another good FA Cup victory for GFC - Hastings 2 GFC 3
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 12:30 - Sep 15 with 4813 viewsMadeira163

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 07:55 - Sep 15 by thrillseeker

Another good FA Cup victory for GFC - Hastings 2 GFC 3

2 games down 4 to go before my dream of seeing col U playing down the road comes true !!!!!
I've told the wife to expect you all first week in November
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 17:49 - Sep 15 with 4805 viewsBarsidepete

Wow, the wondercub

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 17:35 - Oct 3 with 4708 viewsBarsidepete

A frankly brilliant blog in homage to ....

Guernsey 2 Dover 3

http://blog.emiratesstadium.info/archives/31523

There appears to be a growing cult following, as it were, of GSY, because this is smart and delectable, such a reflection of the match and such .. Can some us be considered as original supporters? I don't want to be described as a glory hunter in five, ten years

"...Guernsey v Dover Athletic (played at Lancing)
Guernsey 2 Dover Athletic 3

Why do we go to watch games of other clubs? Why travel 250 miles in a day to watch a game where the crowd is just a few hundred?

Why, when two of us are Arsenal season ticket holders, and the third comes along to Arsenal when work and other commitments allow, do travel elsewhere?

The answer is because it is enjoyable — and because it is a reminder that the vast majority of football in this country is not played in glorious stadia with crowds of 60,000 watching the best footballers on the planet. The journey — even long journeys in the car like this one, which involved getting stuck in an awful traffic jam on the M25 — pass easily with chat, stories, insights, exchange of ideas, and we return to the real world.

And in the case of Guernsey there’s something special that’s an extra.

Emma, one of our little band of three, is a Guernsey woman. My association with the island (its a Crown Territory in the Atlantic off the coast of western France, part of the Channel Islands, in case you don’t know it) comes from my mother’s side of the family. She was evacuated in 1939 just prior to the invasion. I feel an affinity.

As for Drew, well he’s a historian, and he likes football — although unfortunately work commitments meant he couldn’t make this game. But he’s joined in supporting Guernsey as well.

So we drove, we got stuck in traffic, we arrived late, and found that Guernsey were 2-0 down to a team that is some 70 odd places higher up the league pyramid that Guernsey. And still we didn’t fuss or fret or stamp feet or moan. This whole thing gives a new perspective on life.

They were also a much, much bigger team than Guernsey, and I mean that physically. But then given that the island has a population of 65,000, some of whom are old and about half of whom are female, makes it hard to pick a competitive team at all.

But until about three years ago, they didn’t pick one team, they had about half a dozen, all playing each other. Then Guernsey FC was created, and now, at games like this one, the visiting support who have had to travel by plane or ferry, greatly outnumbers the home support.

Indeed the game should have been played on the island, but the match clashed with a rugby fixture in the same stadium, Hastings refused a change of time (citing difficulty in getting a plane (which Guernsey FC have to pay for) back, and so the match was played on neutral territory. Lancing. In Sussex. It’s near the sea.

As I say, Guernsey were 2-0 down when we got there, but in the second half pulled two goals back, only to let in a third near the end, and so exit the FA Cup.

But we cheered the penalty they scored with aplomb and the counter attacking breakaways, which were they main tactic. At the end, the players came across to the Guernsey support and applauded.

In fact I suspect they all know each other.

There was even one amusing incident. There was netting behind the goal in order to stop footballs flying into the gardens of the houses behind. Unfortunately the netting was a bit torn so one off target shot did get stopped by the netting, but then got caught therein.

Repeated attempts by valiant Guernsey men failed to dislodge it.

One of the more bizarre things that you find with a Guernsey fixture is that everyone does know everyone. We stood next to a guy who knew everyone that Emma knew, down to details of who went to work where and when, who had left the island and so on.

It is, as I say, a different kind of experience.

And so to the journey home. The car, parked across the road in the local shopping centre (the GP practice car park being full by the time we arrived) was all safe and sound, and we drove back, listening (naturally) to Arsenal at Swansea — my commentary on the way Talk Sprot treated the incident with our keeper has already been published.

I think I got back about 9pm, in time to watch the Arsenal game on Sky, and that was a pleasure too.

I’m sad Guernsey lost, but I am glad that after so many years Guernsey is able to enter the FA Cup and look forward to next year. Meanwhile this year we have been to Corby Town, Grantham, Cambridge and now Lancing. On the menu for future trips will be some other local clubs (Wellingborough, Kettering and Northampton) plus I really would like to take in Coventry (now playing at Northampton’s ground).

As something to do on a saturday afternoon, I’d recommend it. Believe me, its better than sitting at home and it does serve to remind us what football is about at all its levels..."
[Post edited 3 Oct 2013 17:43]

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 20:13 - Oct 3 with 4693 viewsthrillseeker

A nice blog

It is bizarre but I always look out for the Guernsey scores now due to the introduction to them from this board.

I still find it amusing the FA who are supposedly there to help develop the game seem insistent on hindering Guernsey on their progression with some severe sanctions.

It would be good if Guernsey could continue their rise just to P*SS off the FA.

I wonder whether in time they may have to consider outsiders to Guernsey to progress, maybe some players from the other Channel Islands for starters?
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 09:39 - Oct 7 with 4651 viewsburnsieespana

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 20:13 - Oct 3 by thrillseeker

A nice blog

It is bizarre but I always look out for the Guernsey scores now due to the introduction to them from this board.

I still find it amusing the FA who are supposedly there to help develop the game seem insistent on hindering Guernsey on their progression with some severe sanctions.

It would be good if Guernsey could continue their rise just to P*SS off the FA.

I wonder whether in time they may have to consider outsiders to Guernsey to progress, maybe some players from the other Channel Islands for starters?

Like you thrillseeker always look for the Guernsey result!

Great blog though and so true!
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 16:15 - Oct 7 with 4640 viewsMadeira163

I have contacted local press ref no mention of Colchester

YEOVIL TOWN, Cheltenham Town, Stevenage Borough, Macclesfield Town and Wycombe Wanderers.

Just some of the now Football League names on the FA Trophy, a competition Guernsey FC will make their debut in on Sunday afternoon.

It may not have the prestige of the FA Cup, which GFC went out of last weekend, but it is a competition with a rich history now approaching half-a-century, and it sees clubs enter from the Conference National all the way down to step four of non-league, where the Green Lions currently find themselves.

Thus, it is a trophy that, although not impossible for a Ryman South club to win, is improbable at the very best, as GFC start their campaign at the very start, in the preliminary round.

There are 10 rounds in total from start to the finish at Wembley Stadium in March and one man who came close to that showpiece game was Ryan-Zico Black.
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 16:18 - Oct 7 with 4637 viewsMadeira163

Billericay Town at home next round.

GUERNSEY FC marked their FA Trophy debut in style with a 6-0 demolition of Barkingside yesterday afternoon.

In the preliminary round tie at the Oakside Stadium, there was only ever one winner after the Green Lions raced into a 2-0 lead within the opening 10 minutes and they would go on to run riot.

Despite the fact both sides play at the same level of the non-league pyramid, Barkingside being from Ryman North, the hosts had no answer to Tony Vance’s team and the manager was satisfied with the afternoon.

‘It was a good offensive display from us today, although it may sound strange to say that I wasn’t totally happy with the first half display, despite being 3-0 up,’ said Vance.

‘There were too many occasions where we were trying to play the Hollywood ball, rather than play into the areas we should have been, so we had a chat at half-time and we did better in the second half.

‘We scored some cracking goals and I was able to bring on Kez [Mahon] and Dave [Rihoy] from the bench, which shows our squad strength, while it was great to give young Nick [Trebert] 20 more minutes as well.’
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 19:59 - Oct 7 with 4615 viewswessex_exile

Guernsey FC was one of the topics of conversation on the top deck of the bus from Ashton Gate back to BTM the other weekend - and even though there were U's fans present, it was actually started by City fans, apparently equally keen for an away trip in one of the cups before too long...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 20:52 - Oct 7 with 4620 viewsMadeira163

I was at Bristol !!
Was in nova scotia pre and post match !!!!!!
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 20:35 - Nov 21 with 4437 viewsthrillseeker

Still in top 8

Playing at home to league leaders Peacehaven this weekend
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 4394 viewswessex_exile

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 20:52 - Oct 7 by Madeira163

I was at Bristol !!
Was in nova scotia pre and post match !!!!!!

Bugger Guerno, missed your reply. I was in the Nova Scotia pre-match with my youngest for a few pints* and some food...whitebait was to die for!

* well he did, I stuck to orange juice

Up the U's

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 21:19 - Nov 24 with 4369 viewsMadeira163

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 11:08 - Nov 23 by wessex_exile

Bugger Guerno, missed your reply. I was in the Nova Scotia pre-match with my youngest for a few pints* and some food...whitebait was to die for!

* well he did, I stuck to orange juice

I proberly saw you, i stood at bar
There was 3 blues in the bay window ???
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 21:21 - Nov 24 with 4368 viewsMadeira163

Guernsey 2 Peacehaven 2

Still in the mix but defeat to Leatherhead Tues and draw today losing a little ground.
1-1 after 3 mins, 1-2 then an 85th min equaliser

Still not got to a game yet

Mind you wish i didn't travel to Col U last weekend !!!
Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 19:22 - Nov 25 with 4345 viewswessex_exile

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 21:19 - Nov 24 by Madeira163

I proberly saw you, i stood at bar
There was 3 blues in the bay window ???

Not them, though I knew one of them, and Mr Lamacq put in an appearance for a while too. I was down the far end (to the left facing the bar) for a while, but ended up outside as my son wanted to see some of the boats on the river - including a mock pirate ship that sailed past at one point...

Up the U's

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 19:24 - Nov 25 with 4344 viewswessex_exile

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 19:22 - Nov 25 by wessex_exile

Not them, though I knew one of them, and Mr Lamacq put in an appearance for a while too. I was down the far end (to the left facing the bar) for a while, but ended up outside as my son wanted to see some of the boats on the river - including a mock pirate ship that sailed past at one point...

Next time we must sport red carnations and carry a copy of the Times...

Up the U's

Guernsey FC 2013/2014 on 16:11 - Dec 15 with 4241 viewsMadeira163

Has the bubble burst !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horsham 6, Guernsey FC 2
Saturday 14th December 2013, 9:30PM GMT.

Horsham 6, Guernsey FC 2

Guernsey FC’s bad run of Ryman South continued as a clinical Horsham hammered them in the UK on Saturday afternoon.

The Green Lions were 3-1 down at half-time, but played better than that midway scoreline suggests, as they controlled the game but were made to pay for not finding an early breakthrough.

But two goals conceded in a quickfire spell before the break, after Dave Rihoy had levelled it at 1-1 for GFC, put the visitors up against it.

And after half-time, they were mightily poor as Horsham extended their lead and although Jamie Dodd gave GFC a lifeline, two late goals sentenced the Lions to their fate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024