Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's Best Strike Partnership? 15:18 - Sep 21 with 1454 viewspwrightsknees

The U's having struggled to find the net this season made me wonder which was the best strike partnership we've had. The following come to mind:

Kevin McCurley and Ken Plant
Neil Langman and John Evans
Bobby Hunt and Martyn King
Ray Crawford and Dave Smith
Roy McDonough and Mike Masters
Chris Iwelumo and Jamie Cureton

As and old-timer, I just favour King and Hunt over Iwelumo and Cureton. But what do others think? And are there any I haven't included or didn't see while I was living away?
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:49 - Sep 21 with 1439 viewswessex_exile

I grew up watching the U's with Svarc and Froggatt banging them in, so they'd be on the list. In the modern era it has to be Cureton and Iwelumo, but they pale into insignificance compared to the scoring feats of Hunt and King (not that I ever saw either play for the U's).

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 17:07 - Sep 21 with 1429 viewsbwildered

Totally agree with Wessex, not sure if Crawford was more likely to have Gibbs has a partner has Dave Simmmonds was injured quite often putting himself about . How about Gough and Garwood , McD and Mcgavin or Rooster and Bowen to add to the mix .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 17:11 - Sep 21 with 1425 viewspwrightsknees

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:49 - Sep 21 by wessex_exile

I grew up watching the U's with Svarc and Froggatt banging them in, so they'd be on the list. In the modern era it has to be Cureton and Iwelumo, but they pale into insignificance compared to the scoring feats of Hunt and King (not that I ever saw either play for the U's).

Well said, Wessex. I would like to have seen Svarc and Froggatt, but they were strutting their stuff when I was away. It's difficult to argue against Hunt and King, because their record speaks for itself. In those days, we went EXPECTING to see them score, whereas with Iwelumo and Cureton it was more a case of thinking they probably would. One thing, though, Chris and Jamie were doing their thing two divisions higher than Bobby and "Noddy".
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 17:12 - Sep 21 with 1424 viewsgerry_us

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:49 - Sep 21 by wessex_exile

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I do remember Bobby Hunt and Martyn King and in my view nobody since have come close to those two.
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 18:05 - Sep 21 with 1416 viewswessex_exile

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 17:07 - Sep 21 by bwildered

Totally agree with Wessex, not sure if Crawford was more likely to have Gibbs has a partner has Dave Simmmonds was injured quite often putting himself about . How about Gough and Garwood , McD and Mcgavin or Rooster and Bowen to add to the mix .

Gough and Garwood - what a pair of mutton chops :-)

Up the U's

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 10:07 - Sep 22 with 1369 viewsmfb_cufc

My vote has to go to Cureton and Iwelumo, as they were doing it in the Championship. Purely on weight of goals scored it would have to be Hunt and King.

mfb

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:00 - Sep 22 with 1355 viewsthrillseeker

Cureton & Iwelumo for me closely followed by Adcock & Bowen during my lifetime of support for the U's

I don't want to include Conference football but our Strike Partnership of McDonough, McGavin and Bennett wasn't too shabby
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 20:18 - Sep 22 with 1338 viewsFruitbat

In my time, and in the league, it would have to be

Svarc & Froggat
Adcock & Bowen
Cureton & Iwelumo

They were the ones you just knew were gong to score.
Login to get fewer ads

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 21:23 - Sep 22 with 1332 viewsdurham_exile

Since 1972 - I wouldn't disagree with Svarc and Froggatt but my favourite striker has to be Trevor Lee

Colin Garwood 99th minute equaliser v Derby in the cup has to take some beating.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 15:20 - Sep 23 with 1313 viewsBluenWightExile

Svarc and Froggatt - when stood on barside you just knew one of em would score.
Curo and Iwelumo are still knocking goals in by the way - if only they'd stayed....

Pinault-noir

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 15:22 - Sep 23 with 1313 viewsBluenWightExile

Svarc and Froggatt - when stood on barside you just knew one of em would score.
Curo and Iwelumo are still knocking goals in by the way - if only they'd stayed....

Pinault-noir

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:12 - Sep 23 with 1305 viewsLeadbelly

Cureton and Iwelumo are the best I've seen but, if they disagree, I'll bow to the superior knowledge of those who have been watching the U's for much longer than me.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 15:13 - Sep 24 with 1279 viewsnoah4x4

My 'heart' vote goes to Kevin Lisbie and Scott Vernon simply for what they did to Ipswich in the penultimate Layer Road match before we got relegated from the Championship (2-0). I feel we should not consider those that had success in the Conference. There is no comparison as regards difficulty.

But my 'head' vote must go to Iwelumo and Cureton as they too did it at a higher level. But we should not underestimate the support that they got from others.

However, I reckon Lisbie and Vernon (if still at their peak) would flourish far more than Iwelumo and Cureton if in our current side that (IMHO) plays the best on the deck football we have seen from the U's in many a generation; but we do need goal scorers. It is all a question of styles and tactics; and we now need more pace.
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 10:45 - Sep 26 with 1243 viewspwrightsknees

Super replies everyone - keep them coming. I'm so disappointed that I didn't see any of the Svarc/Froggatt era - must have been a joy. I keep changing my mind between Iwelumo/Cureton and Hunt/King, but the 73 goals between the latter in 1961/2 season will take some beating.

For an individual goal (old-timers may remember this, too) was, in my opinion, one of Tommy Millar's two goals (I can't remember whether it was the 1st or 2nd) in the 6-1 defeat of Hartlepools, 1961/2 season also, when he hit it from just over the haflfway line and it hit the net like a rocket. And the balls were heavier, then.

Sorry to go on about the past, but we have had some great moments as well as low spots, haven't we?
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 12:07 - Sep 26 with 1235 viewsnoah4x4

Best individual goal was (IMHO) Greg Halford versus (if I recall correctly) Sheffield Wednesday, when in the Championship.

It's a wonder it didn't demolish the Net, the Clock End and most of Shrub End given it was hit so hard.
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 16:30 - Sep 26 with 1227 viewspwrightsknees

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 12:07 - Sep 26 by noah4x4

Best individual goal was (IMHO) Greg Halford versus (if I recall correctly) Sheffield Wednesday, when in the Championship.

It's a wonder it didn't demolish the Net, the Clock End and most of Shrub End given it was hit so hard.

I missed that, too, Noah. Coincidentally, the two goals we most admire were from right full-backs.
U's Best Strike Partnership? on 20:27 - Sep 26 with 1219 viewswessex_exile

U's Best Strike Partnership? on 12:07 - Sep 26 by noah4x4

Best individual goal for me is a close run thing.

In very close second place, given both the eventual significance and the rapturous unadulterated joy it provided at the time, was Yeates' breakaway goal at Brentford. It wasn't just that he picked the ball up in our half and just ran and ran and ran, but coming immediately after they had so nearly equalised made it oh so much sweeter...

...but no. 1 without a shadow of a doubt was Scott Barrett at Wycombe :-)

Up the U's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024