Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Howlett 11:58 - Nov 19 with 1005 viewsBluenWightExile

The world is small.
The Isle of Wight may be bigger than Alderney was but it's still small.
So..........imagine my surprise when in the tiny hardware store in the village this morning I was buying cellophane which I use to wrap my picures for cradle display and the woman serving me saw my U's badge.
She told me that her uncle is Bobby Howlett! She knew all about the U's.

Was he one of the late great Dick Graham's signings? Don't think he played many times, did he get an injury?

Anyway I was just a youngster and can't think he played many times though I do recall him.

Maybe the world is small!

Up the U's ancient and modern.............

Pinault-noir

Bobby Howlett on 13:17 - Nov 19 with 998 viewswessex_exile

Not a name I knew, so googled him - career ended by a broken leg at Brentford after 16 appearances for the U's, and the season before my first U's match.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Howlett

By a curious coincidence, there was another career-ending injury involving Brentford the following season, when Chic Brodie was felled by the small dog at Layer Rd...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Bobby Howlett on 13:22 - Nov 19 with 993 viewsBluenWightExile

Thanks Wesser.
I was at he Brodie game and it was an amazing thing.
The dog was small and Brodie seemed barely to be touched by him. He was playfully trying to catch the animal by bending down to coax it as you would a pusscat. It didn't run all that hard at him but I am assuming its head caught his kneecap because he suffered a David Lawrence type injury.
Everyone in the crowd was bemused because it all looked so innocuous.
Recall us winning 4-0 too.
We rarely do much against Brentford these days!

Thanks again

Pinault-noir

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024